The Official Arizona Spring Fling 09 Thread- Mtbr.com
    Tucson, AZ

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! The Official Arizona Spring Fling 09 Thread

If you have not checked out the AZSF schedule, please venture over to the website (in a few weeks, it will be moved over here to MTBR).

We have a tons of new ride locations and a few more post-ride parties this year. If you have not requested these days off, I encourage you to do so. It is going to be a great time riding with like-minded mountain bikers that share the same passion: a good day on the bike followed by some hearty beer and chatting about bikes. We don't want you to miss it. If you do not have enough days off at your work, call in sick. I can get anyone a doctor's note if they need it.

Also, here is the facebook website in case you want to invite some friends. Remember that the AZSF t-shirts designed by cookiedough can be purchased also.

Thank you to all the volunteers this year for leading rides. If you would like to lead a ride, please send me a PM. Feel free to post any questions and random comments here.
    Last edited by azepicriderandrunner; 02-26-2009 at 07:05 PM.

Kathleen in AZ
    Thank you Chad and JB for making this year's fling a reality!

In no particular order, here are a few riding shots from Fling rides in 2008 to get everyone fired up about AZSF 09.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kathleen in AZ
    Photo credits go to Ted (Bear), Tim from Ohio, Nando, and a few of my own. Hope all these pics don't get in the way of 09 planning and questions!

Tucson, AZ
    That one guy on the silver Titus does not look like he belongs in the pictures, is he from Texas or something?

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    Hope all these pics don't get in the way of 09 planning and questions!
    Some more from last year...

From Untitled Album

From Untitled Album

From Untitled Album
    Last edited by azepicriderandrunner; 02-28-2009 at 09:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Looking fwd to the hairball night margarita ride. Just wondering, are we having the margaritas first before the ride or after or both??????
    SHITBIRD

Jan 2009
    Looks good, I am really new here (and to the sport) but would love to hook up with some experienced locals. Pretty stoked, I might be picking up a Full Suspension Iron Horse just in time to get comfortable with the bike in time

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptMorgan
    Looks good, I am really new here (and to the sport) but would love to hook up with some experienced locals. Pretty stoked, I might be picking up a Full Suspension Iron Horse just in time to get comfortable with the bike in time
    You picked a great time to join the sport, weather is turning for the better. Check out the schedule, there are tons of B and C rides. Let us know if you have any questions.

Just another half mile...
    Since I will be coming straight from work, I won't have time for preride Maggie, but don't let that stop ya if you get there early. Drinks, mexi food and sharing war stories after the ride in the patio.

Quote Originally Posted by helimech
    Looking fwd to the hairball night margarita ride. Just wondering, are we having the margaritas first before the ride or after or both??????

Tucson, AZ
    Demo guys signed on thus far: Pivot, Chumba, and Rocky Mountain! I will post their dates and locations later on the website.

"Yabut"

Un Question

Hey Chad, I just read your Sedona parking lot instructions on the website. Why do you have people riding their bikes to the Bell Rock parking lot? Shouldn't they be riding to Bike and Bean?
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by MyBike'sBroken
    Hey Chad, I just read your Sedona parking lot instructions on the website. Why do you have people riding their bikes to the Bell Rock parking lot? Shouldn't they be riding to Bike and Bean?
    Yeah, we are meeting at B&B. I changed it from the previous plan of meeting at Bell Rock. Thanks for reminding me to change it.

I, Mudd
    God willing my new bike will be ready for Wednesday the 18th.

I'm hoping to head up for the Sierra Vista ride on Thursday morning and maybe the Hawes ride that night. I wonder if there will be any post-ride gathering after Hawes? Red White and Brew is a nice place. I might consider the T-100 C+/B- ride instead since there is a gathering at Aunt Chilada’s.

Thursday I'd like to do the B version of the Bug Springs-Prison Camp-La Milagrosa ride. Anyone know the length of this one? DurtGurl? There's notes on the "A" version but not the "B" version.

Friday I'll do the Bigdudecyling led SOMO "B-" ride since I've never done SOMO before.

I can't wait!
    "Because I was profiling and it looked stolen.
    90% of everything in my neighborhood is stolen." - Me

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by hfy108
    God willing my new bike will be ready for Wednesday the 18th.

Thursday I'd like to do the B version of the Bug Springs-Prison Camp-La Milagrosa ride. Anyone know the length of this one? DurtGurl? There's notes on the "A" version but not the "B" version.
    Hope your new bikes arrives on time!

The ride that I am leading in Tucson will be the same exact path as the A version but we'll be going at a slower pace. Like the A ride, my B ride will still contain the super gnar that is La Millagrosa. But unlike the A ride, mine will last all freekin day long!! I don't want to discourage anyone from attending but this is a ride for experienced bikers who ride (not walk) National or similar trails on a regular basis. And despite being a "shuttle" ride, there are plenty of uphills to tax you on this ride. So.... still want to do it? If so, then I'll see you there!!

Same goes for all my rides - I prefer technical long rides, but I do them at a slower pace than A speed with lots of opportunities for do-overs and picture taking.

Chilling out

Tucson, AZ
    T-shirt update: The girls shirts are going to be black and pink!

Saucy Size
    So, given the route I'm envisioning for my B-ride-at-C-pace event in Sedona on Saturday, I'd rather stage out of the IGA parking lot. More parking, less hassle, easy to get to/from the Bean. What's gonna be the best way to spread the word, in addition to me saying it out loud right here?

p.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    . What's gonna be the best way to spread the word, in addition to me saying it out loud right here?
    I added it to the website. You can make a thread about your ride when the time comes and I will be passing out ride information at Phoenix (for your ride and the others) during the Friday Party.

In the rear with the beer
    Anyone phoenix area folks that can't make it down to Tuscon on thursday, but still want an excuse to play hookie on thursday interested in a Thursday long double by-pass at the mcdowells? Start at bell t/h, down to sunrise, up and over, work way over and up windgate, then down? I'd volunteer to try to coordinate/lead this, but I've never come down the backside of sunrise and worked thru the fountain hills side developments to the right trails to link to dixie mine, so i don't want screw anyone up....so anybody else familiar with the route(and willing to travel at chubby-guy speed all day) wanna join in??
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

Any chance any of the Wed night Hairball regulars could PM me to let me know who to look out for when i arrive for my parallel C ride wednesday night? (although I bet dudes outside aunt chilada's putting on body armor may be a dead give away).
    Salvation Outdoor

mtbr member

Vegas riders...

