Fly High!

OFFICIAL SUNRISE OPENS TOMMOROW JUNE 5th

Thats right hate it or Love It!!!!!!!

of course not all trails are open but they will be open FOR MOUNTAIN BIKES!!!
    "Its like Church to me, Like Church is, what it is for other people"

******ed or Branded??
    yay!!! trials that can't be ridden will be available by lift service!!! Can't wait!!!!

Anyone wants to carpool tomorrow want to leave at 6am!!!!

Hey Ginger boy I'll make sure I bring ginger bread ice cream if you carpool with me!!!
    .Hoog just texted me and said it's "Surface area to G2 tangential force vector ratio optimization. "

mtbr member

P-top shop

I am talking with one of their trail guys at the resort late this afternoon (he is out on the trails as we speak, clearing trails), I will let you all know which trails are open as soon as I know.

d
    trying to get it all done...in one life

mtbr member
    Will chutes and cornchips be open?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tmarkos
    Will chutes and cornchips be open?
    I dunno but I heard there is talk of making a new yard sale...

!@#$%&!
    Is it expensive/worth it? Sounds fun but I've never been.

mtbr member
    Will the burrito stand be open? That and a beer in the parking lot are worth the drive.
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoyR6
    Will the burrito stand be open? That and a beer in the parking lot are worth the drive.
    hell yeah those burritos are the best! The drive for me is about 20-30 minutes

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Didn't have plans for the weekend ... might have to make the trek!

mtbr member
    Okay...

Just talked to the trail guy at sunrise...they are making modifications to some trails to accommodate us, a step in the right direction perhaps?

Its like this:

Fungus to cartoon forest is good to go
    Lower section of Loopy is good to go
    There are equivalent sections of Blue and Double black diamond trails (lower loopy and ?)
    They have opened the back section of the mountain temporarily for us to ride.

All in all I would say we are on for a decent day of riding.

At this point the trails have not all been walked so realistically they could discover two trees down etc. cut them and be good to go. But we definitely know they are open and there are trails and to me that is all that matters.

Lets ride!

Swamp Thaang Groupie
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag911
    Okay...

Just talked to the trail guy at sunrise...they are making modifications to some trails to accommodate us, a step in the right direction perhaps?

Its like this:

Fungus to cartoon forest is good to go
    Lower section of Loopy is good to go
    There are equivalent sections of Blue and Double black diamond trails (lower loopy and ?)
    They have opened the back section of the mountain temporarily for us to ride.

All in all I would say we are on for a decent day of riding.

At this point the trails have not all been walked so realistically they could discover two trees down etc. cut them and be good to go. But we definitely know they are open and there are trails and to me that is all that matters.

Lets ride!
    Loopy? Is this a new trail? Or what was it called before?

mtbr member
    Good to hear! Whats the back of the mountain? sticks n stone and the road?
    SHITBIRD

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Looks like Mullet Rob and myself will be leaving from near downtown PHX early Sunday AM for one day of riding. Taking my Tacoma... room for perhaps one more if you know how to drive stick!

Maui Grown
    Quote Originally Posted by benk0
    Taking my Tacoma... room for perhaps one more if you know how to drive stick!
    Drive stick.... what is that? They still make those?

Downhill Spokesmodel
    Quote Originally Posted by Poi Boy
    Drive stick.... what is that??
    Obviously it is some kind of gay reference.
    The festival must be this weekend.
    Now I DRIVE the short bus!!

Help increase ShortBus' rep

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    James! You want to roll on Sunday? Hit me up if you'd like to join in on the festival.

mtbr member
    loopy is the name of the ski run it's the trail that runs right under the lift. and by the back of the mountain i think thier talkin about trails that people dont usually ride on but thier openin it so theres some other stuff 2 ride since all the trails aren't open.

