NRA and Newly approved singletrack alignment. Hard work ahead- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 49 of 49
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mhykhelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    227

    NRA and Newly approved singletrack alignment. Hard work ahead

    We need a strong volunteer group for the next phase of the NRA saga.

    In short NRA must come down but new singletrack has been approved. The FS will accept proposals for skills features that meet sustainable and FS criteria. More discussion to follow on AGRO to filter the naysayer clique.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,382
    Get your jumpin' fix now before the Gov't "serves" you again!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: lostboyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    562
    IKEA PIT 3000
    DDKS

  4. #4
    dirt visionary
    Reputation: clockwork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,481
    All the jumps are sustainable its trail inbetween some of it thats not.

    anyways anyone wanting to volunteer should keep in mind that this won't be a cakewalk and the jumps berms we built are mostly all rock so its not coming down easy .We built the stuff to last .

    Also I am a bit fustrated as the FS could have said something before we did the big group cleanup last year out there and they could have save us alot of trouble .

    yup i am bitter over it as nothing will be saved. But the bright side is I found some private forest land owned by a family member .North shore here we come.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

  5. #5
    AKA shitbird
    Reputation: eabos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,342
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork
    All the jumps are sustainable its trail inbetween some of it thats not.

    anyways anyone wanting to volunteer should keep in mind that this won't be a cakewalk and the jumps berms we built are mostly all rock so its not coming down easy .We built the stuff to last .

    Also I am a bit fustrated as the FS could have said something before we did the big group cleanup last year out there and they could have save us alot of trouble .

    yup i am bitter over it as nothing will be saved. But the bright side is I found some private forest land owned by a family member .North shore here we come.
    Where is this private land you speak of?
    JRA

  6. #6
    DOWNHILL MAFIA
    Reputation: JSUN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,360
    I'm down to help anytime.
    i want to post more but i can't stop riding!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,252
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork
    All the jumps are sustainable its trail inbetween some of it thats not.

    anyways anyone wanting to volunteer should keep in mind that this won't be a cakewalk and the jumps berms we built are mostly all rock so its not coming down easy .We built the stuff to last .

    Also I am a bit fustrated as the FS could have said something before we did the big group cleanup last year out there and they could have save us alot of trouble .

    yup i am bitter over it as nothing will be saved. But the bright side is I found some private forest land owned by a family member .North shore here we come.
    my dad has a small bobcat that might be able to help. if the fs is ok with that. at least the big stuff @ the bottom

  8. #8
    Fly High!
    Reputation: RidingRiot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,104
    WTF! so now all of the jumps and trails are going??? wow! and am I correct by saying the FS now wants your help to build the xc trails going through there? When is this all scheduled to get torn down? What about the last 3 pack on A line? gone too?
    "Its like Church to me, Like Church is, what it is for other people"

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tmarkos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,362
    Posh,
    Nothing is torn down yet. I believe the idea is that if we help restore NRA to the FS liking, and help build the new trail, we may have an opportunity to designate a legal skills park. Nothing is set in stone. Check AGRO for updates.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MattyBoyR6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,062
    I don't remember seeing any jumps in the area. Just a lot of well built future planters. And it sure would have been nice if FS lady Debbie would have mentioned or aluded that the place would need leveling before the singletrack went in.

    Clockwork let us know when the camping building trip is planned.
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KavuRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,745
    I hate to say this, but it sounds like you guys are getting strung along by the FS.
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

  12. #12
    Fly High!
    Reputation: RidingRiot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,104
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    I hate to say this, but it sounds like you guys are getting strung along by the FS.
    YUP !!! after the guys cleaned the whole place up from glass and lead, now the FS just wants to take it back! well someone should tell the FS that they will restore it to how it was before people started attending to it! so basically trash the place with glass and lead and throw some creepy crack heads in too and there you go!
    "Its like Church to me, Like Church is, what it is for other people"

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mhykhelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by RidingRiot
    WTF! so now all of the jumps and trails are going??? wow! and am I correct by saying the FS now wants your help to build the xc trails going through there? When is this all scheduled to get torn down? What about the last 3 pack on A line? gone too?
    This has been a long time coming. Not really news but the real deal here is that there is an opportunity to save portions but it will be a long process and will need involvement from lots of folks. Debbie said they will accept proposals for skills type lines in the approved corridor. She did not say they'd approve the proposals, but if you don't propose, you can't get an answer.