Looks like there will be at least two of us from Las Vegas catching the Sedona ride. I am still working on the others. I can't wait to meet everyone and enjoy the day in Sedona.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcatnau
    Looks like there will be at least two of us from Las Vegas catching the Sedona ride. I am still working on the others. I can't wait to meet everyone and enjoy the day in Sedona.
    See you there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdudecycling
    Any chance any of the Wed night Hairball regulars could PM me to let me know who to look out for when i arrive for my parallel C ride wednesday night? (although I bet dudes outside aunt chilada's putting on body armor may be a dead give away).
    Did you get a PM???? your right on, on that dead give away .
    SHITBIRD

Quote Originally Posted by helimech
    Did you get a PM???? your right on, on that dead give away .
    No PM, but no worries, I'm sure I'll find the crew....worst case, I go for a night ride and drink beer on my own.....kinda can't go wrong with that (and not the 1st time).
    Salvation Outdoor

I, Mudd
    No PM, but no worries, I'm sure I'll find the crew....worst case, I go for a night ride and drink beer on my own.....kinda can't go wrong with that (and not the 1st time).
    I'm pretty sure I'll be joining you on your c (hopefully closer to b) ride.
    "Because I was profiling and it looked stolen.
    90% of everything in my neighborhood is stolen." - Me

Dirt/y girl-y tomboy
    Hi AZ (crashing yr. board)-
    : p
    I'll be c-pooling down to this event fr. NorCAl.
    Does that campsite (is that Beaver Flat?) have restrooms/shower (or a sink)? Just want to know how dirty or clean i can be for 3-4 days riding in the desert.

Thx. for any info.

See you in almost a week..
    "Bear" with me

"Yabut"
    Quote Originally Posted by Got rocks?
    Hi AZ (crashing yr. board)-
    : p
    I'll be c-pooling down to this event fr. NorCAl.
    Does that campsite (is that Beaver Flat?) have restrooms/shower (or a sink)? Just want to know how dirty or clean i can be for 3-4 days riding in the desert.

Thx. for any info.

See you in almost a week..
    It's not a campsite. More like an area. It's primitive. Meaning, it has nothing but what you bring with you.
    ~Aaron~

www.CosmicRaces.com

banned
    Wow, so many choices. 90 percent of them are trails that I have never heard of. What is better? Tucson or Sedona? I can only go to one.

"Yabut"
    Quote Originally Posted by cesslinger
    Wow, so many choices. 90 percent of them are trails that I have never heard of. What is better? Tucson or Sedona? I can only go to one.
    Both are fun, but the VAST majority of people will be in Sedona.
    ~Aaron~

www.CosmicRaces.com

banned
    Geeze, I need to find a way to ditch my uncle that weekend. He wants to go to Flag to go to a concert and then ride the next day. I hope it is too cold so I have an easy alliby. I hate the cold and refuse to go near it; unless its a beer.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by MyBike'sBroken
    It's not a campsite. More like an area. It's primitive. Meaning, it has nothing but what you bring with you.
    Thanks Aaron. There is a nearby river to shower

Chilling out

Kathleen in AZ
    Are you Texans going to ride the Bugs/PC/Milli on Thursday or do another ride in Tucson? Do you remember the way to my house? I am also counting down the days till the Fling - it's a vacation for me too!

Chilling out
    a. i speak not for other Texas residents, but Bizarro needs to ride Milli.

b. If Sundog was leading a 50 Year thing that'd be interesting for sure, but I gots a for Milli myself.

c. I have GPS coordinate for your place good to about three decimal places, i'm assuming you haven't moved to escape me.

I know i need to get a fresh bottle of MacAllan for the trip, and some good Cider, but was wondering what else I should try to dig up.

Kathleen in AZ
    Chad - Have you arranged for a shuttle vehicle for Thurs Milli or will the two groups be self-shuttling to be arranged as we gather at Le Buzz?

Tucson, AZ
    Chad - Have you arranged for a shuttle vehicle for Thurs Milli or will the two groups be self-shuttling to be arranged as we gather at Le Buzz?
    No shuttle (yet), just a few people with cars that are capable of carrying 4 bikes at a time.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by bear
    c. I have GPS coordinate for your place good to about three decimal places, i'm assuming you haven't moved to escape me.
    Same place if that was directed at me. Look forward to the arrival!

I know i need to get a fresh bottle of MacAllan for the trip, and some good Cider, but was wondering what else I should try to dig up.
    Some mighty arrow or anything new belgium brewery would be perfect

This time next week we are going to be charging our lights and ready for all the pre-rides going on in Phx, Prescott, and Tucson!
    Last edited by azepicriderandrunner; 03-12-2009 at 01:46 PM.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    No shuttle (yet), just a few people with cars that are capable of carrying 4 bikes at a time.
    I'll be able to carry 3 or 4 extra bikes on top of the whorerunner but probably only a few extra people inside depending on how close everyone can squish. Anyone with with thru-axles who has a forkup should bring their forkup even if you don't need it to transport your bike on your vehicle. thanks!

Chilling out
    my subie (same as last year) carrys four two-wheeled bikes of most any configuration, w/o wheel removal. We may be able to *dangerously* strap a 5th between two of the others if need be. At the moment I'm unsure how many occupants said subie is having from TX, could be anywhere from 1-3 depending, but am expecting probably 2.

Reminds me, gotta call Bizzo and see what his deal is.

Kathleen in AZ

Fri party details

I've been helping out CactusJoe on party details for Friday night and here's the plan:

3/16-09 revision--- I had rights and lefts mixed up on the map so have uploaded a new one!

What: AZ Spring Fling Party at South Mountain
    When: Friday 5:30-10PM
    Where: Little Ramada in South Mountain Park

Directions: Get to Central Avenue in Phoenix and head south into South Mountain Park. Party is to be held at the LITTLE RAMADA this year. After you enter the park, take the 1st right turn. There is a small sign prior to the turn. Yes, the picnic area is actually called "Little Ramada".

FOOD - Although we hope to provide some snacks, dinner is BYO style. We will have grills fired up, and will supply plates, utensils, condiments, water, and some soda. Bring your appetite, but don't forget to stop by the grocery store!

BEER – A keg of something yummy and alcoholic will be provided Cups too.

GLASS BOTTLES are not allowed at the picnic area, subject to fines from the park authorities.

Be looking for the Spring Fling tip jar and feel free to donate generously to offset costs! Beer may or may not be donated - we'll let you know before we hit you up for $$$.
    Last edited by DurtGurl; 03-16-2009 at 02:49 PM.

I ride with tools

Will there be....

scantily clad dancing girls? Should I bring a lot of 1$ bills? Or ping-pong balls?

JB *excited as all hell to be heading to warmer climes for good riding and gooder company*

Chilling out
    JB, considering the temps in Austin just dropped to wet-sub-50's i'm with you.

DG, thanks for helping the out.

mtbr member
    Did I hear my name....TWICE!!??

Hey Bear if you're going to be up in an hour I'll call you....I think I still have you number.

Oh yeah, I'm IN! But some stipulations for me so I have to drive myself! But I'm in! We'll get in touch and plan stuff out there!

What's this "Milli?" Milagrosa?? Oh boy...Is that the one that's suppose to be the "hardest of all the rides?" Which translates in WICKED FUN RIGHT!?