Downhill Spokesmodel
    James! You want to roll on Sunday? Hit me up if you'd like to join in on the festival.
    Wish I could. You know I can handle a stick.
    Gotta work this weekend.
    Maybe next weekend, if you go then.
    Have fun at the festival and don't forget the LUBE!
    Now I DRIVE the short bus!!

Help increase ShortBus' rep

ride more, blog less

Cabin

a couple buddies and i are going to try and get a cabin tomorrow night somewhere up there... if anyone wants to bunk for the one night to save on cash just let me know
    i like these odds....

mtbr member
    yep, again.....

https://www.tryshakeweight.com/flare/next?tag=si|sm|go|tm

Swamp Thaang Groupie
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokenspokesSteve-o
    yep, again.....

https://www.tryshakeweight.com/flare/next?tag=si|sm|go|tm
    You can never get enough Dynamic Inertia in your day. Looks like a great tool to keep that wrist strength up.

mtbr member
    out of curiosity, how are the rentals there?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOWLOW SAM
    loopy is the name of the ski run it's the trail that runs right under the lift. and by the back of the mountain i think thier talkin about trails that people dont usually ride on but thier openin it so theres some other stuff 2 ride since all the trails aren't open.
    yes that is exactly what is happening, but it is only temporary until the rest of the trails are open so come get some of the stuff you never got before!

We are camping Sat night for some all day DH on Sunday-come join the crowd!

ride more, blog less
    a buddy and i are headed up tonight if anyone wants to join... camping out somewhere close by.. pm me if want to meet up!
    i like these odds....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DankyCass
    out of curiosity, how are the rentals there?
    pretty swell...kona stab deluxe, giant reign, kona stinky...etc.

mtbr member
    I can leave tomorrow morning at around 530 or 6 and be in showlow at 8... be back in the valley at around 730 or 8. I can fit 3 or 4 more people including myself plus bikes if anyone wants to join.

mtbr member
    Loopy is Lupe which is the run that follows straight down the main lift line on Sunrise mountain.

By backside, do you mean going down off lift one towards the Sidewinder/Evergreen trails? I've never biked up there so I'm not familiar with the mountain in the summer (only ski season).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECEGatorTuro
    Loopy is Lupe which is the run that follows straight down the main lift line on Sunrise mountain.

By backside, do you mean going down off lift one towards the Sidewinder/Evergreen trails? I've never biked up there so I'm not familiar with the mountain in the summer (only ski season).
    I only know that they do not normally allow riders on the back side (correct me if I am wrong anyone...) since people would supposedly get lost or in parts of the res they should not be, but as I understand it, that back side is pretty sweet riding.

mtbr member
    I only know that they do not normally allow riders on the back side (correct me if I am wrong anyone...) since people would supposedly get lost or in parts of the res they should not be, but as I understand it, that back side is pretty sweet riding.
    Well, maybe we have differing ideas on what the backside is but in ski season if you go off of lift 1 straight south into Sidewinder/Evergreen, there is a roped off run on the left which will take you all the way to Greer if you're not paying attention.

I'm guessing that by backside they mean letting riders down the Evergreen/Sidewinder runs which will wrap you all the way back to Sunrise base if you don't deviate from the trail too much.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Yeah thats what was open today coming off of the full lift (#1) down, and follow the trails it takes you over to apache and cyclone if you want even but also back to sunrise. its pretty fun but much flatter than the rest of the mountain
    All I want to do is Bike!

Swamp Thaang Groupie
    So how was opening weekend?

Was Sticks and Stones open?

Anyone have a ride report or pictures to share?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Report : I broke my hand on the upper section of Arrowhead of all places.....

dirt visionary
    ouch man that sucks.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

suvlako
    Wow!! Just when you think the communication among SR employees was at it's worst, they go and surprise me. I was actually there camping and at the lodge,they said it was closed to MTbersas they still had a lot of snow and clearing to do. In fact, they said it would be two weeks before they allowed bikes up there.... Don't misunderstand me, I am SO glad they are opening but I cant believe I was there and didn't ride. To be clear, people did go up and actually ride the mountain????Doah!

mtbr member
    bummer Ben. Hope you recover soon. Can you work?

