OT: Dealing with an abandonded vehicle- Mtbr.com
    Meatbomb

OT: Dealing with an abandonded vehicle

If I remember right, we may have a cop or two on here -

Last week I noticed a bass boat sitting across the street from my house. It did not appear right, like the owner had not placed it there so I called the PD to come out and see what the scoop was on Sat. the officer said it was not reported stolen and the owner lived at the end of my block. She drove down and attempted contact but no one was home. So she left. It appears to me that someone tried to steal the boat and it hopped off their hitch as they were driving down my street. The front trailer wheel is ground down to nothing and there is a mark on the street for about 20.

I tried knocking on the owners door and it appears that the house may be vacant (owner walked away and left boat?). So, my question is , how long does it have to sit on my street before I can have it removed? I did not get a police report on Sat when they came out ?

Do I bug the police again or do I need to wait a while longer? Is there a waiting period before it is considered abandoned? They have better things to do than deal with this but I was not given any info around next steps from the officer and I want it gone.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    No report would be taken if no crime was committed. If you don't specifically request that the officer contact you in these situations, he or she typically won't.

You're in Scottsdale, right? Go ahead and call back on the non-emergency line. Advise the calltaker nicely that the boat is still there and appears abandoned. Request contact from the officer that gets dispatched. He or she can do an abandoned sticker, typically let it sit for two more days after the notice, then have it towed.

Rhino
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    If I remember right, we may have a cop or two on here -

Last week I noticed a bass boat sitting across the street from my house. It did not appear right, like the owner had not placed it there so I called the PD to come out and see what the scoop was on Sat. the officer said it was not reported stolen and the owner lived at the end of my block. She drove down and attempted contact but no one was home. So she left. It appears to me that someone tried to steal the boat and it hopped off their hitch as they were driving down my street. The front trailer wheel is ground down to nothing and there is a mark on the street for about 20.

I tried knocking on the owners door and it appears that the house may be vacant (owner walked away and left boat?). So, my question is , how long does it have to sit on my street before I can have it removed? I did not get a police report on Sat when they came out ?

Do I bug the police again or do I need to wait a while longer? Is there a waiting period before it is considered abandoned? They have better things to do than deal with this but I was not given any info around next steps from the officer and I want it gone.
    Do you WANT the boat or just want it REMOVED?
    I've gained possession and tagged an abandoned vehicle before. It takes some effort, but it's not hard.

Meatbomb
    No, I do NOT want this boat .......

if it was a clean fully fueled 30' Cruiser Yacht it would be a different story..

I'll try knocking on the owners door one more time and then call the Police again .

mtbr member
    Do you happen to have an HOA? If so, I am sure the bylaws don't allow trailer docking for more than 24 hours. Report to them and have them tow it.

Try calling a towing company and say you have an abandoned vehicle out front and want it gone. They may move it.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

Rhino
    I would take a piece of cardboard and spray paint "FREE" on it and put it on the boat. Then call your crew over and sit on the front porch and chug some Ox 45 talls and laugh the day away.

Meatbomb
    No HOA... I'll go through the PD so there is a trail of it's location in case the owner actually wants it back.

mtbr member
    you know what you should do is apply for a title through the DMV...the owner of the boat will have 90 days to respond...if they don't resond within 90 days then the boat is yours...

mtbr member
    I can get the boat sold for you...if you can get a title...i'm a dealer in Mesa...i always got people looking for cheap boats...let me know

Meatbomb
    I'd prefer to see the owner get it back IF they want it... otherwise, it's not worth the hassle for me.

What kind of boats do you deal in? I'm going to be back in the market soon.

mtbr member
    anything you want...i can get ya

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    put an add in the free section of CL and I we can start a pool for how long it takes. I bet 45 mins, no more.....
    and the lurker returns to the dark corner

Meatbomb
    now THAT would be funny....

Members who have read this thread: 0