OFFICIAL: Globe Trailwork/Shuttles 8/22-8/23- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

OFFICIAL: Globe Trailwork/Shuttles 8/22-8/23

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...10378&t=h&z=13

Copy and paste this link to get directions to the CCC. Google will not give directions all the way to the CCC but if you follow these and continue going up the road where the directions end you will run into the CCC it will be on your left hand side about 100 yards past where point B is on the directions. See you guys there!

Ok so now that it is all set I wanted to provide a breakdown on whats up...

First, let me start off by saying that if you can not make or do not want to do trail work on Saturday you are still welcome to come ride Sunday without catching any ****! So come ride your bikes!

We have reserved a 24' stake bed truck for Saturday August 22nd and Sunday August 23rd. Shuttles will be provided both days to whoever wants to come out. These large stake bed trucks can carry a lot of people so bring your buddies and come work and ride! NOTE: We can not technically charge people for these shuttles because it is forest service land, but PLEASE throw down money if you are coming to ride because renting this truck+gas+mileage is VERY expensive, $20+ per person would be awesome if you catch my drift so bring cash for the day we are trying to provide a cool service to everyone but we are brokeass mountain bikers just like everyone else so please dont be the guy who shows up with $5 in his pocket because we would really like to make this a reoccuring event. This will be a weekend of trail building, partying and of course rippin some sick lines. If you are thinking about RACING IN THE HOLLOWEEN RACE, come out this weekend and practice/build/check out the course. Here is a break down of the daily setup...

Saturday - Saturday will be a trail work day with riding at the end once we are done throwin some dirt. At about 9am we will shuttle people to the top with tools and the group will work its way down the Ice House trail providing maintenance as well as a few key sections that need to be fixed. Group leaders will be designated to lead specifics on the trail...(hopefully we can get Bigwave Dave, Clockwork, Sixtysix and some other notable cats to help out with this). The crew dropped at the top will work their way to the bottom. Any stragglers that show up late and miss the shuttle can start from the bottom and work their way up as the bottom section needs love too. NO RIDERS will be shuttled up to ride untill the trail crew from the top has reached the bottom. Once we gather everyone at the bottom we will begin shuttling riders with bikes to the top.

Saturday Night - There will be a keg at the top campsite provided by myself and Steve-O as a thanks to everyone for coming out. Camp, socialize, lose your wallets...you know how it goes.

Sunday - RIDING TIME!!!! Shuttles, ALL DAY untill its time to go home. Hell yea...

We hope to see a bunch of heads out for this, it is going to be a good time for everyone. Lots of riding, beers, and a great chance to pitch in to the community by maintaining the trails that we all love so much. If there are any questions feel free to...

Call - Joey (516-996-8412) Steve (623-889-4190)
    Email - Joey@smokenspokes.com, Steve@smokenspokes.com

See you out there!
    Last edited by SmokenspokesJoe; 08-20-2009 at 08:54 AM.

Downhill Messiah
    Awesome!!!! Count me in for Sat and Sunday! I'm sure it will be an awesome time!!
    Madspeed always prevails!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    sweeet. It sounds like it is going to be a pretty good turnout cant wait to see you guys out there!

banned
    Is anyone going to camp out?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cesslinger
    Is anyone going to camp out?
    I'm gonna be taking the truck and camping, your welcome to roll with me if you want
    Eating meat is murder, yummy yummy murder!!

banned
    Has that been approved by OPEC?

mtbr member
    Yes it has. I avg. 10mpg going up to candy and back last weekend!

mtbr member
    I will be rolling with 1 maybe 2 others. Shooting for Sat.

I have a few round nosed shovels, and a chain saw.
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

dirt visionary
    I would leave the chainsaw at home . Even the FS can't use them right now due to eagles
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    I'm hoping for Sunday.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tmarkos
    I'm hoping for Sunday.