Kathleen in AZ
    Well that just stinks.

aka Swamp ThAAng

Was Sticks and Stones open? What else?

Real question: Is it worth the driving, yet?
    Bulls**t is the glue that binds our nation - George Carlin

Swamp Thaang Groupie
    OUCH! Sorry to hear about that. How bad is the break?

dirt visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by suvlako
    Wow!! Just when you think the communication among SR employees was at it's worst, they go and surprise me. I was actually there camping and at the lodge,they said it was closed to MTbersas they still had a lot of snow and clearing to do. In fact, they said it would be two weeks before they allowed bikes up there.... Don't misunderstand me, I am SO glad they are opening but I cant believe I was there and didn't ride. To be clear, people did go up and actually ride the mountain????Doah!

Sounds like a bum trip that time around

mtbr member
    sorry to hear, Ben. Heal up fast!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    better yet, i have helmet cam video of the whole thing. sticks and stones has some downed trees and snow on it still but for the most part its ok. ill post up some youtube links to the videos after i get them uploaded.

dirt visionary
    So no word on how sunrise was this weekend from any of our local folks?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Sunrise looks awesome. Its amazing and ready for more bikers. We were up there and there were maybe 10 bikers on the whole mountain, most of which were our group. There are still some downed trees and not all trails are open, but all it takes it just lift the bike over trees and ride through a little snow even and your off again. It will continue to get better no doubt as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kuffer
    Sunrise looks awesome. Its amazing and ready for more bikers. We were up there and there were maybe 10 bikers on the whole mountain, most of which were our group. There are still some downed trees and not all trails are open, but all it takes it just lift the bike over trees and ride through a little snow even and your off again. It will continue to get better no doubt as well.
    Sweet! Thanks for the update kuffer! Ill be heading up there this weekend to lend a hand in moving those trees and getting some good riding in!

ride more, blog less
    sunrise was worth the drive in my opinion, just head up through payson, not globe, it'll save you at least an hour of drive time... my first time up there and won't be the last... only bummer about this weekend was not having breaks... too much air in my lines and i didn't have a bleed kit, so that was pretty sketch... thanks to the people that tried to help. went otb pretty bad once, but didn't hurt myself too bad. perfect weather up there, little bit of a sprinkle later in the day with thunder and a little lightning chasing us down the mtn our very last run... hardly a soul on the mountain, other than myself and a friend, there were prolly about ten or eleven other riders, all with good attitudes. some downed trees on sticks and stones but nothing you couldn't get around, the lower section was a little better... i need to get up there more so i can find my way around the mountain better..... only took one photo the whole time tho, i was just having too much fun to stop and shoot...Photobucket
    i like these odds....

dirt visionary
    Nice. Honestly I would have figured at least 20-25 riders on the hill . How many hikers/lift riders?

Also after all my driving last year I found both ways to be equal in time. But I also live on the east side . I love the drive thru Salt river canyon .

mtbr member
    I'm heading up there with a couple friends later this month. What are the trails like, tech, steep, rocky? It'll be my first time on ski lift style dh.

ride more, blog less
    The drive is def. Beautiful through the canyon, just slow going, at least for me and my loaded up ford focus. If you want a scenic drive, for sure take the 60. I've always taken it too, but on the way home I figured what the heck, why not try the 260. Saved loads of timeon the way home. Also easier on gas, but just because most of the drive is downhill. Both ways are around 200miles of driving. Maybe the 260 just seemed faster cuz I was in such a hurry to get home. Cruise control at 80 the whole way. I just wanted to get home and pass out!
    i like these odds....

dirt visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by dunerinaz
    I'm heading up there with a couple friends later this month. What are the trails like, tech, steep, rocky? It'll be my first time on ski lift style dh.

