mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Notes from a Whiskey Newb.......

1. Should not have skipped pre-ride. Underestimated length of 1st climb and gassed out with a mile left. Was caught about 5 times hitting a technical section with a water bottle or GU pack in one hand while scrambling to get the bike under control.

2. Come up a couple of days early to adjust to elevation. Seemed such a small difference in elevation from PHX, but I was feeling goofy at the top and not in a good way.

3. Go with Camelbak instead of water bottles. Too many long tech sections where I could not take a drink.

4. Cramps suck.

5. 50 proof SSers have big B*%#@!

6 Listen to other forumites when they give a recommendation for a restaurant. Went to a tourist trap and had a horrible and expensive meal.

7. Stream crossing are fun! Makes me feel like a 6 yr old again.

8. Need to sign up for next year's event today.

That was definitely the best bike event I have attended. Organized well with great volunteers. I love you guys who drive out to a seeminly random spot in the wilderness just to ring bells and cheer us on as if were racing up Alpe d'Huez.

It's a Sledgehammer.
    Sep 2005
    It was super fun!! weather was primo (even the wind turned out to not be too bad riding, it was worse when you were waiting around for your friends). Trails were cleaned of Baby heads.. thank you trail crew! 48 and 260 were awful 2 or 3 months ago when I last rode it.
    The 48 entrance reroute was great too!!
    I failed on my goal of 3 hours for the 25, but I was close.... the spread from 3:06 to 3 is an awful lot on the standings! Lotta fast guys, really fast.
    My little anecdote was coming around the 25/50 corner and Deejay birtch was coming up the same time from his trip to skull valley so I decided to try and hang on with him, that was a BAD idea.

I tried a cannondale rize demo for the race.. now that is a really nice bike.
    24 pounds, endlessl travel, lockout for the roads.. a really nice race bike for
    an all mountain rider like myself. those new titus's loooked really nice too.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Despite a hard fall where I got scraped up, it went really well.

The mass-start and climb up the road was interesting. I was riding up to the front of the pack the entire time, but it took a lot of weaving in and out of traffic. Luckily I had some "fans" on the road that knew me, so the moral support helped.

If there was one place where I felt held up, it was on 393, not that it was all that bad, just that I had a faster pace than the person I was behind, but there weren't many good spots to pass. On the other hand, not passing could have preserved my energy and been a positive thing. I pulled off at the top of the climb before 48 to put powergels in my pocket, something I had wanted to do before the race. Had powergel #1 at this point.

My local knowledge payed off many times on 48, where either I knew something wasn't worth it to try and climb (not always impossible, just that there'd be a net loss in attempting to do so) or I knew that those in front of me wouldn't be skilled/strong enough to do it anyway.

Once I got on the downhill section there were a few people near me, but I pass a few people and put some distance on the entire downhill. It's amazing how fast you can go sometimes, and the rebound damping on my hardtail's rear end sucks.

The climb back up 53 started off slow for me as I took down powergel #2. Once again, there could have been some benefit to my local knowledge. I passed a few people, a few people passed me, but at the end no one was really pulling that far ahead. One guy was riding on a hardtail in a really low gear (I don't ride in low gears) and he would spin up that real steep section and pass me, then stop and rest, then do it again. It just seemed kind of comical, but I told him "You're almost there!..........and then the climbing starts!".

I saw Ed at the Aid station, but turned down the offer to eat and drink.

On Copper Basin road a few of the very fastest 50ers passed or were riding at about the same pace. The grind up was as expected. If you can ride up the previous part of 53 where it gets real steep, you'll survive the grind up Copper Basin, although you might not like it. You don't want to bonk too early, but there aren't many climbs after that grind.

The single track across from the overlook was fun, anytime there's rolling singletrack or downhill I can close gaps pretty fast. The doubletrack descent was just as fast as I was expecting from the week before. Again, it's amazing how fast you can go, and how it doesn't really matter what kind of bike you are on. I hit a rock at once point that I thought was for sure going to pinch-flat me, but I was running at least 40psi in the rear, just to avoid pinch flats (and because of the extensive road riding). Worked out.

I hit the ground pretty hard (at speed) on 51 right before the turnoff. I just got too agressive and the front tire slid out, which caused some good scrapes. I got back on the bike and started pedaling again, but it took a few minutes before the pain subsided and I could increase my speed.

When you get to 323 you get somewhat pissed because there's a short steep climb in your way. Not all that steep, but at that point in the race it feels like it. The grind up that wasn't fast.

Then on 392 I get to go fast again, pass a few people, keep going across and down to 326. Tried to cross the creek at a different place than normal to pass someone, but it didn't quite work at the end, no matter, things were moving pretty good.

Got on the road and just dropped the hammer. Pedal a 29er all out in the big ring and you go like crazy. The very last climb on park ave sucked, but I didn't want to push it too hard and risk locking up my muscles. Then when I turned to the final downhill I again just went flat out and must have passed the finish line around 40mph.

Overall it worked out pretty good. My time was somthing like 2:55 and good enough for 7th in my class. The concert was good and the event was real nice. Good job.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Awesome time none the less.

