OT OT: personal breathalyzer recommendations- Mtbr.com
    parenting for gnarness

OT OT: personal breathalyzer recommendations

anyone have experience with a personal one? any LEOs got any suggestions. I want to be proactive and buy one, but its kinda impossible to tell a good brand from the next.

jeebus first I'm talking about bike carriers and kid safety, now breathalyzers, tomorrow I'll be recommending salt water instead of Round Up. I have become the world's biggest wussy.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

How much further ???
    This website is creepy. I opened your post to read it and I noticed a breathalyzer add on the side bar. Thats nuts.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    The best breathalyzer is hiding your keys before you start drinking!
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    You mean one of those things the court bolts on to your handlebars that you have to blow into before it releases your pedals? Only if it's over 0.08, I mean?

No. No experience with one.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    anyone have experience with a personal one? any LEOs got any suggestions. I want to be proactive and buy one, but its kinda impossible to tell a good brand from the next.

jeebus first I'm talking about bike carriers and kid safety, now breathalyzers, tomorrow I'll be recommending salt water instead of Round Up. I have become the world's biggest wussy.
    You being a buddy and fellow MTBR viewer I would suggest going to several AA meetings to get a better idea what you might have to deal with in the future. While there you could ask the attendees what unit they like the most.

TD

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    if i drink even one beer i'm not going anywhere...

banned
    I owned a breathalyzer years ago, when I was a police officer. A couple girls on the high school track team I was coaching, showed up at my apartment drunk, and before I knew it, one was wearing my police uniform and the other had grabbed the breathalyzer and, well, it never worked right after that.

Wait, what was the question?

How much further ???
    If I drink one beer I can sure as heck tell you where Im going ... to the fridge to get another.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

wretch
    In my experience it just turns the drinking into a contest. . .

Huffy Rider
    They will all get you in the ballpark of what you want to know. The ones cops use don't need to be calibrated as often and are more accurate. The civi versions aren't as high tech and require calibrating more often. Look at the conductor type and how often it needs calibration. Good luck.
    Brenda

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    i never even touched alcohol until i was 30,,, just didn't interest me, even as a die-hard guitar-playin' hair-metal rocker-guy during high school. i probably still wouldn't if shana wasn't suggesting we get drinks.
    edit: it has nothing to do with any religion,, which is something else I couldn't give 2 craps about

Need more cowbell

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Trash View Post
    In my experience it just turns the drinking into a contest. . .
    A drinking contest that gets everybody more fubared than they were planning on. Drink real fast to watch it go up. You finally give up saying that it doesn't work because you drank 14 shots in 45 minutes and still only blew a .04. Meanwhile your body's still trying to metabolize what you drank 12 shots ago and it's going to hit you like a brick wall in another hour.

Just remember, AZ is a no tolerance state when it comes to DUI laws. I've failed breathalyzers only to be allowed to walk home and watched people go to jail on a .05. Just get a cab- it'll feel a lot better than becoming a roadie because you don't have a license.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Prodigal Son View Post
    I owned a breathalyzer years ago, when I was a police officer. A couple girls on the high school track team I was coaching, showed up at my apartment drunk, and before I knew it, one was wearing my police uniform and the other had grabbed the breathalyzer and, well, it never worked right after that.

Wait, what was the question?
    Rep points given for that one!
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Keep the wife close by. Mine seems to always tell me when I've had too much. Or when you car is wrapped around a tree like mine was 15 years ago - you'll know you had too much. But really, in a no tolerance state, I don't see where the numbers matter. It's the discretion of the cop.

I do remember seeing a cell phone that had a breathalyzer on it so you couldn't drunk dial though. That might be useful.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

parenting for gnarness
    wow, some interesting responses

This is what I'm planning on buying:
    Amazon.com: BACtrack S75 Pro Breathalyzer: Health & Personal Care

Here is a link to the ARS.

