oh, deer!- Mtbr.com

Thread: oh, deer!

im4Gsus

oh, deer!

yesterday 12/6, a friend and i went to usery park for my first ride since my crash on thanksgiving morning which left me with a bad concussion and several cuts and bruises. those are slowly disappearing but the concussion left me loopy till this wednesday. i was so dazzed and disoriented that i did go to the doctor the following monday. he did a craneal exam and then sent me for an MRI but everything was ok - no swelling, no bleeding.

riding with a bruised brain was a challenge at first, i had to concentrate hard to handle the bike but after ~45 minutes i was ok and had a great time. i chose usery for my first ride because even though it's rocky, the lower trails are flat as a pancake. after a long warmup we rode around cat's peak twice, in both directions. it was a great ride and the best part, besides no crashes or mechanicals, was coming across FOUR deer as they crossed the trail in front of me. they hopped over some bushes and stopped to look at us, just long enough for me to get one pic - what a treat!

it looks like i'm gonna be ok and will resume posting c-rides next saturday 12-15.

stay tunned!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

Kathleen in AZ
    Glad to hear you are doing ok. What a treat to see those big-ear dear in the park!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    We are always running across deer at Usery on our rides. Generally see them on or around the Noso trail and the Pass Mountain trail.

dirt visionary
    We saw a nice large 3point over by the nra pit today. They must be hanging around .

caninus xerophilous
    Given all the man love, homeless, naked guy, BMX bandito, and trail fairy sightings, its nice to see there is some real wildlife up there in PHX.

lurker extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by SunDog
    Given all the man love, homeless, naked guy, BMX bandito, and trail fairy sightings, its nice to see there is some real wildlife up there in PHX.
    I don't know. All of that other stuff you mentioned is pretty wild.

It rains here. :(
    Glad to hear you are doing well and the nugget checks out ok. I've been out of town and busy with home stuff. I'm going back out of town next week but I should be back for a ride next Saturday. I too have seen deer in the desert but out at W. Tanks and on some trails near my house at the New River Dam...which FWIW, has quite a bit of water behind it right now.
    07 GF Rig

Wait, what!?
    Sweet meat, if you know what I mean....

Too many Sedonuts...
    Saw a herd of 10-12 mule deer on the fairway of the 4th hole at Gold Canyon last week. They didn't even move when we came within 10 feet. I wondered if they ever got hit by golf balls.
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

im4Gsus
    Quote Originally Posted by CactusJoe
    Saw a herd of 10-12 mule deer on the fairway of the 4th hole at Gold Canyon last week. They didn't even move when we came within 10 feet. I wondered if they ever got hit by golf balls.
    what? and you didn't have a camera with you to snap a pic?

i guess wild life gets used to us humans when they come that close to our environment. at usery though, they're still very skiddish. i had seen a big one last year on noso. he had big antlers and was alone.

everyone must breathe
    wow, Kaboose, must have been quite a wreck on Thanksgiving! I'm glad you're ok. you're one tough cookie!

tg
    mtbr member
    Saw this bad boy in my scope last fall next to one of my favorite trails here in Co. Shot him and was on my Turner the next day. Good meat for on old bull.
    Last edited by tg; 12-10-2007 at 09:45 AM.

im4Gsus
    Quote Originally Posted by curtissg
    wow, Kaboose, must have been quite a wreck on Thanksgiving! I'm glad you're ok. you're one tough cookie!
    hi steve!
    yes, it was a bad one but thankfully i'm better now and ready to ride some more once the weather permits it.

would you be willing to show me the wind dixie - whip coach - windgate loop sometime? i'd like to check it out first before posting a c-ride there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    TG---Wow look at you. It takes quite a man kill an elk with a high power rifle. Let me guess, you have a "I support Bush" sticker on your car. Go post lame pictures of your dead animals in a different forum.

I appreciate the thread starterís appreciation of living animals.

tg
    mtbr member
    I was hoping this might get some of you non meat eaters to respond ( ie. cry ) Elk make the best trails and taste great ever eat elk ? The riding in my hood is world class and so is the HUNTING!
    Last edited by tg; 12-13-2007 at 02:58 PM.

President Skroob
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tg
    I was hoping this might get some of you non meat eaters to respond ( ie. cry ) Elk make the best trail and taste great ever eat elk ? The riding in my hood is worlk class and so is the HUNTING!
    Better photos, I agree somewhat with the poster above. I could have easily survived the day without looking at your "kill". This is a mountain biking forum not a hunting forum. I know we get off topic sometimes but that was a little bit out of control.

mtbr member

Disgusting!

Saw this bad boy in my scope last fall next to one of my favorite trails here in Co. Shot him and was on my Turner the next day. Good meat for on old bull.

While, you may be proud of yourself & feel the need to boost, others find pictures of dead animals offensive. If you want some meat, go to the grocery store!

tg
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cdahl
    While, you may be proud of yourself & feel the need to boost, others find pictures of dead animals offensive. If you want some meat, go to the grocery store!
    Wow ! I P.S. the meat you eat had to die . Thought you should know.

mtbr member
    Yes, I know and because meat is readily available at the store there is no need to go out & kill for it.

