Other sports ?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Other sports ?

Meatbomb

Other sports ?

What other sports do you guys / gals participate in other than MTBing?

Just trying to feel out the Az crowd a bit.

I enjoy Boating ( Lake Powell ), Dirtbiking and Skydiving. And good beer

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    A little running (road and trail), hiking, a VERY little rock climbing (but I really want to do more!), fencing (used to instruct), yoga (sport? maybe not but it's still hard work).

Oh, and of course road biking.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

Occidental Tourist

extreme sports

Chasing around my 18 month old son and convincing his mom I should be allowed to go ride all weekend - the second is by far the most dangerous sport I participate in.

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B

Oh, and of course road biking.

p.
    I will pretend I did not see that

Kathleen in AZ
    Hiking with my cowdogs Boojum and Joopiter. Would love to try backpacking.

Commuting by bike to work,

Pilates before work couple times a week,

Need to get back to the Bowflex for some weight training, but there are just not enough hours in the day to do it all.

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    Would love to try backpacking.

Backpacking.....sniff..how I miss that - used to go all the time in Catalinas, Rincons and Santa Ritas. Now all my back country gear is used for camping at ride events.

caninus xerophilous

Whackamole!

I used to be state champ.

Scuba Diving; over 500 dives in the Red Sea, looking to mix it up with MTB'ing in Baja.
    Sky Diving; 248 jumps before I injured my lower back.
    Surfing; Everyday when I lived in FLA and occasionaly on holidays.
    Rock Climbing; Dabbled in it in the 80's before I moved to FLA, where I traded it for surfing.
    Love to play Volleyball and Basketball but not currently in any leauges.
    Swimming: Next to cycling my favorite exercise.
    Trail Running: Occasionaly when Punches Doggies is on holiday, used to be really into it.
    Hiking and backpacking: Overtaken by MTB'ing but I can be dragged out every now and then by my wife.

I'd like to try canyoning.

Louis

Drugstore Trailrider
    I,m an avid SCUBA diver, having spent about 2,000 hours underwater, and enjoy hiking and backpacking on occasion.

But when I am not trail-riding what I enjoy most is ROAD RIDING.

I love to dress in color coordinated lycra, strap on a heart monitor, and go out and tear through a 40-60 mile "workout".

Oh yeah, I never wave to other riders when I am on my road bike.

John W.
    Body Armor--Don't Leave Home Without It!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Does flying count as a sport? I've got two planes tied down at Scottsdale that I try to fly when I can. Seems like I have plenty of time to fly when I have no job, but that also means no cash. When I have cash, I have no time to fly!!

I also SCUBA dive and ski.

Saucy Size
    I will pretend I did not see that
    Been thinking about adding leg shaving and disco dancing for cross-training purposes.

p.

mtbr member
    Before I messed up my feet, my weekends were usually a dilemma of whether to rock climb or mountain bike. Now my doctor is telling me that I'll never rock climb again, so I guess I can be thankful to not having to choose between my two favorite activities....

Seriously, I think I will climb again...it just might be with alpine mountaineering boots and lesser grade walls, but it'll still be fun, I'm sure of it! (Maybe I'll go looking for more snow and ice too!)

Since my foot surgery, I've picked up road riding, and it's been fun -- really -- ask PaulB. Not only has it been fun -- and gloriously pain free! (And that's been key in recovering from surgery). Road riding has been so much fun, that now that I'm finally allowed to do easy mountain bike rides, I don't want to give up the road riding!

I love to hike and backpack (backpacking's out right now though, too). And canyoneer. And trek. And travel. And raft (it's been a while...). And cross-country ski. And "adventure".

And sit out on a sunny porch and read. And garden. And drink beer. And drink wine. And eat good food. And go for scenic drives. And nap (that one's important!) And go to music festivals. And chat with friends. And occasionally take classes.

And I just got the go-ahead to get back into yoga -- I have to start with the gentle classes and have to skip a lot of the poses, but I'm pretty psyched.

Oh yea, and I really like to plan vacations. Most of them I don't get to go on....but it is still fun to dream...the ones I do get to take are even better!

freak of nature
    mtn biking, mtn biking and did i say mtn biking? backpacking, taking the dogs out, birding and checking out wildflowers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    mtb'ing is always first, but sometimes i enjoy a good hike, and i lift weights(upper bod mostly)so i can mtb better. i used to enjoy swimming at Lake Pleasant, but after the floating poo incident i will not swim there.

Rita

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by crash test dummy
    Backpacking.....sniff..how I miss that - used to go all the time in Catalinas, Rincons and Santa Ritas. Now all my back country gear is used for camping at ride events.
    Then again... it's awfully nice to flip on the 4x4, rumble up to a remote site, and set up camp with all the conveniences and comforts that camping out of the back of the truck provides.

But someday I do hope to strap it all to my back, and the dogs' backs (already have packs for them), and hit the trail into the wilderness where bikes aren't allowed to go. Given the local choices of the Matazels or the Superstitions, which would this group recommend for a first time backpacker??

Fragile - must be Italian

What I like to do...

Let's see...besides mountain biking every week I like to do the following:

Weightlifting - it's my morning ritual and mental stress release (I'm a strong Type-A personality). I pump iron 4x/week in the early monring at the Bally's in Scottsdale or Cave Creek.