    Initially when we met with Alan at the FS prior to the cleanup (the meeting was primarily for the new singletrack), they did not tell anyone to go ahead and build unabated. They asked that no wood be brought in and don't make them come in to resolve issues and they'd turn a blind eye as long as they could. They are now giving us an opportunity to book massive volunteer hours both correcting unsustainable features and routes (i.e. the DH routes from the top) as well as building new trail. The stance at this point is that all illegal trail has to be removed. As the process moves forward the FS may look at legit proposals to save portions. They won't entertain anything if we can't show them good faith.

    I am interested to see how the community will respond to this challenge. pwrtrainer has offered equipment. Clockwork has expressed disgust but I think he can see the long view.

    In the end, all the users of the NRA can just throw it all away and move to a new area leaving it to someone else to deal with. That can be the FS someday or it can be us as the mtn bike community coming together to make something good out of this right away. It is ready right now to work on.

    I know there are those that think I am traying to save the planet as expressed in posts about contributing to advocacy. The planet is not going to get saved but access to sweet trails might get better. It is up to us to make it happen. The Land Managers are looking to see how we will repsond.

    Are we going to get a bunch of slagging naysayers tearing at the effort or a bunch of can do participants adding to the effort?

  14. #14
    Fly High!
    Reputation: RidingRiot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,104
    Quote Originally Posted by mhykhelle
    This has been a long time coming. Not really news but the real deal here is that there is an opportunity to save portions but it will be a long process and will need involvement from lots of folks. Debbie said they will accept proposals for skills type lines in the approved corridor. She did not say they'd approve the proposals, but if you don't propose, you can't get an answer.

    Initially when we met with Alan at the FS prior to the cleanup (the meeting was primarily for the new singletrack), they did not tell anyone to go ahead and build unabated. They asked that no wood be brought in and don't make them come in to resolve issues and they'd turn a blind eye as long as they could. They are now giving us an opportunity to book massive volunteer hours both correcting unsustainable features and routes (i.e. the DH routes from the top) as well as building new trail. The stance at this point is that all illegal trail has to be removed. As the process moves forward the FS may look at legit proposals to save portions. They won't entertain anything if we can't show them good faith.

    I am interested to see how the community will respond to this challenge. pwrtrainer has offered equipment. Clockwork has expressed disgust but I think he can see the long view.

    In the end, all the users of the NRA can just throw it all away and move to a new area leaving it to someone else to deal with. That can be the FS someday or it can be us as the mtn bike community coming together to make something good out of this right away. It is ready right now to work on.

    I know there are those that think I am traying to save the planet as expressed in posts about contributing to advocacy. The planet is not going to get saved but access to sweet trails might get better. It is up to us to make it happen. The Land Managers are looking to see how we will repsond.

    Are we going to get a bunch of slagging naysayers tearing at the effort or a bunch of can do participants adding to the effort?
    hmm ok just asking,,,,,if nobody was to do anything anymore including building and or tearing it down. What will the FS do? did they say they have a crew ready to do it with out the MT community? Ps I have been fallowing the AGRO thread as I get all emails from agro on my Crackberry!
    "Its like Church to me, Like Church is, what it is for other people"

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KavuRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,745
    Quote Originally Posted by mhykhelle
    This has been a long time coming. Not really news but the real deal here is that there is an opportunity to save portions but it will be a long process and will need involvement from lots of folks. Debbie said they will accept proposals for skills type lines in the approved corridor. She did not say they'd approve the proposals, but if you don't propose, you can't get an answer.

    Initially when we met with Alan at the FS prior to the cleanup (the meeting was primarily for the new singletrack), they did not tell anyone to go ahead and build unabated. They asked that no wood be brought in and don't make them come in to resolve issues and they'd turn a blind eye as long as they could. They are now giving us an opportunity to book massive volunteer hours both correcting unsustainable features and routes (i.e. the DH routes from the top) as well as building new trail. The stance at this point is that all illegal trail has to be removed. As the process moves forward the FS may look at legit proposals to save portions. They won't entertain anything if we can't show them good faith.

