OT- Coffee- Mtbr.com

Thread: OT- Coffee

Meatpuppet

OT- Coffee

Alright, I LOVE caffeine.

I have an espresso machine. I love it and it loves me
    We have about supporting local business's and such, well I think this is in the same realm.
    I have seen 53X11 coffee in catalogs and such but didnt know anything about it and surely never ordered it. I had the oppotunity to have my fair share of it this past week and its really good! Aside from it being very good its a company owned and operated by a couple of cyclists that in my opinion are doing gods work(alright mabey thats a little much). I checked out their website http://www.53x11coffee.com/Default.asp?Redirected=Y and was pleasantly surprised at the find. I wanted to share this with my fellow riders and cyclists who wish to support their caffeine habits in a fruitful way. Starbucks have enough regular households brewing there grounds, and drinking their brews. Lets help support some of our own. I think you'll agree.
    My Third Eye Has A Cataract

wrecking crew
    mmmm...cooofffeeeee! Thanks for the java info, looks pretty cool and we'll have to try some out!

btw~WE MISSED YOU!
    ~~~

Lets have some Kool-aid!
    I've bought the coffee a number of times from the Hammer nutrition website and I love it. The coffee is "Certified Organic" and is also "Fair Trade Certified" I prefer the Chain Breaker flavor which is 100% Sumatran. Mmmmm.....gotta have my joe.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Also not to be missed is http://www.lostdutchmancoffee.com/

Local company that roasts the beans after your order is placed and ships quick! I highly recommend the three bag sampler for espresso and latte drinkers.

By the way thanks for the reminder to order more!

I bike, I brew
    Since a lot of my riding is in the wee hours of the morning, I guess I never considered coffee as "Off Topic" from cycling Thanks for the tip - always looking for a good cup that *isn't* Starbucks!

mtbr member
    For us Northsiders, or anyone who drives up this way- there is a indy owned coffee shop on the NE corner of 40st and Bell that I love to go to. I drive past about 5 Starsucks and 2 Coffee Bean and Tea Grief to get there. It is named Beans, Barks and Books and is in the old Brewed Awakenings store front. The ladies that own and run the place are great- They actually will take the time to hold a conversation with you! Egads what is wrong with them? Also, they are in the process of getting permits to build an outdoor patio with a special turf that is especially for coffee lovers with dogs. And they sell used books too. I give them a big thumbs up for running a store completely unconventionally and against most rules of business growth.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

Meatpuppet
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem
    Also, they are in the process of getting permits to build an outdoor patio with a special turf that is especially for coffee lovers with dogs. And they sell used books too. I give them a big thumbs up for running a store completely unconventionally and against most rules of business growth.
    Thats cool !
    Our "Barky VonSchnuazer" loves to be out with us.

Saucy Size
    Awesome lead, I'll buy my next couple pounds from them.

We've been buying from flyingbean.com, but we just picked up a sampler pack from Bisbee Coffee from the 4th Ave. Street Fair last weekend in Tucson. They have some really wacky beans (haven't had the guts to try the civit-digested ones yet!), and they overnight to you for no extra charge. Very hard to beat beans roasted in the past couple days -- unless you roast yourself, which I'm gonna try later this winter!

What's your machine? We run a Gaggia Titanium here.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

mtbr member
    I wish they shipped to the US:

Bean Around the World - Canadian coffee, absolutely awesome. They shipped me a few pounds after I asked nicely and it was incredible - I'm trying to figure out a way to get more, as they don't have any US distribution.
    Plus, they are cyclists as well.

oh yeah, its www.cowboycoffee.ca

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quickmill Andreja Premium is what we're using right now. Just got it in October and we're really enjoying it! Before that it was the old standard Rancilio Silvia. The Silvia was a great machine but a little slow for the milk based drinks... I like the speed of the new machine. Of course we've got the Rancilio Rocky for a grinder too. Pays to have good gear!

Not sure i can hang with the digested beans... I mean if it goes in a mouth and comes out a butt, isn't it still crap? There's a ton of good roasters out there and I can't wait to try my hand at it myself. Probably going to gear up for that in the new year as well.