Me too...

mtbr member
    I use my shotgun to hunt eagles the chainsaw is for squirels.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I will definately be going but not sure if it will be sat morning or afternoon. If I can get one of my lazy ass buddies to go then it will be early morning, if not then I will be headed down with Steve-o in the afternoon. Either way I will be there.

mtbr member
    I'm looking to roll out early Sunday AM and be back late afternoon. I can take 3 others. If anyone is interested pm me.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    In for Saturday.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

caninus xerophilous
    Down for both days and some maintenance. A few more should be coming up from the OP for one of the days.

Downhill Spokesmodel
    Just for those who may not know, where is the lower meeting/shuttle pick up point?
    What time Sunday do you expect to be rolling?
    Now I DRIVE the short bus!!

Help increase ShortBus' rep

mtbr member
    Diito (on the pickup spot). I am planning for Sat. for some dirt slinging and riding.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortBusJames
    Just for those who may not know, where is the lower meeting/shuttle pick up point?
    What time Sunday do you expect to be rolling?
    Good questions.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Sorry for not specifying a meeting point Im an idiot. We will meet at the CCC for the first meeting point. Over the course of the day we might change our pickup point depending on what people want to do but that will be the Home Base area. I smoke weed and forget stuff so please feel free to call my cell 516-996-8412 at any point if you have any questions that arise last minute. We will be meeting at 9am Saturday at the CCC and 9amISH on Sunday at the CCC. If you miss a shuttle, we will be back, dont cry.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...10378&t=h&z=13

Click this link to get directions to the CCC. Google will not give directions all the way to the CCC but if you follow these and continue going up the road where the directions end you will run into the CCC it will be on your left hand side about 100 yards past where point B is on the directions. See you guys there!

mtbr member
    Hey what were the total number of race participants at the Dad's Day race? I searched but didn't find it. Thanks

banned
    Is anyone in Ahwatukee/Tempe going to make a day trip for TW and riding on Saturday?

mtbr member
    I'm out, due to the RAPEING I just incurred from buying text books and other school related sh!t I'm not gonna be able to make it up there this weekend.

banned
    Just scan them into PDF's and return the books before the time limit for recieving full credit. Not exactly ethical, but we do live in America.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cesslinger
    Just scan them into PDF's and return the books before the time limit for recieving full credit. Not exactly ethical, but we do live in America.
    I love being unethical!, but damn that would be a lot of scaning!!

dirt visionary
    Hey guys looking for some info .

Does the FS know of the trailwork being done? If so which ranger is tagging along ? We had Pedro last time during the group maintance on sixer and he was a cool guy to work with. Are they suppling tools ? If so for how many? Did they mention how they want to improve that really bad area that washed out by that one tree? What about the reroute of some of those poor switchbacks?

mtbr member
    Hey Kort check out Chegg.com or half.com for your books. You can rent books at Chegg for about 70% of the price of buying.

Cesslinger, making the trip on Sun.

Downhill Messiah
    i gotta bail on sat, due to the fact that my sh!tty employer decided to cut my wages w/out my consent. hopefully i can scrounge up enough change to make it up sunday.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kortface
    I love being unethical!, but damn that would be a lot of scaning!!

I have gone so far as to buy a scanner and the books, do the dirty work (alot of dirty work) and then return everything for full credit. Even the scanner.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoyR6
    Hey what were the total number of race participants at the Dad's Day race? I searched but didn't find it. Thanks
    I think it was around 50. There was a thread with the results posted.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    We will not have a ranger working with us. We were originally hoping to be working with Big Wave but he will not be able to make it Saturday. Unfortunately, Annet and othe rangers have their hands tied up with fighting fires right now so we are pretty much wingin it up there. I know which sections need work and we will be up there with skilled trail builders so we will make it all happen. You comin out clockwork? Hope to see you there. PS---EVERYONE WHO IS COMING OUT TO WORK...BRING TOOLS. We have some but ran into a shortage so please BRING TOOLS IF POSSIBLE.