I have a Rize and love it despite my efforts to find flaws. 24# is light. Was that the carbon frame?

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    The very last climb on park ave sucked.
    No doubt. Not expecting that, and I was totally tapped and spinning out down the road.

Overall fun race.

Summary:

Did great up the first climbs.

Hammered 260 at an unbelieveable pace.

Totally bonked and got passed by the world climbing 53.

Hammered down from the overlook being an a$$ while passing slower folks in front (I am totally embarrassed now about the race rage that overtook me, my apologies to anyone I bothered. It was uncalled for.)

Got passed on anything even resembling a climb on the entire descent.

No idea how I finished, but my time was 15 minutes better than 5 years ago and the course is a bit longer than then so I am happy.

Highlight was "racing" another SS rider spinning down the final road (he was in the 50, so not a real race), but we were both tucked in and out and spinning our brains out when we could. It was comic.

I won't be racing again any time soon because I don't like the person I turn in to. I a pretty mild dude, and I turned into a total jerk in traffic. Again, sorry.

Didn't even freaking look at the overlook. Lame.

mtbr member
    Great race and course. Well organized and Todd was amusing at the pre-race meeting.

Despite not pre riding his description of the course really helped, although preriding the first singletrack climbs would have helped me a little. 260 was not as bad as thought it was going to be but I was not flying due to crappy downhill skills and my rigid fork!

Did my good deed for the day and stopped to help crashed rider on Copper Basin just down from the aid station. I had phone and got to dial 911 for the first time! Good to help but sucked to see so many riders pass while me and other rider "tim" helped out.

Got chased by dog in Skull Valley on road on way back up, he was growling and trying to bite my feet, I threw him my pretzel but he did not stop and then went after rider behind me!

Came in just sub 5 hours which I was pleased with after my time loss helping Edwin out.

Climb up was definetly brutal on the SS but was able to pass some people and despite going 4mph at one point I was able to make it all the way to the top.

Met some cool people and love hanging in Prescott, good dinner at Papas Italian and hit Mayas for lunch!

Im ready for next year!

In the rear with the beer
    I was fat and slow but still had a great time! I got to cheer on all the folks coming back from Skull Valley while I was heading out...and most of them encouraged me. A lot of people encouraging each other at the back of the pack. It was a good thing!

I thought 260 was the nicest it had been in the 3 years I've done this, I thought it was actually fun this year rather than scary. Got passed on 58 by a kid who looked about 13...who was riding the 25, so that was a bit humbling, but I'll just tell myself he will win the Tour de France someday. I hope the couple of guys doing their first whiskey that I talked to at the Skull Valley rest stop kept going and finished, quitting can stick with you for 365 days. I stayed on the bike a lot more this year than last on year, just mentally telling myself to keep spinning and I'll get there. Cut about 20 minutes off last years time.

Its amazing how the incredible fun of the last 10 miles makes you (almost) forget (most) of the pain of the prior 36 miles..... was hollering out in glee most of the descent. Most of the folks were already finished so hardly any traffic heading down, so I just descended like a boulder. Ah!!!

Of course, today I'm saying I'll never do the 50 again.....but I'm betting I'll be back again nex year.
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

In the rear with the beer
    Quote Originally Posted by jperson
    (even the wind turned out to not be too bad riding, it was worse when you were waiting around for your friends). .

Yeah, my GF spent the day hanging out in that wind, trying to manage 2 dogs (one not very well behaved yesterday). She was a little on edge by the time I finished. She handed me the dogs this morning and said they are mine for the day....she needs some peace and a nice windless day.
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

mtbr member

whiskey results

Anyone have the results yet.

mtbr member
    Another Whiskey Newb report here as I did the 25.

Had ridden portions of the trails since I live here in Prescott but never the entire route since I decided to do it a week before.

The start was interesting as all I was doing was trying to not run into anybody. I saw some girl go over her handlebars just as we started moving. Hope she was OK. Jayem started right in front of me and that was the last I saw of him.

Once on 393 it was funny to see some of the lycra clad crowd already having problems with the few rocky uphill sections. I wonder how they did on the water bars? It was slow moving till 260 which was a blast. Then the long climb was gruelling but everyone I talked to said just pace yourself which I did.

Once to the aid station while a little tired I did not feel real bad and was looking for some downhill. Then I was told I had a few more miles of uphill....yuck. It was amazing to see so many women on single speeds just grunting up the hills. Hats off to them.

The last little climb past the overlook was the toughest but then the downhill came. What a blast down to Thumb Butte. With the exception of some slower riders on 326 (I think it was the 13 year old kid again) and the Park Ave. incline all went well.

For my first time doing a mountain bike race I finsihed it, had no major issues (minor cramps), had fun and finished right at 3.5 hours and got 20th in the "old guy" division.

Looking forward to next year.

Jeff

Steel is Real
    Feb 2008

Good times!

