OT - Photo radar ticket in Chandler- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,781

    OT - Photo radar ticket in Chandler

    Just wondering if anyone here has been flashed by photo radar in Chandler and if you know how the process works? I sped up to beat a yellow light on Arizona Ave and Ray not knowing that the camera was both a speed and red light camera. I believe I may have gotten flashed for running a red light and for possibly speeding. It seemed like a very short yellow light. It just happened recently and nothing has come in the mail yet. I have read that if I dont receive anything in the mail and I am not served within 90 days that the ticket will be dropped... Is this correct? Is it 90 days from the citation date? In what ways can a Process Server serve a ticket? If I may have been going 20mph over the speed limit can they still serve me the ticket? I have read that criminal speeding tickets cannot be issued using photo radar... That would be criminal speeding, right? If I get served can I still go to driving school? I ended up getting the ticket pretty late at night with no one else on the road. I went up Arizona Ave only because they had the 101 South bound closed on the weekend.

    I know this is a MTB forum but it is AZ specific so I decided to ask here. All of my online searches have led me to the old freeway cameras and what I believe may be outdated information. Thank you!
    Killing it with close inspection.

  2. #2
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    30,781
    In AZ, as long as the light was yellow when you entered the intersection, you will not get a ticket for running a red, the photo ticket system even gives you a little extra (red line usually in the intersection). This is pretty lax IME and you have to be screwing up pretty badly IMO to get a red light ticket in AZ. Speeding on the other hand, that seems a little more likely, we make mistakes.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AKA Monkeybutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,318
    No real reason to be going 20mph over. Just saying.

  4. #4
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,086
    Criminal speed, which is actually called excessive speed in AZ, is 21 mph or more over posted.

    For running a light, you have to have broken the "lateral prolongation of the curb." If you're into the intersection on the yellow you're OK. Red light cameras are pretty finely calibrated.

  5. #5
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    30,781
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Criminal speed, which is actually called excessive speed in AZ, is 21 mph or more over posted.

    For running a light, you have to have broken the "lateral prolongation of the curb." If you're into the intersection on the yellow you're OK. Red light cameras are pretty finely calibrated.
    Our red light/speed cameras are set for 10 over, that's what i thought they were all at now.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: woahey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,289
    I've had 3 photo enforcement's snap a picture of me. I never received anything in the mail either. I just pulled a report for a job and there's nothing showing up there either. Hope the same happens to you!
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

  7. #7
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,297
    I got flashed in chandler for running a red light early this year. I received the ticket in the mail a few weeks later with several pics of me in the truck, and my plate.

    Here's the deal as far as I know it. You don't have to respond to the mail in ticket if you don't wish to. You likely will be served the ticket at some point. If you are served you will then be on the hook for the 'serving' fee as well as the ticket. Maybe you'll never get served. My buddy was served several times but every time the guy came knocking he simply denied he was the guy the server was looking for. This takes more fortitude than it sounds like. Server dude stood at his doorway for several minutes one time asking over and over and over if he was xxxxx.....or if who knew who xxx was. The tip for him was the guy called him by his full first name, which nobody who know's him would ever do. For him it was a game and he won that battle.

    In my case the pics and the plate pics and the fact I did indeed run a red light just made me pay up. I haven't had a ticket in years so I just took the 4 hour online class. It cost almost as much as the ticket but no points, no fuss, no muss. I was at fault after all. I even had a few beers while taking the class so it wasn't all bad

    On a side note, if the pics they send you don't clearly show your face AND your plate you're off the hook. But if the pics don't have a plate they won't/can't even send you the ticket. If it's not you in the pic you are obviously good to go, but we know that's not the case
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 09-30-2011 at 11:40 PM.

  8. #8
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,086
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Our red light/speed cameras are set for 10 over, that's what i thought they were all at now.
    I don't follow camera stuff closely. Most have been set at 11 over in my experience. I was mostly pointing out that excessive speed (criminal speed) is actually 21 over posted, not 20.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,781
    Quote Originally Posted by AKA Monkeybutt View Post
    No real reason to be going 20mph over. Just saying.
    Yeah, I know. I was actually doing the speed limit all the way down Arizona Ave but of course I ended up catching every red light because the lights are not timed. It was late, I was tired and there was maybe one or two other cars on the road. When I hit that intersection it was a quick reaction to punch the gas to try and make the light. Stupidity isn't an excuse and I am not trying to condone my actions. I haven't received a ticket in the mail yet and I just want to know how these photo tickets work. The only other time I have gotten a photo red-light ticket was back in 2004. This was for the intersection on Dobson and Southern by MCC. I remember at the time the camera going off after making a left hand turn but I was already in the intersection and there was a car behind me. I didn't believe that I ran a red light but I figured that they had pictures of me and that the devices must be accurate (after all my calculator is always right). To avoid assessing any other fees I just went ahead and paid the fine... Shortly after I get another letter in the mail stating that a red light ticket requires going to driving school so after already paying the fine I also had to pay for and attend driving school. The kicker is that in this driving school I learned that the red light camera that got me was known for malfunctioning and anyone who went to court was let off. Because I paid the fine I admitted guilt and therefore was stuck. This time I want to know how the system works.
    Killing it with close inspection.

