OT: Any contractors in the house? Need help.- Mtbr.com
    Maui Grown

OT: Any contractors in the house? Need help.

I need someone to take a look at my house and thought I'd start with the MTB community before I went to the yellow pages.

Here's the situation: one room in my house is extremely warm compared to the rest of the house. We notice cracks or separation starting to form around the bedroom window and the drywall. Also, the baseboards have started to separate along the same wall as well. My wife has noticed that the shutters in that room have shifted a little as well, allowing more sunlight in than it used to.

Iím guessing the bedroom wall or even the whole bedroom has shifted somehow causing the leaks and allowing hot air in? I was thinking of just caulking the window to hopefully give it a better seal but feel that is like putting a Band-Aid on a gunshot wound. Any thoughts? The reason for our concern is that this is my daughterís bedroom and we canít keep it cool enough for her. She has been waking up in a sweat lately.

If there is anyone out there that wouldn't mind taking a look and giving me a professional opinion it would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping it's something that can be fixed relatively easily and is not going to entail any real major construction.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, ideas or offers to come take a look.

You can post-up or send me a PM. Thank you.

EDR
    How long have you lived in this house? My real question is was it much cooler in this room prior to the above mentioned issues or has it always been somewhat 'hot'?

mtbr member
    PM sent. Hopefully not the need for foundation work.
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

Big B's Trails
    ^^^ this, feel your floor and see if you can feel a settled section or uplifted section under the flooring or a substantial crack. I am a GC (Manning Construction) but unfortunately I live in Las Vegas so not really able to help other than Internet guessing from your description. Could also be that it was there all along and was already band-aided to hide it and your now seeing the band-aid come off ...does it look like caulking splitting at a already existing gap? Or is it cracks that are actually forming in the drywall/sheetrock? What about cracks in drywall on ceiling?
    I dig dirt!

Big B's Trails
    Also is it a room addition or a part of the original structure?
    I dig dirt!

Kathleen in AZ
    Maybe have your A/C and ducts inspected to see if you're getting proper air flow to that room.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    How long have you lived in this house? My real question is was it much cooler in this room prior to the above mentioned issues or has it always been somewhat 'hot'?
    This 1st^^^^^^^^^

How new is the house?
    New part of town?
    Neighbors with similar problems?
    Any cracking on outside walls?
    How new is the problem?

We live in a 4 bedroom house built in 1980 with 2A/C's one for the "living" part of the house and one for the bedrooms part. My oldest daughter's room is at the end of the ducting for the bedrooms and faces south. Her room is always way warmer in the summer especaly at night. The point of the story is we need a bigger A/C for the bedrooms, sounds like a different problem than you have.

Maui Grown

More Info

Thanks for all the posts and PMs that I have received so far. Here's more information to all the questions I have been asked:

-I live in Grayhawk, in North Scottsdale.
    -House was built in 1996.
    -Don't know if any neighbors are having the same problem, I haven't asked.
    -Room is part of the original house, not an addition.
    -I have hardwood floors, but donít notice any separation or cracks in the flooring.
    -I have vaulted ceilings and I do notice a very small crack forming at the peak of the ceiling that wasn't there when I painted the room a few years ago.
    -I donít notice any cracks in the drywall itself, just at the joint where the window is installed and it meets the windowsill.
    -No cracks on the exterior of the house.
    -The room has always seemed a little warmer than the rest of the house but it has definitely gotten worse.
    -House has North/South exposure and her bedroom is facing South.
    -I have desert landscape in the front and lawn w/ irrigation in the back. The room is in the front of the house.

Again, thanks for all the responses and PMs.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    A really cold room is a sign of ghostly activity per Ghosthunters.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!