OT- Hawaii- Mtbr.com

Thread: OT- Hawaii

Meatbomb

OT- Hawaii

I have an opportunity to get a smoking deal on a week at the Outrigger on the Beach in Waikiki... Anyone ever been to Waikiki?

I'm not a big fan of the tourist trap type destinations but the deal may be too good to pass up. Is Waikiki a total cluster ?

oh Lucky me
    Waikiki is completly that! its a tourist trap!! its fun dont get me wrong, you can rent little mopeds and do your own sight seeing, and diamond head and pearl harbor are but 15 minutes from the main strip in Waikiki.

i would say do it! you can get out of town real cheap and Hawaii is the best island ive been to, (been to 3) as far as things to do and places to see.

edit:
    and if you are there on a weekend, check out Aloha Stadium...they have a pretty kick arse swap meet deal...
    ...Dying is the easy part, its living that's the challenge...

pedaller
    yep. Busiest beach/city in Hawaii. But it's HAWAII.

I prefer any of the other Islands but in a pinch...
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Totally busy there. If you can, try the Ko Olina on the other side of the Island near Barber's Point. North Shore is great too.

******ed or Branded??
    At this time of the year you can get the same price of the outrigger at some vacation rentals on the north shore. You should check VRBO.com for this.
    .Hoog just texted me and said it's "Surface area to G2 tangential force vector ratio optimization. "

parenting for gnarness
    Waikiki was fun for 2 days, but mostly cause we had spent the past week tramping around in the jungle. very touristy.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

UBER Addict
    I'm from Hawaii, in fact we still have a house 5 minutes from Waikiki. Everyone so far has been pretty darn accurate, it is a tourist trap of the worst kind. While you are there you will find yourself cursing the mobs of Japanese that will dominate the landscape, and wrinkle your nose at ABC stores on every single corner, literally on EVERY corner! However, when you leave and you're back here in the nice brown desert, you'll be reminiscing and missing those very same things.

Whenever anyone asks me about doing Hawaii, I always recommend you at least visit Oahu just to experience what it has to offer (Waikiki (beach and downtown [Kalakaua Ave]), the PCC, Diamond Head, Hanauma Bay (MUST SEE!), North Shore (Waimea, Waialua), International Marketplace (Kaiulani Ave & Kalakaua Ave.) etc.) then go to one of the smaller islands, like Kauai (my favorite) or Maui, to experience the more peaceful, mellow Hawaiian atmosphere, although Maui seems to be getting a bit busier lately.

Some people love Waikiki, some people hate it. If you do end up on Oahu, don't stay in Waikiki the whole time, explore the entire island. Sigh...This is making me miss it..I need to go back!

PS - Make sure you do a luau! The PCC has a very nice one.

Meatbomb
    Great advice .. thanks.

I'm not the touristy type but have always wanted to visit Hawaii. The only reason I'm considering Waikiki is due to the room being almost free. I'll be sure to get around the island as much as possible.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Island hopping is not expensive.

I say, go to Maui and do the road to Hana one day while you're there. Totally worth it.

pedaller

Ahi Poke....

mmmmm.....poke.....

"Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

UBER Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg
    mmmmm.....poke.....

Oh..my...God! You're killing me man! I miss poke soooo much! Last time I was in Hawaii, a couple years ago, I went to a luau and thats all I had, poke, poke, poke! Man I could eat that stuff all day long!

And Manapua!!! Ahhh! Im dying here!!!

Meatbomb
    dang.... that Ahi Poke sounds delish!!!

oh Lucky me
    the poke is awesome!!! and as gdotbat said, the PCC is awesome!!! the international market place is pretty cool. we took a small 10-12 passenger bus tour of the island one day...took ALL DAY. totally worth it if you just want to chill and check out the island as a whole...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I was just in Waikiki about 4 months ago. Total tourist trap. I would never go back... although I am kinda glad I've seen it. I'd definitely do one of the smaller islands next time.

If you're interested in a mountain biking excursion, we did a tour called Bike Hawaii. It was on a private ranch where they film Lost and many movies like Jurassic Park, so that was kinda cool. But it was total amateur hour, which was fine for me because there were folks in my group who'd never ridden on dirt before. The tour was almost entirely dirt road with about a half-mile of single-track. There was also a large, natural half-pipe that was the highlight of the tour.

Few pics...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Don't believe the Hype...
    Check out the Big Island. My wife grew up in Hilo and we got married there last year and spent 11 days. There is so much to see and do on the Big Island, its way more diverse to the others. Plenty of beaches, but on some parts of the island, itíll be 20 miles of rugged coast line between them. There are some really beautiful, remote locations you can stay at really cheap.
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

Maui Grown

No Poi?

Hey, what about the Poi?

mmmmm.....poke.....

When each day of your life begins with the thought of where you will ride today, tomorrow, this weekend, next month, when your mind becomes so tuned to the rhythm of two wheels that you only look for places to ride, when you picture yourself standing on every mountain top in sight about to drop into a trail, and when someone asks you "Are you still spending all your time riding your bike?" and you answer "YES!" (like there is anything better to do) You have found your passion.

Don't believe the Hype...
    Quote Originally Posted by Poi Boy
    Hey, what about the Poi?
    That's it, I'm getting Lau Lau for lunch! And some Paka Lolo at a happy hour
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

UBER Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Poi Boy
    Hey, what about the Poi?
    Poi! Poi is awesome! Man it has been way too long!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Poi? Poi! Ugh. Gross. Sorry, we went to a luau and I saw them making it, from a root.

I heard that it's a staple there. But, yeah, it didn't taste that great.

The Pig on the other hand . .. man, it makes me want to go back.

mtbr member
    mmmmm.....poke.....

I just made poke two weeks ago, and while not as good as what you can get on the island, it sure makes a nice summertime snack. Especially when you use Huli-Huli sauce. Sprouts has about the best affordable ahi available and Huli-Huli is available at LeeLee Market. You can makeshift any recipe by Google searching "Hawaiin Poke Recipe". It makes beer like Hinano or Steinlager (some of the only good beers available on the Island) taste sooooo good.
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

oh Lucky me
    poi? tried that at the PCC...never again but to each his own...just wasnt for me...

livin' the dream......
    Been to Oahu and Kauai. Two different worlds and I prefer Kauai. BUT IT'S HAWAII!!

Do it!

Meatbomb
    Turns out the resort is the Wyndham Waikiki Beach Walk .,.... a block or so off the beach but it has a couple things going for it... It's a full blown suite with kitchen and it's 7 nights FREE

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007

Waikiki

I went to Waikiki with the gf a couple of years ago. It's fun, but it is a tourist trap. There are a lot of fun cheesy things to do, if you like tourist stuff. We went to a luau, which was totally un-authentic and cheesy, but a ton of fun anyway. I would also say the ABC stores are pretty *****in'; they're like an entire store of Walgreen's 'cheap-aisle'. We hit up ABC to buy some lame inflatable stuff, and a giant beach towel, before walking across the street to the beach.

I also rented a MTB from a shop on the North Shore: http://www.ragingisle.com/. I rode a couple of pretty sweet trails on the island. Riding in the jungle is a blast after living in the desert.

Members who have read this thread: 0