28-1381 - Driving or actual physical control while under the influence; trial by jury; presumptions; admissible evidence; sentencing; classification

AZ is not zero-tolerance. Its called 'impaired to the slightest', and it means you can be arrested on suspicion with ANY alcohol, and potentially convicted. However, under .08 and it must be proven that impairment due to alcohol was the contributing factor, ie, you were actually impaired, which is a much harder case to make.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Shenanigans! However a very proactive defense...

banned

However, under .08 and it must be proven that impairment due to alcohol was the contributing factor, ie, you were actually impaired, which is a much harder case to make.
    cb:

I don't know if you are correct. My buddy Bikedoc got busted for MJ. He has to go to AA as part of his probation. He doesn't even drink alcohol, BUT he is required to stand up in front of the group every couple days and say "I am Bikedoc I am an alcoholic". When he first went he tried to tell the group he doesn't drink, they just booed him down, so he just plays the game.

During the meetings he did learn about the intolerance the Arizona police have for citizens who drive with an alcohol level less than .08., what he learned was many of his classmates were in the class because they were busted with an alcohol level less than .08. Again I would suggest a couple visits to the AA could be very educational.

TD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    cb:

I don't know if you are correct. My buddy Bikedoc got busted for MJ. He has to go to AA as part of his probation. He doesn't even drink alcohol, BUT he is required to stand up in front of the group every couple days and say "I am Bikedoc I am an alcoholic". When he first went he tried to tell the group he doesn't drink, they just booed him down, so he just plays the game.

During the meetings he did learn about the intolerance the Arizona police have for citizens who drive with an alcohol level less than .08., what he learned was many of his classmates were in the class because they were busted with an alcohol level less than .08. Again I would suggest a couple visits to the AA could be very educational.

TD
    That's priceless. I have a buddy who got a MJ DUI too, for the 2nd time. This time, not only did he get to go to a years worth of AA classes, but he also gets a breathalyzer in his car for a year after a year license suspension! Again, all for somebody who doesn't drink.

He had the same reaction- was told by AA people that he was a drug addict and needed to go to NA, AA is for alcoholics. NA people told him to grow a pair and that he didn't have a drug problem at all.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

Meatbomb
    AA is for quitters..

parenting for gnarness

Shred...it's the new drug
    it's simple cholla...you have the choice. drink = no drive, want to drive =don't drink...I got away with so many close calls that I'm happy I don't have to worry about stupid stuff like DUI's or breathalizers anymore cause of not drinking. AZ is retarded when it comes to DUI laws...why even chance it? You're a smart man... Save your money for extra derailur hangers that you're gonna rip off that new bird cause you're shredding the gnar...

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    dave chapelle is awesome, but ive never seen that movie... and ive never so much as even touched marijuana.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    This website is creepy. I opened your post to read it and I noticed a breathalyzer add on the side bar. Thats nuts.
    Really? Creepy?
    I take it you don't understand how systems like AdWords work* - It's simply ad-generated content on what is prevalent on a page that has ADs enabled (or subscribed) - In this case, Breathalyzers...

*There is MUCH more to AdWords et. al., but, this case of content-generated ADs is pretty simple.

If you don't like it, Run FireFox w/ ABP (Ad Blocker Plus)

I do marketing (SEO) for our co., and from that position, I hate ABP.
    But as a web-user, I love it.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Never having been on the giving end of a breathalyzer, I couldn't answer that part - but - I have severed on two jury's for DUI, and having a friend who got a DUI - and my word of advice is don't drink and drive.

Me and my wife take "turns" on driving - one person is allowed to "drink as much as they'd like" and the other person one to two drinks (or none) and that person is the driver for the night - much safer that way.

Also makes me wonder how I made it through the college years sometimes without getting pulled over.
    Yes, I'm the crazy christmas guy!

Elitest thrill junkie

AZ is not zero-tolerance. Its called 'impaired to the slightest', and it means you can be arrested on suspicion with ANY alcohol, and potentially convicted. However, under .08 and it must be proven that impairment due to alcohol was the contributing factor, ie, you were actually impaired, which is a much harder case to make.
    Yes, but if they've pulled you over, they've probably already established that, such as speeding, california-stop, or just a mistake you'd make even completely sober. They'll blame it on being impaired.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Meatbomb
    Couple items I've heard around DUI stops:

- most frequent reason used to pull a suspected DUI over is not turning into the proper lane.
    -biggest mistake made during a DUI stop is performing the field test. Test results are never used to prove sobriety , only to show impairment. I believe the law only requires you to submit to Blood,Breath or Urine samples.

