Okay, I Have to Know- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Okay, I Have to Know

How many of you have broken down and turned the heat on? I'm sitting here in a house that is 67 degrees, and am doing my damdest to not bump that baby up. (Yea, yea, I know, 67 is consider Summer weather for you non Zonies. But give me a break, I have thin blood.)

I usually look forwared to taking a nice hot shower to warm, but couldn't this a.m., as I was greeted yesterday with a garage full of water after our hot water heater sprung a leak
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

sixsixtysix
    No heat here yet, this is the perfect weather for me. It is like spring for us Midwesterners...

I am Doctor Remulak
    We turned it on to make sure it will work when we need it and then turned it off.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Mikey
    We turned it on to make sure it will work when we need it and then turned it off.
    Ah, I need to use this excuse. "But I need to make sure it will stay 85 for an extended period of time."

Bring the ruckus
    Heat? I didn't even know I had a heater untill this post. You could just leave the blinds open durring the day and close them when you get home to trap the heat in. That way your electic or gas bill isn't bigger. Or just enjoy the weather cause it will be 100+ again before you know it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stiffler
    Heat? I didn't even know I had a heater untill this post. You could just leave the blinds open durring the day and close them when you get home to trap the heat in. That way your electic or gas bill isn't bigger. Or just enjoy the weather cause it will be 100+ again before you know it.
    Unfortunately, I work from home.

I leave the shades up pretty much all the time (I hate a dark house), but the house right now gets very little sun in the a.m. as the back patio faces north, so we don't get any direct sunlight through our picture window in the front room until around noon.

Oh, and I'll take 100+ days over 67 days any day of the week

Ouch, I am hot!

Batlles

My wife and I battle over the heat each year. She seems to forget that she has 2,000 sweaters to put on when she is cold. She also fears our kids will literally freeze to death during the night. As such, our heat is set at 70 at night.

I hate the heater on because it bothers my nose and anyone familiar with my neighborhood or similar ones knows that the heater/air conditioner and/or vents sound like a train when operating.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Bring the ruckus
    Well it sounds like your home is set up for an energy efficient summer " so maybe the extra dough in the winter aka "mild summer" wont be so bad. Another good trick is running your dryer before bed or in the early morning "utilities are usualy cheaper then anyway" to help warm things up, but that only works if your dryer is inside. Other then that just bundle up and put those christmass sweaters from the grandparents to good use.

I am Walt
    Not yet...even keep the windows open at night still...

Air filters have been changed and are ready for the furnace to fire up, though.

Don't forget to change those filters!
    Ride more; post less...

i like cheese.
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    Not yet...even keep the windows open at night still...
    me too... but it was 61 in the bedroom this morning. That is pushing it... might have to fire it up.

mtbr member
    I have.
    It was 60 degrees this morning in my house - I don't think so. I heat the house up to 70, then kill the heat.

AZ has turned me into a wimp for cold weather. I'd never survive back in my hometown (VT).

Wait, what!?
    Put a fire place in. Find a way to get around the gas only law or whatever and get yourself a wood burner!! I stoke mine up every night right around dinner and throw a few logs on throughout the rest of the evening. Nice and warm, and it gives the house a nice "homey" feel to it. That is in Phoenix of course, up in Flag I still have the windows cracked.

wrecking crew
    Our house stays warm enough in the winter to forego the heater. I think we used ours maybe once in the last 3 years since we moved to this house. And it was that cold spell we had last spring where temps were below freezing. We only used it for that week and then turned it back off.
    ~~~

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduroblood
    Put a fire place in. Find a way to get around the gas only law or whatever and get yourself a wood burner!! I stoke mine up every night right around dinner and throw a few logs on throughout the rest of the evening. Nice and warm, and it gives the house a nice "homey" feel to it. That is in Phoenix of course, up in Flag I still have the windows cracked.
    We actually have a gas fireplace. The only problem with gas is, it does not give off as much heat as a wood burning fireplace.

