Braaaapp!

OT - Registration due, short extension?

I'll be asking the MVD tomorrow, but I thought maybe someone here would be able shine some light on it.

The situation :
    We are moving from AZ on the 22nd, but the Passat's registration expires on the 15th. Really don't want to pay over $300 for another year's registration!

I see on the MVD site there is a "30 Day General Use Permit", but not a lot of information is given. I think this is what we want, but I'm not sure.

Anyone been in a simular situation?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    You could do the 30-day and just buy/print online from servicearizona.com.

Conversely, you're only talking about 7 days. It's reasonable suspicion to pull you over, but most cops aren't going to write you until you're more than 30 days past. Generally.

I think I need to Upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant

Conversely, you're only talking about 7 days. It's reasonable suspicion to pull you over, but most cops aren't going to write you until you're more than 30 days past. Generally.
    Please don't listen to this...Cops generaly run the license plate of what ever car they are behind it is just part of what they do, and if it comes up expired then you are getting pulled over and a ticket. Just do the 30-day, it will be cheaper than the ticket for expired registration.

Braaaapp!
    Ok, I just wasn't sure about the 30 day. Online it states it's to be used if -
    The car is for sale, but the plate has already been transfered to a different vehicle
    or
    The vechicle needs repairs to pass emissions, so kind of a way to get it to the shop legally before it can be registered.

I would definitely feel better paying $15 for 30 extra days than driving illegally for a week. Plus, I'm sure it'll take a week or two before we get everything changed over to Arkansas (heck, the car might take 8-10 days to be delievered).

mtbr member
    If you get pulled over, tell them you just mailed it and haven't received it yet. If it was mailed on the 15th, it's not unreasonable to think that it hasn't been returned to you yet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    F-it, they will never take me alive.......
    and the lurker returns to the dark corner

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AzSpeedfreek
    Please don't listen to this...Cops generaly run the license plate of what ever car they are behind it is just part of what they do, and if it comes up expired then you are getting pulled over and a ticket. Just do the 30-day, it will be cheaper than the ticket for expired registration.
    OK. I do, uh, have a little experience in this arena. But, as always, do whatever seems best. The 30-day is convenient.

Don't do as Ken suggests and lie about it. The MVD return on the officer's computer screen will catch that lie and then you will get the ticket you probably wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Get the temporary registration, I'm in the process of getting my vehicles registered from Texas to Arizona and its pretty much a clusterf*ck due to Texas' method of vehicle registration. Texas' registration is a sticker with a barcode that lives on your windshield, no paper registration or tags on your plate. Arizona (and other states) don't recognize the sticker and want to see paper registration... anyhow I digress....

Get the temporary registration, if you're in doubt, look up what the penalty for not having registration is vs the cost of the temp and it all makes sense.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I am sure the state would rather have you get the 30-day and get some $$$ than you bypassing it.

Seems reasonable, even if not within the specified limitations of use.

OK. I do, uh, have a little experience in this arena. But, as always, do whatever seems best.
    What kind of expirence do you have in this area?

What is best is to do it legaly.

OP if you can't legaly do the 30-day Temp registration, just go ahead and register your vehicle normaly, and when you change your registratin to the state you are moving to you can cancel your AZ tags and you will recieve a refund, it is pro-rated so you will be refunded for the number of days that you didn't use (you will only end up paying for what you DID use) so if you need to, use your credit card to register your vehicle, and then cancel it when you re-register and request a refund they are actualy quick about refunding the money.

Please trust me when I say to do it legaly, I am an insurance agent and I have seen where a person has been ticketed for expired registration and it makes their rate go up! Also if you are driving on expired registration and you are in an accident especialy if it is your fault it could cause some serious issues!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by funboarder1971
    Get the temporary registration, I'm in the process of getting my vehicles registered from Texas to Arizona and its pretty much a clusterf*ck due to Texas' method of vehicle registration. Texas' registration is a sticker with a barcode that lives on your windshield, no paper registration or tags on your plate. Arizona (and other states) don't recognize the sticker and want to see paper registration... anyhow I digress....

Just take the title. That's all you'll need here in AZ. I just went through this TX to AZ transition.
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

Braaaapp!
    Quote Originally Posted by AzSpeedfreek
    What kind of expirence do you have in this area?

What is best is to do it legaly.

OP if you can't legaly do the 30-day Temp registration, just go ahead and register your vehicle normaly, and when you change your registratin to the state you are moving to you can cancel your AZ tags and you will recieve a refund, it is pro-rated so you will be refunded for the number of days that you didn't use (you will only end up paying for what you DID use) so if you need to, use your credit card to register your vehicle, and then cancel it when you re-register and request a refund they are actualy quick about refunding the money.

Please trust me when I say to do it legaly, I am an insurance agent and I have seen where a person has been ticketed for expired registration and it makes their rate go up! Also if you are driving on expired registration and you are in an accident especialy if it is your fault it could cause some serious issues!
    Refund? The governement will give you money back? This is great, because at the very end of May I registered my Jeep for 2 years, having no idea that I was no longer going to be here. Thanks for the heads up!

I'm Lazy, So I Shuttle
    they gave me 3 mth extension and a temp plate to put in the window.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.- Julie Furtado

Quote Originally Posted by adam728
    Refund? The governement will give you money back? This is great, because at the very end of May I registered my Jeep for 2 years, having no idea that I was no longer going to be here. Thanks for the heads up!