Gotz some new rubber for the beast today. I wish I did that a little while ago to get use to wear it down a little.

mtbr member
    Hey DG,
    I'm gonna try and have my full size truck which can fit 9 or more bikes with the rack to take to the top. I'm also gonna stash a cooler at malino camp ground with some refreshing goodies. Hope this helps a little.
    SHITBIRD

parenting for gnarness
    how rugged is the drive into the campsite? 2WD friendly?
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    how rugged is the drive into the campsite? 2WD friendly?
    Any car can make it out there. I plan on bringing my smart car.

parenting for gnarness
    Any car can make it out there. I plan on bringing my smart car.
    ok and the next stupid question - campground looks like about 5 miles from Bike and Bean, and Traildoc's ride at Schnebly hill maybe another 5 miles up the road from the Bell Rock parking area?

trying to be responsible and leave my car in one place, but not sure I want to add 20 miles of road riding...then again, big f'ing deal, I'm only doing 2 days.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    ok and the next stupid question - campground looks like about 5 miles from Bike and Bean, and Traildoc's ride at Schnebly hill maybe another 5 miles up the road from the Bell Rock parking area? trying to be responsible and leave my car in one place, but not sure I want to add 20 miles of road riding...then again, big f'ing deal, I'm only doing 2 days.
    If you are doing Traildoc's ride, I'd recommend you at least drive to the shopping center area to park. The other option is to park at the Basha's on Coffee Pot/89A and bolt down to Traildoc's meeting point. My reasoning is simple: the construction between the Bike n Bean in Schnebly Hill makes the road pretty annoying to ride at this time, no bike lane past the Bell Rock (at least when I was in Sedona in January).

Tucson, AZ
    BTW, SunGod might be coming out for the Millie ride.

Saucy Size
    BTW, SunGod might be coming out for the Millie ride.
    I wonder if he'd answer to Ra?

p.

pedaller

I'm hoping weather.com is wrong...

since it's forecast for wed-sun is highs around 90+!

That's a little toasty...
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

Chilling out
    Noel, i'd frankly prefer that to 48 and rainy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Are there any rides that lean toward C pace, but B tech? Like push your bike up national/goat camp, and ride (or try to) back down?

Chilling out
    there's someone shuttling up the mountain on Friday I think, you could do that and save all the pushing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Goat camp

Is the Sunday White tank mountain ride still on? We'll be heading back to Los Angeles and plan to do White tank/goat camp early Sunday morning...starting no later than 8am. Love the goat camp downhill.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by mfshop
    Are there any rides that lean toward C pace, but B tech? Like push your bike up national/goat camp, and ride (or try to) back down?
    I think most b rides have a pretty relaxed pace for pictures and chatting. Talk to ride leaders when u show up to get a feel for the pace. I will try to make another ride like you said also

Goat camp is still on, time to be announced.

mtbr member
    Anything planned for prescott on sunday?

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by fixgeardan
    Anything planned for prescott on sunday?
    working on something with scottm

Quote Originally Posted by hfy108
    I'm pretty sure I'll be joining you on your c (hopefully closer to b) ride.

Cool, I went out to that area today to scout around (actually ended up in some neighborhoods, so I learned where not to go). I'm good with whatever route anyone wants to try as long as its a couple notches below hairball. Never ridden there at night, which should make it interesting.
    Salvation Outdoor

mtbr member
    I am SO looking forward to this! I just installed the bashguard and hope to do Goatcamp on Sunday.

Bear, we'll leave San Antonio around 6:30 AM. Are you guys stopping for lunch (Ft. Stockton) or blowing straight through?

The DurtGurl led B ride in Tucson on Thursday sounds perfect. Hope I have enough left in the tank for the rest of the days!

Jory

Chilling out
    Jory,

I'm shooting for 6pm at Starr Pass (see directions here or on the page I posted), and dinner and such afterwards at Bison Wiches. I will probably lunch-on-the-move, depending on traffic flow though. I'm not trying to go warp-10, just get there in time. Will be leaving a bit earlier than you though.

You'll love the Millie ride with DG, I'm planning on that one too, too many hours working the past few weeks to keep my endurance high enough to keep up with Max et. al. on the A ride pace.

I'm looking forward to GC too. And Sedona. And SoMo. And even moreso, catch up spending time with my AZ peoples (even the ones I don't know yet, and which aren't from AZ).

Eat well, sleep well, have some kind of recovery drink, stay hydrated, you'll be fine every day.

banned

B+-Sedona-Meeting-Spot-Change?

Chad:--Would-like-to-change-the-meeting-spot-to-Chaple-Rd.&Hwy179,if-possible.

Brit on a trip
    Nov 2006
    "Eat well, sleep well, have some kind of recovery drink, stay hydrated, you'll be fine every day."

LOL - you mean barely recover from journey there, stay up too late drinking too much beer, get up too early to get the miles in to the days ride, hard day on the bike, more miles back to base, then repeat X three more times - it gonna be harsh - but fun!

Got the bike bagged up, last ride today then pack everything else to hit the airport tomorrow. Spring has finally arrived here with some sun and temps pushing upper 50's - but AZ is going to be like moving straight to a summer heat wave - bring it on
    Growing old is mandatory - growing up is optional

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Tor-y-Foel
    "Eat well, sleep well, have some kind of recovery drink, stay hydrated, you'll be fine every day."
    Yes!! Good advice but we also need to watch out for the upcoming heat wave. Friday's Phoenix high is forecast to be 90. Let's see how things are during the week but I'm thinking we need to move the start times for the SoMo XC rides to 8AM or even earlier. I'm sure the southern AZ locals can deal with it (except Kaboose ) but I'm worried about our out-of-towners.
    Last edited by DurtGurl; 03-16-2009 at 07:19 AM.

mtbr member
    oh yeah I'm getting pumped! I don't know anyone from there except my friend Eden and Matt B from Sedona. And of course Bear from home. Can't wait to meet some of you guyzz!
    I have to blow through work for the next couple of days and then on the road wed! Gotz new rubber on the bike and rode today to thrash them around.....ahhh..nice ride.

I don't know if I'll make the night ride pulling in wed night. But I just can't wait til thurs milli ride and beyond! I spent $100 today just on drugs and new shorts....dang.

I was told by a Monkey friend to do White Tank/Goat Camp also so i'm in for Sunday also!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizarro

What's this "Milli?" Milagrosa?? Oh boy...Is that the one that's suppose to be the "hardest of all the rides?" Which translates in WICKED FUN RIGHT!?
    Krispy,

I'm leading an A-group down the Bugs to Bottom route (Bug Springs-Prison Camp-
    La Milagrosa). You should plan on joining in. There will be cameras strapped on.
    (Yes, you heard me. Strap-ons!)

This is, IMO, not the most technical ride of the fling. The short, 2 mile downhill section
    of Goat Camp is much tougher, technically. I'm here to tell you, I had a hell of a time
    descending that section. I walked the 50 foot long, Jack Hammer section. I wasn't wearing
    armor and I was clipped in and that ain't the right set-up for Goat Camp. GC begs for flat
    pedals and a Storm Trooper suit.

Bugs to Bottom is a much longer route with more descending than climbing. It is, after all,
    a shuttle run.

Oh, there are some technical sections, but nothing as steep and baby-head laden, wheel
    sucking, continual, controlled crashing like some of the sections of that 2 mile descent on
    Goat Camp. Oh, ok. There's one area I call the "boulder field" on Miligrosa. Watch this
    old video to see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcXVs86Uk0Q

Still, not as tough as a couple of GC sections.

Bugs to Bottom is one of the best routes in the Tucson area. You'll absolutely LOVE it!
    There are 3 tough climbs, but the rest is sweet bliss.

See you Thursday morning at Le Buzz?
    Last edited by Evil Patrick; 03-16-2009 at 09:01 AM.
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

Chilling out
    Evil T coming out to play too? She does she get her Firebird (yuk yuk yuk)?