This was my first Whiskey Off-Road, and all in all, it went pretty well for me. I raced the 25 on a rigid SS 29er running 32x20. I got a lot of nice compliments on my new bike, so I have a new motto... "If you can't ride good, look good!" Haha

I knew going in (after pre-riding the course last week) that there was going to be a ton of climbing, which also happens to be my weakest link. So my strategy was to start slow and reserve energy for the monster climbs. I purposely started about 3/4 back in the pack. Unfortunately, my strategy didn't work as well as I had hoped. I was climbing on pace with the pack, at least in the beginning, but whenever there was a descent or "technical" section, I found myself all over whoever was in front of me, but no passing lanes to be had. It was frustrating at times, but I tried to keep my cool as best I could. Eventually, I would find an opportunity and blast by a few folks, but as soon as we hit a climb, I was off the bike and they would pass me back. This would prove to be the theme for the day.

After bonking bad during my pre-ride last weekend, I made sure I had more than enough nutrition to finish this thing. Unfortunately, I kind of over-supplemented in the beginning which left me feeling very full and bloated for the first half of the race. I decided to lay off of the sticky junk about mid-way.

For me, that climb up 53 and then from the 25/50 split up to the overlook is a royal killer. I just can't seem to stay on the bike (32x20 proved to be too big a gear for my feeble legs) and I walked a ton of it. On a positive note, walking really wasn't too much slower than the geared bikes rolling up in granny gear...

I finally started feeling really good (no more bloat) after the overlook and was shredding the descents, but the legs were shot for that last little climb before Garden Grove. I saw a lot of other people cramping up in this area, but I knew the beer, uh, I mean, end was in sight, so I stuck it out and fought through the pain. Flying through the creek crossings at Mach 9 was a lot of fun. Once on the road, I spun the SS till I could spin no more, then tucked in for the drop into town. I was also kind of caught off guard by the little climb up Park and struggled to keep moving. Caught a gearie at the turn and we drag raced to the finish. Unfortunately, the 32x20 was no match, and he got me by about a foot.

My goal was 4 hours and I finished with and official time of 4:04 (4:00 flat according to my Garmin ). According to the results posted, that netted me something like 35th out of 41 SSers... not exactly what I would consider a strong finish, but I kept 'er on two wheels and finished, so I guess that's all that really matters. Anyhow, I was pleased with my results (time-wise) and overall, it was a lot of fun. Lot of nice peeps out there racing and a very well run event. Special thanks to all of the supporters out there cheering us on, you really do make a difference and inspire us to keep pushing! Also, thanks to the City of Prescott and the local po-po for keeping us all safe and off the hoods of cars.

Hats off to Todd, Rob, Shu, Billy, Christie, and the rest of the trail crew who did an amazing job! I have no idea how they were able to get 260 in such good shape... it was atrocious just the weekend before. Also, congrats to all those juniors I saw out there shredding the 25... U guys rock!

So it was, indeed, an "Epic Ride"...
    Last edited by Notch Johnson; 04-26-2009 at 12:32 PM.

mtbr member

Hopefully she mellows...

if you guys ever have to raise babies!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigdudecycling
    Yeah, my GF spent the day hanging out in that wind, trying to manage 2 dogs (one not very well behaved yesterday). She was a little on edge by the time I finished. She handed me the dogs this morning and said they are mine for the day....she needs some peace and a nice windless day.
    One of these days I'm gonna pull myself together
    Soon as I finish tearin' myself apart

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by azbeersnob
    I saw some girl go over her handlebars just as we started moving. Hope she was OK.
    That was Katrina. I guess a lot of people saw it, but she did pull off 4th in her catagory, so that isn't too bad.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

It's a Sledgehammer.
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    That was Katrina. I guess a lot of people saw it, but she did pull off 4th in her catagory, so that isn't too bad.
    jm, nice race!!! you killed it, hats off to ya. 2:55, I'm jealous..

aka Diesel
    I think I got something like 4:07? My comrade and I took it easy, and kept it a good time. Mission accomplished.

For some reason it went by faster than the pre-ride, and although I did have to wave the white flag and walk a few short sections (injured rib, which made for interesting breathing) as someone mentioned, the gearbies were pretty-much going the same speed as we were, so... meh. Ride, walk, or crawl, I crossed the finish line.

Best part of any Epic ride, is that for the most part, people were good-spirited, and letting the support flow. That said, my apologies to the police officer who bade me turn right up Park, and got a face full of stink-eye from me. I could have handled that more gracefully. Those volunteers are like a God-send, when the going gets tough.

Super proud of everyone who took on the Whiskey, and especially proud of my Man Clan who tore it up and placed high. Now it's time to train for Tour of The White Mountains!
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Results are posted...

The preliminary results are now posted on the Epic Rides website.

E !

Woo Hho!

This was a fun weekend for me. First timer on the whiskey 50 and first time to Prescoot. Epic rides knows how to put it on! The levation gain kinda hurt coming from Vegas, otherwise all was good. My goal was to finish in the top 100 in the 19-44 open. What a chance of luck, i just saw the results and i am100th. Yee hAW! I like the coaster(tile?) they give you at the finish.
    Next time i'll probably try to do some rides at higher elevation prior.