Over/under on illegal campfires this weekend- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Over/under on illegal campfires this weekend

While looking at az511 cams and the cooler temps this weekend, how many illegal campfires will be put out near Flag?

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcatnau View Post
    While looking at az511 cams and the cooler temps this weekend, how many illegal campfires will be put out near Flag?

Tucson is already at 1 out of control up on Mt lemmon (started yesterday, firefighters contained it to 3.7 acres and extinguished)

mtbr member
    Im going to start at 8.

mtbr member
    I'm throwing in my guess at 12. White Tanks was on fire yesterday and I'm feeling lucky.

The .05 percent
    U guys way off. Literally hundreds of fires will be burned in the woods. It really is ridiculous. Buddy was just at my house, campers got themselves a raging bonfire out by the shooting pit at 222. Called in sheriff's dept cannot locate.

mtbr member
    16 is my guess.

White Tanks had 120 acres charred. Reopens tomorrow.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    It's so frustrating and sad to see such blatant disregard of the rules which ends up causing so much destruction every year. The question is, what can be done about it? They already try to blast out these notices via every which way - news, social media, etc. There are sometimes road signs - though not always. I was surprised when heading up to Pine (via 260) a couple weekends ago when fire restrictions were already in place that I didn't see one road sign. There was one on the side of the road but no illuminated message.

Is it more of a ignoring the rules thing, or a true ignorance thing? I'm guessing the former. The only way to do anything about that is to find and put a heavy financial hit on these people. Publish the stories of people paying thousands of dollars in fines. Use the funds to buy more resources whether it be people on the ground or technology to continue to find people and continue the cycle until people figure it out, which may be never but at least we can try. I'm sure I'm being completely naive, but dammit I grew up here in Phx and love being able to go visit these areas responsibly. I want my kids to be able to do that too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Sadly the federal law CFR ( code of federal regulations ) only has a collateral schedule ( fine) of 75 bucks. The good news is our federal district court is trying and any one actually sited will now in addition to the fine have to make a mandatory court appearance. Should they skip it they may eventually be picked up by a US Marshall with a god catcher van. I can assure you our federal judges in this district do not take this lightly

I will say based on experience working as a ranger (forest protection officer)if you were to go to a high point near stone man lake road tonight any time after dark it will probably be more like 20-30 camp fires and at least as many still smoldering Sunday morning. And that is just one small area of the forest. Hundreds is a realistic number. There may be Overtime for law enforcement and forest protection officers I hope. But at times there is basically just 1 cop per million acres give or take.

At some point the district rangers , fire management officials and rec staff will talk and when the lack of respect for a ban reaches a tipping point they may move for a forest closure order. So even if were lucky and no new fire starts happen violators will still screw stuff up for us that live in Northern AZ and have seen the damage again and again.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by phatmike2112 View Post
    It's so frustrating and sad to see such blatant disregard of the rules which ends up causing so much destruction every year. The question is, what can be done about it?
    Helicopter with IR (like search and rescue or sheriff's dept usually has) and a coordinated effort of max enforcement for a weekend or two.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Meatbomb
    Or better yet, just drop retardant on the camp site. That would leave a mark.

My other ride is your mom
    In flagtown, the roads and downtown sidewalks were packed.....wife and I are trying to assess if it's worse this year, or if we're just a bit more shocked at the uptick because things have been so quiet in the past 2 months and the marked contrast from the usual three-day crowds.

As for using IR to find campfires, I do know first hand that during last years ban and closures, Coco County Sheriff air assets were using IR for detection and enforcement.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    In flagtown, the roads and downtown sidewalks were packed.....wife and I are trying to assess if it's worse this year, or if we're just a bit more shocked at the uptick because things have been so quiet in the past 2 months and the marked contrast from the usual three-day.
    I finally made my way to Elden this year and the crowds at the Y were insane. Macys patio has been packed all weekend. It will be interesting to see what comes out of this weekend. Going back to restrictions vs opening everything. I know my employer has said if you can work from home to do your job, stay home until August.

My other ride is your mom
    According to an article in the Daily Sun, USFS reports over 30 illegal forest fires on the Flagstaff ranger district last weekend alone....but that there have been roughly 20 every weekend in may. On top of that, you have the normal $h!tshow of bad humans leaving trash, driving off road, shooting firearms across roads and trails and in general being @$$h0les to those in town and out and about. Photo courtesy of the USFS.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Over/under on illegal campfires this weekend-trash.jpg  

The .05 percent
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    According to an article in the Daily Sun, USFS reports over 30 illegal forest fires on the Flagstaff ranger district last weekend alone....but that there have been roughly 20 every weekend in may. On top of that, you have the normal $h!tshow of bad humans leaving trash, driving off road, shooting firearms across roads and trails and in general being @$$h0les to those in town and out and about. Photo courtesy of the USFS.

What the hell kinda camping trip are you making if you need a bounce house to enjoy your peaceful trip into the woods? I swear Valley dwellers are some of the strangest people I have ever encountered. Got passed on the dirt road leaving Stoneman lake 2x last Sunday. Apparently 30 MPH on a washboard dirt road is too slow.
    Make Flagstaff RAD Again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Or better yet, just drop retardant on the camp site. That would leave a mark.
    That would do it. Over/under on illegal campfires this weekend-thumbnail.jpg Idiots with Rzrs and shooting I'm sure started the fire by my house....
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.