Huffy Rider
    That looks like a very nice unit at a very reasonable price. It uses the fuel cell technology which is what you want. Be safe.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Couple items I've heard around DUI stops:

- most frequent reason used to pull a suspected DUI over is not turning into the proper lane.
    -biggest mistake made during a DUI stop is performing the field test. Test results are never used to prove sobriety , only to show impairment. I believe the law only requires you to submit to Blood,Breath or Urine samples.
    I had a friend who decided to not participate in a roadside sobriety test. He was arrested, had blood drawn, ect. Biggest mistake he ever made because when you have to go to court, they say you weren't cooperating with the police, that you were being belligerent.

In N. AZ it seems like all the DUI's I read about in the paper are due to speeding, not using turn-signals, or making erratic maneuvers.
    - Julie Furtado

Meatbomb
    DUI stops are on video... You need to politely decline to take the test but make it clear you will provide the samples as requested. I believe a blood sample is taken for all DUI's ..

aka Diesel
    Thanks for doing the leg-work on this, Jason!

A DUI definitely puts the F U in FUN (but also serves as a huge and positive wake-up call in life), and while IMO the best advice came from the person who said "drink= no drive, want to drive= no drink", should I ever be called upon to drive, it would still be nice to have something to narrow down my BAC, rather than guess at it. All bodies metabolize differently, with several variables in play, and while I applaud Arizona's efforts to keep the roads safe, I wish they would spend more time educating people on those variables. There is a legal limit for a reason: you CAN safely drive after drinking!! But, again, lots of variables at play. How much do you weigh, what did you eat that day, did you eat before or AFTER you started drinking, are you a woman or a man? Enzymes play a role, in the latter.

My favorite, is that plenty of people don't know that you can get a DUI for riding a bicycle while over the legal limit.
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

How much further ???
    It was tongue in cheek. Im not actually creeped out by a website .... nevermind.

aka Diesel
    DUI stops are on video... You need to politely decline to take the test but make it clear you will provide the samples as requested. I believe a blood sample is taken for all DUI's ..
    Depends on the city. Mesa doesn't use breathalyzers at all, because too many DUI cases were being thrown out of court since breathalyzers can give false readings. Mouthwash alone, can raise your BAC level above .08. Mesa draws blood on the spot.

Something a lot of people don't know, is that if you refuse to take the tests, your license is suspended for one year.
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

mtbr member
    AA is for quitters..
    That's right but it's not for everyone. There are other methods to try and tackle substance abuse. AA has certainly helped some, but the relapse rate is pretty high.

My daughter is in the same class as the sister of the kid who got killed on 66 by a drunk driver this past weekend in Flag. Really sad.

mtbr member

[url=http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/28/01381.htm]AZ is not zero-tolerance. Its called 'impaired to the slightest', and it means you can be arrested on suspicion with ANY alcohol, and potentially convicted. However, under .08 and it must be proven that impairment due to alcohol was the contributing factor, ie, you were actually impaired, which is a much harder case to make.
    Jebus. This sounds like it was created to make money for DUI lawyers. You'll need representation to defend against that. damn leeches!

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Quite a bit of misinformation in this thread. Whether or not a stop is on video depends on the agency. Same thing for blood draw vs. breathalyzer post-arrest, each agency has its own policy. Most do blood these days and/or urine if its DUI drugs.

Your license will not be suspended for refusing to perform field sobriety tests. It WILL automatically be suspended for a year if you refuse the blood draw/urine sample/breathalyzer post-arrest. It's called Admin Per Se and is a statutory requirement you signed when you got your driver's license.

Jason: The best advice of course is not to drink and drive at all. But any of the aftermarket ones will get you in the ballpark. I've seen that even the phone-based apps are pretty decent. You can actually buy the same ones the cops use and they're not terribly expensive, though no idea how you'd go about keeping it calibrated.

There's no question that the DUI laws in this state are severe. Whether you think that's justified is obviously a matter of opinion. I will say that, if you've lost a friend or family member to an impaired driver, or spent any time pulling dead bodies out of collisions, your opinion tends to change.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteKis View Post
    Depends on the city. Mesa doesn't use breathalyzers at all, because too many DUI cases were being thrown out of court since breathalyzers can give false readings. Mouthwash alone, can raise your BAC level above .08. Mesa draws blood on the spot.