There was no need for that picture to be posted here. This started as a nice thread with a local sighting of beautiful live animals then you hijacked it.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I am a hunter & a rider. Everything has its place. This aint really the forum for hunting. Glad to hear you are doin' alright Kaboose after your tumble.
    Mech13

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mech13
    I am a hunter & a rider. Everything has its place. This aint really the forum for hunting. Glad to hear you are doin' alright Kaboose after your tumble.

Thank you.

rockcrusher
    Yes, I know and because meat is readily available at the store there is no need to go out & kill for it.
    Actually, there is. Not sure about elk but of the top 10 causes of death for whitetail deer, hunting ranks at number 7. The number 1 and 2 reasons are disease and starvation due to urban sprawl. For 150 years man has been eliminating the deers natural predators, because of this it has now become our responsibility to manage the deer population. Wanna see scary sh!@? look up chronic wasting disease or epizootic hemorrhagic disease. Really nasty stuff. I'd much rather see a deer take a bullet or arrow by an experienced hunter vs. rotting away from disease and starvation. Was this the appropriate place to post that pic? probably not. But let's step off the anti-hunting soap box.

Sorry for the hijack kaboose.

banned
    That's a nice looking bull tg

Wish I could get drawn for a bull hunt

Don't listen to all the cry babies!

Whether it's dead, or alive, it's still nice to look at.

mtbr member
    He posts a picture like that here and I'm going to step up on that anti-hunting soap box! It was right in my face!

I won't change hunter's minds & they won't change mine. It's a free country & hunting is not against the law. I can live with that...to each is own. By the same token, I would never go onto a hunters forum & shove my opinion on them and that's what that picture was. Besides the fact, the guy doesn't not even live in AZ nor has he ever posted here before.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cdahl
    He posts a picture like that here and I'm going to step up on that anti-hunting soap box! It was right in my face!

I won't change hunter's minds & they won't change mine. It's a free country & hunting is not against the law. I can live with that...to each is own. By the same token, I would never go onto a hunters forum & shove my opinion on them and that's what that picture was. Besides the fact, the guy doesn't not even live in AZ nor has he ever posted here before.

It's not a thing to argue about(that's in another forum). I don't think tg meant to offend anyone. But maybe he did, if so, I don't know what to tell ya.

Like you said, it's a free country. You didn't have to reply to his post, or mine. But you did.

It was just a picture. Hunting like riding, is an outdoors type thing.

Edit: I take that back. After reading his second post, I did see he meant to offend you.

I was hoping this might get some of you non meat eaters to respond ( ie. cry ) Elk make the best trails and taste great ever eat elk ? The riding in my hood is world class and so is the HUNTING!
    Not a cool thing to do. I shouldn't have even tried to defend him.
    Last edited by GETSTUPID; 12-13-2007 at 09:30 PM.

just 1 more
    Quote Originally Posted by GETSTUPID

It was just a picture. No blood or anything.

Look again, that ain't grape juice. That pic doesn't belong here.

BTW, elk really is excellent meat.
    bikes, guns, dogs....perfect

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by azjeff
    Look again, that ain't grape juice. That pic doesn't belong here.

BTW, elk really is excellent meat.
    Yeah, I noticed the ground afterwards.

I take back trying to stick up for him after reading the second post.

Yes, elk is excellent meat!

tg
    mtbr member
    I did not want to piss anyone off just wanted to share some off bike stoke. This is how I feed my family fat free healthy meat very unlike what you get at the store. I love to ride and I love to hunt( for food ) so am I bad? ELK meat is the best fuel I know for those 5 hour rides in CO. AND AZ. p.s I was born in AZ. and ride there every year at Christmas Try and remember elk and deer is food and I respect any and all creatures on this planet. The below pics might ease the trama .
    Last edited by tg; 12-14-2007 at 10:39 AM.

just 1 more
    Na, you're not bad, maybe just a lapse of judgment. A pic of packaged meat labelled Elk might have gone over better. I'd be trying to put some elk in the freezer too but the hunting regs here are so ridiculous compared to Pa I won't bother. Bikes & guns, nothing better

(Sorry for the hijack kaboose), it's great to see any wildlife
    Last edited by azjeff; 12-14-2007 at 01:35 PM.
    bikes, guns, dogs....perfect

tg
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azjeff
    Na, you're not bad, maybe just a lapse of judgment. A pic of packaged meat labelled Elk might have gone over better. I'd be trying to put some elk in the freezer too but the hunting regs here are so ridiculous compared to Pa I won't bother. Bikes & guns, nothing better
    WORD!

mtbr member
    I'm offended by the pictures of a guy in lycra. Only hot girls belong in lycra.

*goes off to find the moots girl and Niki Gudex pictures*

Elk is awesome meat. I tried bow hunting for them for a couple of years. I never even had a shot at one. I did have a close encounter with a mountain lion though. I think I'll stick to hunting with film and CCD's (and carrying at least a .45 for any more close encounters). If anybody's having an elk barbecue though, lemme know!

Members who have read this thread: 0