OT Cars / Mechanic- Mtbr.com
    wretch

OT Cars / Mechanic

Quick question. . .

We've got an '03 Discovery whose window has just come off track and I would really appreciate being pointed in the direction of a nice mechanic. We live around 44th and Thomas so something in that general area or proximity. The lady does not feel too happy about taking her car to work and leaving the window down in this lovely crime free city. That and because of the window she gets my truck which inhibits my riding which is of course the real important matter at hand.

So any mechanic? I've had nothing but bad vibes and wasted emotions working with the Land Rover dealer way up north. . .

Cheers

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Dude, welcome to the world of Land Rovers. I had a late '90s Disco a few years back; one of the worst rigs I've ever owned.

That's neither here nor there, of course. Did you try pulling the door panel yourself to see if you could put the window back on its track? There's a site called discoweb.org that might offer some guidelines.

Otherwise, there are a couple of Rover specialty shops around, one up here near Raintree and 83rd St. Be prepared for $$. A lot of regular-joe mechanics won't work on Rovers.
    d

wretch
    Thanks B. . . I've fixed windows before off track by ripping off the panels, not sure if I want to, but I'll check out that site.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    So much bad stuff happened w/ my Disco I have trouble remembering, but I believe I did have the front passenger side window come off track. I pulled the panel, but the metal interior panel of the door prevented hand access to the to the track mechanism.

Again, mine was a late 90s model so yours could be different and easier. Mine was an enormous PITA, though, and I believe I sold it unfixed.
    d

Bikes, Beer, and Sex
    I used to be a land rover tech (and no I wont fix your window). Those cars are the worst right next to audi's

Meatbomb
    Only mechanic I trust enough to send my Mom too is :

Whitey's Auto Repair
    3014 N Civic Center Plz, Scottsdale, AZ 85251
    (480) 947-4863

Honest work.

wretch
    Fixed. . . regulator and motor. . . just over 4 bills. Sunvalley Auto off of McKellips and Hayden some of the nicest auto people I've dealt with. They jokingly just said by a Jeep, it'll be in the shop just as much, but not as pricey. . .

But yea. . . the LR is what it is.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by .downhillfaster.
    Oh, if we only had a LandRover forum
    Potentially worse than the ellsworth forum.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Downhill Messiah
    dude, i wish i saw your post earlier, i am a service writer at a benz/bmw dealer, i could have gottten u a crazy good price on that reg and motor. oh well, be sure to post up again or pm me if u need more rover parts, the business is always appreciated!!!!
    Madspeed always prevails!

Salty Dog

Now I know our lives are complete...

Quote Originally Posted by .downhillfaster.
    This forum is as big, if not bigger, mess than the ellsworth forum. my god. I have pretty much given up on all you people.
    When a forum mod gives up on us, we've done really well!

Tommy
    Ventana El Rey - sweet 9er magic! OR sweet Serendipity Superfly 100

livin' the dream......
    TT,,,

Good, honest shop that I just dealt with today, and have in the past for Mrs. tjkm's Volvo XC70:

Harrison Connor Automotive
    7279 E. Adobe Dr Ste. 115
    Scottsdale, AZ 85255 480 596-3701

Cross roads Scottsdale Rd. & Deer Valley. Great guy, honest work. He works on Rovers for future reference. Glad you found another good shop in town though.

wretch
    Quote Originally Posted by tgiles
    dude, i wish i saw your post earlier, i am a service writer at a benz/bmw dealer, i could have gottten u a crazy good price on that reg and motor. oh well, be sure to post up again or pm me if u need more rover parts, the business is always appreciated!!!!
    Hey man, thanks for the heads up. Judging by the responses and the car, I'll be hitting you up soon, I'd be more than happy to steer my money in your direction and help return any other possible favours.

Cheers

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty Dog
    When a forum mod gives up on us, we've done really well!

Tommy
    YES WE CAN
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Downhill Messiah
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Trash
    Hey man, thanks for the heads up. Judging by the responses and the car, I'll be hitting you up soon, I'd be more than happy to steer my money in your direction and help return any other possible favours.

Cheers
    no problem. i hate to say it, but land rovers do have a tendency to be giant piles o' sh!t. there are only a few companies who will even sell an extended warranty for a rover. and u can buy a warranty for just about any vehicle ouy there. (besides of course ferrari/lambo etc.) i'd trade it infor an x5 if i were u! the 4.8 litre hauls ass!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tgiles
    no problem. i hate to say it, but land rovers do have a tendency to be giant piles o' sh!t. there are only a few companies who will even sell an extended warranty for a rover. and u can buy a warranty for just about any vehicle ouy there. (besides of course ferrari/lambo etc.) i'd trade it infor an x5 if i were u! the 4.8 litre hauls ass!!!!!!!!
    I hear you man, I used to have a 88' Jaguar and couldn't even find some one to sell me a radiator hose let alone replace the head gasket. Wound up rebuilding the whole motor myself and then sold that POS!!!!!!

Eating meat is murder, yummy yummy murder!!

Downhill Messiah
    Quote Originally Posted by Kortface
    I hear you man, I used to have a 88' Jaguar and couldn't even find some one to sell me a radiator hose let alone replace the head gasket. Wound up rebuilding the whole motor myself and then sold that POS!!!!!!

88 jag!!??!? all i have to say is that's scary!!!! props to rebuilding the motor yourself, that had to be no easy task.

Shred...it's the new drug
    did my guy direct you there? or did u just get lucky? glad its fixed, now how about that knee?

wretch
    Yea your guy sent me there. . . knee has about 8 rides under it. . .gettin there. Thinking about Hawes this weekend. It's still super unstable, if it gets tweaked in either the hammy direction or extended to get the PCL I cry like a little baby. That and the bionic knee brace has scratched up my new ride.

Members who have read this thread: 0