Oak Creek in Sedona Too High to Cross- Mtbr.com
    banned

Oak Creek in Sedona Too High to Cross

Myself and a bunch of the Bandeleros from New Mexico did a ride today that required crossing Oak Creek at Red Rock Crossing to get from the Cresant Moon Park over to the Templeton trail.

It looked like the water was about one foot over the top of the normal rock slaps that are used to cross the creek. We tried to ride upstream to a wider crossing point, but it looked way to high to attempt crossing.

Fortunately we went to Plan B and still had a fun day. Will try Highline tomorrow from the Little Horse trailhead.

TD

zul
    Will Guide for Beer
    Thanks for that info Doc. I am planning to take the flying Canadians over Damifino on Sat ... Do you think that x-ing is possible? I'm thinking that riding Hangover on Sat might be a bit early but we plan to take a look at it and then ride Damifino ... What do you think?

zul
    If lovin you is wrong, I don't wanna be right

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zul
    Thanks for that info Doc. I am planning to take the flying Canadians over Damifino on Sat ... Do you think that x-ing is possible? I'm thinking that riding Hangover on Sat might be a bit early but we plan to take a look at it and then ride Damifino ... What do you think?

zul
    Wow:

It will be interesting if the logs are still in place. I would want to drive up there and check it out. Your other option is to ride up to the trout farm on the Damifino side of the creek and cross the bridge there. Ask Chewy what he thinks, he has ridden that a lot in the past.

TD

mtbr member
    With this mini-spring thaw and temps in the high 60s Oak Creek will probaby keep going up. Sun is going to be really warm and there's still plenty of snow n the high country to melt.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/az/nwis/uv...cd=00065,00060

Tucson, AZ
    Hmmmmm....bummer, looks like I gotta change a few things on my ride. 800 cfs, wow!
    Last edited by azepicriderandrunner; 03-04-2011 at 02:12 PM.

zul
    Will Guide for Beer
    Looking at the creek this afternoon, it looks like a no-go. We'll be riding Broken Arrow and the Hogs starting around 10:30am if anyone wants to join the Saterday fun ... PM for details.

zul
    If lovin you is wrong, I don't wanna be right

AZ Mountain Biking Member
    Thoughts for this weekend with crossing Oak Creek? Looks like on the USGS site it should be down a couple feet...?

mtbr member
    If I was to venture a guess I would think it will go back up. And it's still about a foot higher than baseflow. Even that makes getting across an adventure but doable if you pick a wide spot where the stage elevation isn't as great and flow velocities are lower. Thurs and Fri highs in Sedona are forecast to be 74F. At 7000 feet 60F. There's still some snow left to melt.

mtbr member
    Just talked to Traildoc and he says Oak Creek is still too high to cross. I would think it will come up again tonight with a diurnal low and back up even higher with the warm temps forecast for thurs and fri but the forecast indicates it staying rather steady but still higher than baseflow.
    http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=fgz&gage=oaka3&view=1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1"

banned
    I am curious if the Oak Creek flow will be low enough on Thursday for a safe crossing over the weekend. If I can be of some help in that determination by checking out the creek on Thursday and filing a report, I would be happy to help out.

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydro...,1,1,1,1,1,1,1

TD

Elitest thrill junkie
    As pointed out to me before : you can cross over on the foot-bridge, then link into Baldwin after some doubletrack.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    As pointed out to me before : you can cross over on the foot-bridge, then link into Baldwin after some doubletrack.
    J:

I agree with you, BUT how much road do you have to ride in between riding on trail? If this were a road ride I wouldn't really mention the potential changing of the route back to the Red Rock Crossing at Cresent Moon Park. Looks like the actual flow is about 25 cfs.> lower than forcasted at 8:00 AM Monday.

TD
    Last edited by traildoc; 03-14-2011 at 09:11 AM.

mtbr member
    The spring freshet for Oak Creek is about done. You don't think it's low enough to cross the stepping stones at Crescent Moon?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman
    The spring freshet for Oak Creek is about done. You don't think it's low enough to cross the stepping stones at Crescent Moon?
    I don't know for sure and I would hate to be wrong and send a group down there w/o confirming intel. Will check it out tomorrow, or sooner. Do you think the Oak Creek Crossing at Casner should be recomissioned at this point in the spring? Damifino was pretty sweet last week, and some of those better skilled tourons coming to Sedona next week might want to test their bike skills out on that ride, if they are up for the challenge. I know some folks from Calgary would have liked that crossing last week.

And it would have been nice to have run the BIG Friggen Sedona Loop down there rather than down Jordan, 89A, and 179 to Broken Arrow.

TD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    I don't know for sure and I would hate to be wrong and send a group down there w/o confirming intel. Will check it out tomorrow, or sooner. Do you think the Oak Creek Crossing at Casner should be recomissioned at this point in the spring? Damifino was pretty sweet last week.

TD
    I would wait and see what the storm forecasted for early next week is going to do. Especially if we get rain on top of what little snow is left.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    J:

I agree with you, BUT how much road do you have to ride in between riding on trail? If this were a road ride I wouldn't really mention the potential changing of the route back to the Red Rock Crossing at Cresent Moon Park. Looks like the actual flow is about 25 cfs.> lower than forcasted at 8:00 AM Monday.

TD
    My route was on road for a while, but i also noticed that lime kiln trail comes in right next to the park, can this be used to keep it mostly on dirt?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    My route was on road for a while, but i also noticed that lime kiln trail comes in right next to the park, can this be used to keep it mostly on dirt?
    J:

Not sure about that area near the Red Rock State Park. We don't ride that area since it isn't a enjoyable riding as the other 135 options. I went down to the creek today to check out the flow and it wouldn't be much fun trying to get across the normal crossing.

I got a picture of what the flow looked like today for your viewing pleasure. Like rockman said the creek would be crossable in the wider spot upstrem from the normal crossing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Members who have read this thread: 1