OT - AZ Related: Orange Sulphur "Alfalfa" Butterfly (With Biking Note/Plea!!!)- Mtbr.com
    wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004

OT - AZ Related: Orange Sulphur "Alfalfa" Butterfly (With Biking Note/Plea!!!)

CJ's Desert Dwellers: Orange Sulphur "Alfalfa" Butterfly Colias eurytheme

Family: Pieridae (Same family as the 'Dwarf Yellow Butterfly' from previous post)
    Subfamily: Coliadinae
    Size 41-60 mm

Male and female are bright gold/orange above with a pink 'blush' and black borders. Below, orange, yellow, or greenish-yellow with single or double red wing spot in hind wing cell (the large unbroken/unveined area on the hind wing) Both wings have a pink fringe.

The caterpillar feeds on herbaceous legumes, with alfalfa and white clover being highly preferred, (hence the common name "Alfalfa Butterfly")

It ranges throughout North America, rarer north of the Canadian border.

Common Sulphur is similar, but lacks pink fringe and is normally yellow above. Colors are similar to a Southern Dogface, but the Dogface has a 'dog face' on the wing and a pointed wingtip

Photo shows Orange Sulphur sipping nectar from a Day of the Dead Flower Symphyotricum lanceolatum.

Taken at my place.

Biking Note: My 'home responsibilities' are almost completed. I would like to get some new biking shots of the 'home trails'. If anyone is interested in a slow ride with lots of stops and 're-rides', please let me know. I'd be happy to provide any riders with high reslolution files and prints for helping!!!

I've been off the bike for a bit, (health/home) so I'm REAL SLOW. Carrying multiple pounds of gear makes me even slower.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by C.J.; 10-28-2006 at 09:54 AM.
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

Salty Dog
    C.J.,

AWESOME, thanks for sharing. My daughter is a paleoethnobotanist and I am sure she will be interested in this. Very nice. It's amazing the things we come across on this forum.

Tommy

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the beautiful pictures you post. This is a great shot!

mtbr member
    CJ
    I see that you are in Tucson what trails did you want to ride/reride I do most of my riding at star pass as it is near my home.

Members who have read this thread: 0