Here is my multi camera view which was done over lots of runs down sticks and stones. This gives you a general idea of what the trails look like. IMO this arrowhead,slippery rock are the best trails that were rideable last year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarHammer
    The drive is def. Beautiful through the canyon, just slow going, at least for me and my loaded up ford focus. If you want a scenic drive, for sure take the 60. I've always taken it too, but on the way home I figured what the heck, why not try the 260. Saved loads of timeon the way home. Also easier on gas, but just because most of the drive is downhill. Both ways are around 200miles of driving. Maybe the 260 just seemed faster cuz I was in such a hurry to get home. Cruise control at 80 the whole way. I just wanted to get home and pass out!
    Do the Globe way up there and the Payson way down, knock 2 birds out with 1 stone. haha
    But yeah Im with clock on this one, the globe way seems better to me. I can't stand the drive past the rim to showlow... It puts me to sleep

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Good trails to start on for your first lift assisted DH would be fungus, do that one a lot, its super fun and can be really fast, its one of those that its as hard or easy as you need it to be. Later on do arrowhead maybe and you have to do cartoon forest just for the fun of it all.

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by shockrwave

Was Sticks and Stones open? What else?

Real question: Is it worth the driving, yet?
    Worth the drive buddy, bout time all you crazie ninjas come up and say hello.

sticks and stones was open, all of fungus, cartoon, lower lupe, arrowhead opened by the afternoon, they are making good work of those trails. We offered to help maintain but they said no.

Do have great vid but my computer is too lame to edit so I have to wait a week

It is important to know...I barely saw snow up there. They were prolly just being pessimistic.

Swamp Thaang Groupie
    Luv that run! Thanks for the vid.

dirt visionary
    Yeah that video made me realize I have yet put my arrowhead and slippery rock footage together from last year. Must have gotten sidetracked riding somewhere and flat out forgot about them lol.

Shred...it's the new drug
    The burgundy braap braap will be doing transportation this sunday if anyone is interested!!! check the facebook page for info or email events@gnargnartours.com!!! Git sum!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob
    The burgundy braap braap will be doing transportation this sunday if anyone is interested!!! check the facebook page for info or email events@gnargnartours.com!!! Git sum!
    dammit bob - could you schedule something, anything on a weekend i can make it???

Quote Originally Posted by 'size
    dammit bob - could you schedule something, anything on a weekend i can make it???
    send me your schedule and we'll plan it out...plus we plan on doing more sunrise shuttles if the response is good. If you can find 6 friends we'll make a special charter for you!!! that goes for anyone else. Did you say party bus up...sleepy bus back? You don't have to drive...we will!!!

mtbr member
    send me your schedule and we'll plan it out...plus we plan on doing more sunrise shuttles if the response is good. If you can find 6 friends we'll make a special charter for you!!! that goes for anyone else. Did you say party bus up...sleepy bus back? You don't have to drive...we will!!!

I don't think it could get much better than that

aka Swamp ThAAng
    Worth the drive buddy, bout time all you crazie ninjas come up and say hello.

sticks and stones was open, all of fungus, cartoon, lower lupe, arrowhead opened by the afternoon, they are making good work of those trails. We offered to help maintain but they said no.

Do have great vid but my computer is too lame to edit so I have to wait a week

It is important to know...I barely saw snow up there. They were prolly just being pessimistic.
    I'm planning a trip up for the weekend following this one - 19/20. Not sure if it's gonna be one or both days. But I'll surely hit you up. I'll bring both bikes, for peddalage, as well.
    Bulls**t is the glue that binds our nation - George Carlin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shockrwave
    I'm planning a trip up for the weekend following this one - 19/20. Not sure if it's gonna be one or both days. But I'll surely hit you up. I'll bring both bikes, for peddalage, as well.

sweet. you will like the dirt up here on these xc trails...super fun!

mtbr member
    wheres those vids at kyle kuffer?

dirt visionary
    yup we need some fresh video or hell even some pics might hold us over but I am not holding my breath fro either

dirt visionary
    Last edited by clockwork; 06-11-2010 at 06:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork
    yup we need some fresh video or hell even some pics might hold us over but I am not holding my breath fro either
    easy buddy...we got your vids I just need to edit the stuff...then it will be up. Needs music...

dirt visionary

mtbr member
    all runs are now open at sunrise except lower chutes and ladders-till they get the trees out.