Tucson, AZ
    This is moved over from the current website for those that prefer to visit MTBR for the ride info.

All SoMo XC rides are now leaving out at 8:00am in the morning. If you are a rider leader and would rather leave at 9, please send me a PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The goal of this year's AZSF is to allow more people to ride in more locations. We have more riding options this year than in any year before. This is not to spread out the groups but rather to give people more options. Another reason why we organize this unique gathering is for the post-ride gatherings, we all want to chat and what better place to do that than after a great ride. All too often we do not have the chance to meet people on the trail or at the local race. This is your chance to ride and then relax around a campfire, bar, cookout, keg, outside of Bike n bean or other post-ride gathering location mentioned below. We encourage you to come join us this year.

Things that are new and notable this year: We are offering two shuttle rides this year, La Milagrosa and SoMo. Additionally, there are more C-Level rides this year than in previous years thanks to our leaders that have done a tremendous job in volunteering. Some more notable changes, we will also be staging more rides on Saturday, specifically one down in Tucson. The Pre-Fling this year is huge, it is going to start off with 9+ rides throughout 4 different cities, each with its own post-ride gathering.

Here is the current ride schedule:

Wednesday March 18 Pre-Fling Rides and Parties
    This year, we are starting the Arizona Spring Fling off with the biggest Pre-Fling party ever. We have all levels of riding in 4 different cities, almost all require some light, so make sure to bring charged up lights and/or extra batteries. The sun tends to set at 7:00pm in March.

Pre-Fling on Wednesday in Prescott
    Ride Leader: Jayem

Ride difficulty: B
    Meeting place/time: see below
    Details: 0900

Directions:We'll meet at the old-railroad grade on the left side of Iron Springs road. This is before the OHV area, so if you reach that you've gone too far. The railroad grade is about a mile up Iron Springs Road past the Granite Basin turnoff, and directly opposite of that is trail 332 (Circule Trail). The general ride plan will not change drastically, as we'll probably ride up to trail37 for the descent on 40 into Granite Basin, but this makes for a better meeting-spot with easier bail-options.

I'd make this a B ride, one serious climb in the beginning, good descent to start it off after the climb, then gradual descending, followed by gradual climbing, with a shorter steeper climb at the end. It's ~20 miles or so with options to extend and shorten.

Pre-Fling C Ride Level at Papago Park
    Ride Leader: Kaboose

Ride difficulty: C Level

Meeting place/time/details: 5:00pm FIP No lights required, yeah! Meet in the parking lot west of the zoo entrance and ride around the golf course, buttes, hold in the rock and go south beyond the jumps. 14ish miles of riding. Post-ride gathering will be organized and discussed after the ride.

Pre-Fling on Wed at Hawes
    Ride Leaders: Liteandfast (Dave)….

Ride difficulty: “B” ride
    Meeting place/time: 5 PM Bring lights
    We can meet at 5 pm at Walgreens in the back of building. Please bring lightss and cameras, we will catch the sunset.

Wednesday Hairball Margarita Night Ride (WHBMNR)
    When: Wednesday, March 18th, 6:30 PM
    Meet: Aunt Chilada's, 7330 North Dreamy Draw Drive, Phoenix, Arizona 85020
    Meet in the south parking lot.
    Directions: https://www.auntchiladas.com/location/
    Ride: This is an technical "A" ride where we will be dropping down the Hailball DH, one of the most technical trails in the Phoenix Mountain Preserves and we will be doing it at night! We will start and end the ride at Aunt Chilada's. The route will be about 6-miles long and will take about 2 hours to complete the loop. The ride includes 1/4 mile 300' hike-a-bike climb to get to the top of Haiball. At which point we will strap on the armor. Then the next mile we drop 600' over some really great super chunkness and then short HAB then the final drop down the Super Chutes to end the ride.
    Bike: 6" All moutain bike that can climb a little works best. Also bring Armor!
    Post Ride: We will party in the patio at Aunt Chilada's with Margaritas and food. Aunt Chilada's is bike friendly and we can park our bikes in the patio if yo udo not have secure way to hide or lock you bike in you car

Wednesday T-100 B/C Level Night Ride
    When: Wednesday, March 18th, PM
    Meet: Aunt Chilada's, 7330 North Dreamy Draw Drive, Phoenix, Arizona 85020
    Meet in the south parking lot.
    Directions: https://www.auntchiladas.com/location/
    Ride: This is an technical B-/C+ ride that will be at T100. We will be meeting up with the Hairball ride at Aunt Chilada's to drink beer, eat some tacos, and socialize.

Post Ride: We will party in the patio at Aunt Chilada's with Margaritas and food. Mostly T100 proper, will decide east or west when we start. Will be 'no drop', to keep everyone safe. Bring lights! The purpose is to burn a few calories before binging on tacos and beer and listening to the stories of the Hairball group.

Pre-Fling on Wed: Tucson Starr Pass "B" Night Ride
    Ride Leaders: Vern and Co.
    Ride difficulty: “B” ride
    Meeting place/time: Bring your lights. Meet at Starr Pass parking lot at 6:00 PM. Plan to ride about 2 hours. This is also wear your ugly bike t-shirt ride, so bring out the ugliest jerseys/t-shirt you have.
    Post-ride Beer: Ride/drive down to 4th Avenue for some beer and food at Bison Witches.
    Ride Description: Starr Pass is more hilly than most of Tucson Mountain Park and provides greater ride variation for a given trail. This area is heavily covered in cacti. Flat-proofed (slimed) tires and pliers to remove cacti from your bike or yourself are recommended. Lights required also.

Pre-Fling on Wed: Tucson Starr Pass "A" Night Ride
    Ride Leaders: Chad and Max
    Ride difficulty: “A” ride
    Meeting place/time: Bring your lights. Meet at Starr Pass parking lot at 5:00 PM. Plan to ride about 2.5-3 hours. This is also wear your ugly bike t-shirt ride, so bring out the ugliest jerseys/t-shirt you have.
    Post-ride Beer: Ride/drive down to 4th Avenue for some beer and food at Bison Witches.
    Ride Description: Starr Pass is more hilly than most of Tucson Mountain Park and provides greater ride variation for a given trail. This area is heavily covered in cacti. Flat-proofed (slimed) tires and pliers to remove cacti from your bike or yourself are recommended. .

