OT: Gym memberships- Mtbr.com
    pedaller

OT: Gym memberships

I've been a member of LA Fitness since before it was LA Fitness (Shape UP) in the early '90s and have a smoking rate ($99/13 mos.) but my wife goes to Bally's. They just closed their location on Ray & Rural (and have filed Chapter 11 again) leaving only 1 location in the East Valley so we've been shopping around for other options when we stumbled across this:

24Hour Fitness deal at Costco: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...lang=en-US&s=1

2 years for $299.99 and a location at Baseline & 101.

Anyone go to this gym?
    Anyone know of a better/similar deal to consider in the EV?
    Anything I'm missing???

We checked into the Y and LA Fitness but neither could come close to this deal...

Thanks!
    Last edited by Noelg; 02-02-2009 at 08:23 PM.
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

I am Walt
    I was also at Bally's, and switched to 24-Hour Fitness for the multiple locations, not just around Phoenix, but in other cities for when I travel. I didn't do the Costco deal, but that is a smoking deal - the best one around. I highly recommend it.
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    That is a good deal! That is the gym I go to, I like it. Open 24 hours M-F, not to busy or run down. They recently opened a gym at dobson and 202 which seemed took the load off the baseline and 101 location. I'd go for it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    you should check with your insurance and work you may get a discounted rate through one of them.

Ridin bikes is fun
    There will also be a new 24 Hour Fittness location at Dobson and the 202 (Red Mountain Freeway).
    Better than most, not as good as some.

mtbr member
    if you live in the ray-rural area they have a pure fitness that I work out at on warner and mcclintock that is nice. Good deal if you just want to work out (ie not play basketball or racquetball or basically anything but work out) I paid 180 for a year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg
    I've been a member of LA Fitness since before it was LA Fitness (Shape UP) in the early '90s and have a smoking rate ($99/13 mos.) but my wife goes to Bally's. They just closed their location on Ray & Rural (and have filed Chapter 11 again) leaving only 1 location in the East Valley so we've been shopping around for other options when we stumbled across this:

24Hour Fitness deal at Costco: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...lang=en-US&s=1

Anyone go to this gym?
    Anything I'm missing???

We checked into the Y and LA Fitness but neither could come close to this deal...

Thanks!
    Have you checked out Curves? They have pretty good rates, and you can get a workout in in less than 30 mins.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Ridin bikes is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Have you checked out Curves? They have pretty good rates, and you can get a workout in in less than 30 mins.

LMAO, now thatís good comedy.
    Better than most, not as good as some.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg

Anyone go to this gym?
    Anything I'm missing???

Thanks!
    keep in mind though that a cheaper membership is available to everyone else, so that gym will be crowded. especially since it is located off the 101. it is a small gym as is so the monday rush will suck. plus if they have cleaning supplies to wipe things down that is big. if not, all those sweaty dudes are gonna sweat on the benches and walk away. sometimes a little exclusivity goes a long way.but for price that cant be beat. for quality though i recommend a location that is clean and has newer equipment. plus if they have a cleaning company on staff, and dont just make the trainers clean that is also huge. we hate cleaning equipment because we typically dont get paid to clean it. It is sad to hear about that ballys, i used to work there. they are the only chain gym i reccomend, besides lifetime because they were not sales douches.

ps. not to step on toes, but pure fitness is pure evil. they use subpar equipment, terrible business practices and untrained staff. anyone who has worked there will attest to how aweful they are. anyplace that has suppliment quotas placed on their trainers with terminating consequences when not met is not in the business for the good of the client. the turnover of skilled employees is so high it is mind boggling, and the pressure to buy crap is rediculous.

go to mountainside or someplace that doesnt pressure and you will have a better experience there.

mtbr member
    I must agree that pure fitness turns over its employees faster than abercrombie or hollister at chandler mall. I have a few friends that work there and they are always trying to sell their overpriced supplements that are of sub-par quality. The trainers are required to clean which never happens and the machines are only OK. This is a great budget gym though because its under 200 bucks. Also the people at this pure fitness are friendly, not too many gold's gym meatheads. If you have the cash, lifetime fitness is sweet. When I used to work out there, during the football offseason, Donovan Mcnabb, Larry Fitz, and Matt Leinart all work out there. They have a wet and dry sauna, rockwall, b-ball courts, pools, you name it...they have it.

pedaller
    Donovan Mcnabb, Larry Fitz, and Matt Leinart all work out there.
    OK, so that one is off the list for my wife...

Thanks for all the replies and helpful info. At the end of the day, convenience will be a big factor since any membership isn't worth much if she can't get there often and with 2 little ones at home, time is a premium...
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

livin' the dream......
    I used to go to Lifetime Fitness at Scottsdale Rd. & Mayo. Great facility, no pressure to buy anything, daycare for the kids, climbing wall and spectacular scenery and good equipment.

In some domestic budget reductions, the gym membership had to go bye-bye for now. I've dusted off my gear in the garage. I do miss the scenery though...........

Salty Dog

Life Time Fitness

Quote Originally Posted by tjkm
    I used to go to Lifetime Fitness at Scottsdale Rd. & Mayo. Great facility, no pressure to buy anything, daycare for the kids, climbing wall and spectacular scenery and good equipment.

In some domestic budget reductions, the gym membership had to go bye-bye for now. I've dusted off my gear in the garage. I do miss the scenery though...........
    We use the same facility, but cost is not an issue for us.

Great trainers, facility, constantly cleaning (not trainers), good classes available at no extra cost. On site child care and LOTS of all kinds of equipment.

We go there off times so it's never crowded, but it's a really big facility with 10,000 members so if they all showed up the same time, yikes...

I highly recommend it, but I don't know how the cost compares.
    Ventana El Rey - sweet 9er magic! OR sweet Serendipity Superfly 100

livin' the dream......
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty Dog
    We use the same facility, but cost is not an issue for us.

Great trainers, facility, constantly cleaning (not trainers), good classes available at no extra cost. On site child care and LOTS of all kinds of equipment.

We go there off times so it's never crowded, but it's a really big facility with 10,000 members so if they all showed up the same time, yikes...

I highly recommend it, but I don't know how the cost compares.

I just found out today that I am NOT getting laid off, thank goodness! After I get bored with my exercise equipment, or it hits 130 degrees in the garage, I may go back to Lifetime, but thinking about Mountainside Fitness. I heard they have some type of training equipment to simulate high altitude training. Anyone have any insight on this?

A plethora of pinatas
    Check out Coyote Athletic Center http://www.coyotesathleticcenters.com/

Great club that has several fellow mountain bikers in management. They are also currently running some great New Year's Specials!
    Marty

livin' the dream......
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoplea
    Check out Coyote Athletic Center http://www.coyotesathleticcenters.com/

Great club that has several fellow mountain bikers in management. They are also currently running some great New Year's Specials!

Thanks for the info!

Members who have read this thread: 0