Alive and Lurkin'
    I ready have plans i the works for this Sunday. If I had seen this earlier I would've been in for sure!!! Need some lift served yum!!!
    Homey don't Facebook but Andy has my e-mail. NEXT TRIP I'M IN
    Pumpin & Pimpin

suvlako
    Great day up at Sunrise. Even Collar bone(I think that's what it's called) was open! No one there though... Get up there and support the local lift accessed scene!!

mtbr member

DH perfecton!

Not to change the Sunrise stoke but, I have got in Seven days of riding up at Angel Fire already and it is in Prime condition. The Trail crew their has done some great work recently building berms down Lower Boogie and Great Jumps on Supreme(like one buttery ski jump into the lift line that you can go 30-70 ft) sooo much fun!. I am a Season Pass Holder for Sunrise and its nice to see when people actually are nice to their customers.I Live in Payson and hopefully will ride Sunrise soon. Its Good to hear that most stuff is open though Thanks for the info .

Get your Drift on!

Maui Grown
    So it sounds like everything is open except Chutes & Ladders, is that correct?
    I'm planning to be there on Saturday.

mtbr member
    I rode Sunrise yesterday and just about every trail is open (including upper sticks and stones (the trail off the backside)). I didn't get to ride chutes and ladders though. The ONLY thing it NEEDS is to have a crew walk through and have all those loose baby heads removed on just about every trail... I had waaay to many close calls just trying to ride down normal. There was a collar bone breakage yesterday on the fast rock decent under the lifts towards the bottom.

With a good trail building group, that can be knocked out in no time... Is anyone talking to Myra and Roger to get a build/ clean up day set up? Maybe there can be something set up on the weekend that if a group wants to go up there and camp we can just put build time in on the mountain either before or after the opening times... ? Or maybe on Friday?
    Either way, 10-15 people... ride the lift up, 2-3 people per trail to walk down clearing it as you go... dont get too crazy at first. That souldn't take more than a couple hours.

Mike-e
    Quote Originally Posted by kubo
    I rode Sunrise yesterday and just about every trail is open (including upper sticks and stones (the trail off the backside)). I didn't get to ride chutes and ladders though. The ONLY thing it NEEDS is to have a crew walk through and have all those loose baby heads removed on just about every trail... I had waaay to many close calls just trying to ride down normal. There was a collar bone breakage yesterday on the fast rock decent under the lifts towards the bottom.

With a good trail building group, that can be knocked out in no time... Is anyone talking to Myra and Roger to get a build/ clean up day set up? Maybe there can be something set up on the weekend that if a group wants to go up there and camp we can just put build time in on the mountain either before or after the opening times... ? Or maybe on Friday?
    Either way, 10-15 people... ride the lift up, 2-3 people per trail to walk down clearing it as you go... dont get too crazy at first. That souldn't take more than a couple hours.
    Sunrise was awesome yesterday! I was really surprised how much work had been put in and how fun the trails were. That was my buddy Chad who broke his collar bone, cut our day a little short but we still got several solid runs in before that happened. I had to walk his bike down the rest of the hill because he couldn't full extend his arm at all (luckily it was close to the bottom) but got him to the hospital in Show Low and they put 'em in a sling and sent us home. I will definitely be making more trips up there this year.

