Thread: Nowhere Man

My other ride is your mom

Nowhere Man

This is for the man child who told me to go ride my bike....not that I need reminding:

Last weekend saw me put together a pretty decent effort in Arizona Endurance Series, Prescott Monstercross. No camera, minimal stops, no mind games, no looking at my mileage and tripping out on how many more to go. Just soft wind at my back, conifer and oak in green, streams of blue and cool, tacky singletrack.....and solitude in nothingness for 8 hours and 38 minutes. I shared the singletrack with Noel, Jason and Brian at the start....then it was just Jason and I....then it was just me....Nowhere Man....riding alone for the bulk of the race. I rode with Nancy for a bit, until she climbed away from me into nothingness as she always does. I also remember wanting to puke during one climb...but I let it disappear into nothingness without giving it any more thought....and it went away. I came away from that ride feeling as if I'd found the nothingness once again....it's something I seek, but only finds me. To look for it makes it slip away....and yet I felt as if I had the formula for making it happen. I set out to test that theory on a ride on Pass Mountain.

I've always liked this road view on the approach from my house. A road to nothing....ending in dirt at the base of the Superstition Wilderness. Looking east from this view, I imagine that at the end of this road just a few miles ahead...there is nothing....all the way to the New Mexico border....and then, more nothing. Looking into nothing is comforting. Yet, within all that nothingness....is a world of wonder, defined by the present and free from the past and future.

Stopping to adjust my suspension after the road approach, I snap a picture of the recommendation to not ride into nothingness.....

The hillsides in the nothingness are still filled with gold, but the coming summer heat is shrinking the colors away into smaller, yet more refined representations of themselves, much as I am.....

Stopping to shoot some ocotillo blooms, a lone coyote stared back at me...."Nowhere Man, doesn't have a point of view, knows not where he's going to, Isn't he a bit like you and me?"

Climbing north on the western face of Pass Mountain, the skyline is dominated by Saguaro's; rivaling any skyline found in a big city; I'll take nowhere over somewhere, any time.....

Prickly Pear, offered a convenient stop before the climb around the north side. The lack of winter rains have left the desert without the blue flowers of spring....my Mach 5's blue anodization offers a supplemental palette.....

Pollen spread thick as nebulae, ring the green core of the universe within........

On the other side of the trail, I spot the home of a recluse doing what a recluse does....."He's a real nowhere man, Sitting in his Nowhere Land, Making all his nowhere plans for nobody".

Climbing around the north side, contouring up above the valley to the west of Bulldog Canyon, I struggle to show the tightness of singletrack carved in granite with such limited field of vision........

.......and yet convey the expansive void of nowhere.........

Cresting the pass, I stop to adjust my suspension yet again, lower my seatpost for the descent and shout songs at the tops of my lungs at the mauve cliffs encrusted with olive drab lichen across the valley. In return, I hear the echo's of a Nowhere Man, heading back and out into nowhere land.....

Almost to the bottom of a speedy and flowy descent over various forms of rounded chunk, chunky chunk, lumpy chunk.......and razor chunk....I'm stopped by the hiss of two sidewall gashes...one in front, one in back. Patching the rear with the fluid within the tire, the air escaping stopped. The front however, was too far gone. Throwing in a tube....I went on my way......"Nowhere Man, don't worry, Take your time, don't hurry, Leave it all till somebody else lends you a hand!"

Lyrics by John Lennon
    Last edited by Maadjurguer; 04-19-2011 at 03:57 PM.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Great post! And just when I was contemplating hitting that loop this weekend. This may have sealed the deal. Love the shot with the saguaro skyline. Seems like the sidewall tears are at fever pitch right now, between the ones Freeskier and I tried fixing on his rig, the one I got at BCT, all the ones I heard about on the AZT300 and of course the PMC..... What gives?
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

Got a suspension fork
    awesome, thanks!
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Good Read!

Thanks

bland
    Nice work.

banned
    Finally something positive on here...I had almost given up

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit
    , all the ones I heard about on the AZT300 and of course the PMC..... What gives?
    People buying lightweight, cheap tires. Panaracer rampages have never failed me. Heavy and durable.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the positive thread and pics.

mtbr member
    yes, I agree as well. Great TR.
    So, Mad I've only ridden it once clockwise but it seemed a bit of heaven then hell. Well, not that bad but the tread changes drastically from the relatively smooth granite substrate to (I presume) volcanic breccia or metamorphic something stuff on the backside that makes for all the baby heads and added excitement? Anyhoo, well played. I hope to ride that over easter weekend.

mtbr member
    Very Nice! Loved all the pics!

Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    People buying lightweight, cheap tires. Panaracer rampages have never failed me. Heavy and durable.
    I put the 29er 2.3 version on my bike a few weeks ago and I like it. It looks mean, and I've heard that they last forever. Raybum said his as like 1200 miles on it. Niiiiiice. We'll see if the Saguaro last ast long...

mtbr member
    Good stuff. Just the kind of thing I hoped I'd find while enjoying a beer on the patio after a good workout and a tough day. Gracias.
    If your in Phoenix tonight, go outside. Big old red moon rising, cricket chorus, no wind, perfect.

My other ride is your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman
    yes, I agree as well. Great TR.
    So, Mad I've only ridden it once clockwise but it seemed a bit of heaven then hell. Well, not that bad but the tread changes drastically from the relatively smooth granite substrate to (I presume) volcanic breccia or metamorphic something stuff on the backside that makes for all the baby heads and added excitement? Anyhoo, well played. I hope to ride that over easter weekend.

Back side (SE side) is chunk from the ignimbrite deposit that forms the yellow stripe on pass.....momentum is your friend as you drop off the saddle and head south.

@Dag...I killed a Saguaro Today, and a Weirwolf....I hope to patch the Saguaro....Weirwolf is not looking good since the tear is at the bead.

Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    Back side (SE side) is chunk from the ignimbrite deposit that forms the yellow stripe on pass.....momentum is your friend as you drop off the saddle and head south.

@Dag...I killed a Saguaro Today, and a Weirwolf....I hope to patch the Saguaro....Weirwolf is not looking good since the tear is at the bead.
    Bummer. Got a Weirwolf on the SS.....that I was planning on taking out tomorrow.....

Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    Not in my case.
    I got a 1.5 inch slice in the middle of the tread of a brand spanking new Weirwolf - hardly a lightweight tire and at $40 - not what I'd consider cheap. This was coming down one of the ripping parts of 305. I'm just happy it was near the end of the ride.

Let'er Buck
    Keep up the stoke
    "Powder River, Let 'er Buck"

mtbr member
    great post Maad.

thanks!!!
    b

Rhino
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer

I patch my tires. Inside and out. Just put a patch of the outside of the tire before the Coco and it got me 200 miles with no issues. When I patch the outside I usually put blue paint tape on the rim so I know where the patch was in case it gets ripped off.

mtbr member
    Great pics! Did this loop a while back and loved it. Going to try it as an out and back next time. Looks like it would be a 5 mile pump track on the way back.

Give it a crank
    Great photos and prose, nicely done!

pedaller
    More of this. Less of the other.
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

dirt visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by tmarkos
    Great pics! Did this loop a while back and loved it. Going to try it as an out and back next time. Looks like it would be a 5 mile pump track on the way back.

IMO its almost as much work on the way back as it is on the way up. I perfer doing it as a loop.

Nice pics mad!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

Members who have read this thread: 0