poser Administrator

OT: Scorpion erradication advice

I just got stung by a bark scorpion...once again. That makes my total in a year or so about 7 stings.

What are some strategies with getting rid of them that anyone cares to share?

I know that eliminating hiding places is a good one but 6 of my stings have been in my house. So they are hanging out and coming in.

I am going to get one of those black light flashlights to sweep the little boys room when we finish it but I really need to eliminate this. I am getting tired of getting stung cause it really hurts. This time it was my thigh and it really spreads around through all the nerves in your leg really quickly causing a lot of pain and spasms. I don't recommend it.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

powered by bacon
    I spray around my house (inside and out) every couple of months with Ortho Home Defense Max. Now the only ones I find are dead, usually in a corner or near a door right where I sprayed. Brake cleaner will also kill them pretty quick if you spray a live one.

pedaller
    Black light and the weapon of your choice. Search in and around your home nightly. That'll knock the numbers down. Spray to kill their food source (crickets, bugs, etc.)

Is it groundhog day?

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=496343

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=431246

"Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg
    Black light and the weapon of your choice. Search in and around your home nightly. That'll knock the numbers down. Spray to kill their food source (crickets, bugs, etc.)

Is it groundhog day?

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=496343

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=431246

oh man you ain't kidding. The lucky thing is I had just undressed from the bike commute home and picked up my bag off the floor and it touched my leg. Zap. I will tell you what it was really near my naughty bits. Really near. So I got that going for me!
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

I love bike!
    we get monthly pest service. don't know if it actually kills the scorps but i think it takes care of their food source. never seen a scorp in or around our house in queen creek. cats we have might help too

my folks always got pest service too when I was growing up in chandler and never saw them there either.

mtbr member
    Get some cats and ensure you seal all cracks and opening into your house. I too use a black light and I have a monthly pest service.

My other ride is your mom
    I see plenty in my home, sweep outside with a spatula and blacklight around the house gives me hours of thrills....but have never been stung (knock on wood). I never walk barefoot....always keep flip flops around so I can see what is on them/in them before sticking my feet in them. I always shake stuff out, never reach into piles of clothes without shaking out...basically I act like I'm camping in the desert....which we all are if you think about it.

I also don't bother spraying for anything....kill the crickets....the quail don't come around as much....the quail don't come around as much means the other birds dont' come around as much...which means the birds and lizards that do eat the scorpions don't come around as much....you see where I'm going with this.

Besides....spraying does nothing to the scorpions...it just kills their food which drives away stuff that eats scorpions. A temporary solution with negative feedback loops if you ask me.

dirt visionary
    cats do a very good job. In the 10+ years I have been here I have never seen a scorpion inside of any of the places I have lived.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

Ouch, I am hot!
    Do as follows:

Seal every place they can get into the house, including removing and sealing around your AC vents, etc. I mean seal the damn place.

Hunt and kill each night. Get a good blacklight and a bottle of spray (to be used directly during the hunt) from these guys http://shop.scorpionhunter.com. I use a cane with a fairly big circular base to kill them via a crush method. If I miss and/or can't get the cane to them, I spray the crap out of them with the spray. It is supposed to kill them later. Go out each night after 9:00 p.m. The later the better. Turn off all light sources as long as possible before hunting. The best is to turn off all lights before sundown and keep them off until the hunt. Do this every night and kill them all.

Clear all leaves, brush, rocks, etc. around the base of the house. For example, We have river rocks at the side of the house full of leaves. I bet there are a ton of the damn bugs in there.

Check the house, under the bed, inthe covers and sheets, etc. every night with the black light.

When we started doing the above, we would kill 5 or 6 per night outside the house. We are now down to 0 - 1 per night. Zero as in no sighting at all. Have not seen one in the house since this as well.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have battled scorpion problems many times. I have finally won the battle and they are now a rare occurrence. I would say we have about 4 scorpion sightings a year. For my neighborhood, this is pretty good. I know that some areas are more prone to scorpions and other areas never see a scorpion. Here are some things I found useful:

1) Screen all bathroom fans. These are open passages where scorpions could easily get access to your living area.

