One day of riding in Flagstaff....where should it be?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

One day of riding in Flagstaff....where should it be?

Hey Flag riders, I'm coming into town next week from Utah for a conference, and have Monday Oct 24 set aside to ride. Not going to ship my bike, so will be renting a Pivot Firebird for the day. So, if I have one day and a capable bike, where would you recommend riding? One caveat....no car, so I'm either pedaling from town or if someone is interested in heading out for the day I'd be excited to join in. Suppose the second caveat is I should return the bike in a decent condition, but that being said I'd be comfortable riding just about anything, and wouldn't mind checking out some trails more on the freeride/DH end of the spectrum if they're accessible.

Appreciate any info and suggestions! Looking forward to spending a few days down there....

mtbr member
    Awesome! Thanks! I'll be the guy at the brewpub with the rented Firebird parked outside!

Meatbomb

mtbr member
    Are you attending the 11th Biennial Conference of Research on the Colorado Plateau?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Best ride in my opinion is getting a lift to the top, ride down Sunset to Wasabi, climb back up the road to Red Onion then up Sunset to U Brookbank, drop into Prom Night then hab up to the Dry Lakes, hit up a steep Jedi trail at the end of the DL and then up Shultz to Lil Gnarly back to the Dry Lakes and then finish up with a Ginger. It's a long ride with lots of steep and nasty, give your self 4-5 hours. I would show you around but I'll be out of town on Monday, good luck.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Are you attending the 11th Biennial Conference of Research on the Colorado Plateau?
    i thought you were making that up until i just decided to google it on a whim.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Hell yeah, I'm usually talking to myself, especially at home.

I figured there was easily accessible info, but I'm generally lazy and like to have info handed to me.

I suppose I'd also say I was wondering if there was anyone heading out for a ride on Monday....always enjoy riding with new folks.

Yes on the conference, for whatever it's worth.......

Thanks raisingarizona for the recommendation.....recognize a few of those trail names from the minimal research I've done!

Always up for a beer too! (conferences can be lonely)

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor Lord of Thunder View Post

I figured there was easily accessible info, but I'm generally lazy and like to have info handed to me.

I suppose I'd also say I was wondering if there was anyone heading out for a ride on Monday....always enjoy riding with new folks.

Thanks raisingarizona for the recommendation.....recognize a few of those trail names from the minimal research I've done!

Lord:

If you don't get anyone to show you the great trail system in Flag. I would love to give you a personal tour of some of Sedona's premiere trails. If Chalkpaw gets back from vacationing he might help out with the Flag stuff.

TD

TD

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Where are you renting from? They should be able to help you out, you can easily ride to the schultz creek trailhead from downtown, just head out on 180 towards snowbowl and turn right on schultz pass road. Take a left when the road forks and ride the road til it turns to dirt and keep an eye out for signs. Ride up schultz creek and sunset, choose your way down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    Best ride in my opinion is getting a lift to the top, ride down Sunset to Wasabi, climb back up the road to Red Onion then up Sunset to U Brookbank, drop into Prom Night then hab up to the Dry Lakes, hit up a steep Jedi trail at the end of the DL and then up Shultz to Lil Gnarly back to the Dry Lakes and then finish up with a Ginger. It's a long ride with lots of steep and nasty, give your self 4-5 hours. I would show you around but I'll be out of town on Monday, good luck.
    Dang, that's a stout line! Eat your Wheaties, get on your A-game, that's what I'm talking about kind of day. RA, are you getting in shape for something?
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

mtbr member

I'll be there for the Tues Grand Canyon session. Great meeting in a nice venue and not far from a plethora of places to whet your whistle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    I'll be there for the Tues Grand Canyon session. Great meeting in a nice venue and not far from a plethora of places to whet your whistle.
    It is definitely my favorite conference to attend....great group of people in a very cool town. Rather than worrying about a day of biking, though, maybe I should be polishing up my own presentation....

Naa, that's just crazy talk.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalkpaw View Post
    Dang, that's a stout line! Eat your Wheaties, get on your A-game, that's what I'm talking about kind of day. RA, are you getting in shape for something?
    No not really, this ride right now would wipe me out but I can pull it off just very slowly on the uphills. A shuttle to start helps a lot.

I'm hoping to get in shape this winter though, I'll have much more time in another week so lots of riding and skiing coming up for me!

mtbr member
    It is definitely my favorite conference to attend....great group of people in a very cool town. Rather than worrying about a day of biking, though, maybe I should be polishing up my own presentation....

Naa, that's just crazy talk.
    Wing it with a hangover. Always a crowd pleaser.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    i thought you were making that up until i just decided to google it on a whim.
    Rockman takes his science seriously,,,,,,,,,,,,,and his bike habit.