Paradise Wash TT- Mtbr.com
    parenting for gnarness

Paradise Wash TT

A combination of obstinance and long shipping time on my 29er fork from RockShox has led me to take my big bike up Gateway and down Paradise. I've ridden Paradise 50 times, but ALWAYS on an XC bike. Its a whole new adventure letting it rip on a bigger-travel bike, and the route to get there a tidy-but-not-depressing bit of training getting used to climbing the new ride. Next week I'm going to try self-shuttling it a few times, unless I can talk the GnarGnar van into some sort of arrangement.

anywho...from the turnoff at the bottom of Bell to the intersection with Quartz trail. I did 8:28 today, which i'm certain is the fastest i've ever done. Post up your times!
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Ahhh the pain....
    I looked back over several rides where I did that section as part of a bigger ride. Fastest was 9:49...not fast!

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    I looked back over several rides where I did that section as part of a bigger ride. Fastest was 9:49...not fast!
    you prolly weren't trying to go fast...i'm sure if it was just part of an hour ride you'd be faster. but the bigger travel bike makes deflections a complete non-issue. fun to 'practice' letting the bike really go but not on something super steep.

Give it a crank
    My no-rush time is 11:38, 9:09 riding with a fast buddy, 9:41 on a healthy solo ride, and my fastest was likely in the McDowell 50 which my gps decided to omit Paradise Trail and more.

I always wish for more suspension travel through all those rocks on PT. All of Quartz Trail downhill on a big fork must be a blast too.

parenting for gnarness
    8:03 woot woot

livin' the dream......
    I will give this a shot after work friday. Was planning on heading over there anyway!

Meatbomb
    18:42 what do I win?

livin' the dream......
    9:20 on the 29er HT.

I almost went OTB going into the tunnel, that got my HR up! I could not get going in the beginning, had 3 really hard pedal strikes on the rocks in that wash after the first switchbacks. Had not been on my bike since BB and was up at 0330 this morning for work, lets see......................what other excuses can I add....!

I will go sub 9 next time! Nice job guys!

I rode in from Gateway and noticed two pretty big jumps built into the side of the trail as you approach the right turn to get on Paradise. Once had been covered up with rocks, the other one looked pretty big to me was fresh with some tire tracks in it. Let's see what happens with this, I don't predict the Stewards will like this

livin' the dream......
    No other takers? C'mon!

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by tjkm View Post
    No other takers? C'mon!
    did 7:59 the other night. I felt kinda slow actually, and had switched to flats - they helped my speed in this case by letting me move the bike around more. I think I can get down to about 7:30 still, I overshot one turn and had to scrub speed.

I saw one of the jumps you mentioned. yeah its not a good one if there are people around as the landing skips a turn in the trail. I was riding up Bell at night (the easy part), will definitely hit it next time.

livin' the dream......
    Nice job! I sub 8 minutes is moving! Have not been over there since last weekend, might get a trail run in later today.

Need more cowbell
    You guys should put this up on Strava. It's a really cool way to keep track of this stuff.

parenting for gnarness
    going to run this tonight on my 29er. should be interesting. holla if you want to join for a NR about 7ish.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Down is definitely more fun. I dont think I could TT it as Im usually beat from going up lost dog to taliesin then back down and up paradise to gateway access center then back to paradise and down to the westworld trail and home.

Might make a special trip over. At least that will give you the "slow guy" number to be below

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    9:20 on the 29er HT.

I almost went OTB going into the tunnel, that got my HR up! I could not get going in the beginning, had 3 really hard pedal strikes on the rocks in that wash after the first switchbacks. Had not been on my bike since BB and was up at 0330 this morning for work, lets see......................what other excuses can I add....!

I will go sub 9 next time! Nice job guys!

I rode in from Gateway and noticed two pretty big jumps built into the side of the trail as you approach the right turn to get on Paradise. Once had been covered up with rocks, the other one looked pretty big to me was fresh with some tire tracks in it. Let's see what happens with this, I don't predict the Stewards will like this
    I dont think they will like em.. but if whoever is building em keeps em from looking super obvious we might actually get to keep em! (i think i ran into them a bit back.. young kids one kid with a demo and a flip cam that they push up quartz then paradise when i saw em)

parenting for gnarness
    8:07 last night on the 29er. Surprised I did that time cause I felt very out of control vs. the AM bike. several spots i got hung up in the rocks or almost lost it, but accelerating and coming back up to speed were effortless.

No question the bigger bike is more fun, but interesting that the times were effectively the same.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Rode out and around Gateway from home last night and the jumps are gone. Theres a bunch of dead cactus and rock piled on it. The smaller one by the saguaro is blended in well enough that its still there.

Didnt TT.

livin' the dream......
    Have not been over there in a few days. Surprised the jumps lasted as long as they did, that other one probably will be discovered at some point!

Cholla- that is odd you ran pretty much the same time on 2 different style bikes. I guess the old "its the rider, not the bike..." debate might have some validity?

parenting for gnarness
    Have not been over there in a few days. Surprised the jumps lasted as long as they did, that other one probably will be discovered at some point!

Cholla- that is odd you ran pretty much the same time on 2 different style bikes. I guess the old "its the rider, not the bike..." debate might have some validity?
    it definitely has some validity. not to toot my horn, cause i suck, but its totally fun flopping bikes and seeing what transpires. I did 8:04 on the 29er Saturday.

livin' the dream......
    Keep rubbing in those fast times..........................you don't suck!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Cholla... youre fast!!

did the Paradise TT... 8 minutes 32 seconds unofficial results using the scientific method of starting when the minute changes then counting the seconds after i stop till it changes again.

Had two spots where the chain rolled off the big ring. Its bent in one spot so I must have found a rock to bash it on near the beginning. It came off once in the small wash with trees before the underpass then once right at at the bottom left hander out of the wash at the end. About 50 ft from the trail post.

I can and WILL go faster

2008 Trance 4" travel since we're keeping track. I KNOW ive gone faster than that on my old Reign X

parenting for gnarness
    7:53 on Saturday, on the 29er in daylight. Had 1 dab and overshot 1 turn - 7:30 is possible!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Hey Cholla, is it possible that the big bike gave you confidence that translated the 29er? Being able to clear things takes away a big mental block that is sometimes holds people back. That is: before "can I clean that? Shuld I try?" after: "of course I can clean it".

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxChem View Post
    Hey Cholla, is it possible that the big bike gave you confidence that translated the 29er? Being able to clear things takes away a big mental block that is sometimes holds people back. That is: before "can I clean that? Shuld I try?" after: "of course I can clean it".
    I've had a 6 inch and 29er for a couple yrs, so not relevant here, but generally yes I agree that riding the AM bike has made me better at techy stuff on 'smaller' bikes. I ride both my bikes on this TT. The XC bike rockets up to speed faster, but I have to ride cleaner. I get very comparable times.

I am Walt
    8:49 today, towards the end of a very long ride. Stumpy 29er geared HT, but kept the gear in the 32x19 gear-inches equivalent, to match my SS. Played it somewhat conservative, as that was my first time TT'ing it. Definitely got bounced around quite a bit, and didn't hit the line in a number of spots. Fun, though, pushing it, and definitely room for improvement.
    Ride more; post less...