It's a slugfest!

OT: Salome Jug (Az content)

Sorry, no biking content, but there is some AZ action, and pretty much the most fun you can have off a bike (in a wetsuit....)

I took Tuesday off work and took my daughter, my 2 sons, my oldest son's 3 friends, and a buddy of mine and hit Salome Jug.

Decided to take the Gopro and document the hike/scramble/swim. I'm glad I did. The Gopro was a perfect camera for this application.

Salome Jug has been a well kept AZ secret for many years, but the word is out now (much like NRA), so I don't have any problem sharing this footage online, particularly with my MTBR buds. This sweet, smooth granite walled canyon is located a stones throw from Lake Roosevelt.

Not sure if anyone can come out of that canyon without a renewed zest for life and appreciation of it's beauty.

The video's a bit longish (about 10 min), but the virtual tour of the jug will be well worth the load-time wait. For best viewing click on the arrows (bottom right corner) and go full screen.

Later.

-SS

from Steve Connolly on Vimeo.

"I've got nothing to hoard...."

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Very Awesome. The Gropro did an amazing job. I really like the underwater shots at the beginning put you right there. And I always say videos are always a little better when you throw in a good looking girl.

It's a slugfest!
    Mark, stay away from my daughter....

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Salome Canyon is AWESOME!!! I've done it a few times and it's my favorite canyoneering trip ever!

Usually the time to do it is the beginning of April. I'm surprised there's still that much water running.

It's been probably six years since I've been out there, did you guys set up the ropes at the spot where you have to do the big jump or rappel the waterfall or did someone set them up permanently? Once that catwalk out to the jump gets wet it's pretty sketch w/o ropes.

I wanna go again! Loved your underwater footage!

Plus size jersey model
    Sweet video.

It's a slugfest!
    Thanks TG! We brought our own ropes for the final plunge, but there were already some quality ropes attached (believe me....we tested them), so we didn't need ours. We have done this hike in May the past couple of years and the water level has been about the same both times. Yep, that catwalk was a bit slippery if you were not the first person off that jump. I have no problems with the cliff jumps themselves, it's getting to the jump that spooks me....

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleGerl
    Salome Canyon is AWESOME!!! I've done it a few times and it's my favorite canyoneering trip ever!
    It is a classy. The pink rock combined with the natural water slides make it more like an amusement park than a canyoneering trip. I used to go here every year when I was a kid before I graduated to canyons at Zion.

mtbr member
    Dang! I missed last years trip and now I miss this years trip again....I guess its going to be next year before I go.....

I bet my collarbone could have handled those jumps...except maybe that huge one...

vmb
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

looks very fun

This looks like a great adventure !!

I am interested in trying it some time. I am interested in the logistics such as:

1) Location (I know the general area)
    2) Length of trip in the creek (1 mile, 2 miles, etc.)
    3) Age recommendations (I have two sons age 12 & 14, not sure if they would be too young ?)
    4) Gear (aside from good shoes and wetsuits, what else ?)

Is there a link I can go to for more info ? (or if you want, I am PM you if you don't want to provide to the whole thread).

Appreciate it. Thanks Vic

mtbr member
    I've always wanted to go to Salome but I have never done canyoneering before (only some indoor rock climbing). That place looks awesome!

wrecking crew
    Quote Originally Posted by ECEGatorTuro
    I've always wanted to go to Salome but I have never done canyoneering before (only some indoor rock climbing). That place looks awesome!
    Ditto! For years I've always to check it out. Just didn't know if I needed any other skills. Place has always looked like a blast! I had no idea it was considered a 'secret' though. Figured if I knew about it for years, it must not be too secret.
    Last edited by su.ling~; 05-27-2010 at 11:52 AM.
    ~~~

It's a slugfest!

jug info

Vic, you can Google it and find all kinds of directions and opinions. Pretty good driving directions here .

It depends on your child as to whether I would take them down or not. The only real challenge is at the end, when you are faced with either a 50' repel down a waterfall, or a 30' jump from a sketchy take off (that requires a safety rope to get down to the sloped, sometimes slippery, landing to jump from).

Wetsuits are not necessary, but towards the end, everyone was glad they had one on. A couple of us also had helmets, due to the slippery rocks. We had a dry sack, but all my stuff dried quickly on the hike out....

If you wait until the summer months, I hear the water becomes stagnant and there is not enough to push you down the fun slides.

If you haven't been, you have to go....

Regards,

-SS

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    great vid. It looks like such a great trip and one that I would love to take with family or some youth!

vmb
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Slug
    Vic, you can Google it and find all kinds of directions and opinions. Pretty good driving directions here .

It depends on your child as to whether I would take them down or not. The only real challenge is at the end, when you are faced with either a 50' repel down a waterfall, or a 30' jump from a sketchy take off (that requires a safety rope to get down to the sloped, sometimes slippery, landing to jump from).