Saucy Size
    That's a very fancy machine! I was looking at something like this when I got my first one, but wussed out and went the super-automatic route. I'm kind of regretting I didn't learn the espresso game the correct way, but I figure pulling my own shots is probably a little like learning to build my own wheels. Someday, maybe, if I don't get the quality I need out of my current setup.

p.

Ouch, I am hot!
    I get my coffee here: Great Place to Get Coffee

It is very convenient too.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I can definitely understand the desire to go auto. I started with junk Krups thermoblock machines. I must have wasted 10 pounds of coffee! When I first bought the Sylvia it took about a pound to get it right. One Saturday afternoon I just sat down and pulled shot after shot until I got it right. Nowadays It's a no brainer and the shots come without effort. I actually enjoy the process. It's also fun to see folks taste the coffee for the first time and ask why it's so good!

I still think the automatics are cool though. Buck Rogers coffee machine!

All That is Man
    What's wrong with Folgers? How is it supposed to wake you up if it doesn't taste like cigarette butts?
    John

Meatpuppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Awesome lead, I'll buy my next couple pounds from them.

We've been buying from flyingbean.com, but we just picked up a sampler pack from Bisbee Coffee from the 4th Ave. Street Fair last weekend in Tucson. They have some really wacky beans (haven't had the guts to try the civit-digested ones yet!), and they overnight to you for no extra charge. Very hard to beat beans roasted in the past couple days -- unless you roast yourself, which I'm gonna try later this winter!

What's your machine? We run a Gaggia Titanium here.

p.

DeLonghi EC155 15-Bar Pump-Driven Espresso Maker
    $99
    actually works pretty good

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrodr
    DeLonghi EC155 15-Bar Pump-Driven Espresso Maker
    $99
    actually works pretty good
    After my last go-round with the manufacturer on a maintenance/warranty issue that took almost three months to resolve, a simple manual was looking awfully good.

p.

mr. wonderful
    IMO-
    best local roaster is MATADOR
    best period is STUMPTOWN

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag
    IMO-
    best period is STUMPTOWN

I'll second Stumptown, they are great both with their coffee's and their company. I ordered some Saturday and it was on my doorstep yesterday

Another one on par with Stumptown is Metropolis Coffee out of Chicago, same kind of deal, all organic and fair trade.

http://www.metropoliscoffee.com/

Ridin' Dirty
    Paul B,

Definitely roast your own beans. I buy various green beans from SweetMarias.com and roast them in a popcorn popper in my garage. 'Tis nice and fresh and makes my garage smell like a coffee-house. MMMMM

-Bobby
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ouch, I am hot!
    Damn coffee addicts. Home roasting, mail order, expensive fancy machines, local vs. global hybrids, slow milk capabilities, premium blend this and premium blend that, and so on and so forth...yaddah...yaddah.yaddah. Bunch of freaks. Come on people. JUST SAY NO!!!!!!
    I AM JUST A JERK

Meatpuppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    Damn coffee addicts. Home roasting, mail order, expensive fancy machines, local vs. global hybrids, slow milk capabilities, premium blend this and premium blend that, and so on and so forth...yaddah...yaddah.yaddah. Bunch of freaks. Come on people. JUST SAY NO!!!!!!
    We DO......

No to $6 Starbuck latte's
    No to Sh1tty Maxwell house coffee
    No lazy-conformity!!

Viva la evalucion!

Ouch, I am hot!
    This is like the King of France claiming the King of England is not royal enough.

I say go tea. Earl Grey, hot, ala Jean-Luc.

Alright. Fine. Enjoy your devil juice....erg....coffee.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Sup?

I use one of these

Meatpuppet
    This is like the King of France claiming the King of England is not royal enough.

actually enjoying a cup of Trader Joes hot organic green tea right now

MMmmm.......devil juice!!

Saucy Size

I thought beer was devil juice? Or is that devil piss? I know the swill you drink is piss.

In the a.m.: Triple shot of Italian roast espresso and a nice little dollop of foam (2% milk)

In the afternoon: A cup of something either from the Republic of Tea (today it's vanilla almond) or shaved off the block of gunpowder green tea I buy from the Chinese market.