Something a lot of people don't know, is that if you refuse to take the tests, your license is suspended for one year.
    Sedona has a breathalyzer that either gives a green light or red light. They'll draw blood on the spot if you don't take the sobriety tests (even if you're riding a bike).

Still, I stand true that it's much easier and less expensive to take a cab.
    - Julie Furtado

Glutton for punishment

Hey Mike - Did you actually move out here yet?

Or are you still poaching our message board? I haven't seen any long-haired freak riding the trails recently.
    Last edited by ScottN; 08-25-2011 at 10:00 AM. Reason: dumbass

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Your license will not be suspended for refusing to perform field sobriety tests. It WILL automatically be suspended for a year if you refuse the blood draw/urine sample/breathalyzer post-arrest. It's called Admin Per Se and is a statutory requirement you signed when you got your driver's license.

Jason: The best advice of course is not to drink and drive at all. But any of the aftermarket ones will get you in the ballpark. I've seen that even the phone-based apps are pretty decent. You can actually buy the same ones the cops use and they're not terribly expensive, though no idea how you'd go about keeping it calibrated.

There's no question that the DUI laws in this state are severe. Whether you think that's justified is obviously a matter of opinion. I will say that, if you've lost a friend or family member to an impaired driver, or spent any time pulling dead bodies out of collisions, your opinion tends to change.
    We've been waiting for you to weigh-in. Thank you. Truly.
    And it is the blood and breath test I was referring to, just to be clear. The field tests, if what I understand is correct, are just a way for the officer to discern whether or not they need to proceed with a breath/blood test.

I do remember telling the officer, as I was hand-cuffed and feeling terribly sorry for myself, that I couldn't believe he was busting me for being so slightly impaired, and when he essentially repeated what you did at the end about loved ones and bodies and going to doors to tell people the news, that shut MY arse up pretty fast. He made sure to add-on that had I not been texting while driving, I'd have gone right under the radar.... oops... (yes I have learned a lot of lessons in life in the last year...), but, it was Tempe near the university, and Cinco De Mayo, and I called attention to myself on a night when they were looking hard at everyone around them. I'm not sorry I got "caught". It was life-changing in more ways than one.

But I do have a question for you, if you don't mind?
    Is Arizona a state where you can be busted for riding a bike intoxicated? Because a lotta people I know do that as an alternative...

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    Sedona has a breathalyzer that either gives a green light or red light. They'll draw blood on the spot if you don't take the sobriety tests (even if you're riding a bike).

Still, I stand true that it's much easier and less expensive to take a cab.
    Damn straight! Assuming you don't kill yourself or an innocent person (even worse) because you were driving impaired, the monetary cost alone is staggering. I worry about a lot of my friends who, like I did, have 3 beers and think they're not gonna get a DUI because they aren't swerving all over the road like they would if severely impaired. What if you're slightly over the limit and some knob runs into YOU, causing the police to come to the scene, and they smell beer on your breath and decide to test you? NOT worth the risk- you can't control the universe around you, so why risk it?

/end preaching.

I do remember telling the officer, as I was hand-cuffed and feeling terribly sorry for myself, that I couldn't believe he was busting me for being so slightly impaired, and when he essentially repeated what you did at the end about loved ones and bodies and going to doors to tell people the news, that shut MY arse up pretty fast.I'm not sorry I got "caught". It was life-changing in more ways than one.
    I remember telling the officer I hadn't been drinking as my car lay in a heap, wrapped like a bowtie around a tree. I hit it about 6 feet off the ground going about 50 after doing my best Duke boys impression over some elevated train tracks. Myself and my friend were alive but for the grace of Zeus. That will change your habits real quick, and I never play the line. First off, it invites the danger zone, and second, I don't think cops will care about the technicalities of 0.075 vs. 0.08. If I'm driving, its one beer about every two hours, so if I'm not somewhere for at least two hours, no drinky. I've kept the rubber side down ever since. Discipline, not vigilance, will keep you and others safe.