    I am interested to see how the community will respond to this challenge. pwrtrainer has offered equipment. Clockwork has expressed disgust but I think he can see the long view.

    In the end, all the users of the NRA can just throw it all away and move to a new area leaving it to someone else to deal with. That can be the FS someday or it can be us as the mtn bike community coming together to make something good out of this right away. It is ready right now to work on.

    I know there are those that think I am traying to save the planet as expressed in posts about contributing to advocacy. The planet is not going to get saved but access to sweet trails might get better. It is up to us to make it happen. The Land Managers are looking to see how we will repsond.

    Are we going to get a bunch of slagging naysayers tearing at the effort or a bunch of can do participants adding to the effort?
    As you can see from the majority of posts already - with the FS recent actions, I doubt any of the DH community are going to want to work with them.

    Time and time again, they have shown that they are not going to allow anyone to build any DH or FR stunts/trails on their land.
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

  16. #16
    PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Reputation: azdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,284
    I understand that Mykelle is on the right path to get a legal skills area built along with some new singletrack which is great. The local dh/fr/xc community will all need to assist though. It's just a shame that the area got so blown out which is why directions were low key for so long, but I think this would have happened eventually anyway.It sucks that so many hours of building that many did out there will be leveled. If we can get multiple areas in the works including the Ikea pit, it would give us a lot of options.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

  17. #17
    My other ride is your mom
    Reputation: Maadjurguer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,340
    Quote Originally Posted by mhykhelle
    Debbie said they will accept proposals for skills type lines in the approved corridor. She did not say they'd approve the proposals, but if you don't propose, you can't get an answer.
    OK....given this, the FS surely has published/documented guidelines in which we may follow to offer up the proposals. Where can we find these guidelines? No one here want's to waste their own time, or the FS' time with a proposal that falls outside of their guidelines....but without some documentation detailing what the FS considers acceptable, we're just guessing here. Also, where can we get details on the approved corridor? Right now....it appears that they are offering an olive branch, but not telling us how to find the branch.




  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mhykhelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by RidingRiot
    YUP !!! after the guys cleaned the whole place up from glass and lead, now the FS just wants to take it back! well someone should tell the FS that they will restore it to how it was before people started attending to it! so basically trash the place with glass and lead and throw some creepy crack heads in too and there you go!
    You may not be reading the AGRO posts all the way through. The new singletrack corridor is approved and ready to build tomorrow if there were no illegal features in place. There was no bait and switch. We as the gravity community made a good faith effort and had proposals in hand that were from previous successful skills parks. CW has those in his possession. The regrettable part of this is that we (me included) took not further action to get the NRA area adopted and now we can begin the process. It is going to take a huge positive attitude to get it done. Not act like we deserve a medal for bulding without explicit permission. Shame on us for going on blithely thinking the area would magically become legit through no effort of our own.

    Scotty Mac is working with Debbie to get the GPS coordinates of the exact corridor. We get those and we can all get together to site the area and make proposals of multi user routes and tricky routes. There is only one string here that has to ge pulled and that is the one that leads to the fact that NRA has to ne mitigated. Part of my plan is to take the most obvious and unsustainable features out first, then work on the features that encroach the corridor and try to save the lines that are on old roads etc. I don't know this plan will be accepted but walking away in a huff will be a sure way to end cooperation.

    We, as a group, have an opportunity here to help Debbie help us. We must take the first step and show we are worthy of dealing with. Let's make a plan. We can work together to make it work.

    I feel as though this public forum engenders an attitude of defeatism. Join AGRO, follow the facts and make a real effort.

    If you don't really care and want to be chased from pit to pit, then that discussion can go on for a long time. I don't care to participate in a can't do discussion.

    http://groups.google.com/group/arizo...s_invite?hl=en

  19. #19
    My other ride is your mom
    Reputation: Maadjurguer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,340
    OK....good on the GPS coords for the corridor....however I'd still like to be able to review guidelines the FS utilizes to establish whether or not something is 'sustainable' and acceptable to them. I can assume IMBA type rules on sustainability, but surely the FS has additional conditions they base their decisions on. Is this something you are privy to? If so, can you please link us to either the criteria, or as you seem to be proactive with Debbie; is this something you can solicit for us as part of the communities willingness to work towards common goals?




