• 08-21-2006
    FastrThnU
    3 Attachment(s)
    OT:South Mountain 1964 Map and Natural Bridge
    I guess this is slightly off topic, but since it is about SoMo I thought it might be interesting to some people here.

I have a 1964 South Mountain Park Brochure and in the map it mentions a "Natural Bridge" in the same general area as the Natural Tunnel and Hidden Valley. It even has a picture. I have hiked and biked all over this park and have never seen this. Does anyone know if this still exists? Maybe it collapsed for some reason? I've looked all over the Internet and haven't found out anything yet. I did try to ask the rangers at the park headquarters about it this weekend, but they were gone by 2pm on Sunday.

Check out the names on the map too, a lot of names not on the new map and a lot of current names nowhere to be found.

I had to split the map into a left and right half, or it wouldn't upload. It was either that or resize it, but then the text was illegible.

If anyone wants the entire scanned 1964 brochure as a pdf, I guess I could post that somewhere else.

Richard
  • 08-21-2006
    DurtGurl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FastrThnU
    I guess this is slightly off topic, but since it is about SoMo I thought it might be interesting to some people here.

I have a 1964 South Mountain Park Brochure and in the map it mentions a "Natural Bridge" in the same general area as the Natural Tunnel and Hidden Valley. It even has a picture. I have hiked and biked all over this park and have never seen this. Does anyone know if this still exists? Maybe it collapsed for some reason? I've looked all over the Internet and haven't found out anything yet. I did try to ask the rangers at the park headquarters about it this weekend, but they were gone by 2pm on Sunday.

Check out the names on the map too, a lot of names not on the new map and a lot of current names nowhere to be found.

I had to split the map into a left and right half, or it wouldn't upload. It was either that or resize it, but then the text was illegible.

If anyone wants the entire scanned 1964 brochure as a pdf, I guess I could post that somewhere else.

Richard

That is so cool!!! If you have the original with you at work, please bring it by my office some time this week. I'd like to make a photo copy. Or, send me the pdf file. Thanks for sharing!! Kathleen
  • 08-21-2006
    azdog
    Good find. Not sure about the Natural Bridge. I may have to ask my parents, they used visit the park in 1950's quite a bit. My next Geronimo ride will definitely be more interesting knowing the Indian Burial Grounds are right there. They sure are building that new housing by Holbert Pit really close to that area:eek:
  • 08-21-2006
    FastrThnU
    Quote:

Originally Posted by azdog
    Good find. Not sure about the Natural Bridge. I may have to ask my parents, they used visit the park in 1950's quite a bit. My next Geronimo ride will definitely be more interesting knowing the Indian Burial Grounds are right there. They sure are building that new housing by Holbert Pit really close to that area:eek:

Yeah, it also has me wondering what the "Wonder Spot" is right next to the Burial Grounds. There are few other interesting names on that map like "Wonder Rift" and "Unusual Granite Formations" that I'd like to check out. I've seen that Wonder Rift name on some other maps, and I think I know what it might be, but I'm not 100% sure.

Richard
  • 08-21-2006
    thrash
    Cool!
    I'd certainly be interested in the PDF if you have it. That would be a very cool addition to my current maps of the SoMo area.
  • 08-21-2006
    El Guapo
    Pointergeist
    Does any long time residents remember when the Yaqi indians in Guadalupe freaked out when they built the Point at South Mtn? They used to post signs at the Guadalupe Bridge crossing over and into South Mountain Park with several messages including "Pointergiest", your building on our ancestors graves". Back in the early 80's I used to see them picket the construction site. We would pass them by while on our way to Keg Parties at the Rock House where Mormon and National start. It was quite a seen. Trucks would be 4 wheelin all through the mountains, kegs flowing, stereos cranked up. You could drive basically anywhere in the park and believe me people did.
  • 08-21-2006
    eatdrinkride
    Quote:

Originally Posted by El Guapo
    You could drive basically anywhere in the park and believe me people did.

We did!

4 wheel driving, drinking and general partying all over SM was the norm. With age comes wisdom (so I hear) so I would never consider doing that today, but it sure was a blast at the time :D
  • 08-21-2006
    NardoSS
    Quote:

Originally Posted by El Guapo
    Does any long time residents remember when the Yaqi indians in Guadalupe freaked out when they built the Point at South Mtn? They used to post signs at the Guadalupe Bridge crossing over and into South Mountain Park with several messages including "Pointergiest", your building on our ancestors graves". Back in the early 80's I used to see them picket the construction site. We would pass them by while on our way to Keg Parties at the Rock House where Mormon and National start. It was quite a seen. Trucks would be 4 wheelin all through the mountains, kegs flowing, stereos cranked up. You could drive basically anywhere in the park and believe me people did.

