OPEN INVITE: Queen's Ransom Bikepack - March 1 - 4- Mtbr.com
    DFL>DNF>DNS

OPEN INVITE: Queen's Ransom Bikepack - March 1 - 4

It's almost that time of year once again. RSVP here.

What: 4 day / 3 night 215 mile bikepacking loop with ~17k of elevation gain.
    When: Starts at 7:00a Friday March 1st, ending sometime around 3p-ish on Monday March 4th.
    Where: East Valley trail systems & beyond. (Hawes, Usery, Goldfields, Lost Dutchman, Gold Canyon, AZT: Picketpost to Kelvin, Area52 & San Tan Regional)
    Who: Anyone who can handle 60+ mile days, knows how to use a GPS and can be self-sufficient in the backcountry.

*This is NOT a group ride, this is a self-paced event, but we'll regroup at camp each night. Hopefully people will ride together in small groups, but don't be surprised if you end up solo.*

More details & map are on the Trailforks Events page.

GPX file can be downloaded here. (Scroll to the bottom, there's a button on the lower right)

What to bring? Water filter, some cash for entrance fees to the Regional parks ($2 ea.), plenty of food and a sense of adventure!!

This is not an easy ride. It's a fantastic shakedown ride for anyone lining up for the AZT300/750 in April. While much of the route traverses through popular system trails, you'll be doing long miles on a loaded bike.
    With that said, feel free to join for part of the route. Many riders over the years have joined us 'in progress' or had arrangements to get picked up early. There are many easy bailouts along the way except between Picketpost & Kelvin along the AZT. Kinda committed there.

I'll post up an active SPOTWalla page closer to the date & will be carrying my SPOT tracker so anyone wishing to meet up should be able to do so rather easily.

Here's the 2017 ride report for some context: Queen's Ransom '17

RSVP here & post up with any questions.

Plus, anyone who completes the full route gets a QR patch!!
    OPEN INVITE: Queen's Ransom Bikepack - March 1 - 4-qr_patch.jpg
    Last edited by schillingsworth; 02-06-2019 at 10:43 AM.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

mtbr member
    It is on my radar to do this year. So count me in. There is chance I might back out, but post this here you can give me crap if I change my mind.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    It is on my radar to do this year. So count me in. There is chance I might back out, but post this here you can give me crap if I change my mind.
    I intend on doing this.

Furthermore, I will beat Joe P to every night’s finish spot.
    So there’s your motivation. 😀

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    John:
    Thanks for organizing this bikepacking experience.
    Planning on it. Unless there's an age limit!
    Cheers.
    TS

mtbr member
    As usual, I am interested in joining the party for at least part of the route, we'll see if 2019 will be the year that I finally make it happen..

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'll be new to this route, but would love to join in the fun! Count me in. As of now, I have all 4 days available to ride.

Cheers,
    Mike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    I intend on doing this.

Furthermore, I will beat Joe P to every night’s finish spot.
    So there’s your motivation. 😀
    Did you get an e-bike?
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Did you get an e-bike?
    Ok, i'll give you that one.

FYI, ebikes not allowed on the AZT - so don't even.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by prezgonis View Post
    I'll be new to this route, but would love to join in the fun! Count me in. As of now, I have all 4 days available to ride.

Cheers,
    Mike
    Good meeting you today down at the Jamboree, Mike. Post up any questions you may have about the ride, others may have the same.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Death Mud
    Feb 2011
    I probably won't be able to try the full route, but hope to ride with you guys for part of the route...gotta represent for the Midwest again!

DFL>DNF>DNS
    *ATTN: Please fill out an RSVP form if you're planning to ride all or part of the route. Trying to get an accurate head count. Thanks.

QR RSVP
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Jeff you will be beating me to the finish spot everynight. I have decided I am going to miss this one. Just too much going on lately and I don't have my mind set around bikepacking now. I need to get a trip in, but I am just not there for this one.
    Joe

Jeff you will be beating me to the finish spot everynight. I have decided I am going to miss this one. Just too much going on lately and I don't have my mind set around bikepacking now. I need to get a trip in, but I am just not there for this one.
    yeah, too much going on, blah, blah, blah.