Pre-Fling on Wed: Tucson 50-year trail
    Ride Leaders: CJ
    Pre-Fling Wednesday Sunset/Night Ride
    Meeting Point: TBD, dependent on (any) respondents. Large Group, Golder Trailhead. If it is just a few riders, we'll just ride from our place here (directions available, if needed)
    Starting Time: 6 PM
    Ride Description:
    Wednesday Sunset/Night Ride: Watch the colors change from yellow-to-orange- to-purple on the Santa Catalina Mountains as you cruise the trail. The plan is to depart in the light, enjoy sunset on the mountains while riding a little slickrock off-shoot trail, have a trailside snack/beverage, switch on the lights and ride some more. B paced, with stops as needed for whatever…a relaxed pace, fun ride on the 50 Year Trail and related environs. If there are any riders wishing to join us, great!
    Route Description: The 50 year trail is a popular mountain biking trail that runs from the Catalina State Park equestrian center to the North end of the Golder Ranch Area. The trail contains a variety of difficulty levels from easy to advanced. There will be lines and opportunities for you to take as much risk as you want, with the goal, a Fun social night ride!!! Directions here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, March 19: Tucson
    Tucson A: -Bug Springs-Prison Camp-La Milagrosa
    Ride Leader: Helimech A Group --- DurtGurl B Group----Evil Patrick
    Ride difficulty: “A” ride****Note**** This ride is very, very advanced, possibly the most advanced ride for all of AZSF. Riders should be able to descend obstacles with ease. Full suspension (although not mandatory is highly recommended). If you have armor, bring it.
    Meeting place/time: Meet at LeBuzz coffee shop (9095 E. Tanque Verde Road, Tucson, AZ 85749) at 9AM. Both groups meet at the same time and will leave shuttle up at different times, A going first.

Directions to Le Buzz: Take I-10 to Ina Road, and head East on Ina. Ina will change names twice, to Skyline and then Sunrise. About a mile after you pass the signal at Craycroft, the next signal at the bottom of a hill is Kolb. Turn right. Kolb will become Sabino Canyon, and about a mile after that you will come to a T intersection with Tanque Verde. Turn left and stay in either of the two left lanes (the right lane will become another road). After about a mile, find LeBuzz tucked in a shopping center on the NE corner of the Tanque Verde / Catalina Highway intersection behind the McDonalds.

Tucson B: AZ Trail, starting in Vail
    Ride Leader: MyBikesBroken
    Ride difficulty: "B" ride
    Meeting place/time: Meet out front of Montgomery's Grill and Saloon, 13190 E Colossal Cave Rd, Vail, AZ. @10AM.

Directions to Montgomery's: Take I-10 to Vail Rd. (exit 279), Turn left and head north on Vail Rd. After about a mile, there will be a shopping center on the right side of the road. You will see a Dairy Queen, Quikie Mart, etc. Montgomery's is on the North end of the shopping center. We will meet in the dirt lot out front. Driving time from the Tempe (SoMo) area will be around 3 hours. Ride Description: We will ride from Pistol Hill Road, out to Three Bridges, and return. Approx. 24 miles. This section of the AZ Trail is beautiful, and fun to ride. It rolls and twists through saguaro cactus forests. Most of the trail is smooth singletrack, with some slightly technical bits thrown in here and there. Some climbing, and of course, descending. It's singlespeed friendly. On my 29'er, I ride it with either a 32x18 or 32x20.

As in years past, after riding the AZT in Vail, we will head over to Montgomery's for beers on the patio before we head down to Bars on Bikes.

Tucson B: 50-Year Trail
    Ride Leader: Waiting to see if there is a need for this, please make a comment below if you'd like to ride here.
    Ride difficulty: B ride
    Meeting place/time: Meet at Golder Ranch Road at 9:00am
    Ride Description: We will be riding some of the best trails in the area, Baby Jesus, Upper 50, a quick sneak into the chutes, etc. There will be be afterward before we go down to Bars on Bikes.

Route Description: The 50 year trail is a popular mountain biking trail that runs from the Catalina State Park equestrian center to the North end of the Golder Ranch Area. The trail contains a variety of difficulty levels from easy to advanced. We will be mostly on rolly sections, with a few rocks here and there to add some technical game to the ride.

For those that have to work on Thursday, we offer the following rides that will be meeting up at Sweetwater. The first ride will start on the northwest side of Tucson and venture over to Sweetwater via the Gasline. The other is a C-Ride that will be starting out at Sweetwater.

Tucson A: Gasline to Sweetwater Afternoon Ride
    Ride Leader: Chad
    Ride difficulty: A Ride
    Meeting place/time: 3:45 Ina/Shannon (you can bike over or park at Chad's house) or anywhere on Ina, west of Shannon. We will be riding Ina out, then taking the gasline to Sweetwater, where we will meet up with the C Ride. You will be tired by the time you get to Sweetwater and will be riding about a C Pace. The plan is to hammer on the 8-10 freaking huge gasline hills, then have a nice ride with the C-ride, before biking down to Bars on Bikes downtown/returning to your car.
    More information about Bars on Bikes can be found below under Tucson Party Info (it is in red lettering).

Tucson C: Sweetwater Afternoon Ride
    Ride Leader: Kimmee and Cat
    Ride difficulty: C Ride
    Meeting place/time: Sweetwater at 4:45pm
    Directions: This is an awesome place for night riding. Take Ruthrauff Rd. west of I-10 where it then turns to El Camino del Cerro. Approx 1 mile west of I-10 you will cross Silverbell Rd. Keep going west about another 1.8 miles until you come to Tortalita Rd. turn left (south). Go about 1 mile until the road dead ends. Trailhead is here. After the ride, we will be heading to Bars on Bikes that starts at Rincon Market (see Tucson Pary Info below for more about the Bars on Bikes).

Route Description: We will be doing a small loop, around 5-7 miles, 1-2 hours. Here is a map of Sweetwater: https://www.tucsonmtb.com/clipart/sweetwater_map.jpg

Tucson Party Info
    Wednesday Night Ride
    Starr Pass/Tucson Mountain Park Big Parking Lot
    at 6:00pm
    Post-race Beer and Food at Bison Witches on 4th Avenue (still talking to the owner about cutting us a deal).

Bring your I Bike Tucson or AZSF T-Shirt to this event!

Thursday Bars on Bikes
    Meet at the Rincon Market (6th and Tucson Blvd):
    at 7:00pm with lights, blinkie and headlight, ready to ride and drink! We will be riding until 11am. If you want to park your car downtown, we will be ending in that area.

Bring your I Bike Tucson or AZSF T-Shirt to this event!

Friday, March 20: Phoenix, South Mountain/T100 rides
    SoMo Shuttle Rides
    Ride Leader: Clockwork and Co.
    Ride difficulty: A+ Uber Technical
    Meeting place/time: 7am @ scorpion gultch
    Details: This is a ride for those with big bikes and armor. Send a PM to Clockwork on MTBR if you are interested. Bring some cash for gas.

SoMo A:
    Ride difficulty: A

The party at SoMo starts pretty late, so we have all day to ride at SoMo. A C2C2C might be one option depending on interest. Any interested parties should send me a PM so I a gauge interest level.

Meeting place/time: FIP at 9:00, plan to show up at 8:45am and leave by 9 for all group rides. It would be nice to chat for a few minutes with all the other group leaders, so make sure to be a little early if you want to meet some people. Beer at BV may be provided again, so make sure to bring some cash for the tip canister. This applies to all SoMo rides. Bring lots of water and snacks, we can drop stuff off at BV (water and snacks) if we have to. I will let you know if we finalize the Beer/Gatorade Stop on BV like last year (Thanks again to CactusJoe for that amazing feat last year!)
    Directions to Pima Canyon at South Mountain: Located at 9904 S. 48th Street and Guadalupe Road. Map of South Mtn

SoMo B
    Ride Leader: CactusJose (JB)
    Ride difficulty: B
    Meeting place/time: FIP at 9:00am, North Ramada, Pima Canyon (Same as above)
    Directions to South Mountain: see above

SoMo B+
    Ride Leader: DurtGurl

Meeting place/time: FIP at 9:00am, North Ramada, Pima Canyon (Same as above). Leave after meeting everyone from other groups and drink an early morning beer.
    ROUTE: Up National, down Holbert, up road, down Corona Loma, Secret trail to Desert Classic back to parking area. Distance is about 23 miles (not exactly sure) and time will be 5-6 hours for a group. Call this ride an "A" for technical and endurance aspects and a "B" for pace. Water refills will be available after Holbert but be sure to start with a full 100oz bladder and lots of snacks.