Rhino
    You can get a DUI in a automobile.
    You can get a DUI while riding a bicycle.

Can I get a DUI if I'm drunk rollin' my Rollerblades?
    And what happens if you get a DUI on a bicycle, and you don't have a license?

SamuraiBunnyGuy

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit View Post
    I remember telling the officer I hadn't been drinking as my car lay in a heap, wrapped like a bowtie around a tree. I hit it about 6 feet off the ground going about 50 after doing my best Duke boys impression over some elevated train tracks. Myself and my friend were alive but for the grace of Zeus. That will change your habits real quick, and I never play the line. First off, it invites the danger zone, and second, I don't think cops will care about the technicalities of 0.075 vs. 0.08. If I'm driving, its one beer about every two hours, so if I'm not somewhere for at least two hours, no drinky. I've kept the rubber side down ever since. Discipline, not vigilance, will keep you and others safe.
    Wow!!!! Lucky is an understatement!
    Agreed, on not playing the line. As the months passed after my DUI arrest, it took me awhile to go through the phases of anger, denial, self-pity and blaming the Po-Po for my own arrogance and disregard for the law and the risk I had been taking with my life and those around me, but you know, eventually it all sank in. I don't even want any part of drinking and riding a bike. :-) Not like the old days, anyway. While I have watched a few people I know go on to get DUI's even after they watched where I ended up, I can't say I currently know anyone who didn't learn their lesson from it... and yet, the guy who runs the interlock company, while running my final payment and preparing to do the removal, said that sadly, he sees a LOT of the same people come back, and usually within weeks to the first couple of months after getting the interlock removed. That's a concept that baffles me to no end.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    That would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic.

My other ride is your mom
    I don't even want any part of drinking and riding a bike. :-)
    Then can I have your surly flask cage for the bike?

How much further ???
    Wow. Sorry this was so offensive. I am in no way saying to go out and drink and drive, but I dont think it takes much to see some very poor driving out there. I dont think you need to resort to name calling, hidden behind anonymous negative rep. Lets keep it mature. I will respectfully bow out of any further discussion in this thread.
    Last edited by Douger-1; 08-25-2011 at 04:04 PM.

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    Then can I have your surly flask cage for the bike?
    lol... I would give it to you in a heartbeat, if I still had it!! I sold that bike, and gave that flask cage AND flask to the guy who bought it! Long gone.

pedaller
    Id wager to say Im a better driver with a 6 pack in me than half the people out there sober.

That's only because half of the drivers out there are texting, on the phone, reading emails and/or otherwise distracted.

Why do I like road riding again???

"Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    If I drink one beer I can sure as heck tell you where Im going ... to the fridge to get another.
    Amen to that!

How much further ???
    I dont know. There are some pretty bad drivers out there distractions or not.

parenting for gnarness
    I dont know. There are some pretty bad drivers out there distractions or not.
    there are lots of BAC calculators on the web to give you a decent idea of yourself, though nothing is as self-educational as an interlock for a year. I humbly suggest you try your experiment, but with shuttles down Geronimo to give you a realistic notion of the penalty for failure. Sarcasm aside, it you like your beer, study a bac table for your own well-being. I realize you were just making a joke, as a commuter\sometimes-roadie, its very easy to be very angry at drivers.

I agree with DagNabbit, that planning is the most effective strategy. If I'm going anywhere that I might drink, I form a plan well ahead of time - how long, how much, how am i getting home. The breathalyzer purchase is to be sure, and for when I have guests at my house who haven't learned the hard way.

Blatant - thanks for your comments. WRT personal breathalyzers, you send them in for ~$25 to get calibrated. I don't expect to use mine much as I can count on 2 fingers the times in the past 2 years i've been close enough to want one, so according to the literature 1x\yr should do it.

You can get a dui on a bike. Given how little attention anyone pays to cyclists, I am not worried, as long as I have a light as per the law. My conscience is cool with that, ymmv. Riding instead of driving has made the commitment to driving legally not very hard for me.

Meatbomb
    when i have people over and plan a late night drink fest I go pick them up so they can cab home and not have to worry about coming back to get a car the next day.

I wish the cab companies would offer a solution to get you and your car home. I bet it's the part about leaving there car behind in a parking lot that causes a lot of people to risk it and drive home.

