OT - Popped my 100 mile road bike cherry today.- Mtbr.com
    Got a suspension fork

OT - Popped my 100 mile road bike cherry today.

I used to road bike back when there were no mass mtb's. Circa 1985 I switched to mtb's and never looked back. Fast forward to 2010 and a neighborhood riding group I hooked up with rides both MTB and Road so I got back onto a Road bike.

fwiw - I love MTB with others or alone - but find I really only like roading with other people...

The group took today off work and did a 100 mile ride. Phew! I made it, even with a cold.

Good stuff.

Click on the image below for full size.

ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

Meatbomb
    wow.. sounds painful.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    To think about riding 100 miles is crazy to most people, To do it is great feeling!!!! I did my first century two months ago and have been doing one a month from that time on.

Randy, Great job...........

mtbr member
    Nice job! How many rest stops did you take?

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Impressive. That must have felt hella good to finish! Now to do it on the mountain....
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

Shovel Ready
    Right on! Going to try and do my first metric century. During my first tour de cure ride this coming March. Plan on starting some road work this weekend.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome. :)

Ahhh the pain....
    Nice job Randy!...always feels good to do a century on the road bike. Mine isn't feelin' the love during winter since higher speeds = colder !

Got a suspension fork
    Three important things I learned on this ride, and 1 reinforcement.

Important things I learned:
    1) You can do far more on your bike than you may have originally thought.
    2) Anti Monkey Butt is good stuff
    3) I will never again buy cycling shorts that have a seam where the panels come together anywhere near where my rear end meets the saddle.

Reinforcement
    1) Brooks leather saddles = good stuff

We took plenty of breaks, coffee at Cave Creek Coffee Company, nice long lunch at Fountain Hills, 1 flat tire stop, and a few other stops to munch some food and take a quick rest. We weren't setting out for a record time, just to do the 100 miles.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris
    I used to road bike back when there were no mass mtb's. Circa 1985 I switched to mtb's and never looked back. Fast forward to 2010 and a neighborhood riding group I hooked up with rides both MTB and Road so I got back onto a Road bike.

fwiw - I love MTB with others or alone - but find I really only like roading with other people...

The group took today off work and did a 100 mile ride. Phew! I made it, even with a cold.

Good stuff.

Click on the image below for full size.

Nice job. I fell three miles short of my first 100-mile mt bike ride in a day in December. My new goal (and dare I say New Year's Resol.....no, I don't) is 200 miles at this year's 24 Hr in OP (did 128 miles in 24+ hours last year).

I think my first century was at the El Tour De Tucson. My longest was 250+ at the Furnace Creek 508, but that look me and my partner 30+ hours (but it was non-stop).
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

meow
    Nice job and congrats! Finishing your first one feels incredible and shows you it's not as daunting as the number seems. Butt lube and the right chamois are key to a happy saddle interface. May you have many more.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Control Freak
    WOW good job...I couldnt imagine going that far unless I had a gas pedal under my right foot..one day perhaps! Amazing

Got a suspension fork
    hehe, I just laid out a route from home to Bartlett Lake and back, a hair over 100, but twice the elevation as yesterday's ride. (yesterday was 2,650 ft, this is 5,110 ft. (btw - I use corrected elevation, the Garmin usually reports higher.)

I think I'm game.

mtbr member
    Great job, still looking to get my first road bike, then see how long it take before i can do that, By the way, what mapping software is that?

Black and Sticky
    Congrats on your first century! Agree with your comment re: group rides. In 2010, I did the Texas MS-150 and did all my long training rides (80+ miles) by myself. What a drag. I'm just starting to ramp up for the 2011 TX MS and have looked into a few groups. Again, congrats.

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

parenting for gnarness
    well done.

maybe time for another mtbrs on skinnytires group ride? I have barely been on my roadie in a year, but with an interesting route and company the miles go by fast. Dgangi took me on a ~50 miler through PV, Moon Valley etc this summer - it was a ton of turns and ups\downs, but the scenery was so cool it was worth.

My first (and only) hundy on the roadie was a charity ride consisting of 23 4.2 mile loops, with 8 stop signs. Its was kinda awful, but still only took 5.5 hrs at a steady pace.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Meatbomb
    That climb out of Bartlett is going to be killa' !!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    well done.

maybe time for another mtbrs on skinnytires group ride? I have barely been on my roadie in a year, but with an interesting route and company the miles go by fast. Dgangi took me on a ~50 miler through PV, Moon Valley etc this summer - it was a ton of turns and ups\downs, but the scenery was so cool it was worth.
    The ride up, over, through Mummy Mt. is amazing!
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Ahhh the pain....
    I've been meaning to do that Bartlett Lake ride too... 66 miles RT from my house. Google maps says 1hr 6 min one way....oh wait, that's by car....lol.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by phxrider
    Great job, still looking to get my first road bike, then see how long it take before i can do that, By the way, what mapping software is that?
    www.rubitrack.com

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    That climb out of Bartlett is going to be killa' !!!

Last year I did home to Bartlett to Cave Creek, beers, dinner, beers, and a ride home in a truck! LOL - I think I'm ready to do the full meal deal this time around.

Got a suspension fork
    well done.

My first (and only) hundy on the roadie was a charity ride consisting of 23 4.2 mile loops, with 8 stop signs. Its was kinda awful, but still only took 5.5 hrs at a steady pace.
    Great idea

mtbr member
    Great idea
    I'm in.

(Depending on family and work schedules of course.)

parenting for gnarness
    Great idea
    hook it up brutha! i've been really remiss in checking out N. Scottsdale roadie routes. just a few quickies up Thompson Peak etc. Folks say Bartlett Lake on the weekend is playing with your life, however...
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

livin' the dream......
    Down for a group road ride schedule permitting.....I've been back on the road bike for little over a year after many years away from that at riding mtb 100 %.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tjkm
    Down for a group road ride schedule permitting.....I've been back on the road bike for little over a year after many years away from that at riding mtb 100 %.
    +1 if you guys want to do a road ride I am in. I need to get rid of the excess spare tire from the holidays. I took two trips up the the top of South Mountain the last Silent Sunday and was a bit more tired than I usually am towards the second trip into the parking lot of the TV towers. I did Desert Classic C2C2C on the SS the day before, but felt fine after that.

mtbr member
    well done.

Somebody want to start a thread so we can decide on a date? It would be kinda funny to do the ride in DH gear and run into a group of Road Nazi's

mtbr member
    I'm down for a road ride anytime, count me in as well. If anyone is interested the casa grande century is this Sunday leaving out of Chandler. A few friends and I are doing it.
    Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

pedaller
    I'm in for a Saturday SoMo reverse shuttle day!!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Hey Randy, Thanks for the mapping software info, I have the Mac, just not the right GPS, maybe I will have to upgrade

Thanks again,

Ken

Members who have read this thread: 0