Yup, go to www.servicearizona.com and you can request your refund .

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick
    Just take the title. That's all you'll need here in AZ. I just went through this TX to AZ transition.

unfortunately that really only works well on vehicles that are paid off... the one in question still has a lien on the title and the bank is holding it. i'm in the process of trying to get the bank to send me a duplicate to use for registration purposes, and if that fails i'll just have to pay off the loan to get the title. either way its going to take time.

i'm just glad i'm finally out of there.

anyhow, back to the op's question... the AZ temp registration allowed me the time i need to get my situation unwound.

Braaaapp!
    Quote Originally Posted by funboarder1971
    anyhow, back to the op's question... the AZ temp registration allowed me the time i need to get my situation unwound.

Glad it woked for you. Didn't for me. No 30 day, as it didn't apply to my siuation (transfered plate or driving to repair for emissions). Then after moving they wouldn't refund the registration cost. When you search for refund you even get a pop-up on ServiceArizona that says:
    An owner is not eligible for a refund if he or she has moved and registered their vehicle in another state.
    I swear it didn't mention that a few weeks ago. My boss just relocated and went thru the same thing with his vehicles. Maybe us calling and bothering people around the same time prompted the clarification on the site?

Anywayt, neither of us are getting anything back. I spent $380 to register a car for 6 days, and my Jeep is paid thru May 2011.

On the plus side Arkansas registration is cheap. A pain in the arse, but cheap. First you have to go to the county courthouse and have the tax assesor look up to see if you owe anything. Then you have to go get that formed stamped at another office. Then you go to the MVD, who sends you home to dig through still-packed boxes for your birth certificate (AZ license and a passport isn't good enough for em). Finally you pay $30 and are registered. License was another $20.
    "It was like a German, techno-weird, acid trip." - The Hoff -

Disgruntled Peccary

I did this once, was never pulled over.. but had to pay a fine at the DMV when I registered the thing anyway. IMO it's worth the 30 day temp
    mike

mtbr member
    I wouldn't buy the full year tags, that "prorated refund" will not be what you expect, you wont get 51 weeks of your $300 registration back. Just do a 30 day tag or don't worry about it. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it but as always there is a small risk.

Braaaapp!
    Guys, read my last post. I went in, wouldn't let me do a 30 day. So I did a full year, and they gave me nothing back. Went thru it all 3-4 weeks ago.

Disgruntled Peccary
    Guys, read my last post. I went in, wouldn't let me do a 30 day. So I did a full year, and they gave me nothing back. Went thru it all 3-4 weeks ago.
    in that case I'd just risk it. The fine I paid was not near a full years worth of registration
    mike

Braaaapp!
    I think you aren't reading things here. The original post was about a month ago. I've already been through everything. It's done. And I'm out a bunch of money.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    just an fyi a little related to this topic. As an AZ resident I bought a truck in New Mexico about 4 months ago from a private seller. New Mexico wouldn't give me a temporary tag(because they said they don't require them and AZ wouldn't give me one because I bought it in New Mexico and I couldn't get a tag online for some reason I don't remember). New Mexico said the bill of sale is all i needed while driving through their state. Long story short... I was driving through Mesa and a cop pulled me over on the Hwy 60 because I had no plate, I told him of the situation and that I was waiting for the check to clear in New Mexico at the bank, etc... and I kept all documentation locked in the truck and showed him. He said I was good to go but warned I would probably be pulled over again buy another officer if he/she saw me. I got the plates about a week later. Glad I had all papers with me that day.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    yes. Unless the vehicle was purchased at a dealer some MVD departments require you to bring the vehicle in for an inspection and some do not...

Bikes, Beer, and Sex
    there's a 15 day grace period for expired tags, I got pulled over in febuary for that and the judge just threw it out

Glad it woked for you. Didn't for me. No 30 day, as it didn't apply to my siuation (transfered plate or driving to repair for emissions). Then after moving they wouldn't refund the registration cost. When you search for refund you even get a pop-up on ServiceArizona that says:

I swear it didn't mention that a few weeks ago. My boss just relocated and went thru the same thing with his vehicles. Maybe us calling and bothering people around the same time prompted the clarification on the site?

Anywayt, neither of us are getting anything back. I spent $380 to register a car for 6 days, and my Jeep is paid thru May 2011.

On the plus side Arkansas registration is cheap. A pain in the arse, but cheap. First you have to go to the county courthouse and have the tax assesor look up to see if you owe anything. Then you have to go get that formed stamped at another office. Then you go to the MVD, who sends you home to dig through still-packed boxes for your birth certificate (AZ license and a passport isn't good enough for em). Finally you pay $30 and are registered. License was another $20.

Have you tried talking to anyone? That is just messed up that they won't issue a refund when you move out of state.

Braaaapp!
    I went to one of the Tucson locations for the first part of this. When trying to get the refund I called 2 of the Tucson locations. I believe my boss called multiple offices as well.

Just pull up servicearizona.com and type "refund" in the seach box. The first pop up now says "An owner is not eligible for a refund if he or she has moved and registered their vehicle in another state.". And they are sticking to it!

Members who have read this thread: 1