My other ride is your mom
    This thread is heavily theoretical...lets bring it back into reality and bike related....would you give a DUI to this guy?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OT OT: personal breathalyzer recommendations-drunk-cyclist.jpg  

I wish the cab companies would offer a solution to get you and your car home. I bet it's the part about leaving there car behind in a parking lot that causes a lot of people to risk it and drive home.
    AAA offers a "Tipsy Tow" usually during holiday weekends. They'll pick you, a friend, and your car up and take you home. I'm sure there is a year round service out there somewhere too.

Meatbomb
    I've heard of guys with little fold up scooters that work the old town scottsdale area but I think their range is limited.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit View Post
    AAA offers a "Tipsy Tow" usually during holiday weekends. They'll pick you, a friend, and your car up and take you home. I'm sure there is a year round service out there somewhere too.
    plenty of cab-type services will drive you and your car home, costs about 2x as much.

banned
    When I was a uniform Police Officer, the law in Nebraska stated that if you had a license, you agree to do a breath test. Refusal means you were charge with a seperate offense, in addition to a charge of DUI, which we had to them prove by submitting evidence of a failed field sobriety test and observations made of how the suspect was driving.

This was back a few years ago when officers often helped drunks find a way home, rather than bust them. I once had a driver throw his keys as far as he could, into a field, and then take a cab home. Because of lawsuits files against departments who let drunks off the hook, they became less likely to give anyone a break.

Something I saw work as a defense: A guy kept a metal flask in his vehicle, half full of whiskey. One day he was driving drunk and crashed. He got out of his car, walked to the curb, sat down and waited for the police. As they arrived, he took a swig out of the flask.
    He told them he was so upset about crashing his vehicle, he'd been sitting there drinking a lot since a minute or so after it happened. He actually had drank almost nothing. When they tested him, he blew over the limit and was charged with DUI. He hired an attorney who had witnesses testify they saw him sit down and begin drinking from the flask, which police examined and determined was half empty. This would explain his BAC, according to his attorney. He won and the DUI charge was dismissed.

Sounds crazy to drink immediately after being drunk and crashing your car, but it makes prosecution difficult, at best.

Another tip: Many, if not most of my drunk driver arrests, were made from traffic stops of vehicles being driven without their lights on. Second was vehicles being driven too slow. Third was probably vehicles being driven erratically. They told us in the academy that 1 in 19 drivers on a Friday or Saturday night is impaired. If you are sober, stay off the streets after dark on weekend nights if you don't want to become a victim.

mtbr member
    They told us in the academy that 1 in 19 drivers on a Friday or Saturday night is impaired. If you are sober, stay off the streets after dark on weekend nights if you don't want to become a victim.
    I'll bet between 9pm and 3am the percentage is far higher than that in Flagstaff.

~Disc~Golf~
    ^^^ It depends on what state you live in and how the DUI law was written.
    For instance, in California (where I live), the DUI law applies only to MOTOR vehicles.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stanley79finn View Post

In AZ, yes. They say that a bike is still a "wheeled vehicle"...must be talking with the USFS on this one. If you hired an attorney and fought it, it'd more than likely be thrown out of court, especially if you have a car with all its paperwork in order. My attorney said he'd love to get a bike DUI case...he's really sick and twisted like that.
    - Julie Furtado

Elitest thrill junkie

Another tip: Many, if not most of my drunk driver arrests, were made from traffic stops of vehicles being driven without their lights on. Second was vehicles being driven too slow. Third was probably vehicles being driven erratically. They told us in the academy that 1 in 19 drivers on a Friday or Saturday night is impaired. If you are sober, stay off the streets after dark on weekend nights if you don't want to become a victim.
    This is why I try to drive slightly above the speed limit.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Huffy Rider
    [QUOTE=urbanseeds;8381319
    [/QUOTE]

Not in AZ. There is no AZ state statue for DUI on a bicycle.

Meatbomb
    "A. It is unlawful for a person to drive or be in actual physical control of a vehicle in this state under any of the following circumstances:"

I wonder what limits 'physical control"? If a person is drunk and has keys in their pocket, do they have 'physical control' ?