Official 2016-2017 Snow Season Thread

Started blowing snow last night:
    Official 2016-2017 Snow Season Thread-blowing-snow.jpg

Treeline (11,500ft ASL) forecast for this week:

Official 2016-2017 Snow Season Thread-capture.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    [QUOTE=Maadjurguer;12899986]Started blowing snow last night:

Checking in to say.....I can't freaking wait! I'm so fired up on having a new chair, this is going to be rad!

Just to get some local video on here this is my main season edit from last year in case anyone missed it.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    Started blowing snow last night:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blowing snow.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	1103309

Treeline (11,500ft ASL) forecast for this week:

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	1103308
    That's a shitty way to do it, usually wait until a small storm has blanketed the slopes or dusted them, then turn on the snow machines. Otherwise they have a lot more work to do. Maybe that was just a function test?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Meatbomb
    The dead indians are turning over in their graves....

The .05 percent
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    The dead indians are turning over in their graves....
    Why? Last time I checked the Rez line was 30 miles outside Flagstaff and The AZ Snowbowl lies within the border of the Coconino National Forest which is under the jurisdiction of the Department of the Interior.
    Oh Maybe I know why, your use of the term Indians is not PC... Have a wonderful day.
    Make Flagstaff RAD Again.

My other ride is your mom
    ^^^Children pauh-leeze.....the universe cares not.

Official 2016-2017 Snow Season Thread-static1.squarespace.jpg

One of my favorite shots from last year up on Telemark

Folks,
    KPAC is putting on a FREE Intro to Avalanche clinic at the Flagstaff REI. It will be on Wednesday, December 14 at 530pm, details here:

https://www.rei.com/events/introduct...agstaff/160221

parenting for gnarness
    what are the details on this new chair?
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    what are the details on this new chair?
    The new chair is so bad ass.

Bike park coming soon? I sure hope so.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    The new chair is so bad ass.

Bike park coming soon? I sure hope so.
    Locals only chair?
    RaisingA will not reveal
    Stuck on Agassi

mtbr member
    Locals only chair?
    RaisingA will not reveal
    Stuck on Agassi
    Hardly. Snowblow wants your money. Come on up! 6 min ride for 6 instead of 15 or even 20 for 3. Or, on a powder day every other chair loaded for two because of the bullwheel slipping.

Yeah, each run off the new chair is roughly 1500 ft vert...takes 7.5min right now to go up and they are not at full speed yet. You can get 5-6 runs inside of an hour for 7500-9000vert descent....all you loose with the 6-pack is an additional 500vert off of Agassiz....of course...you also loose White Lightning and the trees off of the Bowl catwalk....but on a non powder day, I'll take the bulk vert per hour over an additional 500ft of rimed treeline ice rink.

mtbr member
    Ha, no doubt. Ridge can get quite Sketchy in between storms. Trivia tidbit for the day. Phil Mickelson broke his femur crashing on Ridge in 1994.

^woah! Rockman trivia is the best! Mickelson Breaks Leg Skiing - NYTimes.com

I'll buy you a rootbeer at HoB mid-day sometime soon if you wanna hold down a barstool and talk trails, geology and whatnot....got a confirmation that my application passed the first step with that committee.

parenting for gnarness
    ^woah! Rockman trivia is the best! Mickelson Breaks Leg Skiing - NYTimes.com

I'll buy you a rootbeer at HoB mid-day sometime soon if you wanna hold down a barstool and talk trails, geology and whatnot....got a confirmation that my application passed the first step with that committee.
    **** Phil Mickelson. He found a willing prison-sex ***** in Scottsdale Mayor Jim Lane.

Scottsdale fights lawsuit related to golf club

Chollaball....the Che Guevara of NoSco Golf Courses!!!!!

Official 2016-2017 Snow Season Thread-castro-che-guevara-reuters.jpg

mtbr member
    Absolutely. And I hope that resource advisory committee thing comes through. One recent development is the Flagstaff Ranger District now seems open to the idea of hiring outside help for NEPA whereas they previously insisted on doing it in-house. That was a c*ck block on som many fronts. And we are looking at pushing the Trail Fund better and soliciting more input on how to spend that money.

So, what's up with this progressive weather pattern? The storms are not digging. Please Ullr, more over water trajectory. Models are hinting at something juicy Dec 10 or so. We need some atmospheric river cha cha.

Today was kinda nice in the morning....then as the day has progressed, it started coming down....beautiful stellar dendrites. Fine turns to be made skiers left on Lower Bowl this morning...about 6 inches of windblown that no one would touch for some strange reason.
    Official 2016-2017 Snow Season Thread-image2.jpg

Where did winter go? There is hope in about a weeks time for a colder trough and multi-day snow, but confidence is low. Backcountry skiing has been reported, but pretty sketch with logs and rocks and a fully faceted snowpack which just gives way.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Well I'm getting excited!

National Weather Service

got out into the IB early this week on an overnight/2-day trip to investigate the warm event we had on and around the 16th. Surprisingly, there appeared to be a strengthening of the pack in the aspects we poked around in (S, N and E on Softcore Ridge). However, we now have an ice/facet/ice sandwich which is going to be buried with this new snow coming down. This will be a deeply buried persistent layer for a while and is something to be cognizant of going forward into the season.

Official 2016-2017 Snow Season Thread-1.jpg
    I so wanna hit that south facing couloir on Hardcore Ridge, shown here on the sky line about an inch or so left of the right-hand border of the pic!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    That's a nice line.

We didn't find that ice layer in Flagstaff Bowl. There was a couple inches of more condensed slab from wet snow and temp variations but no ice crust like on the opposite side on our skin up from Snowbowl which I'll add, was sketchy AF!

Found some decent, funky turns in Temptations last Friday....caution was the word of the day with isolated cross-loaded pockets at or near-treeline failing on top of the JAN 3-5 storm layer...namely the final wind event out of the North on the 5th. This pretty much made it a terrain consequence management problem for us. Mini-golf lines are starting to be more the rule this season with widespread variability and a much more complex snowpack than we are used to (multiple crust/facet sandwiches with complex intra-storm variation).

Having said that....mini-golf lines can kill you just the same as a big, committing line....so be smart and stay savy, review your alternate goals and bail options with your partners, and pull the plug if it don't feel right....there is always plenty of stoke in the bar.

Official 2016-2017 Snow Season Thread-temptations.jpg
    Photo from Carlos

parenting for gnarness
    ^ stole those pants from the road crew on 180.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yes sir, I'm playing it super safe this season and I'm more than happy to pull the cord if things aren't feeling right. That being said I haven't experienced any conditions that scare me too much on <35* but those steeper loaded lines are scaring me right now.
    It seems like if it goes it's going to want to go big.

Being buried by an avalanche straight up sucks. This vid gives me anxiety.

Elitest thrill junkie
    ^ stole those pants from the road crew on 180.
    I think I have those pants too.

Practiced using the beacon and probing for bodies last weekend in a class. Was a good experience.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

parenting for gnarness
    Hey pants-people, what do you think of Snowbowl this Sunday for family riding? Fun groomer day w easy rentals, or deathtrap of over-humanity?

^get your rentals in town to make it easier and less of a deathtrap of humanity. I'll be tied up all weekend teaching a Level I class, so I won't be able to join you.

The .05 percent
    Sucks that the bowl is nor getting any snow. Prob just better off snowplaying. No reason to go up.

^or go heliskiing on the peaks!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    ^or go heliskiing on the peaks!!!
    My heli run from Friday. Big Ups to KPHA, Thanks boys for the memories!

mtbr member
    My 30th year skiing snowblow and by all accounts the last 4 days stack up against any of the other storm cycles that I can remember. Amazing.

The heli-skiing operation was booked but had fun meadow skipping with my daughter. Cute smile at the end and even more so for me knowing how much those braces cost

mtbr member

No skis for me, I was on a fat bike but it was a blast

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bones2 View Post
    No skis for me, I was on a fat bike but it was a blast
    Did you say bike? Paul showing how it's done on lift line

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Enough shoveling! I want to ski. So we went to Flying Dutchman and then up to the B24 wreck site. Amazing powder. Comfortable temperatures. Light winds. Blue sky.

Powder. And it's all ours!

Landing strut covered in rime.

mtbr member
    I know it's not skiing or anything, but my wife, daughter, and I are heading up to Flagstaff tomorrow to find a place to sled. We've been up there before and had gone to Wing Mountain. It was nice, but I'm wondering if any of you could recommend somewhere else to go sledding. Thanks for the input.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

The .05 percent
    Would recommend the sledding area at Fort Tuthill. You will avoid the traffic on 180, and not get hated on for having one of those shitty plastic sleds that the valley faithful have been so lovingly donating to our forest as a neon decoration. They are on-line have food and a fire pit. Do yourself a favor and check them out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj View Post
    Would recommend the sledding area at Fort Tuthill. You will avoid the traffic on 180, and not get hated on for having one of those shitty plastic sleds that the valley faithful have been so lovingly donating to our forest as a neon decoration. They are on-line have food and a fire pit. Do yourself a favor and check them out.
    Absolutely agree! Stay south of the city and avoid traffic, get on the snow sooner, and get to stay longer.

Flagstaff Snow Park at Fort Tuthill provides you with a sledding tube as part of your entry fee. I think their business plan is a nod to how future snow play areas might operate.

Flagstaffsnowpark LLC

-db-

parenting for gnarness

Been getting decent coverage this past week; in the press and on the mountain.

mtbr member
    Been getting decent coverage this past week; in the press and on the mountain.
    Your too modest. Strong work. Avalanche danger rises with welcome snowpack | Local | azdailysun.com

Hopefully it will translate to more funding.

It's too bad more of the clueless noobs don't pay attention and sad the Sheriff and S&R has to close access from Agassiz to the Kachina Peaks Wilderness. Not sure that it's technically legal and penalizes those who know how to handle themselves in the backcountry but understand their position.

I had two "courtesy patrollers" follow me out the gate without asking like I was going to lead them. Needless to say, they didn't keep up and I heard one of them ended up going all the way down first gulley. Not much fun in there but at least they didn't panic and pull out the phone and dial 911.

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    I had two "courtesy patrollers" follow me out the gate without asking like I was going to lead them. Needless to say, they didn't keep up and I heard one of them ended up going all the way down first gulley. Not much fun in there but at least they didn't panic and pull out the phone and dial 911.
    i was about two chairs behind you and your daughter on monday and saw you head out the gate. almost jumped in with you, too. but i'd already ducked the tape a little further down ridge earlier in the morning and found the conditions to be pretty tricky. did they improve further down into the meadows? the lines in the lee toward bowlside, even the perfectly spaced lightning trees, worked me on monday.

tuesday, however, was easily one of my top 10 days for the last 30 some years, i think. wednesday was gorgeous, too. windless, bluebird. if you like that kind of thing...

i think we're in the donut-hole for a while now, though. is the dreaded feb drought upon us again?
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockychrysler View Post
    i was about two chairs behind you and your daughter on monday and saw you head out the gate. almost jumped in with you, too. but i'd already ducked the tape a little further down ridge earlier in the morning and found the conditions to be pretty tricky. did they improve further down into the meadows? the lines in the lee toward bowlside, even the perfectly spaced lightning trees, worked me on monday.

tuesday, however, was easily one of my top 10 days for the last 30 some years, i think. wednesday was gorgeous, too. windless, bluebird. if you like that kind of thing...

i think we're in the donut-hole for a while now, though. is the dreaded feb drought upon us again?
    No, not really. All that moist air out in front of storm #3 with some wind made for some tough conditions. I like wind buff but too challenging for me. I'm hitting Injection Tues at AZ Bone and Joint next week so a little cortisone and good as new.

Donut hole is right. Back to that blocking pattern over AK and the Bering Sea. That's supposed to retrograde west which sounds sexy but will shift the jet back to the Pacific NW. Guess it's their turn.

It's going to be super busy in the backcountry this weekend for sure.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The back country is blown the F out now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The back country is blown the F out now.
    RA -- is that an actual observation? Or based on what we all know probably happened?

We were planning another day in the backcountry today. Had a great day on Wednesday (see above). After looking at forecast models and forecast soundings I expected strong northeast winds. And that's what we got. So, never mind. Some other day.

By the way, the winds were the product of exceptionally strong high pressure to our north and low pressure to the south. Pressure readings around the southwest tomorrow morning will be in record territory. Breath deeply. There's some extra air out there...

-db-

Watched Aggasiz stream snow into the atmosphere all day today from my office. Cirque has prolly gone sastrugi. South side is gonna be loaded. Check the updated summary because treeline and just below on south to west could be sketch with some wind slab. "Whoomph there it is!"

mtbr member
    Watched Aggasiz stream snow into the atmosphere all day today from my office. Cirque has prolly gone sastrugi. South side is gonna be loaded. Check the updated summary because treeline and just below on south to west could be sketch with some wind slab. "Whoomph there it is!"
    Speaking of southside and wind loading, found this vid in the archives from Monte Vista aka Rick's Run. Similar wind event out of the N-NE is what loaded the cornice that day in 1995. I wouldn't have gone there today perhaps but man it's a sweet line. Still lots of debris and snapped off tree trunks in it from the avy some 22 years ago.

Woah^ Here is me 3 days earlier skiing off Humphries into Abineau, at dusk over an inversion layer which glowed red like blood. The kachinas took it out of me a year later for my safe passage I think.....

Official 2016-2017 Snow Season Thread-img_4976.jpg

Not sure which is creepier.... south side then, now or my other transgressions....all give me pause right now....because that was the last Big Big year.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info about Fort Tuthill. Fun day today, despite everyone from the tri-state area being there today.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

Winter is over, spring corn season is upon us, crampon and piolet use is highly advised for the foreseeable future with daytime temps at treeline above freezing. I'm sure we will get some more blasts here and there, but I also just bought a snowthrower which arrived a week after the last big powder punch...so we may very well be rolling some trails in Flagtown here in a few weeks. Thanks a lot.....Jeye-nah!

Official 2016-2017 Snow Season Thread-capture.jpg

4flagtv.com came out and spent a few hours us to see what the Avalanche Center does....check it out:

Avalanche Awareness With KPAC - 4FlagTV.com
    Last edited by Maadjurguer; 02-08-2017 at 05:29 PM.

slower than you
    It's fat bike season again on Schultz Creek!

It's fatbike season again! #fatbike #snowbike #surly #pugsley #surlypugsley

A video posted by R Chrysler (@rockychrysler) on

"May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yes, get that trail packed down!

The .05 percent
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Yes, get that trail packed down!
    Yes, all you fat bike and plus size people need to get to work and pack put all xc trails. I want to pedal Elden on my ss.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I've seen people around town geared up on mountain bikes (not fat bikes ) a few times now. Any ridable trails in Flagstaff that we don't know of?
    2009 Stumpjumper Comp HT.
    An old Trek 820 ST.

^I just assumed they were heading to/from Sedona....can't imagine anything is really good to go for anything except fat bikes right now. I imagine you could do some normal mtn bike rides on some of the FS roads here and there, but it sounds like more of a pain than fun (too much mud).

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    ^ That's what I thought, but then again, seeing people fully kitted riding their bikes around town in a couple of occasions made my rethink my assumptions! More reasons to make the trip to Sedona

mtbr member
    The models are really picking on another atmospheric river cha cha late next week ~ Feb 18. Storm track may develop further west and split south into socal with a strong jet. Could be very wet.

Official 2016-2017 Snow Season Thread-814prcp_new.gif

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The models are really picking on another atmospheric river cha cha late next week ~ Feb 18. Storm track may develop further west and split south into socal with a strong jet. Could be very wet.

Name:	814prcp_new.gif 
Views:	33 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	1120353
    Oh really?

I'm not done with skiing so I'm hopeful.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    This weekends forecast has been upgraded, up to a foot at treeline by Monday!

We ain't done!

Lots of wind with this one

mtbr member
    Lots of wind with this one
    Sounds like more wind than precip. I'm not holding out much hope on this one. Forecast has a moisture-starved overland trajectory before wobbling along the Arizona/MX border.

Central and northern Sierra have had more than their share. Send it our way please. Besides, there's not much room left in the reservoirs. Keep an eye on this one. Not good when you can't make room in the reservoir and another big bad wolf atmospheric river is coming to town. Oroville Dam spillway hole will continue to erode, state official says | The Sacramento Bee

slower than you
    Sounds like more wind than precip. I'm not holding out much hope on this one. Forecast has a moisture-starved overland trajectory before wobbling along the Arizona/MX border.

Central and northern Sierra have had more than their share. Send it our way please. Besides, there's not much room left in the reservoirs. Keep an eye on this one. Not good when you can't make room in the reservoir and another big bad wolf atmospheric river is coming to town. Oroville Dam spillway hole will continue to erode, state official says | The Sacramento Bee
    latest pw looks a little more encouraging than the scenario you reference above, i think. at least for the north kaibab. snowlevels still look to be quite high at onset, however.

don't need more rain. my backyard's starting to look like a miniature version of that floodgate.

mtbr member
    latest pw looks a little more encouraging than the scenario you reference above, i think. at least for the north kaibab. snowlevels still look to be quite high at onset, however.

don't need more rain. my backyard's starting to look like a miniature version of that floodgate.
    Perhaps but the models are still jumping around. Latest QPF does look better and maybe it will add up over a couple of days. Weather Prediction Center (WPC) Home Page
    Official 2016-2017 Snow Season Thread-day-1-3-qpf.jpg

My interest is still on the event a week or so out. Could be juicy.

mtbr member
    Oh yeah, 6 days out.

Official 2016-2017 Snow Season Thread-atmospheric-river-plume.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Oh yeah, 6 days out.

Name:	Atmospheric river plume.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	184.1 KB 
ID:	1120913
    That's looking sweet!

I'm actually really excited about this one this weekend. A little warm at first and finishing up cold 8 to 10 inches is exactly what we need in the back country. A little refresh would be perfect so we can continue hitting some steep stuff out in the IB.

mtbr member
    That's looking sweet!

I'm actually really excited about this one this weekend. A little warm at first and finishing up cold 8 to 10 inches is exactly what we need in the back country. A little refresh would be perfect so we can continue hitting some steep stuff out in the IB.
    Looking more like an angry inch to me but I hope your right.

The jet is strong with the next one. Looks like an unsettled pattern might linger as well.

slower than you
    Looking more like an angry inch to me but I hope your right.

The jet is strong with the next one. Looks like an unsettled pattern might linger as well.
    Official 2016-2017 Snow Season Thread-97ep48iwbg_fill.gif

mtbr member
    Did somebody say pineapples? Here comes two and maybe even three Atmospheric River events to the western US, the first of which is aimed squarely at southern Cal and AZ. Loop of model images

GFS and the EC models seem to be in synch on this one.

Official 2016-2017 Snow Season Thread-euro.jpg

slower than you
    Did somebody say pineapples? Here comes two and maybe even three Atmospheric River events to the western US, the first of which is aimed squarely at southern Cal and AZ. Loop of model images

GFS and the EC models seem to be in synch on this one.
    uncertainties abound... we've seen this scenario before.

mtbr member
    uncertainties abound... we've seen this scenario before.
    So you're saying there's a chance?

The models are in better agreement than yesterday. This one is going to Sonora. The GFS 500 mb forecast for Saturday. Dang.

Official 2016-2017 Snow Season Thread-gfs-15-feb-vt-5-pm-18-feb.jpg

mtbr member
    my god snowbowl has a 100+ inch base and its basically early March... (maybe this is old news.. not sure)... anyone have a prediction on when the last day they will be open this spring ?

mtbr member
    A rare sighting of Raisingarizona in his natural habitat.

The Snow Leopard.
    Official 2016-2017 Snow Season Thread-7-meadows-josh.jpg

A pretty decent day by all accounts.

^a pretty decent season by all accounts.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Wish I could have made it up there yesterday or today. Going up Sunday.

FYI, There is a ridiculous deal going on at Snow Bowl $29 tickets, $10 rentals and $10 lessons. Plus they give you $15 credit for food/what not. I am going up Sunday with the kids and maybe the following weekend too. limited qty and tickets from 3/4 to 3/26 (includes weekends). Must purchase online 48 hours before you go.

https://www.arizonasnowbowl.com/springbreak

Descended off of Agassiz yesterday into Monte Vista (Ricks Line) and found some nice, creamy high speed GS turns midway down (not hippy turns). Above treeline in the start zone was rime cookies with a few powder pillows, but once in the path things softened up. Once down in the Aspen below, things got a bit manky with a manageable sun-crust...and then lower down transitioned into a nasty sun-crust over rotten snow to the ground....but good coverage all the way out to Freidlan...just gotta lean back and water ski on the way out.

mtbr member
    What's a hippy turn?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    What's a hippy turn?
    See above photo of the "Snow Leopard"

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Descended off of Agassiz yesterday into Monte Vista (Ricks Line) and found some nice, creamy high speed GS turns midway down (not hippy turns).
    I've started to really embrace the hippy turn run these last two years. In fact, if I'm on top of a powder filled Allisons I prefer linking perfect, even tight turns all the way down the gut. It's actually not that easy to do and it looks so cool! On some runs it just makes sense, especially after hiking pretty far and not skiing something real steep that really shoves gravity behind your back! Do you follow Spindrift65 on Instagram Maad? If not do so, I think he works for the Wasatch Avy center and he's the master of the hippy turn run!

mtbr member
    I've started to really embrace the hippy turn run these last two years. In fact, if I'm on top of a powder filled Allisons I prefer linking perfect, even tight turns all the way down the gut. It's actually not that easy to do and it looks so cool! On some runs it just makes sense, especially after hiking pretty far and not skiing something real steep that really shoves gravity behind your back! Do you follow Spindrift65 on Instagram Maad? If not do so, I think he works for the Wasatch Avy center and he's the master of the hippy turn run!
    I see. And all along I thought it was about laying down fresh tracks.

Not sure if it's the same guy but the Executive Director of the Utah Avalanche Center and I on Core Ridge back when making hippy turns was still cool.

Name:  Humphry Cirque_1995.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  25.1 KB

Now that it's not going to snow for another month I guess we can discuss what's a more dynamic skiing style: Big gs turns, straighlining or hippy turns.

Yep...I follow Spindrift65...wish I had that kind of time....someday! I have always embraced the hippy turn, except when one needs to tread lightly. Hippy turns punch deeper and thus, raise your danger up a bit if you have a deeper layer which is suspect. But if I'm gonna work for 4 hours to get some turns in, I aim to make as many, perfect turns as possible....that tickles my inner OCD.

As for my switch to GS turns....splitchimp and and I got some funky results which resulted in a poorly structured, moderate strength, low energy snowpack with some other non-conclusive results...in Monte V...so my aim was to not hippy turn and just cover it with gas and set it on fire.

https://youtu.be/Dyh5v_GizaY

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    ...And all along I thought it was about laying down fresh tracks...
    +1

It's been a fun week.
    Great skiing in Dutchman on Tuesday.
    Hero dirt in Sedona on Thursday.

-db-

mtbr member
    Yep...I follow Spindrift65...wish I had that kind of time....someday! I have always embraced the hippy turn, except when one needs to tread lightly. Hippy turns punch deeper and thus, raise your danger up a bit if you have a deeper layer which is suspect. But if I'm gonna work for 4 hours to get some turns in, I aim to make as many, perfect turns as possible....that tickles my inner OCD.

As for my switch to GS turns....splitchimp and and I got some funky results which resulted in a poorly structured, moderate strength, low energy snowpack with some other non-conclusive results...in Monte V...so my aim was to not hippy turn and just cover it with gas and set it on fire.

https://youtu.be/Dyh5v_GizaY
    Ha, I'm not buying what your selling. Maybe if you fall down perhaps but if the snowpack is that trigger sensitive to the type of turn you probably shouldn't be there anyway.

Just yanking your chain maad.

Quote Originally Posted by dbflg View Post
    +1

It's been a fun week.
    Great skiing in Dutchman on Tuesday.
    Hero dirt in Sedona on Thursday.

-db-
    Skiing on Tues and built a gap jump on Thursday!
    Official 2016-2017 Snow Season Thread-teacup_gap-jump.jpg

The .05 percent
    Ha, I'm not buying what your selling. Maybe if you fall down perhaps but if the snowpack is that trigger sensitive to the type of turn you probably shouldn't be there anyway.

Just yanking your chain maad.

Skiing on Tues and built a gap jump on Thursday!

Name:	teacup_gap jump.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	213.2 KB 
ID:	1124583
    Donde' estas?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    T-cup?

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=el poseur;13069258]

Yep, the reroute on Teacup. The gap jump is over the old section of trail. Should be pretty sweet.

Come on out this Saturday for the KPAC fundraiser...4 bands, raffle items, baked goods....some beers, burgers, a few laughs....will be a good time with great weather on the patio.

Official 2016-2017 Snow Season Thread-img_5054.jpg

The .05 percent
    [QUOTE=rockman;13069305]
    Quote Originally Posted by el poseur View Post

Yep, the reroute on Teacup. The gap jump is over the old section of trail. Should be pretty sweet.
    What are the chances of getting some of the sedona faithful to come up and help out on the heart trail reroute? ??

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Snow Bowl is having a Cardboard Derby on Saturday, March 11th from 5-7. Planning to build something with the kids and try our luck.

Will Snow Bowl be worth hiking next Sunday? I have never hiked up there.

Forgot this:

Official 2016-2017 Snow Season Thread-img_5055.jpg

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=sinatorj;13072904]
    What are the chances of getting some of the sedona faithful to come up and help out on the heart trail reroute? ??
    It would be nice if the two communities could form a bit better of a partnership. Speaking of that, Flag Biking lost a long-standing sponsor this year. New Belgium Brewing has decided to find other ways to engage with beer drinkers. Go figure, Flagstaff set the New Belgium record for 130+ kegs consumed in less than 6 hours during the Fat Tire Fest. They might still donate a cruiser bike to raffle for cash.

Anyhow, good luck with your fundraiser Maad. Seems a bit safer than beer although I bet plenty will get consumed. Do you guys want to do a table at the Bike and Gear Swap on Heritage Square to kick off Bike to Work Week?

^let me buy that root beer sometime soon to discuss trails and snow.....I'm in Springfield this week but back on Friday.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I went up and checked out the new alignment and saw your gap jump near the top of the climb below Coffee Pot Rock. The whole new alignment has been routed by Fat Tire Dave and except for about 40 yards of the old route, the whole new alignment has been totally Funned Up. At this point I would estimate the alignment is 25% complete so maybe in another month it will be ready to ride and hike. For some reason the builders decided to build the trail from the top down. I think if they had started from the bottom up, it would be over 50% completed. The bottom section would have been completed and the trail would be totally packed in from all the riders from the Sedona Festival who rode Tea Cup. Hopefully the Heart trail will be built from the bottom up and each 100 yard brushed section would be built to a finished condition, so it could be hiked or ridden to the next brushing location. It would also allow the builders to see how the new trail rides in the uphill direction.

mtbr member
    ^let me buy that root beer sometime soon to discuss trails and snow.....I'm in Springfield this week but back on Friday.
    Well, say hi to my alma mater. Good old West Springfield and I95. Yuk. Give a holler when your back in town. Or, maybe we can have that discussion on the BCT or Sedona while we wait for Ullr to return.

The GFS, ECMWF, Canadian and Ensemble models all keep a ridge over the SW in the long term and beyond. Must keep the faith, the snow season is not yet over.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The GFS, ECMWF, Canadian and Ensemble models all keep a ridge over the SW in the long term and beyond. Must keep the faith, the snow season is not yet over.
    I'm feeling completely satisfied. Later this week once the winds die we should go into a spring/MF cycle and then the touring will become super sweet again. We don't need any more huge dumpers really, some smaller rebuffs would be nice but those mega storms have been doing more damage than good at this point. I guess they have been good for south side laps on storm days but out in the basin and the alpine, not so much. One can only do so many south side laps before one needs something more exciting!

Season shred-it. The Blizzard of NAZ!

^nice edit.....correction....sweet edit! I'm looking forward to getting out of this nations capitol and back to some corn harvest.