Road biking - I enjoy going on 70-100 mile cruises with my friends on the weekends. I recently earned Platinum in the Tour de Phoenix.

Jogging - I like to put in 10 mile runs 1-2x per week. Recently I've backed off on my running schedule because of all the MTB and road racing I've been training for.

Scuba diving - both my wife and I are Advanced Open Water certified and own all of our equipment. We try to get in a few dive trips per year to the Carribbean. I really want to try Micronesia next.

Waterskiing - since the birth of my daughter last summer I haven't taken our boat out, but we thoroughly enjoy waterskiing and wakeboarding at the local lakes (Pleasant usually).

Snowskiing - we plan 2 trips a year to the "real" nearby ski areas (Utah, Colorado, or California). I'm sorry but Snowbowl and Sunrise don't count.

Hiking - we live near the mountain preserve and we'll take our daughter for hikes on the trails in one of those "kid backpacks". My wife and I used to do a lot of backpacking but that has waned in the recent years. We now mostly resort to "car camping" in the Tahoe.

I also will participate in just about any other sporting activity I am invited to -- football, softball, rollerblading, volleyball...you name it. Basically I enjoy doing just about anything physical, edgy, and "fast" -- rock climbing and yoga would bore me to tears.

Thx...Doug

Beyond the stars

I mostly wondering what sport . . .

And good beer
    Falls under?

Welcome to the BEER X-Games

Extreem Beer drinking

yes kids, don't try this at home

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Snowboarding, I recently moved to AZ from New Hampshire where I could drive 2 hours or less and be at any of 10 different ski resorts. Man, I miss that.
    In the summer there were 3 Mtns close to home that offered lift serviced DH. Now that number has gone up to 8. Figures the year that I leave is going to be the biggest year for DH riding & racing ever on the east coast. Oh well, guess I'll have to get use to this shuttling thing.

Anyways back to the subject....I also enjoy hiking, camping and long walks on the beach with that special someone.

Fragile - must be Italian

Poop in the lake

Quote Originally Posted by zer0
    i used to enjoy swimming at Lake Pleasant, but after the floating poo incident i will not swim there.

Rita
    LOL - are you sure it wasn't a 3 Muskateers bar? What's the harm in a little poop anyway?

Friends of mine got their Scuba certification at Saguaro Lake and they said it was one of the scariest dives they've ever made. No telling what you'll find in the muck at the bottom of the lakes around here...or in your case, floating on top.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Really anything I can, The ones I'm most active in now are

Powerlifting, compete in local and state comps
    Jogging (for health)
    marathoning (for masochistic reasons)
    Backpacking
    Hiking etc..
    bouldering
    and other rock climbing when I get the chance

swashbucklerette
    I'm a competitive throttle twister . No matter how much mountain biking I do during the week, I always come back stiff & sore after a race weekend on the motorcycle. It's also extremely mentally demanding. If you're not focused when going fast, you'll end up on your head.

Throttle twisting is taking up most of my time, but I'm working on balancing that with mountain biking a bit better this year. Still, I don't get to attend as many gatherings as I'd like to due to conflicts with race weekends.

Saucy Size

Idea! A ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Girl
    I'm a competitive throttle twister .
    Oh! And all this time I thought you were a competitive nipple twister.

That explains a lot of my confusion. All that body armor and leather seemed counterproductive.

p.

p.s. e me sometime -- we never talk any more. Just a few more weeks of rideably cool weather down here.

Ouch, I am hot!

Aha, the weather patrol ...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    p.s. e me sometime -- we never talk any more. Just a few more weeks of rideably cool weather down here.
    complaining about the weather. What have things come to?

I was a bigtime surfer once, until I moved to the arid wastelands of Arizona. I pretty much stick to mtn bikes now (although there is this rumor that I don't even do that). In the past I spent significant time playing raquetball and basketball, surfing, racing my road bike in the USCF and collegiate Arizona races (couldn't surf at the U of A), and playing D & D. Just kidding on the D & D, never been or wanted to be the Dungeon Master.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    There's a loop I used to do in the Superstitions, but its been ten years since. Starting at the Peralta trailhead, take the trail to Miner's Needle, then to, I think Whisky Spring to LaBarge creek. This time of the year the creek should be running. You can camp along it. Very nice. I think its about a 10 mile loop, so its a nice one-nighter. Be careful, though, its snake season, as you are surely aware. My dog was bitten on the nose on this trail years ago. She stuck her snoot into a bush where a rattler was holed up.

There has been so much development back in there that I'm afraid of what the Peralta road looks like. (sigh)

There's another cool trail, a little higher up, called Rogers Canyon. You may need a 4x4 to get to the trailhead, but, hey, thats part of the fun, right? The cool thing about this trail is that the trail is along a creek, has some nice tent sites, and has some Salado Indian cliff dwellings back in there about 4 miles.

Haven't done much in the Mazatzals.

Skinny legged XC geek

road biking, kayaking, skiing, swimming, off road tri's

I picked up whitewater kayaking in 1998, which led via networking to MTB in 2001, which, in turn, led to off road triathlons and road biking in 2003. But, long before those, I've been a competitive swimmer, occasional skier and bad golfer. I still swim about 3x a week to complement a little gym time and the biking.

Meatbomb
    I forgot Golf... At least I try to golf. My handicap is my swing