Paradise...- Mtbr.com

Thread: Paradise...

I am Walt

Paradise...

Great afternoon to ride; took the RIP out and hit the Paradise Trail, between the Quartz Trail and Bell Pass, for the first time. Opens up a whole bunch of additional options for Lost Dog/Sunrise riding. If you don't know, this is just about all McDowell Sonoran Preserve riding.

Started from home, up 128th, up Ringtail, broke right onto Brain's Wild Ride (the rocky doubletrack), took that to the Taliesin Overlook, down from there, down Quartz, right onto Paradise, over Paradise to Bell. From there, I did what I will call the "Gateway Loop," which is down to Windgate, up Windgate to the Gateway Trail/Loop, up to the Gateway Saddle, then down to Bell and back to Paradise. Then headed back the way I came, with the exception being I finished on Lost Dog rather than Brain's.

That's a good ride - it took me about three hours with a couple quick stops and a brief mechanical. I think I could do this in 2:30 to 2:45 if I wanted to push it. Lots of extended moderate climbing, lots of rocks. Nothing real technical, other than the drop into the tunnel on Paradise.

I really liked the new Paradise Trail connector. Tight, twisy singletrack with some loose dirt and challenging-ly placed rocks. As I headed north on Paradise, I eyed that jumbled, droppy section that leads into the tunnel. Then on the return, I stopped to check the line, went back and hit it. As I committed, I realized that in trying to steer the bike in order to get on the correct line, I wasn't back far enough and my weight was too far forward. Oh Sh*t turned into Oh Yeah as the RIP covered for me and rolled it just fine. Cool move, though.

The RIP was a champ, and I can't tell you how well it climbs - with or without ProPedal on. It just really stays planted and holds the line very well. I thoroughly enjoyed a long ride on it today and can't wait for the next epic.
    Ride more; post less...

Not a Barry supporter.
    Glad to hear it. It's great to have a bike you can trust and that pools you through on some of the sketchy stuff.

That said, After commutting on Friday and Hawes yesterday, plus planning on commuting 3X's this week, I took the day off and got some housework done. Plus, I got to play some soccer with my boy. That was a hoot and worth the time off.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Good ride there Walt. Even better bike.
    "Lots of extended moderate climbing, lots of rocks. Nothing real technical, ..." sums it up nicely.

Anyway, I'm disappointed that you didn't reference any of my hard work (sign pics on the other thread) during this ride. hahahaha.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by V02 deficient
    Anyway, I'm disappointed that you didn't reference any of my hard work (sign pics on the other thread) during this ride. hahahaha.
    That's my bad, because I had read your post that morning and was checkpointing those variouse signs...good pix

What a great area to ride in...
    Ride more; post less...

Members who have read this thread: 0