  20. #20
    Fly High!
    Reputation: RidingRiot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,104

    New question here.

    [QUOTE=RidingRiot]hmm ok just asking,,,,,if nobody was to do anything anymore including building and or tearing it down. What will the FS do? did they say they have a crew ready to do it with or with out the MT community? QUOTE]
    "Its like Church to me, Like Church is, what it is for other people"

  21. #21
    dirt visionary
    Reputation: clockwork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,481
    Yes I see the long term good in this if everyone pitches in .However if it had been know that a STACKED loop system was in the future we would have stopped right then and there. That would have alleviated alot of this.

    Also the WOOD has no bearing on the new trail system and wasn't a deciding factor to add a STACKED trail system . SO QUIT making it seem like it was as it was not the reason . What it is ,is a demand for more trails in this lovely area which is pushed by WHO yup other trail users around . So in the end this was inevitable and was bound to happen as others have been pushing for years to get NEW SINGLETRACK added to the Hawes system/usery system.

    I wish this discussion would have happend on AGRO but it was posted here so now its has to deal with the constructive and non constructive critisim.

    The biggest thing is if all goes well and we as a cummunity don't get stuff we progess on . Such as bigginer stuff to expert stuff it won't stop people from building rouge jumps to satisfy that need.

    what we want as a cummunity is our own Blackrock and areas of the sort.

    Also I will add I was there At the clean up and Talked to Debbie with a few other riders and at no point were we lead to beleive the FS had plans for the areain any shape or form.As a matter of fact we were asked what we would like to see in this area including down in the pit itself. Now the pit is to be a parking lot ...........We even went as far as destroying jumps others at built in the pit itself becuase the FS said it had to go and if they did it they would take our stuff also.

    I also apologize for my disgust but I have alot of things going on in my life at the moment and this just rubbed me the wrong way and added to my list of bothersome things going on around me right now.

    I am behind the coummunity and what everyone wants. But we all need to come together to try and make this work. If not I don't want to waste my time.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

  22. #22
    dirt visionary
    Reputation: clockwork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,481
    Yes I agree we didn't move forward but again . THe FS is very hard to work with during the summer as they all switch from the trails to the lakes and hours are cut back for all.I had called many times during the summer only to get no return calls as the majority of the rangers weren't avail .Therefore right now is the time they switch their focus back to trails and it was in the plan to approach them again on the subject . Also they have /had the same copies of the proposals that I have.


    Also if the corridor is the same corridor that HAS ALREADY had the new connector built on it then I really don't see what we can do in that area as I have already walked the entire new trail.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mhykhelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork
    Yes I agree we didn't move forward but again . THe FS is very hard to work with during the summer as they all switch from the trails to the lakes and hours are cut back for all.I had called many times during the summer only to get no return calls as the majority of the rangers weren't avail .Therefore right now is the time they switch their focus back to trails and it was in the plan to approach them again on the subject . Also they have /had the same copies of the proposals that I have.


    Also if the corridor is the same corridor that HAS ALREADY had the new connector built on it then I really don't see what we can do in that area as I have already walked the entire new trail.
    CW, the trail out there is most likely a wildcat. FS has not given a go ahead on anything within the approved corridor.

    If we want to make a specific proposal, then that is what we need to do. The ones you have are examples only. I don't know that you are going to see a Black Rock type of park there. There is a fellow working here in the Phx area who is one of the original folks inviolved in Black Rock. Bootleg builders have threatened that area as well. It will take a lot of work and there are not garauntees. Just like life.

  24. #24
    dirt visionary
    Reputation: clockwork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,481
    Wow I wouldn't have thought it was a wildcat trail as it was clearly marked with flags prior to its build and now its cleared to apporx 3ft wide and crosses over from wildhorse runing across both a and b line then continuing south to bulldog canyon . If indeed it is then I know where our stolen tools went.