Wetsuits are not necessary, but towards the end, everyone was glad they had one on. A couple of us also had helmets, due to the slippery rocks. We had a dry sack, but all my stuff dried quickly on the hike out....

If you wait until the summer months, I hear the water becomes stagnant and there is not enough to push you down the fun slides.

If you haven't been, you have to go....

Regards,

-SS

The links are most helpful, thanks !

....just cruisin through
    Most Excellent video, thanks for sharing!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Here are just a few of the key ingredients: dynamite, pole vaulting, laughing gas, choppers.....

mtbr member
    ah man, that looks so cool. I wanna go now!

mtbr member
    BrettN and ScottyN led us (a group of 11 including Mr. and Mrs. Chollaball) into the Jug on Sunday.

Way fun day.

Apparently it is an unwritten rule that all Salome Jug videos need to be 7 plus minutes long. The pace of the second half video does pick up.

banned
    Jun 2011
    Flipping Awesome.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Going to be taking the fam on that little ditty!

Eroding into the trail

Cool trip/video!
    Love the canyon.
    Very nice!

It's a slugfest!
    Can't watch the vid from work, so I'll check it out at home. Interested to see how much water was flowing this time of year...

-SS

No mames guey
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner View Post
    It is a classy. The pink rock combined with the natural water slides make it more like an amusement park than a canyoneering trip. I used to go here every year when I was a kid before I graduated to canyons at Zion.
    My feeling that no trip down Salome is complete unless you run through Parker Creek Canyon in the same day. These 2 canyons, which are only several miles apart, couldn't be more different.

"No Clue Crew"
    2 great videos! Looks like a blast!!!!!

vmb
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

I need to do that hike !!

[QUOTE=u2metoo;8189345]BrettN and ScottyN led us (a group of 11 including Mr. and Mrs. Chollaball) into the Jug on Sunday.

Way fun day.

Apparently it is an unwritten rule that all Salome Jug videos need to be 7 plus minutes long. The pace of the second half video does pick up.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________

I'd love to do that hike (perhaps next year assuming we get a decent amount of rain).

Problem is I don't have the climbing gear.

Not sure if anyone from this thread would be interested in taking someone (me) along ? I'm an avid mountain biker in good shape and I'm not afraid of heights are anything.

Sam - is your crew planning a trip next year ? (would love to join if I could).

Send me a pm if via MTBR if interested. Thanks Vic

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=vmb;8190678]
    Quote Originally Posted by u2metoo View Post
    BrettN and ScottyN led us (a group of 11 including Mr. and Mrs. Chollaball) into the Jug on Sunday.

Way fun day.

I'd love to do that hike (perhaps next year assuming we get a decent amount of rain).

Not sure if anyone from this thread would be interested in taking someone (me) along ? I'm an avid mountain biker in good shape and I'm not afraid of heights are anything.

I did it last year, and I didn't need hiking gear. However, I think I read some place that the rope that leads out to the ledge at the jump was removed. Maybe Sam or whoever can confirm, but when I did it, all I had were my Chacas, Camelbak, and swim trunks.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

parenting for gnarness
    [QUOTE=skinny-tire;8190775]
    Quote Originally Posted by vmb View Post

I did it last year, and I didn't need hiking gear. However, I think I read some place that the rope that leads out to the ledge at the jump was removed. Maybe Sam or whoever can confirm, but when I did it, all I had were my Chacas, Camelbak, and swim trunks.
    ropes were in place at the jump, but i heard from another who did the hike a few days earlier that they were not. Attempting that spot without a rope would be incredibly risky. 2 people from our group had canyoneering experience enough for the rest of us - 100 ft rope, couple harnesses, etc.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    So at the last rappel/jump spot does the rock just drop off a ledge. looked like some jumpers landed <2ft away from the ledge is it that steep there? I noticed in Slugs vid that the particular pool they were jumping in was plenty deep. I just wonder about the slope of where those few were sitting. Ill probably be taking the wife and shes the type that might chicken out so ill have a rope and harness just in case

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Great vids! I did that hike about 6 or 7 years ago. We were too chicken to jump, so we rapped. It is still one of my favorite day trips ever.

I'd like to know more about this Parker Creek Canyon. Directions/tips for linking the two canyons into one trip?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHNIPE View Post
    So at the last rappel/jump spot does the rock just drop off a ledge. looked like some jumpers landed <2ft away from the ledge is it that steep there? I noticed in Slugs vid that the particular pool they were jumping in was plenty deep. I just wonder about the slope of where those few were sitting. Ill probably be taking the wife and shes the type that might chicken out so ill have a rope and harness just in case
    Let me preface this by saying that I'm deathly afraid of heights, and I was about to pee my pants when it came my turn to jump. That said, when I go again, I won't have any hesitation. It was hella fun.

Cholla or somebody can maybe better answer this because it's fresh in their minds, but from I remember, the pool actually goes under the ledge. So, conceivably, you could just slide off the ledge and be fine. The pool is very, very deep, so I don't think there is any risk of hitting the bottom. The jump is about 20 feet. The ledge is very slippery, so the key is to have your footing if you plan to jump away from the ledge.

