Onewheel board use- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Onewheel board use

Was out at south mountain yesterday when about a dozen of the Onewheel boards came by me in a 5 minute span. I was surprised by how much dust those wide tires created. They also left a very distinct wide footprint behind. Looked like a giant rolling pin had rolled over the trail.

Has the city okayed the use of all electric powered boards in the parks? Or do they have to be electric assist only?

The really annoying part was the music thumping out of the backpacks.

Thoughts?
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    lighten up they were probably having fun?
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Interesting take on my post.

They probably were having fun.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    You asked for my thoughts ✌🏻
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Did you tell them to stay off your lawn?

mtbr member
    lighten up Francis....

Ahhh the pain....
    Holy crap you guys... OP is simply starting a discussion on what he saw and the only real opinion he shared was regarding the music (which I tend to agree). You all responded like he wanted them banned.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Holy crap you guys... OP is simply starting a discussion on what he saw and the only real opinion he shared was regarding the music (which I tend to agree). You all responded like he wanted them banned.
    really? That's not how I interpreted it, "I was surprised by how much dust those wide tires created. They also left a very distinct wide footprint behind. Looked like a giant rolling pin had rolled over the trail"

Sounds like he's whining about trail impact.... a one wheel is pretty similar to a 5" Bud/Lou combo. A onewheel may be 8" wide? Seems like he's posting here so other people validate his whining. "A giant rolling pin" is hilarious as they're lighter than a lot of bicycles...
    Denver, CO

Make AZ. Great Again, no whining about anything except maybe a stick in the derailleur.
    "These things are very fancy commuter bikes or really bad dirt bikes, but they are not mountain bikes." - J. Mac

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Humm....the one-wheel things weights far less than a bicycle. The footprint is wider, reducing the amount of force on the actual ground.

Seems to be far less destructive than a rider and ~11 friends could do to the trail network.

They should be banned and sent directly to e-bike only trails to play with their electric friends.

Meatbomb
    How long after a rain event should i wait to ride my one wheel?

IPA tester
    What tire work best for SoMo for a 1 wheel board? Asking for a friend...

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    i think OneWheels are super cool. Haven't seen one the trails and am surprised that they can climb.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they are banned, last trail head i was on had a no ebikes sign but is that really being enforced. one wheel market isn't that big to get a specific mention, might technically falls under ebikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    How much trail can you actually ride on one of those things? Kinda like those guys riding uni's on the trail. I'm not worried about them...

mtbr member
    I don't much care about the use of one wheel boards either, if they are legal for the trail, but the unofficial consensus among responders seems to be that it's OK to blast tunes on the trail. Do I have that right?
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    I don't much care about the use of one wheel boards either, if they are legal for the trail, but the unofficial consensus among responders seems to be that it's OK to blast tunes on the trail. Do I have that right?
    I don't think there's anything illegal about playing music on the trail? People may think your a douche but as far as I know it's not "illegal".
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Saw one of those things yesterday for the 1st time at a local trail here in SoCal. he was carrying what appeared to be a 4 foot broomstick which I guess is to push him along at time though I didn't see that occur. In my 3 second contact with the guy, I found something to dislike....the guy hit a rock as were getting ready to pass each other and he started to fall forward. As he did so, his stick swung up and around and missed my face by about 6 inches.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Saw one of those things yesterday for the 1st time at a local trail here in SoCal. he was carrying what appeared to be a 4 foot broomstick which I guess is to push him along at time though I didn't see that occur. In my 3 second contact with the guy, I found something to dislike....the guy hit a rock as were getting ready to pass each other and he started to fall forward. As he did so, his stick swung up and around and missed my face by about 6 inches.
    kinda like skiers in the winter with those pesky poles on the cat trail back to the lift.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    I don't think there's anything illegal about playing music on the trail? People may think your a douche but as far as I know it's not "illegal".
    Thanks Cp'n Obvious! The e-one wheel boards aren't illegal either in Phoenix parks, I gather. Fine with me if that's what the land manager/public wants.

The OP stated the loud music was the most annoying thing about his encounter. I would feel the same way. Yet almost no one here mentioned it. I'm wondering if the majority of the community thinks playing loud music on the trail is okay? Maybe it's an accepted part of the scene at South Mountain. Don't know, only ridden there once.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    I'm wondering if the majority of the community thinks playing loud music on the trail is okay? Maybe it's an accepted part of the scene at South Mountain. Don't know, only ridden there once.
    lol really?
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Probably knuckle draggers in the winter with their bluetooth sound cube (just discovered queen was a band) hanging off their backpack vaping in the lift line!

Get off my Lawn!!!