    I guess that means this trail will also have to be erased?
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mhykhelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork
    Wow I wouldn't have thought it was a wildcat trail as it was clearly marked with flags prior to its build and now its cleared to apporx 3ft wide and crosses over from wildhorse runing across both a and b line then continuing south to bulldog canyon . If indeed it is then I know where our stolen tools went.

    I guess that means this trail will also have to be erased?
    I will look into it and report on AGRO. I sent a note there a minute ago.

    Any ideas who built it since it sounds extensive?

  26. #26
    dirt visionary
    Reputation: clockwork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,481
    Not sure I assumed it was Chris G. and Company. Its not too bad but crosses a few sandy washes off to the side of the intersection of A and B line after the 3 pack . There are also a few other ?able areas but all seamed to be done in a proper manner. Drainage was added where it needed to be , Tress cut with a saw and cut back flush on most cuts and all timber was hualed off. The route was flagged for a while and the orginal cross path across A-& B line was reflagged a different route right at the end. When I walked it there was no tire tracks on it which meant they didn't ride a bike out .Also I was able to tell that most of it was very fresh . This was before the last set of super soaking storms rolled thru .

    I posted up about it as someone said they heard about a new connector that was going in and I replied its already done. Most of the trail was easy to build as over half is on one finger that runs south so all that had to be done was clear some vegitation.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

  27. #27
    caninus xerophilous
    Reputation: SunDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,741
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    OK....good on the GPS coords for the corridor....however I'd still like to be able to review guidelines the FS utilizes to establish whether or not something is 'sustainable' and acceptable to them. I can assume IMBA type rules on sustainability, but surely the FS has additional conditions they base their decisions on. Is this something you are privy to? If so, can you please link us to either the criteria, or as you seem to be proactive with Debbie; is this something you can solicit for us as part of the communities willingness to work towards common goals?
    http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/...2806/index.htm

    A great resorce no matter what, and it is the USFS guideline for trail building.

  28. #28
    Freeride Pabstist Church
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    278
    Bummer on the news about the pit. I've enjoyed the time I've spent there while vacationing in y'all's fine state.

    I'll be back out in late April for at least 2 weeks and I'd be more than happy to help out any way I can.

    Matty, I hope you have healed well from the augering demonstration you gave last fall.

    Tony, the shock you sold me is working like a champ.

    Best of luck with your situation. I hope some of this can be salvaged.

    Oh, I applied to the agro group so I can keep up with things.

    Peace.

    pb
    I reserve the right to make fun of your beliefs if I think they are stupid.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tmarkos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,362
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahboy
    Bummer on the news about the pit. I've enjoyed the time I've spent there while vacationing in y'all's fine state.

    I'll be back out in late April for at least 2 weeks and I'd be more than happy to help out any way I can.

    Matty, I hope you have healed well from the augering demonstration you gave last fall.

    Tony, the shock you sold me is working like a champ.

    Best of luck with your situation. I hope some of this can be salvaged.

    Oh, I applied to the agro group so I can keep up with things.

    Peace.

    pb
    No worries, nothing is happening yet. Might have to take another business trip soon!

  30. #30
    dirt visionary
    Reputation: clockwork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,481
    Quote Originally Posted by SunDog
    http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/...2806/index.htm

    A great resorce no matter what, and it is the USFS guideline for trail building.
    Good Stuff mang
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

  31. #31
    I'm Lazy, So I Shuttle
    Reputation: Greffster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    874

    sucks man

    Man I know I might sound bitter about it and I dont even ride out there as much as most of you do, but I thought the forest service was about preserving nature and building trails around it? Since now the jumps have been there for so long they have cactus, grass, and other vegitaion growing on the not to mention I saw a couple burrows in some jumps. So now in order to build yet more XC trails they will be distroying the above stuff in addition to what ever they cut down to build the trail. Doesnt really make sense to me.
    But they will do what they want reguardless of who stands in the way. I think its clever how they now want the Mtbr community to do all the work for them so they dont have to pay someone to do it. I say unless they give in writing, and have a location for a skills park in exchange for the labor, then we let them do it alone. No more empty promises.
    If that is the case then I would be glad to help. If not they will have fun doing it alone.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.- Julie Furtado