2) Try to minimize stuff on the floor in your house and your garage. It just gives them a place to hide. It took we a while, but I now have everything off of the floor in my garage. It's either on wheels, hanging on the wall, or hanging on the ceiling. It makes spotting the occasional scorpion very easy.

3) When you feel you have a scorpion infestation, you should make a daily search of your living area just after dusk. They are like vampires and seem to come out just as the sun goes down. They can't seem to help themselves, they have been cooped up all day and as soon as the sun goes down they scurry out of their hiding place. I make the rounds just after the sun goes down with a flash light have had a lot of success. You can make the rounds several times an evening but I have found if you go just once this is the best time.

4) No need for bug spray.

5) Don't give up. Let's say you have 20 scorpions already inside your house. If you just sealed your house and made it hard for any more to get in it could take weeks or months to get that final 20.

Hope this helps. I'm by no means an expert but these are some of the things that I've learned over the years.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    if you want to get rid of scorpions in your house I think the only true way to get rid of them is to buy a new house, not in phoenix......
    and the lurker returns to the dark corner

Fragile - must be Italian

Aggressive cats

Go ahead and follow the advice listed in the other posts...but the fact remains that you will NEVER get rid of these creatures by pest control OR by other preventative measures. You can minimize...but not eliminate...your scorpion problem. If you have scorpions in the area where your house is located, then you have a limitless supply of them. So if you have 10 sightings a month...it might go down to 2 or 3. But you will have this problem forever. And if you stop them temporarily...they will be back within months.

Be careful of many "snake oil" salesmen that promise to get rid of scorpions. They will sell you very expensive treatments such as putting a bead of caulk around your foundation, nets over your vent pipes in the roof...everything...but in the end all of these are a band-aid. Most scorpions enter through windows and doors, which you will not be replacing, and even new windows and doors still have enough wiggle room in them for the scorpions to slip through. The rule of thumb is this -- if you can slide a playing card through a crack, then a scorpion can get through it. Now imagine how many cracks of that size exist in your house...thousands! It's 100% impossible to seal up everything.

How do I know? I live in Scorpion Gound Zero and have battled those damn little buggers for >10 years. I've done EVERYTHING listed in these posts to no avail. Some produced tangible results, but eventually I got scorpions again. I even moved into a "new" house in the same area with all new windows/doors and yet I still get the buggers inside the house.

The ONLY thing that has worked for me has been 2 mean little house cats. These guys are crazy good hunters and have wiped out nearly every scorpion since we got them early last year (they are inside-only cats). We still see scorpions inside the house, but they are either chewed up by the cats OR the cats are in the midst of playing with them. Eventually they kill them.

Anyway, good luck on getting rid of your scorpion problem under control.

Thx...Doug
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I am so allergic to cats I sneezed 2 times just lookin at that pic........

Gonna go get a tissue now, thanks.
    and the lurker returns to the dark corner

mtbr member
    Some of the other things you can do that have not been mentioned before is to minimize the habitat near or adjacent to your house. Obviously, if your house is adjacent to the desert, this is impossible, but what I am referring to is your landscaping and anything that is piled near your home. For example, if you have many palm trees, make sure to keep them trimmed to minimize bark scorpion habitat. If you have wood piles leaning on your home, get rid of it or move it away from the house. Also, other than the desert environment, scorpions seem to be heavily polulated in palm or former orange groves, on wood shingle/shake homes, and (mentioned before) homes with lots of crickets (scorpion food). I'm no expert, and I believe what Dgangi says about you never eradicating the entire problem, but a combination of efforts may prove to minimize the situation.

I live in the city, so I don't have this problem, but one of my neighbors claims to have recently seen a roof rat. All I can say to that is "Oh Shyit"
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

A plethora of pinatas
    I work with a guy known as "The Scorpion Equalizer". He helps people and teaches them how to reduce scorpions in their homes. He will come out and do a an outdoor black light hunt for you to insure you don’t get stung. Best of all, he charges under $50. He literally catches/kills them and does not use any chemicals. He has a twitter page at www.twitter.com/scorpionkiller . He said it is best to email him at thescorpionequalizer@gmail.com .
    Marty

Members who have read this thread: 0