I am Walt

Official Barn Burner Pre-Ride?

Is there an official Barn Burner pre-ride this Saturday, or at any time this weekend?

mtbr member
    negative

Pwning Trails
    think the official one was like two weeks ago.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Walt,

Mandy & I just returned from our Honeymoon in Kauai today and we are still planning on pre-riding this Saturday. I believe Rick from Mandy's work was trying to arrange something with you this Saturday as well. I'll send a PM of my mobile number.

Dave

slow and whiney
    Feb 2010
    I didn't think we could pre-ride other than the official one a couple weeks ago.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Pre-riding is still an option. Just cant pre-ride the Start/Finish section which is on private property and is only about 0.01% of the course. The rest is on forest service roads and is currently marked with orange tape flags (if still hanging).

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

What to expect?

What kind of tires should I be bringing?
    What kind of terrain is it. Dirt road, single track, rocky, lava rocks, loose over hardpack?
    I've been riding in Flag( Roky Ridge, Mount Elden) before but I noticed this is a little of the main path.
    Any help would be much appreciated

A plethora of pinatas
    Quote Originally Posted by gnriden
    What kind of terrain is it. Dirt road, single track, rocky, lava rocks, loose over hardpack?
    I've been riding in Flag( Roky Ridge, Mount Elden) before but I noticed this is a little of the main path.
    It is all fire roads. There is only one small downhill section that is a little technical.

IMHO, A fast rolling tire is the best choice like Kenda Small Block 8's or Maxxis Larsen TT.
    Marty

It ain't easy being Green
    I haven't seen much traffic regarding this race but there are over 500 riders signed up! That's impressive. I discovered the Flag trails when my kid started at NAU, favorites so far are as mentioned in this thread (Oldham, Schultz, etc). The rocks beat the crap out of my BB and cranks (I'm used to SoCal dirt) and the altitude just generally beats the crap out of _me_ but I love it anyway.

I'll be at the race next weekend, looking forward to my first AZ race experience. I may need to borrow a lung...

livin' the dream......
    Looking forward to this. Plan on getting up there friday morning and enjoying some high country scenery. Anyone planning on pre riding friday? I plan on at least a couple miles....

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Yep, pre-ride is over and done with. Only had 1 to limit impact. Course will be re-marked this wkend and then again prior to race day to ensure all is bueno. Registration is shaping up very well (thank you all) and we are stoked to have the event grow so much. There is a STRONG chance we will be selling out a few categories in the next few days....

New Belgium kicked in a cruiser today, we will raffle that with all proceeds going to MBAA and FBO....bring a few extra bucks to increase your chances. See ya in the pines.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gnriden
    I know I'm going with the new Team Issue Bontrager 29.0 tire. This tire should be smoking fast!!!!! Look for it in a store near you soon!!
    www.29er918.blogspot.com

Avoid the Clap, signed……Jimmy Dugan

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by sdcadbiker
    I haven't seen much traffic regarding this race but there are over 500 riders signed up!

I'll be at the race next weekend, looking forward to my first AZ race experience. I may need to borrow a lung...
    You can borrow one of mine.

I'm sorry to miss it this year, it was a great course last year. Fun and fast, although a long rocky downhill that defined the words "tough love", and a few surprisingly lung-popping uphills. Good luck to you and all the other people up there this year!
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

Members who have read this thread: 0