  32. #32
    caninus xerophilous
    Reputation: SunDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,741
    Quote Originally Posted by Greffster
    Man I know I might sound bitter about it and I dont even ride out there as much as most of you do, but I thought the forest service was about preserving nature and building trails around it? Since now the jumps have been there for so long they have cactus, grass, and other vegitaion growing on the not to mention I saw a couple burrows in some jumps. So now in order to build yet more XC trails they will be distroying the above stuff in addition to what ever they cut down to build the trail. Doesnt really make sense to me.
    But they will do what they want reguardless of who stands in the way. I think its clever how they now want the Mtbr community to do all the work for them so they dont have to pay someone to do it. I say unless they give in writing, and have a location for a skills park in exchange for the labor, then we let them do it alone. No more empty promises.
    If that is the case then I would be glad to help. If not they will have fun doing it alone.
    Do not be a negative spectator, think positive and be positive. Turn this thing to your advantage by learning how they work and then grab the bull by the horns and get things done right.

    I was negative about some local trail re-routing down here in the OP. At first I was angry with how things were being "sanitized and built for the lowest common denominator" MTB'ers. I was ignorant and misguided.

    I established positive contact with the authorized trail building organization. I participated, learned the trail building guidelines and slowly fomented a change in attitude by demonstrating, with consent, that sustainable freeride stunts can be added within the authorized corridor as b-lines that provide an opportunity for riders seeking that kind of trail.

    I guess in short try not to be negative and learn their standards and goals and modify them to fit your desire for the classic NRA stuff.

    Learn their system, gain their respect, and make it work for you. If you should loose this battle, at worst you will be prepared for the next one.
    Last edited by SunDog; 01-29-2009 at 05:13 PM.

  33. #33
    dirt visionary
    Reputation: clockwork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,481
    Good Point .

    I am going to write up a deal tonight explaining how we as a strong positve group can make this all work in our favor including the whys and what ifs . It will take a bit so give me some time . But when I am done I am sure everyone will see things clearer and we can all get on the right page . This will resolve some of the confusion of what is happening

    Stay tuned........
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

  34. #34
    I am Doctor Remulak
    Reputation: AZ Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,413
    Quote Originally Posted by SunDog
    Learn their system, gain their respect, and make it work for you. If you should loose this battle, at worst you will be prepared for the next one.
    Dawesome! Totally dawesome. Best information I've seen posted on this subject in a long time.

  35. #35
    dirt visionary
    Reputation: clockwork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,481
    Alright folks here goes.......Not as much detail as I wanted but a good start.

    We should start off knowing that what is happening was inevitable. It has happend sooner than any of us expected but the demand for new trails in the Usery Mountains has been heard for sometime and the FS has funds to make this a reality. Problem is the existing NRA stuff is smack dab in the way. I am sure the FS can and will get together crews to Tear down everything at NRA . However if they do then they most likely won't have the funds for the new trails/loops. If they get volunteers from other sources than us most likely everything will get torn down . If another group builds the trails/loops then there is no chance to salvage or incorporate anything at NRA.

    So if we as a group come together and put in the volunteer hours to remedy the NRA stuff and built the new trails it will give us the opportunity to rework and incorporate some of the single track and features at NRA as alt tech lines. This is a very good reason to be positive about this and do what we need to in order to be the crew doing the demo and new work . Being that crew WE will be the ones routing the new connector and loops which allows us to have the chance to salvage what we can. Once we have the GPS of the approved area/corridor we will be able to see whats feasible and whats not .

    For those that think NRA will disappear overnight need not to worry as this will be a time consuming process. As its been mentioned. its going to be a restoration/Salvage/new build operation . There is enough people involved with other organizations that we have the chance to take things further by getting donations from other sources to help fund the new construction and addition of tech features. This will go over with the FS very well as its less $ out of the budget for the new trails and they won't be funding the new tech stuff that may include sustainable wood & none wood features that will be built to FS standards and whistler standards.

