mtbr member
    Jun 2009

OT-What is the biggest hydration pack?

I have been going riding in the afternoon a lot, and I end up going through about 100 oz's in about an hour and a half to two hours.
    I haven't run out yet, but would like a little more piece of mind.
    Does anyone make more than a 100 oz bladder?
    Thx!

dirt debutaunte
    Quote Originally Posted by az29er
    I have been going riding in the afternoon a lot, and I end up going through about 100 oz's in about an hour and a half to two hours.

I haven't run out yet, but would like a little more piece of mind.
    Does anyone make more than a 100 oz bladder?
    Thx!
    I haven't seen more than a 100 oz bladder, but with the big Camelbak bags like the Havoc or the Mayhem, you could place a second full bladder inside. I think the key is to start super hydrated.

Or perhaps the real key is to not ride in the afternoon...but kudos to you for being way more hardcore (and by 'hardcore' I mean 'you are insane') than me. I won't ride in the day if I'm not on the trail by 6am.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Well...the biggest bladders are 100oz, so the question is, can you buy and fit another bladder in your pack? (like maybe switch em out when you empty the first?). If it's really hot, and I'm working really hard, I can down 100oz in an hour. While I don't usually bring two bladders, I do reserve that option. What I worry more about in that kind of heat is prehydration and electrolytes. If it is really that hot, staying out for longer is usually not a good idea (as downing water that fast should raise some concern), even if you have the water. That said, I do pack away more than 100oz at times, but usually it's through the use of water bottles in my pack or something similer.

There are several camelback designs that are large enough to accomidate another bladder, not all of them are "biking" designs, but some are. You can also look at the "hiking" designs if you feel you need more capacity. A few extra oz of fabric doesn't really have much of an effect on anything, so having the capacity when you need it is nice. So if your current one is too small for this, go to REI and look at some newer bigger models, then use your old bladder in conjunction with the new one.

The one I use is the Rimrunner, which is friggin huge, almost the size of the trans-alp. It's probably at least 4 years old now, and is due for a change soon.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    i use a blowfish, exandable mid section via zipper, easly could fit 2 100oz bladers, however i keep a bottel of gatoraid in there. last night i did run out of my 100oz on my way back to the trail head, but still had half my gatoraid.

like jayem said you will need to replace more than just the water when you are out in this heat.

mtbr member
    How many cages do you have on your bike? You should have two and then start with two frozen bottles on the bike and one in your pack as well as you 100oz. Should be enough for most rides! That way you can keep gato in the bottles and water in the pack and rotate what you drink.

parenting for gnarness
    Osprey Talon with a 100oz bladder. Room for everything you need.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Platypus has bigger bladders than 100 oz. Their new system is detachable where the tube is valved making carrying 2 bladders easy. Camelbaks taste lousy, do NOT use them, but they still make the best bite valves.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    if you decide on the two bladders approach, the dakine packs also have detachable hoses. i've used two 100oz bladders in my nomad and my apex can hold 3, maybe 4 if i asked it really nice...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Cool, Thanks for the info guys. Does anyone know if the Camelbak Hawg will hold 2 bladders.
    Price point has them on sale for 50 bucks. Sounds like the way to go.
    The water bottle cages seem to get so hot, so fast for some reason.
    Last edited by az29er; 07-24-2009 at 08:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by az29er
    Does anyone know if the Camelbak Hawg will hold 2 bladders.
    Yep, 2 X 100OZ bladders, tools, tube, sandwich, 2 X Gatorade bottles, first aid kit, sunscreen, etc

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Actually, MSR has bladders up to 10L.

My other ride is your mom
    Hey guys, I use a MSR 6L bladder....I just don't fill it up all the time. For most rides, I roll with only 100oz, but for those long, bikepacks in between sources, I fill it up.

Members who have read this thread: 0