In the evening: Bottle of Hoegaarden. Yum.

That's three of the gayest drinks I can think of, actually. Guess I'd better go tell the missus.

p.

Meatpuppet
    Quote Originally Posted by honemastert
    how's it work? decent?
    I bought the stovetop espresso maker, before the machine I have now and
    could never get it right.

Ouch, I am hot!
    I thought beer was devil juice? Or is that devil piss? I know the swill you drink is piss.

In the a.m.: Triple shot of Italian roast espresso and a nice little dollop of foam (2% milk)

In the afternoon: A cup of something either from the Republic of Tea (today it's vanilla almond) or shaved off the block of gunpowder green tea I buy from the Chinese market.

In the evening: Bottle of Hoegaarden. Yum.

That's three of the gayest drinks I can think of, actually. Guess I'd better go tell the missus.

p.
    This sounds like the Republic of Gay not the Republic of Tea.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Ouch, I am hot!
    actually enjoying a cup of Trader Joes hot organic green tea right now

MMmmm.......devil juice!!
    Huh? Please tell me you are joking. Organic green tea doesn't exactly fit with your tough dude image. You have got to back those tats up. Organic anything doesn't cut it.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    IMO-
    best period is STUMPTOWN
    IMO-

Good tips! Will give em both a try...

Ordered! That seems like an awesome idea and the price is even better.

For those that say this is too much to invest in coffee, well.... I say, you could ride a huffy on many of the trails out there and still have a good time, but none of us would. Either we're bike snobs or the end result is garbage. I feel the same way about coffee. And it's something I enjoy minimum twice a day. I figure it's cheap for the return I get! If I'm a coffee snob then so be it... but I think otherwise!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Paul, roasting sounds great - how do you do it??? I also like to see my $ go somewhere but Starbucks where they repeat every order placed, like they are stupid or something?!?! Grind my own with my coveted Capresso Conical Burr Grinder, swear it makes a difference! Then brewed with old - Made in Germany Braun Drip Coffee Maker. Lets try new grinds - Starbucks would not even send our troops overseas coffee - little known fact, they should really be ashamed. Haven't they made enough money???

Sup?

It works really really well

how's it work? decent?
    I bought the stovetop espresso maker, before the machine I have now and
    could never get it right.
    This thing is pretty hard to screw up.. the biggest
    trick is getting the right number of scoops for the
    strength of the brew.

I take a 2 cup glass pyrex measuring cup, top it
    off with water, put it in the microwave. Assemble
    the thing, put in 2.5 to 3 scoops (4 seems too strong
    for my tastes) pour in half the water, stir, let it steep
    for about 10 secs. then press.

Put the rest of the hot H2O into the cup and you're
    done!

Makes a pretty strong brew, but then I just dump in
    flavoured creamer, splenda, vanilla whatever to tone
    it down. Never learned to take my coffee just black.

The best results were with the pure Kona stuff that I
    brought back from the big island trip last year, pricey
    though.

I dont waste an entire pot anymore, havent used the
    drip coffee maker at the house since getting this thing.

Also works well on camping trips, no more crappy
    instant coffee on the road!

Money well spent!

Sup?

Too funny!

That's funny.. Coffee, Bikes, Massages, we all have our vices..

Redbush (S. African) Roobois tea is one of my favs when
    I want something hot, without the caffine.

My latest experiment (for the guys out there)
    single blade DE Safety Razor shaving (like your grandpa, and
    probably your father) used to do?

Just say no to the latest Mach III, IV, Fusion Quintuple Bladed
    $30 cartridge pack from Costco hell!

The blades are cheap, the initial shaving hardware
    a bit more expensive, (The German made Merkur HD was
    around $24 or so) but the results are awesome.

I'll never use a stupid can of foam shave cream/gell again!

I need to ask my Dad why he quit using that setup
    years ago.

