OT - Remember this next time you b*tch about the heat...- Mtbr.com
    I am Walt

OT - Remember this next time you b*tch about the heat...

I grew up in Buffalo, NY and this is why I am quite happy in Arizona and don't mind waking up at 4 am to ride in the summer heat...

85-90 degrees and sunny today vs....

Evidently the power will be out in many areas into next week. The heavy, wet snow has just destroyed the power lines and trees that all hadn't dropped their leaves yet. I saw footage of planes at the Buffalo airport that are nose up on the ground due to the weight of the snow on their tails...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ride more; post less...

wrecking crew
    yuck...snow...frigid cold...gah!
    ~~~

im4Gsus
    BRRRRRR!

i don't complain (too much) about having to get up at 4am during the summer in order to "avoid" the heat...
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

nobody

I don't miss the snow at all!

I'm glad I don't have to shovel my roof off anymore (check my profile pic for a good example of this). Nothing in recent memory has given me more satisfaction than telling the new occupants of our old home that the snow shovels and rock salt conveyed.

I do miss the leaves turning but I can drive a couple hours north and see that.

Riding early AM in the desert rules. I don't know what it is about the desert that makes this acceptable to me. I've tried doing this on the east cost where I grew up and Utah where I spent the last ten years or so of my life. Something about the desert makes it easier for me to roll early.
    I'm what Willis was talkin' about

Unrepentant Cowboy SOB
    My hometown got snow a month ago..the homies up there have already been backcountry boarding and skiing.

When I exited the army and entered college in Bozone we got 20 inches of snow on Aug 18.

Funny how Buffalo gets all the press, probably cause the number of people affected I guess. Also odd is how for some reason they can;t drive in the snow there.

I had the pleasure of shoveling and plowing snow in the middle of the night for a job in Rottenchester back on '03 which was interesting to say the least.

I understand walt's pain - one of the reasons I moved down!!!
    "...it feels like.....times have changed."
    "Times maybe. Not me."

South Mountain Bulimic

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I grew up in Buffalo and Syracuse . . . I do not miss the winters. Three months of heat is easier to deal with then 6 months of snow. You don't have to shovel heat.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by JTBAZ
    I grew up in Buffalo and Syracuse . . . I do not miss the winters. Three months of heat is easier to deal with then 6 months of snow. You don't have to shovel heat.
    I'm from Orchard Park - home of the Bills! Went to college at Colgate in Hamilton, NY, SE of Syracuse. Wife went to Syracuse. Both families still in O.P.
    Ride more; post less...

Not a Barry supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    I grew up in Buffalo, NY and this is why I am quite happy in Arizona and don't mind waking up at 4 am to ride in the summer heat...

85-90 degrees and sunny today vs....

Evidently the power will be out in many areas into next week. The heavy, wet snow has just destroyed the power lines and trees that all hadn't dropped their leaves yet. I saw footage of planes at the Buffalo airport that are nose up on the ground due to the weight of the snow on their tails...

MMMMMMMM! I miss the snow and cold! But I'm not complaining about the heat anymore b/c in an earlier thread I said I wouldn't. But I never said I wouldn't say that I like or miss the cold and snow. I don't miss 10"...but a few inches here and htere is nice. Especially at Christmas time!

And Buffalo s*cks. It should be wiped off the map. At least the Bills should be.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Ridin' Dirty
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB
    It should be wiped off the map. At least the Bills should be.
    Ouch!!

How 'bout them Cardinals, eh?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I went to LeMoyne, but would go to the bars up at SU- much more fun. Before moving to Phoenix lived in Williamsville. My family is still in the 'cuse. Small world.

Coors, the american beer.
    4am jesus

i heard if you arent off the trail by about 730a on the super hot days your heart rate will just redline and not come back down.
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

Glutton for punishment

How did I miss this post?

The family and I went up to N. Tonawanda to visit the grandparents and we were there when that storm hit. Unbelievable. A foot or more of heavy, wet, lake-effect overnight.

Never seen anything like it, at least that early, growing up there or living in Oswego/Syracuse.

Definitely happy to not be living in the snow anymore!

ScottN

mtbr member
    I don't need your sympathy! I already went for 3 snow rides since the storm hit. Luckily the major snow hit in the northtowns and the buffalo metro area. All of our riding is in the southtowns and southern tier and we missed all of the downed trees.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by alxbrsk
    I don't need your sympathy! I already went for 3 snow rides since the storm hit. Luckily the major snow hit in the northtowns and the buffalo metro area. All of our riding is in the southtowns and southern tier and we missed all of the downed trees.
    Where in the Southtowns? I grew up and went to H.S. in Orchard Park...
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    If you want to know about riding in WNY, look here http://www.wnymba.org
    There are about 3 good places to ride within an hour of Buffalo and 2 within half an hour. There is about 40 miles of good singletrack in Ellicottville which is an IMBA epic ride.

Chunky Monkey

Bonking ... not feelin' well Out of Towners...

Not one native, how sadddddd.....

mtbr member
    May 2006

Not that Bad

Yeah,
    The snow was really tough on many people, but it was not as bad as many people think..... I loved going out with my bike and riding in the snow... cleaning up is a different story though... This is near the Amherst area
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mike
    amazing photos
    the most remarkable thing about coming home to you, is the feeling of being in motion again, its the most extrordinary feeling in the world. i have two big hands and a heart pumping blood, and a 1967 colt .45 with a busted safety catch. the world shines, as i cross the makin county line, going to georgia.

Members who have read this thread: 0