  10. #10
    Eroding into the trail
    Reputation: DustyBones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    897
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    I got flashed in chandler for running a red light early this year. I received the ticket in the mail a few weeks later with several pics of me in the truck, and my plate.

    Here's the deal as far as I know it. You don't have to respond to the mail in ticket if you don't wish to. You likely will be served the ticket at some point. If you are served you will then be on the hook for the 'serving' fee as well as the ticket. Maybe you'll never get served. My buddy was served several times but every time the guy came knocking he simply denied he was the guy the server was looking for. This takes more fortitude than it sounds like. Server dude stood at his doorway for several minutes one time asking over and over and over if he was xxxxx.....or if who knew who xxx was. The tip for him was the guy called him by his full first name, which nobody who know's him would ever do. For him it was a game and he won that battle.

    In my case the pics and the plate pics and the fact I did indeed run a red light just made me pay up. I haven't had a ticket in years so I just took the 4 hour online class. It cost almost as much as the ticket but no points, no fuss, no muss. I was at fault after all. I even had a few beers while taking the class so it wasn't all bad

    On a side note, if the pics they send you don't clearly show your face AND your plate you're off the hook. But if the pics don't have a plate they won't/can't even send you the ticket. If it's not you in the pic you are obviously good to go, but we know that's not the case

    This is why the oh so portable Groucho Marx disguise is good to have/wear while driving!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,044
    If you have your vehicles registered in your name ( which you should not ever do ) you will have problems with photo tickets .... ( and other problems we will not get into at this time )

    I have all my vehicles , my homes and shop all in different "Trusts" names.

    I did this for business,taxes and anonymity reasons .....but I found that when you get a photo ticket it gets thrown out ...( they can't prove ownership nor do they know who is driving ..or who is supposed to be driving .

    Also when you get your plate ran they do not know your address or who is driving .

    it keeps them guessing

  12. #12
    Huffy Rider
    Reputation: motochick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,391
    Sometimes you will get flashed while the camera is in calibration mode, they calibrate every so often. Also, in N. AZ the process servers WILL visit your house on a Sunday afternoon, that is fact.....and they cannot serve a PO Box.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,044
    Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post
    Sometimes you will get flashed while the camera is in calibration mode, they calibrate every so often. Also, in N. AZ the process servers WILL visit your house on a Sunday afternoon, that is fact.....and they cannot serve a PO Box.
    I get registered photo radar summons in my P.O box that my trust is in several times a year ( of course I do not sign for it at all ....that would be stupid )

    But I know people that have P.O boxes where one of mine is at that have signed and had to go to court .

    So they do serve P.O. boxes .

    I just do not ever sign for any registered mail ever , that is a sure way to get popped for something stupid .

  14. #14
    Huffy Rider
    Reputation: motochick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,391
    I should have clarified, served at a PO Box, in person, by a process server. It is hard to believe anyone who gets flashed would actually sign for it in their PO Box. But that is what the camera companies are hoping for.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,781
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    I got flashed in chandler for running a red light early this year. I received the ticket in the mail a few weeks later with several pics of me in the truck, and my plate.

    Here's the deal as far as I know it. You don't have to respond to the mail in ticket if you don't wish to. You likely will be served the ticket at some point. If you are served you will then be on the hook for the 'serving' fee as well as the ticket. Maybe you'll never get served. My buddy was served several times but every time the guy came knocking he simply denied he was the guy the server was looking for. This takes more fortitude than it sounds like. Server dude stood at his doorway for several minutes one time asking over and over and over if he was xxxxx.....or if who knew who xxx was. The tip for him was the guy called him by his full first name, which nobody who know's him would ever do. For him it was a game and he won that battle.

    In my case the pics and the plate pics and the fact I did indeed run a red light just made me pay up. I haven't had a ticket in years so I just took the 4 hour online class. It cost almost as much as the ticket but no points, no fuss, no muss. I was at fault after all. I even had a few beers while taking the class so it wasn't all bad

    On a side note, if the pics they send you don't clearly show your face AND your plate you're off the hook. But if the pics don't have a plate they won't/can't even send you the ticket. If it's not you in the pic you are obviously good to go, but we know that's not the case

    I know I am eligible to go to driving school. If I disregard the waiver of service that they send in the mail and decide to let them attempt to serve me will I also be giving up my ability to go to driving school? Do they have to serve me personally or could they give the paperwork to my wife if she answers the door? I have read that if they attempt to serve you but are unable to get a hold of you that they then will contact the DMV and the next time you attempt to renew your tags, etc they make you pay the fees first... Do you know if this is true?
    Killing it with close inspection.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    93
    ...

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    93
    ...

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SSdirt29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    588
    20 mph over the speed limit while going through an intersection no matter the color is just low IQ.

Similar Threads

  1. OT - Photo Radar
    By luckybastard in forum Arizona
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 11-03-2008, 03:15 PM
  2. New to Chandler
    By brianlve in forum Arizona
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-03-2007, 10:50 PM
  3. Radar Trail Signs Photo needed
    By CU-Murph in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-12-2007, 04:29 PM
  4. Way OT: Photo Radar
    By FrontRanger in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-27-2006, 10:32 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.