OT: Freaky Mucus- Mtbr.com
    Two wheels are better

OT: Freaky Mucus

I have been cooped up inside for going on 9 days now with one of the worst colds I have ever had, so I apologize in advance for this off topic, kind of gross post... but I guess I finally snapped and had to share this with everyone as it freaked the hell out of me.

Before I begin my tale, I want to first assure we all have the proper mental image of a loogie. The thick, yellowish-green slime that slides from our lungs forever putrefying that piece of trail at our feet. The brown, milky, gelatinous creature that sticks to the bathroom sink in the morning after pulling tubes all night. Can we all see that jiggly mass of ooze in our minds eye? Okay then...

Now imagine you are playing Portal and hacking up phlegm burgers like any normal sick person. Drinking your ginger-ale and dragging your companion cube along with you like any other sick day. Suddenly your vision goes blurry and it is as if you are peering through fogged glass. You hurry to the bathroom mirror to see why the world has suddenly become one giant milky white cloud. To your horror you find that 80% of both eyeballs are completely covered by loogies!!! That's right, yellowish phlegm floating over the surface of your eye. Now we're not talking about some goop that is in the corner of your eye, we've all had that, no we're talking about an honest to god loogie that is obstructing your vision. You take a tissue and wipe your eyeballs off and find it leaves the paper looking as if you just blew your nose. You sit on the edge of your toilet seat staring at your kleenex in disbelief...

This happened to me so many times last night that I ended up just going to bed because I couldn't see anymore. Needless to say I was freaked out as I had no idea that you could get that much mucus out on the surface of the eye.

Anyway, hopefully this will disipate shortly and I will be back on the trail in no time
    "There are two kinds of people in this world that go around beardless—boys and women, and I am neither one"

mtbr member
    My guess would be one of three things...
    * Some kind of gnarly eye infection.
    * Bad allergies. When I was a child, I had to soak my eyes for ten minutes before I could open them up in the morning. They were glued shut with eye boogers.
    * Wear eye protection when you pet the one eye snake.
    Last edited by SPIDERS; 04-06-2010 at 12:17 PM.
    It's only skin, it'll grow back!!

Save the drama for your mama!!!

Porkchop Sandwiches!

My other ride is your mom
    I prefer to call it, "Head Butter".....sounds like you got yourself a sinus infection....as a long time sinus problem guy with a sinus surgery behind me....I know what it's like to blow crap out of my eyeball. Nuke yourself with 120mg of psuedoephedrine, some expectorant like Mucinex, pop some anti-histamines....and then drink a boat load of water......repeat the dosing as instructions call for it....and keep it up until you've been dried out for a while.

I'm not a dr....but have been living with this for a long time.

Two wheels are better
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    I prefer to call it, "Head Butter".....sounds like you got yourself a sinus infection....as a long time sinus problem guy with a sinus surgery behind me....I know what it's like to blow crap out of my eyeball. Nuke yourself with 120mg of psuedoephedrine, some expectorant like Mucinex, pop some anti-histamines....and then drink a boat load of water......repeat the dosing as instructions call for it....and keep it up until you've been dried out for a while.

I'm not a dr....but have been living with this for a long time.

Yep, that has been my drug regime for awhile now. Yesterday, finally went to doctor and they added a Z-pack to the med mixture. The only thing that I haven't been doing is the antihistamine. My doc said benadryl can cause congestion and to stick to the Sudafed and Mucinex. Have you found this isn't the case? I ask because I was really happy with the benadryl, but stopped it obviously since I didn't want to exacerbate the congestion.
    "There are two kinds of people in this world that go around beardless—boys and women, and I am neither one"

My other ride is your mom
    For me, antihistamines do not cause congestion....otherwise I would have stopped them. Perhaps you are different...only you can answer that for yourself.

It's a slugfest!
    This story ....combined with the freakish clown picture....has me scared worse than any "hand hook on the car door handle" story heard around the campfire ....

Does that eye goop have a salty taste????

-SS
    "I've got nothing to hoard...."

How much further ???
    Pink eye?
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

Two wheels are better
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1
    Pink eye?
    Doctor said he didn't think so. Said its not uncommon to have mucus seep into your eye cavity if you blow your noes with a decent amount of force. Although if it isn't gone in a day or two, then he's making me get the drops just in case.

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedstealth
    Doctor said he didn't think so. Said its not uncommon to have mucus seep into your eye cavity if you blow your noes with a decent amount of force. Although if it isn't gone in a day or two, then he's making me get the drops just in case.
    Pink eye is just worst. If you arent waking up with your eyes glued shut then you hopefully and probably dont have pink eye. Scariest feeling in the world to wake up and not be able to open your eyes.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

Plasko
    Pics. Must have pics.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1
    Scariest feeling in the world to wake up and not be able to open your eyes.
    This happened to me in boot camp, it was my first time with pink eye. I was a little freaked when I had to use my fingers to peel my eye lids open.
    Fate favors the prepared.

mtbr member
    Yeah, there is something nasty going around. I've had a nasty cold since last Wednesday. Major mucus and coughing. Word to the wise, don't call your wife into the bathroom to show her what came out of your face!

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    The phlegm is a lie!
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

Two wheels are better
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit
    The phlegm is a lie!
    Was hoping for at least one Portal reference

Members who have read this thread: 0