Back to coffee.. sorry for the thread hijack!

mtbr member
    Huh? Please tell me you are joking. Organic green tea doesn't exactly fit with your tough dude image. You have got to back those tats up. Organic anything doesn't cut it.
    Organic tea has to fight off the insects and that with no pesticides which makes it tough tea. Plus- he drinks it overly hot, without blowing on it. Oh and no sugar or milk- straight up and strong. Tea is for tough guys!
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem
    Organic tea has to fight off the insects and that with no pesticides which makes it tough tea. Plus- he drinks it overly hot, without blowing on it. Oh and no sugar or milk- straight up and strong. Tea is for tough guys!
    I am drinking some Earl Grey black tea as I write this. After my years of living abroad with some blokes, I got hooked on the tea. Good stuff. In fact, it is on my xmas list this year.

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by tls36
    Paul, roasting sounds great - how do you do it??? I also like to see my $ go somewhere but Starbucks where they repeat every order placed, like they are stupid or something?!?! Grind my own with my coveted Capresso Conical Burr Grinder, swear it makes a difference! Then brewed with old - Made in Germany Braun Drip Coffee Maker. Lets try new grinds - Starbucks would not even send our troops overseas coffee - little known fact, they should really be ashamed. Haven't they made enough money???
    Screw Starbucks. Their coffee is crap, their music is crap, the fact that you can see a Starbucks while sitting in another Starbucks is crap, their for-pay wifi is crap. I hear they're an excellent part-time employer, though.

Apparently home roasting involves nothing more than a hot air popcorn popper and a thermometer. It's probably loud as hell, you can only do very small batches (which is maybe a good thing, since green coffee has a shelf-life of months, compared to a roasted shelf-life of days -- unless you buy Sanka, like Geoff), it ruins the popcorn popper for popcorn. I've been reading this page for ideas.

p.

Ouch, I am hot!
    Screw Starbucks. Their coffee is crap...
    Serious question on this from a non-expert, although I like coffee. Putting all this homebrew, self-roasting and mail order stuff aside, isn't Starbucks the best "everyday" option, or at least a pretty good one? I just like Starbucks way better than any other randomly selected local coffee place that happens to by around. For example, here at work I can go down to the little coffee place in the building, or some other little coffee stop nearby or I can go to Starbucks. Of these types of places, Starbucks always tastes better, IMHO. There may be better coffee houses out there, but unless one lives next to them or wants to make a special coffee "run", Starbucks seems the way to go.

This morning I went to the place downstairs - Java City. I am wishing I went to Starbucks. I can see 12 from my window.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Meatpuppet
    Big Chain over independant
    Frys over Whole foods
    Starbucks over 53x11
    preservatives over organic

its all preferances and what you want out of it

Tucson, AZ
    Serious question on this from a non-expert, although I like coffee. Putting all this homebrew, self-roasting and mail order stuff aside, isn't Starbucks the best "everyday" option, or at least a pretty good one?
    I heart circle k coffee. 2/10 times that I go in for a 94 cent refill the lady gives me a free refill, which I graciously accept and donate my dollar to the MD charity bin. Plus it is on my way to work. Fill the water bottle with coffee and ride to work. Win win situation.

Tucson, AZ
    Screw Starbucks. Their coffee is crap, their music is crap, the fact that you can see a Starbucks while sitting in another Starbucks is crap, their for-pay wifi is crap. I hear they're an excellent part-time employer, though.
    /URL].

p.
    Amen that Paul.

parenting for gnarness
    this still cracks me up when i read it:
    http://www.theonion.com/content/node/29030
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Meatpuppet
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    this still cracks me up when i read it:
    http://www.theonion.com/content/node/29030
    Holy cr@p is that for real??

Anyone seen the stand of Lewis Black a few years back, where he talked about the end of the world or something when he walked out of a Starbucks in Texas and straight across the way was another Satrbucks........??

I was on a ride with some folk and we stopped for coffee and I got an espresso, they charged me $3

Saucy Size
    Serious question on this from a non-expert, although I like coffee. Putting all this homebrew, self-roasting and mail order stuff aside, isn't Starbucks the best "everyday" option, or at least a pretty good one? I just like Starbucks way better than any other randomly selected local coffee place that happens to by around. For example, here at work I can go down to the little coffee place in the building, or some other little coffee stop nearby or I can go to Starbucks. Of these types of places, Starbucks always tastes better, IMHO. There may be better coffee houses out there, but unless one lives next to them or wants to make a special coffee "run", Starbucks seems the way to go.