When we did it, we got there just after a tour group planning to rappel got there. Most were beginners, and it look well over an hour for them to get down, and many of them had to try 3 or 4 times, as they were scared to do it.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The jump itself is not all that scary. It is getting down to the ledge to jump from that is bad. It was a little to sketchy for me, so I roped up and rapped down which is plenty fun in its own right. When I was there, I don't think there were any fixed ropes. Had there been, we probably would have left our rope in the bag, and just did the jump.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire View Post
    Let me preface this by saying that I'm deathly afraid of heights, and I was about to pee my pants when it came my turn to jump. That said, when I go again, I won't have any hesitation. It was hella fun.

Cholla or somebody can maybe better answer this because it's fresh in their minds, but from I remember, the pool actually goes under the ledge. So, conceivably, you could just slide off the ledge and be fine. The pool is very, very deep, so I don't think there is any risk of hitting the bottom. The jump is about 20 feet. The ledge is very slippery, so the key is to have your footing if you plan to jump away from the ledge.

When we did it, we got there just after a tour group planning to rappel got there. Most were beginners, and it look well over an hour for them to get down, and many of them had to try 3 or 4 times, as they were scared to do it.
    the jump was not that bad. getting into the launching spot and getting a good launch were very scary. the rock you approach on is all slippery, then about a 5 foot drop to the 'diving board' which is very slippery and at a downward angle. big head trip, since you can't see the landing spot until you are committed to the jump. i tried to keep my weight back and just run through it, as long as you don't pitch forward or sideways you are ok. Seemed like i was out there crapping my pants for a long time but looking at the vid it was only a few seconds. One of the guys in our group slipped in his approach and fell sideways, very scary moment.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=chollaball;8190918]
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire View Post

ropes were in place at the jump, but i heard from another who did the hike a few days earlier that they were not. Attempting that spot without a rope would be incredibly risky. 2 people from our group had canyoneering experience enough for the rest of us - 100 ft rope, couple harnesses, etc.
    I did this hike Saturday and it was the group right behind me that put up the rope which you guys used Sunday. 10 days earlier, there was another rope in place that was taken down on my second trip this year.
    Yeah, well, the Dude abides.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    My concern is more of the landing at 6:20. The ledge seems aweful close to the landing (not much diff than landing off the edge of a pool i guess) as long as it drops immediately off

Red line indicates rock meeting waterline.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=vmb;8190678]
    Quote Originally Posted by u2metoo View Post

Way fun day.

I don't have the skill set to lead a trip out there, and I've been waiting since 5/27/10 to find somebody who would be willing to drag my sorry a$$ down it.

I know 360 Adventures frequently take trips out there.

I'd say that being prepared with climbing gear is a must. It is a wilderness experience. You may not use a rope, webbing and harness, but if a slab or boulder from the cliffs above pops off you might not be able to jump. If somebody in the group gets hurt when scrambling and swimming through the pools that rope and harness may be a life saver.

It would kinda be PITA if you had to go back up the Jug if you got to the big drop.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Strongbrown;8191228]
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post

I did this hike Saturday and it was the group right behind me that put up the rope which you guys used Sunday. 10 days earlier, there was another rope in place that was taken down on my second trip this year.
    Yeah, I was tagging behind our group, but I believe the webbing we used was already there on the bolt and we left it there. It isn't uncommon for experienced climbers to pull these aids down; not to be a$$es, but because it is a backcountry experience and users shouldn't depend on having it there.

mtbr member
    My concern is more of the landing at 6:20. The ledge seems aweful close to the landing (not much diff than landing off the edge of a pool i guess) as long as it drops immediately off

Red line indicates rock meeting waterline.
    Yeah the landing zone isn't all that big. Actually, I think there is another shelf that extends out a little farther that out of view in this pic.

The dood that slipped up on his jump actually landed kinda close to that shelf.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Ok so it does just drop and its free splash to the bottom (looks like 20ft deep at least) Just wanna make sure if I get there and the water level isnt the same that I know where to jump and how close i can make it. I do wanna try out some rappelling so i might just do that

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Great Video Sam! (as always)

It's a slugfest!
    Nice vid Sam. Looked like a great time. It's even better if you hit the canyon in April or May. Lots more water.

-SS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Slug View Post
    Nice vid Sam. Looked like a great time. It's even better if you hit the canyon in April or May. Lots more water.

-SS
    Totally, I want more water.

Thanks for planting the stoke

dirt visionary
    Very cool indeed!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm a guide for 360 Adventures and we also guide Parker Canyon and Christopher Creek outside Payson in addition to the Jug. Parker and Christopher Creek are much more technical with about 5 rappels each with Parker having the biggest at 50 and 80 ft.

If you're looking for an amazing day in the AZ , look us up online.

Tommy Kelly

Members who have read this thread: 0