SoMo B-
    Ride Leader: Bigdudecyling

Meeting place/time: at 9:00am, North Ramada, Pima Canyon (Same as above). Leave after meeting everyone from other groups.
    ROUTE: Up the fire road to javelina, down javeline to east/west loop, then over to DC, with a few options to drop off if it gets long. Otherwise, this is a fun ride, plenty of time to take pictures, enjoy each other's company, etc.

T100 C
    Ride Leader: Kaboose
    Ride difficulty: C
    Meeting place/time: 8:00am
    Directions to T100: Meet at the NOMO parking lot, across from the Pointe. We will ride west to the Earth Dam and make the Pink Loop back to the start, then head east to Rollercoaster and back home via Wedding Trail. Send Kaboose a PM on MTBR if you have any questions.

Party Info:
    What: AZ Spring Fling Party at South Mountain
    When: Friday 5:30-10PM
    Where: Little Ramada in South Mountain Park (map available here)

Directions: Get to Central Avenue in Phoenix and head south into South Mountain Park. Party is to be held at the LITTLE RAMADA this year. After you enter the park, take the 1st right turn after you enter park. There is a small sign prior to the turn. Yes, the picnic area is actually called "Little Ramada".

FOOD - Although we hope to provide some snacks, dinner is BYO style. We will have grills fired up, and will supply plates, utensils, condiments, water, and some soda. Bring your appetite, but don't forget to stop by the grocery store!

BEER – A keg of something yummy and alcoholic will be provided Cups too.

GLASS BOTTLES are not allowed at the picnic area, subject to fines from the park authorities.

Be looking for the Spring Fling tip jar and feel free to donate generously to offset costs! Beer may or may not be donated - we'll let you know before we hit you up for $$$.

Saturday, March 21 - Sedona
    All Sedona Rides (unless noted below) will be parking in the Bell Rock Parking Lot (see directions below) and will be congregating at Bike n Bean. Please make sure you read the directions. There will be maps available on MTBR in a few weeks. After parking your car and gearing up, venture to the Bike n Bean to buy some coffee and other goods that you may need, sit back and wait for everyone to show up. If you want to rent a bike in Sedona, Bike n Bean is offering 10% off any rental! Check out their rentals by clicking their link.

Sedona A
    Meet at 9:00am at Bike n Bean, get some coffee, socialize and then we ride. The ride departs at 9:25am promptly.
    Starting location: See Bell Rock Parking Directions in red below

Details: There is no plan of this one, we will only be hitting some of the best singletrack in Sedona, the stuff that makes you want to write home to a loved one and tell him/her how much you loved Sedona. If you have ever wanted to ride some primo A+ trails, plan on doing this technical savy ride. Our legs will be hurting after 3 days in the saddle, but we will attack this Red Rock Country with everything we got. This ride is not for the faint at heart, although some of us we will need some breaks after doing 3 previous rides. Bring a camera and snacks, there will be some camera and snacks breaks. Some trails that you will ride during this Tour of Sedona: Llama, Broken Arrow, Cathedral, Mystic, a possible water crossing, maybe even some Airport Rocky-as-Hell Mesa Loop or Damifino, we will gauge the interest of both those areas on the group dynamics. We will ride until there is a coupe or until someone falls into despair and yells out, I want Oak Creek Beer already! Which ever comes first.

Sedona B+
    Ride Leader: TrailDoc
    Meet at 8:45am, Ride departs at 9:00am promptly.
    Starting location: at the intersection of Chapel Rd and 179

Details: Protective gear, swim suit and tire sealant are highly recommended. The ride will definitely hit areas laden with cactus and other spiny vegetation. 4-5 hour ride. If you do not know TD, he is a Sedona local that loves to show people around. If you want to see some great trail and great views, a tour with Dr. T is in order.

Sedona B

Ride Leader: some yahoo (Befoot)
    Meet at 9:00am at Bike n Bean, get some coffee, socialize and then we ride. (I liked that part)
    The ride departs at 9:30am

Details: from Bike n Bean head south on 179 to Bell rock Blvd.go west to Verde Valley School Rd. go west again and pick up Baldwin / Buddha Beach / Templeton / HT / Little Horse / Chicken Point and evaluate plan /Broken Arrow / Morgan Rd. / Mystic / Chapel / Little Horse / Llama / Bell Rock Pathway / Bike n Bean / Beer....you know the same old boring stuff.
    there are some spots to do a bale-out if needed.
    I will be riding a SS and I'm slow so I may be leading from the back at times all in all this should be a great ride bring your camera and lots of water and snacks...in case we get lost, just kidding.
    see you all at the "Bean"

Sedona B
    Ride Leader: DurtGurl and Liteandfast
    Start location: Bike n' Bean (see directions below). FIP @ 0930.
    Details: Route TBD.

Sedona B
    Ride Leader: Chongoman
    Start location: Bike n' Bean (see directions below). FIP @ 0935.

Sedona A/B
    Ride Leader: Local Sedona will be leading this ride

Start location: Bike n' Bean (see directions below). FIP @ 0940.

Sedona B-C
    Ride Leaders: Paul and Rancho66

Start Location: We will be meeting in the IGA parking lot. There is plenty of parking here and it suits are ride better to start from the IGA. Directions available here.

Details: Paul's ride will be a B to C ride. Meet at 9:3oam.

Bell Rock Parking Lot Directions: Take the Highway 179 exit that leads to Sedona. Seven miles in you will encounter not Sedona proper but The Village of Oak Creek (VOC).
    Travel through the round abouts until you get near the last light, a street called Bell Rock Blvd. Just before the light, on the right side of the road you will see Absolute Bikes and an Ace Hardware Store. BUT, instead of turning right into that little parking lot, directly across on the left side of the road is a big parking lot, which y'all should use. There is a two story strip mall building there. The one business I really like there is a Thai restaurant. Park the car. From there, once all geared up, carefully cross the road to the Circle K. From there ride up to Bike n Bean. Its a few hundred yards from the Circle K. No need to purchase a silly red rock pass. Save your $5 for pizza and beer.

Post Ride Party at Bike n Bean in Sedona. Free Beer and $10 pizza.
    We will be meeting at Bike n Bean again this year for the after party. Bike n Bean is once again buying our beer! The only thing is that we have to buy the pizza, so bring some cash! Bike n Bean has been sponsoring the AZSF for years, please do your part by supporting them with merchandise, coffee, and passing the good word along to everyone.

If you need a place for lodging in Sedona, check the FAQs link above or check out this link.

Free Camping will be available at Beaver Flats south of town both nights (Friday and Saturday night). We will be driving up from Phoenix after the party, setting up camp, and doing the Sedona rides the next day. Since BCT is close to Sedona, we will be finishing off the Oak Creek keg that Bike n Bean has given us (remember to support our sponsors), then going back to camp to continue the social/happy hour. All parties are welcome; there is plenty of space. After turning on Bear Flats, make your first left. A map will be posted and I will have copies for those interested in camping.

Saturday, March 21: Tucson
    Tucson A/B: -Brown Mountain

Ride Lead: Steve

Details: Brown Mnt loop from G-5 Parking lot. A/B ride with fun single track and some steep climbs and technical downhill. FIP 9:00.
    Directions to trail head: West on Speedway which turns into Gates Pass Road. Go over the pass and look for the second parking pullout on the right.

Sunday, March 22: Black Canyon
    This is going to be one of the biggest rides of the entire week. If you want to go with certain people during the ride, make sure to try to arrive early. We will start grouping the riders a little after 9pm. There is plenty of place to park, so you do not need to worry about parking. There is a post-ride gathering at Rock Springs about 200 yards from the trailhead. They are famous for two things: their amazing pies and very slow wait times, but the beer is cheap! Eat a little bit before the ride if you plan on waiting, or just come join us for beer. Bring some cash to make it easier to separate the checks if you plan on eating.

Black Canyon Trail: B and C rides
    Ride Leader: Chad, RobZona, Max, Tiffany(in anthem), DaveW (liteandfast), Jayem, and AKAmonkeybutt
    Start Location: BCT trail head at 9am for both the B ride C ride. We will split in groups and head off in intervals to avoid congestion. Rides will leave out from 9-930 depending on who is ready, so show up whenever you want (if you are faster, you should think about being early as to not be in one of the last groups). Rides depart every 5-10 minutes according to pace and speed. Bloody Marys will be available for anyone that needs help recovering from the night before (with some of my secret recovery medicine). T

Plan is to hook up during the ride with some of the groups, snacks at one of the river crossings. Depending on water level, you may have to get your feet wet. Plan accordingly.

Directions to BCT trail head…Directions: From Interstate 17, either direction; take exit 242 (Black Canyon City and Rock Springs), turn west, proceed to stop sign, turn north (right) on the frontage road, drive about 300 ft to the first road on the left, Warner Rd, and turn left. Drive about 1300 ft to the first cross road, turn right and proceed to the parking area on the right near the end of the road, about 400 ft.

Post-ride Food and Beer at Rock Springs.
    Sunday: Phoenix Goat Camp
    Ride Leader: CactusJoe--A Technical Ride
    Start location: at White Tanks

Updated 3/15/09
    Last edited by azepicriderandrunner; 03-16-2009 at 03:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick
    Krispy,

I'm leading an A-group down the Bugs to Bottom route (Bug Springs-Prison Camp-
    La Milagrosa). You should plan on joining in. There will be cameras strapped on.
    (Yes, you heard me. Strap-ons!)

This is, IMO, not the most technical ride of the fling. The short, 2 mile downhill section
    of Goat Camp is much tougher, technically. I'm here to tell you, I had a hell of a time
    descending that section. I walked the 50 foot long, Jack Hammer section. I wasn't wearing
    armor and I was clipped in and that ain't the right set-up for Goat Camp. GC begs for flat
    pedals and a Storm Trooper suit.

Bugs to Bottom is a much longer route with more descending than climbing. It is, after all,
    a shuttle run.

Oh, there are some technical sections, but nothing as steep and baby-head laden, wheel
    sucking, continual, controlled crashing like some of the sections of that 2 mile descent on
    Goat Camp. Oh, ok. There's one area I call the "boulder field" on Miligrosa. Watch this
    old video to see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcXVs86Uk0Q

Still, not as tough as a couple of GC sections.

Bugs to Bottom is one of the best routes in the Tucson area. You'll absolutely LOVE it!
    There are 3 tough climbs, but the rest is sweet bliss.

See you Thursday morning at Le Buzz?
    Shall i bring an ol' friend for you? Mr. T is riding shotgun!

great info Evil as always. I'm crankin'' 38lbs so maybe i'll get a motor for the climbs. If you're saying that on GC and I know how well you ride...dang...I'll tuck tall and run. PM me your number if you will pleaseee! At least I'll have it for the week.

Le Buzz has some strong coffee right?

biz

Chilling out
    le buzz will give you the buzz.

Tucson, AZ
    le buzz will give you the buzz.
    and bike n bean, they make some killer cafe

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Of course I'm coming out to play, too! Still so happy with the Pivot Mach 5 that I don't see a new MTB anywhere in my future.

Tucson, AZ
    AZSF t-shirts are done! CatZ will be passing them out during the fling/pre-flings, so find her during the event (she will be passing them out before and after rides, and at the post-ride parties). Women's shirts are black and pink lettering! yeah!

Kathleen in AZ

DurtGurl's Sedona B- Ride

Here's my plan for Sedona. It's just too darn hard for me to get myself and all my guests up to Sedona for a 9AM start so I am banking on the fact that some others might welcome later start option

Meet time will be 10 am with a 10:20ish departure.

Meeting place is the IGA parking lot: Take I-17 to SR-179 to the Village of Oak Creek. Soon after you enter the town, you will turn left at one of the round-abouts onto Verde Valley Rd and IGA will be on your right.

Route: Verde Valley road to Buddha Beach to Templeton to Mystic to Broken Arrow to Sub Rx to Chix Pt to Llama to Bell Rock to pizza at B&B... the yellow route on Dale's map.

Ride will be ~21 miles but will be at a relaxed pace. I'd rate it "B-".

mtbr member
    Here's my plan for Sedona.

Meeting place is the IGA parking lot.

In.

I think we're heading up on Friday (after work, that is) and getting a room up there.

Pancakes for b-fast.

See you at IGA.
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

AZ Biker Chick
    Nov 2006

Wed Margaraita Ride - T100

Im sure I missed a thread, sorry for the repeat - what time is the NorthMtn - Non-hairball ride meeting?

A few of us are going to dial in.

Quote Originally Posted by goldbergace
    Im sure I missed a thread, sorry for the repeat - what time is the NorthMtn - Non-hairball ride meeting?

A few of us are going to dial in.
    Meeting at Aunt Chilada's at about 6:30, same time/place generally as the hairball guys. Feel free to PM me this afternoon (before 5:30) and I'll shoot you my cell if you want, so we can be sure to zero in. I may got a little early and grab a beverage or 2 pre-ride.....
    Salvation Outdoor

mtbr member
    Here's my plan for Sedona. It's just too darn hard for me to get myself and all my guests up to Sedona for a 9AM start so I am banking on the fact that some others might welcome later start option

Meeting place is the IGA parking lot: Take I-17 to SR-179 to the Village of Oak Creek. Soon after you enter the town, you will turn left at one of the round-abouts onto Verde Valley Rd and IGA will be on your right.

Route: Verde Valley road to Buddha Beach to Templeton to Mystic to Broken Arrow to Sub Rx to Chix Pt to Llama to Bell Rock to pizza at B&B... the yellow route on Dale's map.

Ride will be ~21 miles but will be at a relaxed pace. I'd rate it "B-".
    I'd like to latch on to this route, but be there at 9 to see how many people there are that might want to start early to break up the crowd. I'm worried that parking might be scarce by bike and Bean so I like the IGA location.

If there are no starters ready to ride at 9:35 I'll just join the B- ride starting 10:20.

Chad, can we change the starting location to IGA?
    -Bob

Saucy Size
    Cool, K and I are basically running the same loop! It's hard to beat that one.

I'm still aiming for an 0930 exit, but it might just end up all mooshed together.

p.

Tucson, AZ
    Anyone in Phoenix interested in housing two Californians on Thursday night? PM if you are interested in hooking up some fellow mtbers.

dirt debutaunte
    All SoMo XC rides are now leaving out at 8:00am in the morning. If you are a rider leader and would rather leave at 9, please send me a PM.
    Aw MAN! I was really hoping to get in a couple of shuttles and a run down National before meeting the xc groups for the climb at 9am!
    I had this 2-bike-switch all planned out in my mind.
    Bomb. Shuttle. Bomb. Climb. Bomb. Shuttle. Bomb.

Now I might have to make hard choices.

Hey folks, adding a C/C ride in Sedona on Saturday. Gonna figure out the route over the next day or so. It may still have some tricky stuff but we'll keep it to a pace where its fine to walk it and you'll still keep up. I promised my GF a ride that she can do with minimal fear, or if fear, she won't get dropped. Feel free to join or pass along this info to anyone who may no a little intimidated by the other rides.
    Salvation Outdoor

Free Coffee Friday AM

Hey folks, I'm gonna try to show up early at the Pima ramadas on Friday and we're gonna have some CrankJunkie Coffee available for a pre-ride jolt, so no need to stop at Starbucks (ewww) on the way. Brought to you by...well, Crankjunkie coffee, of course.

(if this is technically spam, my bad, just a heads up)
    Salvation Outdoor

Yo, looks like the Friday rides have moved up to 8am. FYI, Bigdudes B- ride probably won't roll out until about 8:30. we'll let all the highly skilled folks get out of the way...and then embarrass them when we pass them on the fire road!!
    Salvation Outdoor

Tucson, AZ
    Yo, looks like the Friday rides have moved up to 8am. FYI, Bigdudes B- ride probably won't roll out until about 8:30. we'll let all the highly skilled folks get out of the way...and then embarrass them when we pass them on the fire road!!
    I don't see my group rolling out til about then also. I added your C ride to the sedona stuff. Thank you again for volunteering.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Are the Friday SOMO start times moved up?????

Tucson, AZ
    8am due to the heat.

Saucy Size
    Hey folks, I'm gonna try to show up early at the Pima ramadas on Friday and we're gonna have some CrankJunkie Coffee available for a pre-ride jolt, so no need to stop at Starbucks (ewww) on the way. Brought to you by...well, Crankjunkie coffee, of course.

(if this is technically spam, my bad, just a heads up)
    It's spam but it's coffee spam, so I'll turn a blind eye to it. I expect a triple-shot macchiato for my troubles. See you for the B- ride tomorrow, hopefully, assuming I can get up in time (long-ass tough ride in Sedonuts today left me wiped).

p.

Happy trails

DurtGurl's Sedona B- Ride

I'm heading up saturday morning.i've somehow talked myself in to riding the SS on this outing.See ya at IGA
    Aaron

Tucson, AZ
    Tucson Bars on Bikes went down with bike polo on the UA mall, the buffet running out of PBR, and pizza at No Anchovies. Good times.

See everyone at 8ish at SoMo!

wretch
    Tucson Bars on Bikes went down with bike polo on the UA mall, the buffet running out of PBR, and pizza at No Anchovies. Good times.

Wish I coulda come down for that. I worked at Dobbs for 3 years and spent many a night at the Buff. . . hasn't been the same since they banned smoking.

"Yabut"

Let's not forget about Chad almost being thrown out of The Buffet, for playing "Dancing Queen" by Abba. It was a good time.
    ~Aaron~

www.CosmicRaces.com

mtbr member
    May 2007

heading south

A few of us Flag folks will be heading South about 1pm today, will most likely be camping out on Beaver Flats road,,,,,,,,,,,,never camped on the left side but we might check it out,,,,,,,,,,,,,,looking forward to sweating in the heat saturday in the red durtness of Sedona
    mark g

Combining Old and Bold

Reprinted from Tom's Thumb post

DrHog's AZSF Sunday Ride--McDowell Mtns--Tom's Thumb

Here are some more specifics for Sunday's ride:

What:12 mile Out & Back ascending McDowell's to Tom's Thumb on newly opened trail.
    When: 7 AM meetup, 7:15 FIP, planned ride time around 3 hours
    Level: This is an A or B level ride due to elevation gain. Tech challenge is minimal, though switchbacks are pretty tight.
    Where: Ride starts from the DC Ranch Village Health Club and Spa, SE corner of parking lot near the trailhead (farthest from the gym). See map for details.
    Recommended Equipment: Your lightweight bike--long travel not required, HT is OK. Singlespeed discouraged due to 12% gradients. Lots of water, some food, and a camera. Body armor unnecessary (unless you go flying off the trail).
    Trail: We'll depart from the Village, proceed Horseshoe to Gateway Loop to Windgate Pass to Tom's Thumb connector and then Tom's Thumb to the summit. Return along same route. See previous posts for description and some photos.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=500978

101 to Village.jpg

Village Detail.jpg
    Last edited by DrHog; 03-20-2009 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Incomplete

Thanks to azicriderandrunner, cactusjoe, dirtgurl, et al, for putting this all together and inspiring everyone to ride for 4-5 days solid. My 1st year participating and I was amazed at the number of folks and the places folks came from. I rode with dudes from Utah, NM, CA, Minnesota, Texas, and probably other places I can't remember right now. The week also reminded me how much I liked trails I hadn't ridden in a while, and exposed me to a lot of new ones (btw, BCT rocks).
    It was also a great pleasure to meet some of the folks I've corresponded with here over the past year or so who I've never met in person(and be humbled by your riding skills). I've probably put at least 10 faces to screen names in the past 5 days, maybe more. On top of that I met a lot of great folks from a lot of other places I wouldn't mind riding.
    Overall, darn fine week of riding!!! Hope everyone enjoyed it as much as I did.
    Last edited by bigdudecycling; 03-22-2009 at 04:53 PM.
    Salvation Outdoor

Chilling out
    absolutely agreed bigdude, absolutely.

special thanks to Chad and DG for Extreme Hospitality - above and beyone.

Gary from OH, please heal well, don't start hitting the weight machines until your collarbone is ready, kay?

DirtDIva from CA, you are SO the rock-rockin' gal, very cool.

The new stuff I got to "ride" this year just leaves me wanting more ... Holbert ... Alta ... so challenging ... so tasty ... takes me back to the lightweight 'tech in Austin that I started riding on years ago that has led me to love the ChUnK.

Now I just need to start planning my '10 return, and grow some larger (*&(*&*^ ... :P

I gotta say, I'm kinda sad to see this thread drop down the list after being a sticky for so long.....until next year.....
    Salvation Outdoor

pedaller
    ...and so it goes....

But before it dies for good...anyone have any extra shirts???
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

Members who have read this thread: 0