14D
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Lots of fun shredding up there, I'll definitely be going up again whenever I can get a weekend off. Can't wait till I have enough saved up for a DH rig, that **** was brutal on my hardtail. Bummer bout Chad, broken collar bone is no fun. Hope he has a speedy recovery and is out shredding again soon!

suvlako
    Anyone going up this weekend(06-18-10)??

ride more, blog less

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by suvlako
    Anyone going up this weekend(06-18-10)??
    myself and two buddies will be up there this saturday, i believe...
    i like these odds....

mtbr member
    myself and two buddies will be up there this saturday, i believe...
    Ill be there.
    yo Gnar Gnar... want to carpool?

Mike-e
    Quote Originally Posted by kubo
    Ill be there.
    yo Gnar Gnar... want to carpool?
    I'm down... My buddy is hoping to get either Sat or Sun off work, I'll letcha know what day we're gonna head up

ride more, blog less
    lemme see what the seating situation is like.... i won't be bringing the lil red focus so i'm not sure how many people will be able to fit in the truck.... it seats 4, but the back seat is a shi* hole and there is hardly enough space back there for me... we should be able to do it tho... it'll save all of us plenty of $$ in gas if we can... i''ll shoot you a text as soon as i know... i'll talk with him tonight
    i like these odds....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike-e
    I'm down... My buddy is hoping to get either Sat or Sun off work, I'll letcha know what day we're gonna head up
    Alright sounds good. Either day is good for me... or both! haha

mtbr member
    lemme see what the seating situation is like.... i won't be bringing the lil red focus so i'm not sure how many people will be able to fit in the truck.... it seats 4, but the back seat is a shi* hole and there is hardly enough space back there for me... we should be able to do it tho... it'll save all of us plenty of $$ in gas if we can... i''ll shoot you a text as soon as i know... i'll talk with him tonight
    How many people will be with your group?

mtbr member

Could you let me know too? I have a favor to ask...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    a few friends and I were thinking about heading up there.. Is there ride-able trails for hts or do you need a fs bike?

sixsixtysix
    Could you let me know too? I have a favor to ask...

The answer is no.

suvlako
    rideable? Yes. Comfortable? eh eh. Best to have a FS minimum or Dh/Fr rig.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix
    The answer is no.
    doh!

the answer is on its way today.

Mike-e
    doh!

the answer is on its way today.
    Whatchy need Davin? I'll be heading up Sunday with a buddy or two. Gimme a call if ya need something from down here

mtbr member
    Whatchy need Davin? I'll be heading up Sunday with a buddy or two. Gimme a call if ya need something from down here
    Things are all good now, but give me a ring at the shop when you get into town. I do have questions for ya.

If anyone's interested in future mass transportation carpool up there, let us know! If we can gather 8+ peeps we'll take the van and have a rolling party on the way up. PM me or check us online...here!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Hey ok so i have been trying to upload these stupid videos to you tube and it keeps doing this encountered an error right at the end. anyone else no of any free upload sites for vids??

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I call shenanigans.

Not a single photo or video of the 2010 season. I think you are all making this up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

try this:

Hey ok so i have been trying to upload these stupid videos to you tube and it keeps doing this encountered an error right at the end. anyone else no of any free upload sites for vids??
    my buddy runs a site that might work: http://www.mtbpics.net

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    guess ull have to go up and see for yourself ha

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    That site has a 100MB video limit on it. my videos are like 1.5 GB ha Thanks for trying though!

sixsixtysix
    That site has a 100MB video limit on it. my videos are like 1.5 GB ha Thanks for trying though!
    Even the big sites like YouTube cap you at a 1GB file limit. Edit them and compress them down.

ride more, blog less
    try photobucket..... .com
    i like these odds....

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    you tube should have 2 GB limit, but hey who needs my videos, just go up there and ride yourselves ha.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

from Kyle Kuffer on Vimeo.

suvlako
    Trails are in great ship minus lower yard sale. Had a great time with a bunch of the T town crew. Cornchip has been hard at work gettin trails open and re-routed. Nice work Cornchip, it was good riding with you!

Members who have read this thread: 0