vmb
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

OT: PSA - UPS thieves in Ahwatukee

I was working from home yesterday and my office faces the front of the house. I happen to notice the UPS truck dropping off 3 boxes across the street at my neighbors house. About 2 minutes later, I see an older model white Chevy Blazer pull up in front of the house (a vehicle I didnít recognize) and a Hispanic guy jumps out of the passenger door, walks up to the house and grabs the boxes and starts to head back to the truck.

Right away I realized what was going on (because I read a similar story on this forum)
    so bolted out the front door. I yell at the guy to put the boxes back as Iím in a full sprint to get across the street, but he was too close to the truck and threw the boxes in while the driver pins it around the cornerÖ

I ran back into the house and called 911 giving the operator the license number, vehicle description, thief description, etc.

The cops acted fast and swarmed the area, but I donít know if they got these guys.

Had it been a day earlier, those bastards may have tried to take my new SRAM derailleur and shifters (in which case they would have had a Rhodesian Ridgeback chomping on their tenders)

I live a a decent part of Ahwatukee, which probably makes the area a good target for these bums.

im4Gsus
    they follow the ups truck around. i hope they catch them, but even if they do, they prolly won't recover the goods. it's a shame. i'm sure your neighbors were glad you at least came out and gave it a big effort.
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by vmb
    I was working from home yesterday and my office faces the front of the house. I happen to notice the UPS truck dropping off 3 boxes across the street at my neighbors house. About 2 minutes later, I see an older model white Chevy Blazer pull up in front of the house (a vehicle I didnít recognize) and a Hispanic guy jumps out of the passenger door, walks up to the house and grabs the boxes and starts to head back to the truck.

Right away I realized what was going on (because I read a similar story on this forum)
    so bolted out the front door. I yell at the guy to put the boxes back as Iím in a full sprint to get across the street, but he was too close to the truck and threw the boxes in while the driver pins it around the cornerÖ

I ran back into the house and called 911 giving the operator the license number, vehicle description, thief description, etc.

The cops acted fast and swarmed the area, but I donít know if they got these guys.

Had it been a day earlier, those bastards may have tried to take my new SRAM derailleur and shifters (in which case they would have had a Rhodesian Ridgeback chomping on their tenders)

I live a a decent part of Ahwatukee, which probably makes the area a good target for these bums.
    YIKES! I had my new DH bike left in two large boxes at my Ahwatukee house. That would have sucked big time to have them stolen!

mtbr member
    Maybe I am just lucky when I drive around for work, but I rarely see cops in Tukee, especially south and the further west parts.

I drive down Pecos all the way to the end of it for a tutoring job twice a week for the last 5 years, and seen 1 cop that entire time.

Maybe this has something to do with Phoenix being a huge ass city and Ahwatukee being zoned to the Phoenix Police...

Out of curiosity, when did this happen? When I was driving around Tukee between jobs yesterday I saw 5 - 6 police cars putting their lights on and weaving thru gridlock and driving through parking lots trying to get somewhere in the Mountain Park Ranch area...

Pivotal figure
    Yep, good ole UPS left my sweet 50th ann. Gibson at my front door as well...Unbelievable that it was still there when I got home (box had "Gibson" written all over it, just in case someone wondered if it was worth taking).
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

sixsixtysix

You mean there's a "bad" part of All-White-Tukee?

Sup?
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    Yep, good ole UPS left my sweet 50th ann. Gibson at my front door as well...Unbelievable that it was still there when I got home (box had "Gibson" written all over it, just in case someone wondered if it was worth taking).
    That would have sucked..

Fortunately the UPS driver that dropped my 5spot frame off this year left it with the neighbors next door.

Last fall, I 'won' one of those Kona promo hardtails from a 'Kona Brewing Sweepstakes' card I filled out in Fry's Marketplace?

That thing sat out on the porch for 2-3 days while we were in Yosemite and was still there when we got back. (not that it was really worth stealing.. pretty cheap $250 bike) amazing since the box had Kona Bicycles plastered all over the side of it (graphics)

vmb
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

yep - in MPR

>>>Out of curiosity, when did this happen? When I was driving around Tukee between jobs yesterday I saw 5 - 6 police cars putting their lights on and weaving thru gridlock and driving through parking lots trying to get somewhere in the Mountain Park Ranch area...

Bingo - Mountain Park Ranch. It was 11:40am in the area between Chandler Blvd and Ray Rd.

The thieves went north on Mountain Prkwy, so I suspect they were high tailing it to I10.

******ed or Branded??
    During the Christmas holiday or any holiday that involves gift exchange the crime rate of this happening goes thru the roof. Last year winter was bad at my old neighborhood. So bad neighbors started a flyer to warn others of this happening. This was at 32nd and Cactus.

I know have moved but will be planning on trying to catch the routine UPS/FedEx guys to not leave anything at my door step if no one is home and if they have to leave it to leave it with one of my neighbors. I heard that the drivers are pretty cool with that and are very understanding.
    .Hoog just texted me and said it's "Surface area to G2 tangential force vector ratio optimization. "

mtbr member
    This is exactly why I have everything delivered to my office. I'm lucky to be able to do that, I know not everyone can. The people here get a kick when UPS drops off a bike box.

The UPS driver in my 'hood is pretty cool though, if the package is delivered to my house, they make sure to slide it through my security door into my entry way so that no one can reach it. If its small enough.

banned
    deleted: duplicate posting

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix
    You mean there's a "bad" part of All-White-Tukee?
    Yep, my house. Richie and myself manage to piss off most of our neighbors and even people just passing through the culdesac. There have been many drunken fisticuffs in the middle of the night out on the driveway.

Members who have read this thread: 0