Oracle ridge?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Oracle ridge?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Oracle ridge?

A week or so ago I attempted to do the Oracle ridge/AZ trail loop as described on SDMB web page. I parked at the AZ trailhead off of MT Lemmon acces road. I rode my bike up FR 639 until it seemed to me that it ended. At what I took to be the end of the trail there were two trail signs (the ones with the arrow and the seal not the sweet little metal ones with distance) on on my right as I came up to the section and one kind of to the left and straight ahead. The instructions on SDMB state that it will be obvious when you get to the cody trail intersection and to then head right. I did but the trail came to an abrubt end, I looked around the area but could not find where to pick the trail up, so I went back and tried the other fork, this one ran up another ridge alongside a fence alas this trail too seemed to peter out. What did I do wrong? is there still access to Cody trail/AZ trail off of FR 639? Sorry for the long post but I've walked up most of that section of AZ trail and badly want to fly DH on it.

Occidental Tourist
    Check out the map from the Soul Ride on epicrides.com. The course hits cody loop and you may be able to figure it out from there
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

mtbr member
    You did it all wrong...don't you know you are supposed to ride UP Oracle Control Road and pick up the Oracle Ridge Trail from the top? hehehehe....

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Checked out the map, I already have access to one which is similar so unfortunatley it did not help out too much....as far as going up the control road I felt that is what I did? now I'm more confused then ever

I bike, I brew
    The last time I did the route as described on the SDMB page, I too got "off track" (and I had been up there before). I believe much of that is due to the "changes" to the area after two summers of fires up there. Eventually, I did find my way - to which the connector to the Cody Trail is indeed obvious (you're on a clear ridge).

A suggestion to offer: Park at the AZ Trail parking area. Instead of then riding up the road to the Triangle Y Camp and FR 639, etc do the loop in reverse...(ie: counter-clockwise) ... Go *up* the Cody Trail to Oracle Ridge - the trail is very clear up to the top (just keep heading up). When you hit the top of the ridge, take a left (onto Oracle Ridge) - this will indeed be where you pick up the Soul Ride route... This will take you down eventually onto FR639. There are a couple of options that you can take, but I believe that all roads lead to the same place. Take your time and check your landmarks - you'll certainly have just as much fun coming down this way. Once you've seen how it goes from that direction, you can then do the loop clockwise.

It's a great area... enjoy!

Hank

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    good advice, I believe that is what I'll do.

Drugstore Trailrider

The FR639 has changed a bunch

Quote Originally Posted by wurensh
    The last time I did the route as described on the SDMB page, I too got "off track" (and I had been up there before). I believe much of that is due to the "changes" to the area after two summers of fires up there. Eventually, I did find my way - to which the connector to the Cody Trail is indeed obvious (you're on a clear ridge).

Hank
    In December I did the ride exactly as it is decribed and pictured with the red loop on the SDMB website: https://sdmb.org/images/map_oracle_ridge_cody_trail.jpg.

We turned off the the MLC road toward Bonito Camp (passing the YMCA Camp) but when we got down to where the FR639 goes up (left) out of a wash full of very large rocks and with big cottonwood trees, (this point is approx 1.7 miles from the turn-off from the MLC road) the changes from the fire and subsequent flood run-off made it very difficult to follow FR639. After two hours of back-tracking and going all the way down to Pepper Sauce Canyon, we came back to the spot I am mentioning, and found a way to navigate through it for several hundred yards before the FR begins to reconstitute itself and rises up the left side of the wash.

From there we drove another 1/2 mile perhaps to where the road ended at a fence with a crossing, and that trail headed fairly steeply up hill (in a westerly direction), up on to Oracle Ridge (near the word Prospects on the Topo Map). There were no dead-ends and the area was wide open so it was not difficult to follow once you got up out of the Bonito Creek Canyon.

I guess my point is that the trail is for sure open, and there is access from the east side, it just is not anywhere near as obvious as it was when the guides were written. Oh yeah, even in 4 inches of snow it was a very fun ride.

John W.
    Last edited by papajohn; 03-26-2004 at 08:50 AM. Reason: To add distance
    Body Armor--Don't Leave Home Without It!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironbar
    Checked out the map, I already have access to one which is similar so unfortunatley it did not help out too much....as far as going up the control road I felt that is what I did? now I'm more confused then ever

Didn't mean to confuse...I was trying to be a smart ass. A buddy and I did the ride p the back side on Mt. Lemmon and take Oracle Ridge trail last November. Holy crap was that a brutal ride.....over 5 hrs in the saddle.