mtbr member
    finally turned it on saturday night and it kicked on sunday morning. unfortunately it has a bad connector so the heat doesn't always light up. blowing cooold air at 5am sunday morning had me on the roof getting it to fire up. i'll probably need to get that fixed pretty soon.

of course my son wanted to know why the house was so hot - i'm freezing and he's still sleeping with his ceiling fan on.

im4Gsus
    i hardly ever turn the heat on, mainly because i hate the dry, hot air. three of my windows remain cracked ~4 inches during the winter and i LOVE it cold. how cold? this is a pic of my thermostat from last february. yes, i did close the windows and fired the blasted furnace until the temp came up to a comfy 62F.

no, i didn't grow up in maine, believe it or not it was in balmy puerto rico!!

ms k
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

In the rear with the beer
    Turned it on Saturday night...but only to thaw myself out after riding all day in the rain/wind for the Dawn to Dusk.
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have a six year old, so I have been running it at 73 over night and nothing in the morning. He got sick and I think it was just too cold for him at night. So I caved and he is doing good now.

mtbr member
    The heat has been on for a few weeks and it comes on when required to keep it 65 at night and 72 during the day. When I first moved here I did not require heat in the winter but now I'm one of those who freeze at 70 degrees. I guess it is from riding between 10am and 1pm all summer long!

All That is Man
    I like it freezing in the house then I just wear a sweatshirt around. My girlfriend will turn the heat on before going to bed, it's horrible.
    John

Pivotal figure
    Not yet, just wear sweats and use that hottub as much as I can stand.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

wretch
    Ive seen people break out the scarves its crazy. It got a bit chilly over the last few days, but nothing to bad. We are moving back to Tahoe in a few weeks, so Ive been sending the girlfriend outside in the AM in shorts and t-shirt with the dog to "climatize". Me. . . perfect weather, nothing better. . . jeans and a t-shirt. Im saving the pennies for the heating bill at our place in Tahoe. . .that or saving up for a wood burning stove. Doesnt get better than that. Screw technology (except for the latest advancements in MTB tech)

"Yabut"
    YES!! YES!! I turned it on!!! I'm weak and a weenie. My excuse is, I live in Tucson. It's soooooo much colder here than in Phoenix.
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

Elitest thrill junkie
    I usually open my window at night so that my room gets close to the outside temperature. I can't sleep if it's hot. I really can't imagine sleeping when it's 70 degrees, you don't need anything more than a light sheet, and if you've got any kind of night-clothes on, I just can't see how you can get comfortable that way. I may have spent too many nights out in the cold desert in NM and CA (and other places) when I was in the Army, but I can't imagine sleeping any better than when I was wrapped up in my gore-tex winter-sleeping bag and it was super cold outside.

I try to keep the heat at 65 max during the winter, as others have said, socks and a sweater are far cheaper than paying for all that extra heat during the winter.

When I think I'm cold, I think of that Navy Seals show and times I spent out in the "field". After that I don't feel very cold.

I see a lot of people that overdress for rides. I can't imagine wearing pants when it's 50 degrees out or more, but I see plenty of people doing so. Even when it's colder than that I am fine with thicker socks, the pants are reserved for days when it's going to be near or below freezing for extended periods of time. I see the same thing when I go running. It seems that a lot of people don't count on how much heat they are going to generate when they start exercising. That's not to say you shouldn't have more clothes though, if you got stuck in the elements you'd be screwed without enough clothes, so on the colder days that's usually what's in my pack.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Just Joshin' ya!
    I leave the thermostat at 67 but it rarely ever kicks on. My GF complains that it is too cold sometimes but I just give her a down blanket. It is cheaper than heat. Also, I run a humidifier, especially in the winter, because it gets so dry. For all of you who are having dried out sinuses, go get one at Target for 12 bucks. It is so worth it.
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

Wait, what!?
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    We actually have a gas fireplace. The only problem with gas is, it does not give off as much heat as a wood burning fireplace.
    I agree, that is why I only use wood. Warms that joint up in a hurry!!

mtbr member
    We have ours on auto at 71. During the day the sun keeps it nice and toasty and it never turns on. It only turns on maybe once or twice throughout the night. We also signed up for TEP's (Tucson Electric Power) "Time of Day" program where we get a reduced rate if we use most of our electricity on non-peak hours. Non peak hours change depending on the season of course. So we end up doing laundry at 9pm at night, etc.