Sounds like you fear my speed.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    yeah, too much going on, blah, blah, blah.

Sounds like you fear my speed.
    Haha!! I think it's because it's only one big slow loop, not a bunch of short fast ones...
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    It's been three days and still no trip report. What gives? Wondering how the ride went, gents. And hoping to see some spring flower pics.
    Veni vidi velo!

don't have a write up, but got some pics. I'm sure John will write it up when he gets a chance.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156707...7707160817355/

It was a hella great weekend. Biggest group yet, with some riders from out of state. Not an easy 4 days, but really enjoyable.

Special thanks to Arunas and his wife for bringing bagels/cream cheese and coffee (plus special Lithuanian made treats) to picketpost and to Mrs. Schillingsworth for donuts, chips, margaritas, etc. near the top of the climb up Florence/Kelvin highway.

The best thing about this weekend is meeting and hanging out with some really cool folks.

Oh, and props to "little Nancy" for doing most of the route on a full rigid gravel grinder - complete with skinny-ish tires and drop bars. I can't even begin to imagine how much pain that involved.

mtbr member
    don't have a write up, but got some pics. I'm sure John will write it up when he gets a chance.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156707...7707160817355/

It was a hella great weekend. Biggest group yet, with some riders from out of state. Not an easy 4 days, but really enjoyable.

Special thanks to Arunas and his wife for bringing bagels/cream cheese and coffee (plus special Lithuanian made treats) to picketpost and to Mrs. Schillingsworth for donuts, chips, margaritas, etc. near the top of the climb up Florence/Kelvin highway.

The best thing about this weekend is meeting and hanging out with some really cool folks.

Oh, and props to "little Nancy" for doing most of the route on a full rigid gravel grinder - complete with skinny-ish tires and drop bars. I can't even begin to imagine how much pain that involved.
    Thanks for the pics! Looks like you all had a great time.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Nice pics, Jeff!

How comfortable was that sleeping roll? Looks marginally better than the car shade option. And did Arunas move over here now, or just visiting again?

Hopefully I can make it out for that again next year.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Nice pics, Jeff!

How comfortable was that sleeping roll? Looks marginally better than the car shade option. And did Arunas move over here now, or just visiting again?

Hopefully I can make it out for that again next year.
    well, the roll was quite light.
    Actually, it was fine except for my hip when on my side. I've since acquired a thermarest Z seat pad for that. The combination of the two should do the trick and still be relatively light, easy to carry, and (most importantly) won't deflate.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    I just started putting my recap together, hopefully it won't take too long. In the process of rounding up everyone's pics, etc.

I couldn't be more stoked on this year's ride. The group was huge as we had some 23 riders out on at least a portion of the route. 13 official finishers. I was really glad to ride any bit of the route this year after nearly fracturing my wrist (again) two weeks prior on a slick corner of sidewalk of all places. It held up enough for me to get out for a bit on each day and camp for two nights. 168 miles on a banged up wrist isn't too shabby. Day-by-day it's improving.

Here are a few pics:
    OPEN INVITE: Queen's Ransom Bikepack - March 1 - 4-img_20190301_173459_758.jpg
    Starting group.

OPEN INVITE: Queen's Ransom Bikepack - March 1 - 4-img_20190301_111324.jpg
    Twisted Sister trail in Hawes was primo!!

OPEN INVITE: Queen's Ransom Bikepack - March 1 - 4-img_20190303_150232.jpg
    Florence-Kelvin SAG stop shenanigans.

OPEN INVITE: Queen's Ransom Bikepack - March 1 - 4-img_20190303173710696.jpg
    The party continued at Camp 3 down by Area52.

OPEN INVITE: Queen's Ransom Bikepack - March 1 - 4-img_20190304_154945.jpg
    Finisher Group shot at Old Ellsworth Brewing Co. in the QC.
    Handed out patches/stickers to all who earned it.

OPEN INVITE: Queen's Ransom Bikepack - March 1 - 4-1584774_.png
    Mark your calendars: Feb. 28th - March 2nd, 2020.
    My Two Schillingsworth