Pack In\Pack Out, spider trails on Somo- Mtbr.com
    parenting for gnarness

Pack In\Pack Out, spider trails on Somo

Noticed yesterday that the garbage cans along the fireroad at Pima Canyon were removed, and replaced with signs telling people to pack in\pack out. Probably a cost-cutting move. I hope it works. Most people who use the park understand the etiquette, but plenty don't.

Also, there was a ridiculous spider trail near the top of the first extended techy climb up National. You climb hard for ~10 min from the bottom, lots of step-ups, then there is a tight switchback to where you reach a break in the climb, before a few hundred yards of loose stuff til you summit to the ridgeline. Maad and I brushed rocks and such into it and tried to kill it. Based on the tracks, looked like hikers - its not a fun option for a bike vs. the switchback. Either way, shouldn't be there, definitely a big erosion risk. So, please throw some rocks or brush on such trails when you see 'em.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

My other ride is your mom
    I'll pile on to the garbage can deal: I noticed that folks were piling up grocery bags full of dog doo at the base of natty....so plenty of folks, still don't get it.

EDR
    It's the out-of-towner season, and most OOT'rs don't come prepared. The garbage cans are needed. How much could it possibly add to the cost of the park? IDK

I was up there today and didn't notice the spider trail you speak of. But that mountain is such a mess it's hard to notice anything anymore. Some of the segments are 20 feet wide (like climbing up Mormon loop). It's needs major rework I guess. But with all the traffic that that place sees who's gonna fix it? It's a huge task. I'm just grateful to have it at this point. Love Natty!!!

I did see some pack-it-in/pack-it-signs I think, but being a city park, and not some forest land I don't think it's a realistic proposition. I'm still waiting for someone to build a Taco Bell at BV

mtbr member
    Don't you guys see it?? If they just pile up the trash at the head of the spider trails, than no one's liable to take those trails, for fear of going to close to someone elses garbage.
    Bullsh*t is the glue that binds our nation.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Swamp ThAAng
    Don't you guys see it?? If they just pile up the trash at the head of the spider trails, than no one's liable to take those trails, for fear of going to close to someone elses garbage.
    lol. brilliant!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    awesome ...lol
    I did see some pack-it-in/pack-it-signs I think, but being a city park, and not some forest land I don't think it's a realistic proposition. I'm still waiting for someone to build a Taco Bell at BV

powered by bacon
    Quote Originally Posted by Swamp ThAAng View Post
    Swamp Thaaaaaang for president!!

mtbr member
    Jason,
    I dare not touch anything on that mt anymore for fear Ranger Holbert will huant my wife and kids. I did notice the new signage everywhere again. The ones with the finger pointing at you that says, " You are causing irreparable damage, Dont be a trail blazer"!

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    they should set up stocks at the trail entrance and put convicted bike thieves in them.
    a one stop-shopping for doggie relieving...

mtbr member
    I know this isn't a popular method, but we need to take ownership of the trails. By mild force if needed. If the rangers see us as the "good guys" who are packing out not only our trash but others, see threads like this where riders took the initiative to fix an illegal trail and other acts of coolness- maybe when the funding starts coming back to the parks the powers that be will look more favorably on us.

It's a stretch and a hope, but you can't win if you don't play. The rangers aren't noticing good deeds it seems, only bad ones. We need to SHOW the good deeds even if they are rammed down thier throat.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    I know this isn't a popular method, but we need to take ownership of the trails. By mild force if needed. If the rangers see us as the "good guys" who are packing out not only our trash but others, see threads like this where riders took the initiative to fix an illegal trail and other acts of coolness- maybe when the funding starts coming back to the parks the powers that be will look more favorably on us.

It's a stretch and a hope, but you can't win if you don't play. The rangers aren't noticing good deeds it seems, only bad ones. We need to SHOW the good deeds even if they are rammed down thier throat.
    i agree with your 'think globally act locally' attitude. I do a little bit here and there. But, IMO, individual good acts don't mean anything to the rangers unless its bad things. A good guy picking up some trash is just a good park user, but a guy who builds a jump is another 'fooking mtbr'. IMO, if you want to get traction its better to be organized and do a big project with your group. GRO-AZ is my outlet, when I have time, which is rare but hey I paid my membership fee so that the group has some funds to work with and that'sat least backing up my intentions with a donation. Obviously there are a lot of other good groups out there but I really like what the GROAZ leadership has done, how its local folks who like to ride some of the same stuff i do. If you like all-mountain Somo stuff, GRO-AZ is a better choice than IMBA, MBAA etc IMO.

Gravity Riders Organization Of Arizona

Shred...it's the new drug
    Preach on Chollaball! Preach on

mtbr member
    100 percent right Cholla. Hopefully the organizations "make" the rangers see the good deeds. Had to laugh yesterday as I dumped a poo bag I found on the trail and right next to the can is a giant pile of horse poo right where the trailer was parked.

Sent from my {Windows Phone} using Board Express
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

Members who have read this thread: 0