dirt visionary
    It my wifes b-day this weekend so I am not sure just yet . Still hashing it out this eve. If the FS is in support then I have no problems lending a hand . But if not I need to sit it out as we have good relations with them and don't wanna have conflict.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yea, talked to Big Wave and he said everything should be cool. Sounds like you might have the anchor tied for this weekend but if you feel like comin out and poppin off some runs either day we would be glad to have you out! And ofcourse, in gratitude for all your hard work out there dont worry about money or anything we got you covered for riding and beers all weekend.

dirt visionary
    If I can make it I will be there

Kathleen in AZ
    I have Newbikeitis... I *might* be interested in Sunday Globe activities if all goes well on the new DHR during our crippled girls shuttles tomorrow (Sat). Yea, we're all suffering from various ailments but goshdarnit, we wanna ride!

Tony... where you rolling from in Phoenix? Kort - if I go alone, I'd welcome your company as a tour guide to lead the way / no gas $$ expected.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Any guesses on how Six Shooter will be with this rain? Trying hard not to wimp out for tomorrow, but I don't like mud....

bobo

mtbr member
    Pinal Mtns handle the rain well, its pretty much all sandy well-drained soils. Best conditions up there are after some precip.

I'm planning on heading up today and back tomorrow mid day, if anyone wants to tag along and split gas PM me soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    I have Newbikeitis... I *might* be interested in Sunday Globe activities if all goes well on the new DHR during our crippled girls shuttles tomorrow (Sat). Yea, we're all suffering from various ailments but goshdarnit, we wanna ride!

Tony... where you rolling from in Phoenix? Kort - if I go alone, I'd welcome your company as a tour guide to lead the way / no gas $$ expected.
    Sorry for the late response. I just canceled it. I need to be back too early. Sorry.

mtbr member
    Bummer. I picked up some beverages for you too. I'll take a picture for you.

I'll be leaving East Mesa around 9

Downhill Spokesmodel
    I'll be heading up in the am. Hope to be there before 9am to get ready for shuttles.
    My wife and stepson are going as well.
    We will see how Zack does on the mountain.

Downhill Spokesmodel
    Good times on the Smoken Spokes Globe shuttle.
    My wife, stepson, and I went out for the shuttle today.
    Zack and I rode Ice House for the first run. Zack is doing well with the bike handling and rode the entire trail. He especially enjoyed the lower four track section, with the exception of the water pipes(?) which can wash out your wheel if you don't cross them right. We missed the shuttle, but decided to head back to town as I am having an issue with the floating rear brake stay on my bike. The bearing in the stay was walking out and causing the rotor and caliper to rub. I think I just need to use some bearing retaining loctite and it should be ok. Thanks to the rider who loaned me his metal tire irons to lever the brake stay and bearing back into place. I still have your tools. Please PM me so that I can get them back to you.
    Except for the 17mi/1hr shuttle to the top and the mechanical issue, it was a great time and I am looking forward to the Halloween event.

Downhill Spokesmodel

Here'e some pix

Pictures from the Smoken Spokes Globe Shuttle.

Again good times today. Thanks to the Smoken Spokes guys.

Downhill Messiah
    I know i had fun, i just cant remember any of it!!! i cant even remember how i crashed!!!! all i remember was goin fast, then it switches to gettin a ride to my truck in a black suv...(which by the way, thanks to the driver, i didnt atch ypur name) went to the hospital last night, no broken bones just an extremely sprained wrist, and severe concussion.
    Thanks smoken spokes!!!! i cant wait to do it again

thisportistoodamnexpensiv
    Oct 2008
    Awesome day of riding, thanks for putting on this event, Joe/Steve.

I had one really nasty crash that jacked my hand pretty good, so unfortunately I won't be riding for a bit. Apparently I'm incapable of "taking it easy" and "riding mellow" as I said I would do earlier in the day.
    REAL MEN LOVE JESUS!!! (...but only when the wife's out of town)

Members who have read this thread: 0