OT: AZ related. Moto- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

OT: AZ related. Moto

Flipping through some moto video and thought I'd share. This one (not me) is at white tanks. Potentially soon to be closed to moto due to dust control. .

~jeff

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    it is a shame that the motocross scene in arizona is so lame.

organizers don't know what they're doing. a different model and or approach should be adopted as there is great potential.

oh well....

mx

mtbr member
    Nice stuff! I race desert here in Imperial county near El Centro. I think I'd prefer riding in your desert compared to ours.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mx_599
    it is a shame that the motocross scene in arizona is so lame.

organizers don't know what they're doing. a different model and or approach should be adopted as there is great potential.

oh well....

mx
    What model(s) would you adapt to make a better scene? What organizers do you mean? AMA, AMRA, WORCS, GNCC, and the different riding clubs that hold events? And when you say motocross, do you mean closed tracks, privately owned venues? Or as the video shows, its a couple of dudes having a good time on some singletrack on a morning with very little dust. Ideally, they are on an established trail, they have state land access permits in hand, they have bikes that are quiet and have spark arresters and they don't do donuts in the parking lot. Oh, and they are nice and considerate to other users out there. Hopefully they are squid free.
    Yeah, I'd say the closures happening down in the valley really suck, and the issue is complicated, and is there some sort of relationship/ connection to mountain bikes? I don't know. Would the city of Scottsdale sometime ban mountain biking due to dust? Would the state also step in and start doing the same thing to bikes as they are trying to do with bikes with motors? But at this point, I'd say that most MTB riders don't care (cause this is a separate issue) and I haven't heard one word about mountain bikes being dust causing freaks. This issue is being talked and talked about in the motorhead forum like arizonatrail talk and southwest dirt rider.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalkpaw
    Yeah, I'd say the closures happening down in the valley really suck, and the issue is complicated, and is there some sort of relationship/ connection to mountain bikes? .
    As far as? . .

~jeff

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalkpaw
    What model(s) would you adapt to make a better scene? What organizers do you mean? AMA, AMRA, WORCS, GNCC, and the different riding clubs that hold events? And when you say motocross, do you mean closed tracks, privately owned venues? Or as the video shows, its a couple of dudes having a good time on some singletrack on a morning with very little dust. Ideally, they are on an established trail, they have state land access permits in hand, they have bikes that are quiet and have spark arresters and they don't do donuts in the parking lot. Oh, and they are nice and considerate to other users out there. Hopefully they are squid free.
    yeah, sorry i am way off topic. i was referring to closed course motocross competition. not the trail riding in the video.

yes, AMA sanctioning would be nice for starters...or something that provides some rules and cohesiveness. it is a free for all out here. people that have only seen az racing don't really know differently.

track design leaves much to be desired. it is sad when they have a piece of land to work with and cannot even "make it happen".

too many classes as well. should be consolidated. not everyone can be a winner.

no need for a school boy with goatee class, regular school boy, college boy, minis post puberty modified, minis pre puberty stock.....and everything inbetween etc etc etc. then you have all the divisions on the older side of things. sad.

i could consolidate to 8-10 classes for the day. everyone would get longer races, etc. this way a winner can really be proud to be ahead of a full gate rather champion out of 3 or 4 to the gate. this is a waste of time!

everyone runs whatever plate color they feel like.

i can go on and on and on...i have an extensive background in mx

mx

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    If you don't like the modern motocross scene here, get a vintage motocross bike and come race with the vintage racers. AVDRA has a 9 race series at Speedworld starting Oct 5 and the finals are May 16. There is also a 4 race series at ACP this winter.
    Vintage racing is awesome . We ride the bikes like Bob Hannah, David Bailey, Rick Johnson, Roger Decoster, Mikkola, Pomeroy, and all the other great riders used to race back in the early days when the US riders were starting to beat the Euros at their own game.
    The bikes are beautifully restored, full-bore racers from that era and some of the fast intermediates and experts are very fast and competitive, but keep safety a priority--we all have to go back to work on Monday. We even have a few mx pros from back in the day, and also other pro athletes from other sports--NBA, dirt cars, etc.. We race on special vintage-friendly tracks and classes are year model, cc size, age, and am/int/expert.

I race a '74 Bultaco 250 Pursang, Suzuki tm 125, and '79 RM125.( intermediate classes).
    Very fun racing without the punk attitudes and BS that usually goes with the typical modern mx races.

Robert

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by azrockrider
    If you don't like the modern motocross scene here, get a vintage motocross bike and come race with the vintage racers. AVDRA has a 9 race series at Speedworld starting Oct 5 and the finals are May 16. There is also a 4 race series at ACP this winter.
    Vintage racing is awesome . We ride the bikes like Bob Hannah, David Bailey, Rick Johnson, Roger Decoster, Mikkola, Pomeroy, and all the other great riders used to race back in the early days when the US riders were starting to beat the Euros at their own game.
    The bikes are beautifully restored, full-bore racers from that era and some of the fast intermediates and experts are very fast and competitive, but keep safety a priority--we all have to go back to work on Monday. We even have a few mx pros from back in the day, and also other pro athletes from other sports--NBA, dirt cars, etc.. We race on special vintage-friendly tracks and classes are year model, cc size, age, and am/int/expert.

I race a '74 Bultaco 250 Pursang, Suzuki tm 125, and '79 RM125.( intermediate classes).
    Very fun racing without the punk attitudes and BS that usually goes with the typical modern mx races.

Robert
    robert,

that sounds awesome! i just cannot at this point in my life. i will be able to get back into it in about 10 years.

at which time i will be able to have my own land. ideally, i would like to have a track set-up for people to ride at. especially up-and-comers. i just have to figure out the legalities to protect myself from a lawsuit and everything i have worked hard for.

i believe there are ways to make people part ownership so that it would be like they were suing themselves and it would not work...but i have plenty of time to figure that out!

if i cannot protect myself, looks like i will be the only one enjoying my sweet mx track!

mx

just 1 more
    Kinda wish I hadn't sold my '76 AW400 Maico

You shouldn't be allowed to talk vintage moto here

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    shouldn't have sold that Maico. If you had grabbed as many Maicos and Maico parts as you could find, you would be a set. Those bikes are now very valuable and in high demand.

The vintage bikes just keep appreciating and so cool to ride. They don't jump well, but corner fast and sound so cool--BRAWWP
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azrockrider
    The vintage bikes just keep appreciating and so cool to ride.
    I've got a two stroke, does that count?

~jeff

Members who have read this thread: 0