I would LOVE to take my jeep and off road as fast as possible down that fire road to the Rock House!!! Okay, maybe I'd take out 10 or 12 hikers, but I'd give them a ride on my way back out. :thumbsup:

If anyone finds the location of the first picture I'd like to know where that is please.
  • 08-21-2006
    Ya_Hozna
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Odranicus
    If anyone finds the location of the first picture I'd like to know where that is please.

My guess is it's hidden valley/fat man's pass. Did you notice that 20th street and Dobbins is not 20th street, but 18th street?
  • 08-22-2006
    thrash
    PDF Available Here
    For those that are interested, the PDF of the brochure is available here:
    http://www.singletrackrider.net/maps.../southmtn.html

Along with a JPEG version of the map put back into one frame.

Thanks again to FastrThnU for providing this excellent historical view of the mountain, trails, and points of interest.

Cheers

--thrash
  • 08-22-2006
    Ya_Hozna
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thrash

Thanks again to FastrThnU for providing this excellent historical view of the mountain, trails, and points of interest.

Cheers

--thrash

Totally cool! thanks, guys!
  • 08-22-2006
    DurtGurl
    Quote:

What cracks me up is that I was 2 years old when this "historical" pamplet was made. Does that make me historical by association?
  • 08-22-2006
    Casual Observer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ya_Hozna
    My guess is it's hidden valley/fat man's pass.

That was my guess too.
  • 08-22-2006
    thrash
    Nope, it makes the 2 year old 'you' historical....

Everything not immediate or future is historical, yet you still exist and are immediate, and therefore not historical at all...:) Unless you happen to still be 2 years old. In that case, I'd have to say you are indeed historical.

I think that excuse for logic even hurt my own brain...:)
  • 08-22-2006
    FastrThnU
    Natural Bridge MIA
    Quote:

Cheers

--thrash

You're very welcome. I just hope I get a definitive lead (or at least a new picture) of that Natural Bridge.

I've approached Hidden Valley from the following directions and have yet to see it:

1. Up National Trail from Pima Canyon
    2. Up Mormon Loop from Pima Canyon.
    3. Up Mormon from 24th Street.
    4. Up the Canyon (wash) that starts at the end of the dirt road (Pima Canyon).
    5. The Ames trail from San Gabriel Rd in Ahwatukee
    6. Guadalupe Ridgeline from Pima Canyon
    7. Down National Trail from Buena Vista
    8. Ridgeline down from top of Ames trail.
    9. Ridgeline that runs East-West between National and Hidden Valley trail.

Someone said the Natural Bridge is the "top" of the Natural Tunnel, but it doesn't look anything like it to me.

I sent emails with pictures to two rangers in SoMo and have yet to get a response.

Richard
  • 08-28-2006
    bugaroo
    Natural Bridge location
    I think everyone knows what the "Tunnel" is so I will go from there. As you exit the Tunnel heading W. you will take the faint trail that goes off to the left about 30 ft from the exit of the Tunnel. Climb up, head S/SE across the rocks for about 50 yards. You will come to a large angled slab that looks like it would make a cool freeride shot. At the bottom of the slab you will see another faint trail that heads N. That takes you up and over the Natural Bridge. There is a very faint old trail that takes you from there back to National. You come out right at the last technical section of lower National, perhaps 100 yards short of where you make the exit to the "Tunnel".
  • 09-05-2006
    FastrThnU
    1 Attachment(s)
    Thanks for the tip - here's a new picture
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bugaroo
    I think everyone knows what the "Tunnel" is so I will go from there. As you exit the Tunnel heading W. you will take the faint trail that goes off to the left about 30 ft from the exit of the Tunnel. Climb up, head S/SE across the rocks for about 50 yards. You will come to a large angled slab that looks like it would make a cool freeride shot. At the bottom of the slab you will see another faint trail that heads N. That takes you up and over the Natural Bridge. There is a very faint old trail that takes you from there back to National. You come out right at the last technical section of lower National, perhaps 100 yards short of where you make the exit to the "Tunnel".

Thanks a ton for the info. I was in Switzerland all last week, and was looking forward to coming home and seeing if I could find it.

Check out the picture. I tried to take it from the same angle as the original: