"Oasis" on DC no more?- Mtbr.com
    Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006

"Oasis" on DC no more?

I didn't ride Desert Classic last week because I was stuck all week in Prescott, but this morning I noticed that the overgrown mesquite trees just north of the Water Tank had been chainsawed. I wonder what that homeowner that has been watering them since he moved in thinks of the work.... It is real easy to see into his awesome backyard now...

bobo

PS I wonder if the javelina will return to that spot now.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo_krkk_NIN
    I didn't ride Desert Classic last week because I was stuck all week in Prescott, but this morning I noticed that the overgrown mesquite trees just north of the Water Tank had been chainsawed. I wonder what that homeowner that has been watering them since he moved in thinks of the work.... It is real easy to see into his awesome backyard now...
    I'm a bit confuse on the location since north of the water tank is the mountain itself where no backyards are but I certainly hope you're not talking about the shady mesquite tunnel that is east of the tank that the trail runs through. Please tell me it isn't so! This would be a travesty as that's about the best place to change a flat catch some cool on a hot day. Can't think of any mesquite patches to the west of the tank, though I'm sure there are some off trail.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    You're both talking about the same spot. It's been cleaned up, but still has lots of shade.

Quote Originally Posted by bwilless
    You're both talking about the same spot. It's been cleaned up, but still has lots of shade.
    Whew! Cleaned up sounds a lot better than chainsawed. I pictured utter destruction with just little pieces of mesquite left on the trail.

Glad the shade remains.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit
    Whew! Cleaned up sounds a lot better than chainsawed. I pictured utter destruction with just little pieces of mesquite left on the trail.

Glad the shade remains.

With the title ""Oasis" on DC no more", no one can be blamed for thinking the worst.
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick
    With the title ""Oasis" on DC no more", no one can be blamed for thinking the worst.
    Perspective I guess. It has been cleaned up before, but this time there was work done was really substantial with a chainsaw as there are a couple of mesquite logs laying next to the trail. The "Oasis no more" comment more had to do with wondering if the irrigation lines that the homeowner closest to this spot had run into the Park had been removed.

A couple of months ago I ran into a rider there cleaning up the overhanging branches, I wonder if he came back with more firepower.

There still is shade in this spot, but probably about half as much as there was two weeks ago.

bobo

mtbr member
    It was really cleaned out, as there is still some shade. I saw another guy working on it the other day.

There is the advantage of being able to see oncoming riders or javelinas in the dark.

Privateer or park employee? Just wondering who's taking the initiative.

mtbr member
    Privateer or park employee? Just wondering who's taking the initiative.
    Didn't have a uniform on...so I'm not guessing it was park funded.

I also think that since the city (or state, no sure who's responsbile) won't even empty the &*%tank at the Pima parking lot bathroom, I would doubt they are funding the effort to clean up the trail to that degree.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cru_jones
    Didn't have a uniform on...so I'm not guessing it was park funded.

I also think that since the city (or state, no sure who's responsbile) won't even empty the &*%tank at the Pima parking lot bathroom, I would doubt they are funding the effort to clean up the trail to that degree.
    Ranger Brennan was out there Thursday morning about 6am taking pictures of the danger. She said that they got a call about the work being done and she was out there to check out the damage. The damage is pretty severe as of yesterday, a palo verde tree that is now only a trunk (no branches) and every shrub with in 10 feet of the trail is now at max 4" tall (yes inches).

I am wondering where it will stop or what the point is. It appears that the homeowner is doing the work as I noticed what appeared to be garbage can tracks from his/her gate into the Park. I also wonder if they will stop. I wonder if the point is to remove the undergrowth to keep the javelina and there stench away. That is the only thing that makes sense.

Bob

mtbr member
    I always assumed the homeowners property was just to his wall, but maybe it extends past?

I would hope it's not because the homeowner was complaining about the animals...who where here hundreds of years before they were!!

Kind of like people who buy a house next to a train track or airport, then sue the city because it's too loud.

Meatbomb
    I'll assume that if the rangers were investigating then it's not private property. Did they plan to contact the home owner?

I'd be pretty sure that his/her property stops at the fence line. This type of arrogance and unsanctioned trail work scolds my onions. Nothing much worse than seeing some of your favorite obstacles made "easy". This isn't much different. If the owner has a problem with javelina, I see no issue with the PUBLIC helping him/her come up with a reasonable solution for their PUBLIC land issue. I hope Ranger Brennan took pics of those trash can tracks going into their yard. The owner has to accept the consequences of the environment in which they chose to live. I'd be liable if I went to the park next to my house and started chopping up trees. Like the airport people, reminds me of those that moved into new apartments/houses in Gilbert then complained about the smell from the dairy farm next door.

