Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    How do I do that?
    Reputation: Tuff Gong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    561

    One Year Ago Today......

    ...I rode my brand new second hand mountain bike, my first, into the Phoenix Mountain Preserves for the very first time, thus beginning a newfound love for me. Although I think my riding skill's are still pretty lame, I've come a long way since that first ride.

    I decided to buy a mountain bike back then after a nerve racking month of tests after my primary care physician told me I might have a heart problem. Thankfully, I came through the tests at the cardiologist without any major concerns. I sure went through a lot of stress waiting for those tests results though! Having decided I needed to start exercising regularly and having always wanted to mountain bike but never picked it up when I lived in NYC, it was an easy decision......and honestly, absolutely one of the best decisions I think I've ever made.

    Slowly, my cardio got better and my riding skills got better but most of all, the fun just kept getting better. The proof is on my face as there's always a big fat smile plastered over it. Looking back, it amazes me how sections that I thought were impossible to ride, for me, is now done without a care in the world. Don't get me wrong, I've got a LOOONG way to go on both fitness and skill but it's nothing like it was a year ago.

    It wasn't always all smiles though. I've had some wipeouts that knocked the wind out of me for a few but they sure knocked the courage out of me for a lot longer....which, in all honesty, sucks as it's taking me some time to shake the fear out of me. Nevertheless, my confidence is slowly creeping back and the smiles are getting bigger, especially when I conquer another section that I've never been able to ride before.

    I just wanted to thank you all for sharing your knowledge and insight into this awesome sport. I've learned a lot from reading many of your posts in the last year and I thank you.

    I do have a question though....does this just keeping getting better and better or what? Whenever I'm headed out of the trail toward the end of my ride, I'm always recollecting and thinking, 'that was f'ing sweet!' Judging by the huge grin on my face during each of my rides, I have a good feeling it does

    -Chris

  2. #2
    Trail Monger
    Reputation: brilog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    204
    That's called "Trail stoke". I'm always stoked to find new trail. Brian

  3. #3
    Kathleen in AZ
    Reputation: DurtGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    5,179
    I've been at it since 1995. Sometimes I lose my way and then I find my center again on the bike. Congrats on finding your passion!

  4. #4
    I am Doctor Remulak
    Reputation: AZ Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,412
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Gong
    ...Nevertheless, my confidence is slowly creeping back and the smiles are getting bigger, especially when I conquer another section that I've never been able to ride before.

    I do have a question though....does this just keeping getting better and better or what? Whenever I'm headed out of the trail toward the end of my ride, I'm always recollecting and thinking, 'that was f'ing sweet!' Judging by the huge grin on my face during each of my rides, I have a good feeling it does

    -Chris
    I think everyone can relate to that feeling of conquering a section of trail or learning a new move. I've found that riding with friends who are better riders really helps me see the line or how to make it through a tough section.

    The answer to your question is YES, it does keep getting better.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KavuRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,745
    Right on.
    Keep exploring, lots of cool trails out there.

  6. #6
    My other ride is your mom
    Reputation: Maadjurguer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,251
    Yup....it keeps getting better. I recently reached my 2 year mark now and the folks I've been riding with who have been riding a lot longer than I......I can see their improvement over that time as much as I see improvement in myself. Great passion post.




  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: u2metoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,901
    Irie!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: supermoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    515
    Got my first mountain bike 24 years ago (trek 830) and I can't believe how old I am, but when I close my eyes at the end of the day, I think of railing singletrack, and landing smooth transitions. Its a lifelong affliction, I suppose, and I'm happy to suffer

  9. #9
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,990
    TG: We've seen you out there a couple times. When you decide to take the logical "next step" out at PMP, let me know. I imagine Drew and I will be out there on Friday.

  10. #10
    "No Clue Crew"
    Reputation: Grave9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,459
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    TG: We've seen you out there a couple times. When you decide to take the logical "next step" out at PMP, let me know. I imagine Drew and I will be out there on Friday.
    Let's see if we survive tomorrow but the plan is to ride Friday for sure!.......Drew

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sjreeves717's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    114
    Thanks for sharing. I too just came up on 1 year and know exactly how you feel. I went from being a zombie sitting in front of the tv all the time becoming a fat piece of crap to a bike junkie. When I'm not riding I am thinking or dreaming of riding.

  12. #12
    How do I do that?
    Reputation: Tuff Gong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    561
    "Trail Stoke" Haha, yes, indeed Brian

    Thanks DG, I'm pretty damn glad I did too!

    I hear you on the 'riding with friends who are better' tip Mikey(in my case, everybody). I had a big breakthrough a while back by just following another rider and it made and taught me to take lines and jumps I would have never even thought of attempting on my own

    Hey Eric, I finally got up that hill last week. I can't consistently climb it every time but I've actually managed several times. Nothing like getting it done the first time though I'l see you around man!

    Thanks Maad, I appreciate it. I had a strong feeling it'll get better

    U2, lol, glad some of you know what my silly handle is about cause believe me, I'm far from being "tuff"

    Super, at times I feel I'm a bit late to pick this hobby up at my age but it really does make me feel like a kid again...mentally at least Physically, not so much but the fun more than makes up for the pain

    Blatant & Drew, sounds like a logical plan . I will def slow you guys down with my week cardio and be an anchor at times but there's nothing like trying to follow some better riders down their lines Cheesegrater, irregular....yikes, I think it's time I get some 661's and dental insurance.....and some good hiking shoes I won't be able to make it on Friday but I would definitely love to tag along with you guys soon. Thanks man

  13. #13
    How do I do that?
    Reputation: Tuff Gong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    561
    Quote Originally Posted by sjreeves717
    Thanks for sharing. I too just came up on 1 year and know exactly how you feel. I went from being a zombie sitting in front of the tv all the time becoming a fat piece of crap to a bike junkie. When I'm not riding I am thinking or dreaming of riding.

    Yup, thats exactly how I was too. The fitness part is just an added benefit to the fun we're having

  14. #14
    "No Clue Crew"
    Reputation: Grave9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,459
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Gong
    "Trail Stoke" Haha, yes, indeed Brian

    Thanks DG, I'm pretty damn glad I did too!

    I hear you on the 'riding with friends who are better' tip Mikey(in my case, everybody). I had a big breakthrough a while back by just following another rider and it made and taught me to take lines and jumps I would have never even thought of attempting on my own

    Hey Eric, I finally got up that hill last week. I can't consistently climb it every time but I've actually managed several times. Nothing like getting it done the first time though I'l see you around man!

    Thanks Maad, I appreciate it. I had a strong feeling it'll get better

    U2, lol, glad some of you know what my silly handle is about cause believe me, I'm far from being "tuff"

    Super, at times I feel I'm a bit late to pick this hobby up at my age but it really does make me feel like a kid again...mentally at least Physically, not so much but the fun more than makes up for the pain

    Blatant & Drew, sounds like a logical plan . I will def slow you guys down with my week cardio and be an anchor at times but there's nothing like trying to follow some better riders down their lines Cheesegrater, irregular....yikes, I think it's time I get some 661's and dental insurance.....and some good hiking shoes I won't be able to make it on Friday but I would definitely love to tag along with you guys soon. Thanks man
    Have you seen us ride??? You're welcome to ride with us anytime!.............Drew

  15. #15
    Thread Killer
    Reputation: Hardluckhero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    132
    I just started a few weeks ago, thanks for the inspiration/ motivation
    Tuff Gong & sjreeves717.

  16. #16
    Trail Monger
    Reputation: brilog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    204
    I got some "trail stoke" on Sat out at Pass Mtn. We rode the loop CCW. That place is pretty fun and kinda loose near the edges. What a hoot!

  17. #17
    livin' the dream......
    Reputation: tjkm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,825
    Tuff Gong--I remember running into you last year out at PMP and you had JUST started riding. You've got a solid year under your belt and I'm glad you love this sport as much as we all do!

    Enjoy!

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.