This morning I went to the place downstairs - Java City. I am wishing I went to Starbucks. I can see 12 from my window.
    Starbucks is better than some local coffee places, way worse than others. You have to look around and explore. Just like bike shops. Starbucks is, like, the Tempe Bike of coffee places: Perfectly serviceable but you can do better (and worse).

Starbucks has a very specific flavor that, through a decade+ of hardcore marketing and indoctrination, has become the default "this is what coffee house coffee is supposed to taste like" taste. It's way WAY overroasted, which also means it's way undercaffeinated (heat kills caffeine) and tastes "burned." Seriously, go check out a Seattle Espresso or, since you're midtown, Copper Star Cafe to see what non-burned boutique coffee should taste like.

p.

All That is Man
    No to Sh1tty Maxwell house coffee
    No lazy-conformity!!
    How about . . .

No to ANY $6 drink
    Yes to the cheapest store brand coffee because it's cheap
    Yes to not caring about conformity

Isn't mountain biking expensive enough!
    John

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Starbucks is better than some local coffee places, way worse than others. You have to look around and explore. Just like bike shops. Starbucks is, like, the Tempe Bike of coffee places: Perfectly serviceable but you can do better (and worse).

Starbucks has a very specific flavor that, through a decade+ of hardcore marketing and indoctrination, has become the default "this is what coffee house coffee is supposed to taste like" taste. It's way WAY overroasted, which also means it's way undercaffeinated (heat kills caffeine) and tastes "burned." Seriously, go check out a Seattle Espresso or, since you're midtown, Copper Star Cafe to see what non-burned boutique coffee should taste like.

p.
    Exactly! Their flavor is absent due to over roasting.

Just Joshin' ya!
    I like LUX coffee house. It is on central just south of Campbell. It is also next to Pane Bianco which has the best sandwiches in Phoenix. Fighting words I know, but I'll take on challenges. The owner and chef at Pane, Chris Bianco was walking around with Mario Batali today. How cool is that? I saw a real Iron Chef.
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

Meatpuppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero Signal
    How about . . .

No to ANY $6 drink - Agreed
    Yes to the cheapest store brand coffee because it's cheap- make your own and its as cheap and actually good!!
    Yes to not caring about conformity- Agreed, but one shouldn't go along with something out of laziness

Isn't mountain biking expensive enough!- Yes

Pivotal figure
    Anyone tried DazBog yet? Rage started carrying it and I'm a full-on addict now. Also certified organic, etc..Price is comparable to most other "better" coffees.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nynx
    Quickmill Andreja Premium is what we're using right now. Just got it in October and we're really enjoying it! Before that it was the old standard Rancilio Silvia. The Silvia was a great machine but a little slow for the milk based drinks... I like the speed of the new machine. Of course we've got the Rancilio Rocky for a grinder too. Pays to have good gear!

Not sure i can hang with the digested beans... I mean if it goes in a mouth and comes out a butt, isn't it still crap? There's a ton of good roasters out there and I can't wait to try my hand at it myself. Probably going to gear up for that in the new year as well.
    Have you PID'd your Silvia yet? Makes for incredible control over brew temperature.

Gary
    PID'd Rancilio Silvia espresso maker
    Rancilio Rocky grinder
    Mazor Super Jolly grinder (bigger is better)
    Unic Twin Diva espresso machine (can you make six espressos at once?)
    Alpenrost coffee roaster
    FreshRoast coffee roaster
    Chemex brewer
    2 Bodum vacuum coffee brewers
    1 Yama vacuum coffee brewer
    1 large SS vacuum coffee brewer
    about 10 lbs of green coffee beans of various origins and varitels (time to re-order)
    one room in house just for coffee

yep, I'm a little anal about my coffee
    Gary

Members who have read this thread: 0