A plethora of pinatas
    Is this homeowner the same person that created the "oasis" by watering the area in the first place? I have seen him several times spraying the area with a hose from his backyard.
    Marty

Quote Originally Posted by mcoplea
    Is this homeowner the same person that created the "oasis" by watering the area in the first place? I have seen him several times spraying the area with a hose from his backyard.
    We reap what we sow. Literally, here. Sounds a little schizophrenic. Unless its some sort of neighbor battle.

Meatbomb
    or a new home owner .

maybe we need to send the fat lady that craps on the bench to pay him a visit

mtbr member
    I'd be pretty sure that his/her property stops at the fence line. This type of arrogance and unsanctioned trail work scolds my onions. Nothing much worse than seeing some of your favorite obstacles made "easy". This isn't much different. If the owner has a problem with javelina, I see no issue with the PUBLIC helping him/her come up with a reasonable solution for their PUBLIC land issue. I hope Ranger Brennan took pics of those trash can tracks going into their yard. The owner has to accept the consequences of the environment in which they chose to live. I'd be liable if I went to the park next to my house and started chopping up trees. Like the airport people, reminds me of those that moved into new apartments/houses in Gilbert then complained about the smell from the dairy farm next door.
    Wednesday morning the Javelina were still there well after sunrise. I think that they were chewing on the newly-cut trees.

I think that's what's going on is a taking of public property by private owners. If you go out onto the street there you'll notice no parking signs in both directions, to prevent access to the park by the road to the water tank and through the vacant lot. (I investigated this street as a way to bring my family into the park as an alternative to War Paint or Corona de Las Lomas schools.)

Maybe I'm wrong. Perhaps they just want a better view of us mountain bikers.
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

vmb
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

My $.02

I ride DC 3-4 times per week and have been doing so for the last 10 years. I can say with certainty the oasis is there due to the efforts of the property owner (I have observed the landscapers many times bringing the hoses from the yard into the park). I've enjoyed this feature of the trail, so I'd thank the home owner if I had the chance....

The other day I saw the landscapers doing the clearing (a couple of mexican guys with chainsaws, pruners, etc.). It was not park employee's doing this work.

The change is certainly a shock compared to what is used to be, but there is still a fair amount of shade.

The change isn't all bad because now it's easier to see oncoming traffic (not just bikes, but I almost t-boned a javalina a few months back and more times than I care to remember, have almost crashed trying to avoid the rabbits....).

I don't know why the recent work has taken place but a few guesses are:
    1. there may be a new owner
    2. spruce up the view (not that I thought anything was wrong with the old one)
    3. perhaps the current owner thought about the liability of an accident as a result of his
    actions (watering causing limited visibility)

4. perhaps he/she is cutting back water usage (current recession is hurting the rich too)

If I had to put money down, I'd vote for number 3....

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    Wait, what? Seriously?

It's a Sledgehammer.
    Sep 2005
    bing, what vmb said... that oasis is very new. It wasn't there until the house was finished and started watering it.. the house was built in 95 or 96. I remember thinking it looked like a hotel was going in.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    Oh, man. That's funny. From left field too.

Quote Originally Posted by crispy
    Wait, what? Seriously?
    I remember this thread. Think he's talking about:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=536440

Sad thing is, video might still exist. I hope Sixty erased it. Twice for good measure.

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo_krkk_NIN

bobo

PS I wonder if the javelina will return to that spot now.
    Went out for a short ride on the CX bike this morning and passed by that spot. There were two rangers there talking to a mountain biker. The older ranger with the gray beard (like mine) was trying to figure out what to do -- the people who lived there had the gall to ask that the trail be re-routed. (The trail is right on the property line, which is outside of the fence.)

The ranger especially didn't like the fact that all of the brush was stacked on park property. (He didn't much like my suggestion that this wasn't that big of a deal, and said that "this problem" had been going on for 15 years.)

I think that the rangers were just there to observe the area and see what the traffic was like. (There seemed to be a property owner lurking in the background, eavesdropping.)
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

My other ride is your mom
    OK....so said homeowner can pay the money to extend his fence 2 feet north or whatever...and the trail will be "re-routed" two more feet to the north. Or...the homeowner can realize that paying a lot of money to get his fenceline adjusted a minor amount based on his plat is stupid....and buy a bigger TV. I'd buy the TV. From the sound of it....It's not like we're talking a couple hundred feet of adjustment.....we're talkin spitting distance. I guess in principle I can see his point...I'd be miffed if my property line were out of wack...but then again...I would not drop money to extend by a few feet. As for the homeowner stacking his/her veg refuse on another property (City of Phoenix)....they can cite him if they want for illegal dumping. The last thing I would ever think to do is take my lawn clippings and mesquite trimmings....and then throw them over the wall into my neighbors back yard....what this person did is the same.

Members who have read this thread: 0