    I am with the cummunity and if no one wants a chance to salvage this then let it be known and we will let NRA suffer its fate in its own timeline. As with no support we can't make it happen anyways.But if we are going to do this then we need to stay on top of it . By taking care of a few things now we are paving the way a bit and it will show that we are serious about it . So when we get the GPS we can take a look at the corridor and see what it does and doesn't affect from there we can make a master propsal for everything to the FS which includes the new connector and loop/s.

    I know for one us mtb'ers could make a much flowier snd interesting trail than a bunch of hiker or equestrian types doing the trail building.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: supermoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    515
    LK and I are willing to pitch in to build, tear down, whatever it takes to keep the pit alive. Thanks to Mikehell, CW and all who are working through the red tape, etc to make it happen.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    188
    Alright, I am in for the long haul. Whatever needs to happen to keep NRA alive I will give of my time freely so it can happen. Just let me know what and when things are going to happen and I will be there to help.

  38. #38
    dirt visionary
    Reputation: clockwork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,481
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

  39. #39
    wretch
    Reputation: Truckee Trash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,079
    Count me in. . . i've got more blood to spill out there

  40. #40
    AKA shitbird
    Reputation: eabos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,342
    I'm with you 100%. Let's make something happen out there.
    JRA

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tmarkos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,362
    What ever the NRA community decides, I'm there 100%.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    251
    Quote Originally Posted by RidingRiot
    WTF! so now all of the jumps and trails are going??? wow! and am I correct by saying the FS now wants your help to build the xc trails going through there? When is this all scheduled to get torn down?
    Does the FS have the funds and or labor force to do anything withOUT the assistance of the cycling community? I'm not a downhiller or dirtjumper and yet the lack of a cross country trail in the remote and tiny section of land has never been an issue to me. Is an extra mile of trail needed or even requested out there? Make the pit a parking lot...isn't there a parking lot with amenities a few miles away? Why is this pos microscopic piece of land so dammed important now?

    What would the repercussions be for doing nothing either way yet continuing to ride the area? Let's say one has a FS land use permit.

  43. #43
    dirt visionary
    Reputation: clockwork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,481
    Yes they have the funds and the labor to get the job done.......I guess you should have read my last post .

    If we leave it up to them it will leave a bitter bitter taste in their mouth as the funds they have would do better applied towards their plans for the area.They have 2 options for their funding which is limited. They have to take care of number 1 before they can do number 2.

    1. Use funds to remedy NRA area.
    2. Use funds for new recreational trails in the area.

    There are enough volunteers to be had to take care of it without us involved. If we don't push to be the responsbile party now we may not get much of a chance with the FS again and they may take a strong stand against what has gone on . Some forget they know my full name plus age ,address ect and are very aware who I am and what I have done at the pit along with the help of others that they only know a first name of .Sure would hate to be made an example of .

    Anyways its late and been a long day ...
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MattyBoyR6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,062
    I didn't realize they knew the extent of your "involvement" Are we going to schedule a demo day and log the hours with the FS, or will it be knock a jump down here and there as we are out?

    We should schedule in one last hoora of filming and pictures though.
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

  45. #45
    dirt visionary
    Reputation: clockwork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,481
    No it will all be logged as Volunteer hours with the FS as was the NRA cleanup. The only thing we are doing ahead of time on our own is the Decomission of NWO and it's wood features. One bridge is already gone . Bob is taking his stuff down on his own to which is fine as he put in the work to create it so its his choice.

    Nothing eles will be done until its on FS volunteer hrs.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    188
    alright well the only thing we can do is wait then until they give us the go ahead. That and ride!

  47. #47
    dirt visionary
    Reputation: clockwork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,481
    yes correct . Also NWO is still rideable as of now but that last bridge is gone so if you want the whole line you got to clear the NWO stepup
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2
    Clockwork and others, I know I'm not really part of the FR/DH community out at NRA and I haven't really contributed to the building of and trails/features there. But, I like many others enjoy having a place like NRA to ride, so whatever help you may need I am happy to contribute in order that NRA may survive. Just keep us posted and I am happy to volunter however nescessary.

  49. #49
    dirt visionary
    Reputation: clockwork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,481
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.