So far so good... our electric bill last month was $40.
    Graeme Hunt Design - www.graemehuntdesign.com

Meatbomb
    Turn on the heat I haven't even put on long pants yet

wretch
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    Turn on the heat I haven't even put on long pants yet
    Im with you on that one, windows wide open, nice cold air. . . perfect.

mtbr member
    My AC has actually kicked on a few times in the past couple of days

mtbr member
    I have a wife... I now have heat. (Oh goodie) (about the heat part)
    Fear can be your greatest ally or your biggest nemesis.

Crash = Try

rage

Fragile - must be Italian
    Wow Jeff...I thought you remodeled your house. (??) Didn't you upgrade the windows and insulation? 67 seems a bit chilly.

I haven't turned on the heat yet because my house has not dipped below 72. I usually set it at 65 at night...68 in the AM. But ever since moving into my current house (which was rebuilt from the ground up, so I have good insulation and windows), I rarely use the heat. My last house, which had original 1976 windows and insulation (if you can call it that), saw a fair amount of heat use.

I also work from home and like it when the house is anywhere between 66 and 70. At that temperature I can get away with working in shorts and a sweatshirt.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    Wow Jeff...I thought you remodeled your house. (??) Didn't you upgrade the windows and insulation? 67 seems a bit chilly.
    Yea, we did, and just put a new roof on as well. I though it seemed kind of cold, but then again, it was cold last weekend. It got up to 74 this week.

I think the problem is the layout and location of the house. It faces south, so right now, the north end of the house gets little if any direct sun (my office is very, very cold, so I've been working in the kitchen).

Fragile - must be Italian
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Yea, we did, and just put a new roof on as well. I though it seemed kind of cold, but then again, it was cold last weekend. It got up to 74 this week.

I think the problem is the layout and location of the house. It faces south, so right now, the north end of the house gets little if any direct sun (my office is very, very cold, so I've been working in the kitchen).
    Something is still not right. Sounds like you still are affected by drafts. Did you add more isulation to the attic? And walls too?

My previous 1976 house was always a little drafty and cold in the winter. The roof was well insulated, but it had old leaky windows, and the lack of insulation in the walls only added to the problem. The exposure was north/south and the north side was definitely a little cooler.

The new (reconstructed 1971) house has Low-E dual pane windows, R-13 in the walls (plus 1" foam on the outside plus the 8" cinder block so the walls are about 12" thick!!), and R-40 in the ceiling (plus the added R-factor of the foam roof). My house also has a north/south exposure. There are no hot/cold spots anywhere in this house...unlike my last house.

If you can't get ride of the drafty cold spots, you can always chalk it up to "character" in the house. That's what I did in the old house.

Thx...Doug

livin' the dream......
    Turned it on for the 1st time tonight, just to get the chill out of the air (at the wife's request). Normally don't run it if I can avoid it.

Dave

Back in VT

Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    I have.
    It was 60 degrees this morning in my house - I don't think so. I heat the house up to 70, then kill the heat.

AZ has turned me into a wimp for cold weather. I'd never survive back in my hometown (VT).
    I know what you mean I'm from MA. Haven't been home for 4 years. We do go up to flag thuogh to ski 2 - 3 times a year. Do you not ski?
    Heat is off now lowest house got was 66. No sweaters yet just long sleeve T's.

Meatbomb
    Lowest so far has been 70* in mi casa... Shorts and a tee shirt as I type.

Members who have read this thread: 0