OT: anyone do any CNC/laser cutting work?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

OT: anyone do any CNC/laser cutting work?

my step-daughter is a great kid. she's 16 and has gotten a scholarship to a school she really wanted to go to. i like to tinker with metal and wood in the garage and i'd like to make her a lamp. i'd like to make the shade out of metal with a logo cut into/though it. there is no way i could cut lines straight enough free hand to make it look as nice as i'd like it to.

anyone have the ability to cut a logo in a piece of 18-20g?
    not looking for a freebie. cash, coffee, beer, whiskey.

thanks

Meatbomb
    Contact Ron Jones. 602-705-8419.

He is a rider as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    i'll call him tomorrow.
    thx

mtbr member
    I've done some pretty intricate work by make a graphic of what I wanted, gluing it to the piece (sheet metal or what ever) and then using a dremel with various cut off wheels and bits. It takes a while and requires patience. Good luck with that. Post up what you have and finish. I'm excited.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    thanks gmats. i was debating on trying to do something with a dremel. if it's for me...meh, however it turns out is just dandy. for her i'd prefer a little better quality.

i've put some led's light throughout the house that we can control with apps and with amazon dots and an echo. she thinks it's cool working them from her phone. if i can create something that looks presentable i'll put an app controllable light in the lamp and put her name on the bulb.

like i said, i like to tinker. it's cheaper therapy than sitting on some couch. between riding and tinkering i still have a pretty full head of hair and no ulcers. win-win.

thanks

My other ride is your mom
    ^FTW right there.....

parenting for gnarness
    sounds neat and a cool thing for your girl.

I don't know this guy personally or if he does what you want, but there is a professional artist and mtbr a lot of folks have done stuff with named Larry Green (i think). I've seen FB pics from folks and his stuff is neat. most of whom dont post here much anymore like Gangi and Durtgurl.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by madduck View Post
    thanks gmats. i was debating on trying to do something with a dremel. if it's for me...meh, however it turns out is just dandy. for her i'd prefer a little better quality.

i've put some led's light throughout the house that we can control with apps and with amazon dots and an echo. she thinks it's cool working them from her phone. if i can create something that looks presentable i'll put an app controllable light in the lamp and put her name on the bulb.

like i said, i like to tinker. it's cheaper therapy than sitting on some couch. between riding and tinkering i still have a pretty full head of hair and no ulcers. win-win.

thanks
    Intrigued. Cool. Sounds fun. Here where I work we do this kind of stuff (invent stuff). Have fun. Still look forward to the finished product. That being said, I did work with CAID in Tucson to get stuff done. But they're "BIG" stuff though they have some pretty cool small stuff.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    thanks guys.

gmat, are you now in hawaii? are you from the az area hence a HI resident here on the az forum? we'll be out that way in january for a buddy's wedding reception.

cholla, i remember durtgurl and did forget that she did art work. she was in tucson wasn't she?

my other plan/idea if getting something cut doesn't happen is to paint the logo on the shade. i'll make a template like gmat recommended, transfer it onto painters tape that i'll apply on the shade, cut it out with an x-acto knife and paint. i love anodized metal and found a paint that simulates it. i'm not a great artist, i.e. freehand painting, so i hope i can pull off the logo if i go the paint on idea. we'll just have to wait and see.

thanks for the help guys.

Black and Sticky
    If you are still interested, try these guys: MarZee Water Jet services

I used them to make a custom dash when I rebuilt an old Bronco. They do large industrial stuff as well as small artistic stuff. This is like CNC except done with water jet blasting. A local CNC guy that really didn't want to do my project referred me to them.

It's so cool that you are wanting to do this for your SD. What school is she going to? Congrats on her scholarship and good luck to both of you.

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall