Paging Tucson Riders:- Mtbr.com
    EDR

New question here. Paging Tucson Riders:

I have done some searching but haven't found the thread that I am looking for (it was maybe 6 months or a year old). I have read that there is a kick butt ride around Mt. Lemmon (maybe) that if you shuttle up to the top, it leaves you with 3 or 4 hours of great trail riding back down.

Can anyone point me to the thread or give me some info on this?

Also is there a bike shop or anyone in town who provides a shuttle up? That would be ideal for us as we plan on only taking one truck.

any help is appreciated. Thanks....

mtbr member
    I think it was YuriB that posted a mostly dirt ride from the top of ML back down paralleling the main highway. I donít know if there is a shuttle service or not but I have at times driven shuttles for river trips. My buddies usually pay me $80 for a long day out and 3-4 hours of driving. I am sure we could figure out something fair for me to meet you on your way into town and drive your rig back down. I am free most weekends except Oct. 28th.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by AZTtripper
    I think it was YuriB that posted a mostly dirt ride from the top of ML back down paralleling the main highway. I donít know if there is a shuttle service or not but I have at times driven shuttles for river trips. My buddies usually pay me $80 for a long day out and 3-4 hours of driving. I am sure we could figure out something fair for me to meet you on your way into town and drive your rig back down. I am free most weekends except Oct. 28th.
    Hey thanks for the offer! I'm booked the next few weekends also and I worry it will get very cold in the upper elevations very soon so we are hoping to squeeze an epic ride in up that way.

I'll search YuriB's posts.

Occidental Tourist
    tis the season and trail work on the bug springs connection is ramping up.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...enie+mini+epic

another big showing by the phx folks only means good things.

mtbr member
    Let me know if you want to do the ride ML highs are in the low 60's but I should think you could do it in early Nov. You won't have to get an early start that's for sure and temps down low are getting better every day.

fear this
    I'm coming down in mid December and I'm planning to do this run as well. Keep us posted on what you discover about it.
    Norco Fluid LT
    Devinci Ollie
    Commencal Meta HT AM chromoly

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by YuriB
    tis the season and trail work on the bug springs connection is ramping up.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...enie+mini+epic

another big showing by the phx folks only means good things.
    EXACTLY!

Thanks YuriB. Looks like a blast!

EDR

Hey YuriB...

Can you enlighten us as to where you all parked for this ride. How much of a climb up was it or did you shuttle all or a portion?

Is this ride even do-able without a guide for a first timer? I would hate to get lost and become Mt. Lion food, haha.

Just another half mile...

Lookie here for map....

Here's my map of the Green Mtn and La Milagrosa route. You can either park at the bottom of the Mt Lemmon Hwy across from the Mt Lemmon Short Road intersection or park at the a gate at the Horsehead and Avenida de Suzenu intersection (see map). Then have someone drive you up the hwy to hte San Pedro vista overlook and drop you off. This is were the Green Mtn trail starts. The road climb up from the bottom intails about 4700' of climbing and then add another hard 2000' once you get on the trail. I wouldn't recommend riding this trail alone, especially if you have never riding it before. Ther are lots opportunity for bike and body carnage and it may be a while before anyone comes by and cell phone is spotty at best.

Map:
    http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/di...album=59&pos=1

Here are a few pics from our big group ride from last year, This sould give you a better idea of the trail conditions:
    http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/th...s.php?album=68

Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    Can you enlighten us as to where you all parked for this ride. How much of a climb up was it or did you shuttle all or a portion?

Is this ride even do-able without a guide for a first timer? I would hate to get lost and become Mt. Lion food, haha.

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride

dale pretty much covered it. we did some stuff at the top of the mtn but as a 1st time you may want to just to green mtn and milagrosa.
    it would be a heack of day to ride up. most folks just shuttle it.

EDR
    Thanks Epicrider and YuriB. That is awesome and very helpful info. I can't wait to try this out.

I think we'll heed the advice of not trying to do too much the first time out even though I won't be riding alone.

We're shooting for Sunday morning.
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 10-25-2006 at 12:41 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0