OT: Disgraced Rider and New US Team- Mtbr.com
    Tucson, AZ

OT: Disgraced Rider and New US Team

NY Times article on David Millar and doping. Great article.
    Last edited by chadfbrown; 11-14-2007 at 05:25 PM.

banned

yeah...

Great article, but once a doper....

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Good stuff. Who better to discourage other riders from doping than someone who's been there and done that and paid the consequences already.
    You COULD do it on a geared bike, but I wouldn't reccomend it!

Derailleurs are for failures!

Fragile - must be Italian
    I'm sorry, but this kind of "feel good" reporting makes me sick. How many stories have we seen like this over the years? Lots. And has cheating declined? Probably not.

At face value it looks nice, but until cheating becomes SOCIALLY UNACCEPTABLE among everybody in sports, the few guys who get busted and then turn their lives around and "clean up"...and then preach about it...do nothing for the sport.

The question is -- why did you cheat in the first place?

The obvious answer is -- because everybody else is doing it, and in order to compete at their level, I had to as well.

Yeah, Millar lost everything. But what he lost was gained through cheating. Cheating gave him all of the fame and fortune. Those who never cheat often don't get a glimpse of what Millar was able to gain through cheating.

So what's worse? Never cheating and never winning...or cheating and winning with the risk of losing it all? Most athletes would chose the latter to at least share in the "limelight" as opposed to taking the morally high ground and risk being second place their entire career.

As I said -- cheating has to become socially unacceptable WITHIN the sport. Only when peer pressure is such that cheaters are pushed out by peers as opposed to police or other ruling bodies, rampant cheating will continue.

I know I'm a cynic, and hopefully Millar is the real deal and will continue to be clean. But seriously...does this sport have any credibility left?

Just my 2 cents...

Thx...Doug

Ouch, I am hot!
    I think pro cycling is one of the best sports ever. I will always support it and be a huge fan. It has more credibility than the four major US sports combined and here is why:

Baseball - a freaking joke. Everyone and his mother used drugs and we all know it. Baseball looked the other way and is still looking there. Take, for example, Roger Clemens. Come on people, he is a cheater.

Football. Hell all those dudes are roid monsters. We don't care.

Basketball. Roids, pot, cheating referees, punks like Marbury and so on and so forth. You get the picture. David Stern is a power hungry freak. He knows how to really enforce the rules.

Hockey. Huh? One of the major sports in the US? Not!!!

We are then left with Nascar, and you all know how I feel about it.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Fragile - must be Italian
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    I think pro cycling is one of the best sports ever. I will always support it and be a huge fan. It has more credibility than the four major US sports combined and here is why:
    Geoff -- I wasn't railing against pro cycling. I was railing against ALL professional sports.

I mean...c'mon...pick your sport and theres an underlying drug habit to be found in a vast majority of players.

Cycling, running, sprinting, football, baseball, basketball...all filled with huge % of cheaters.

Worse yet...we pay and support these people? WTF? In the end the joke (and blame) is on us.

So what's left? Not much. Golf and Nascar. Maybe hockey. For now. I'm sure something will come along with those sports too.

Thx...Doug

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    Geoff -- I wasn't railing against pro cycling. I was railing against ALL professional sports.

I mean...c'mon...pick your sport and theres an underlying drug habit to be found in a vast majority of players.

Cycling, running, sprinting, football, baseball, basketball...all filled with huge % of cheaters.

Worse yet...we pay and support these people? WTF? In the end the joke (and blame) is on us.

So what's left? Not much. Golf and Nascar. Maybe hockey. For now. I'm sure something will come along with those sports too.

Thx...Doug
    Cycling is left. It is a great sport. It is undertaking more efforts than most other sports to clean up.

Just to add, the non-cycling fans (none of us here) that yap about how lame cycling is because of the drug issues are never going to be new cycling fans. They think bikes are toys. Let them yap away. Same with soccer. It is never going to be more than what it is in this country. The "let's make soccer/cycling popular in the US" movements are a joke.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Too many Sedonuts...
    That's why coIlege athletics are better. Roids? Probably. But at least there is no obscene paycheck involved. And there is nothing better than a good BCS rant.
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

Too many Sedonuts...
    That's why coIlege athletics are better. Roids? Probably. But at least there is no obscene paycheck involved. And there is nothing better than a good BCS rant.
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I agree that dopers suck, and pro-cycling has been dirty for a long time(since day one?), but it is kinda nice to see the occasional mainstream article that doesn't focus on the all the negative drug scandals for once.

At least Millar had the juevos to admit that he cheated(although only after he was busted ), unlike some who still insist on complete denial(Tyler Hamilton, Floyd Landis??).

As far as peer pressure and trying to help clean up the sport, I think Slipstream is one of the few teams who are actually making some effort in this direction.
    You COULD do it on a geared bike, but I wouldn't reccomend it!

Derailleurs are for failures!

Members who have read this thread: 0