NOTE: New Starting Point for McDowell Mtns. Double Bypass Redux this Saturday!- Mtbr.com
    I am Walt

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! NOTE: New Starting Point for McDowell Mtns. Double Bypass Redux this Saturday!

I also posted this in the specific ride thread sticky above...

As I mentioned might happen, we are going to start from a different spot to:
    A. Avoid having to take roads for the first mile and a half, or so, and
    B. Hook up with the steward group from the McDowell Sonoran Preserve
    C. Finish on a little-known connector from the Bell Pass trail over to the Quartz trail
    D. Enjoy post-ride benefits...see below...

Start-time is still 7:00 am sharp FIP and spinning cranks!

The starting point will be at the bottom of the Quartz Trail at the McDowell Mountain Ranch (MMR) community center off of 105th Street. It's a small lot, so I recommend parking in the plaza across the street next to Cafe Portbello. That way, we won't jam the lot at the community center on a Sat. morning. By the way, one of the MSP stewards lives in MMR and has extended the invitation, so it's cool. In fact, he has generously offered the use of the facilities after the ride (showers, pool/hot tub, grills for burgers). This would be BYOB & M. (booze & MEAT!).

Here are the directions:
    - Exit the 101 at the Frank Lloyd Wright exit
    - Go east on FLW for approximately 1.5 miles
    - Make a left on Thompson Peak Parkway (or make a right onto Thompson Peak if you happen to be approaching from the south). Continue uphill and across the bridge.
    - At the light turn right onto McDowell Mountain Ranch Road
    - Continue for 7/10 mile and turn right at the second light on 105th Street
    - Take the first right into the plaza with the Portobello restaurant and park there.

Gear up and rally across the street at the community center. We will be starting this time by going up the Quartz trail. It's a little harder towards the end than going up the Taliesin trail, but it's a suffer-fest anyways, so why not start suffering sooner?

And again, we have the opportunity to enjoy a post-ride gathering, so bring things you'd like to cook, eat, drink and share...

A reminder that this will be a hard ride and will take 6+ hours. We will have a SAG stop at the Golden Eagle TH in Fountain Hills, so bring about $5 to contribute to that cause.

See you Saturday AM!
    Ride more; post less...

Happy trails

still in...

riding gears this time around.
    Aaron

Not a Barry supporter.
    Gears rule!

I'll be sufferin' a lot but that's good for the soul.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

NardoSS
    Bumping this back up.

I'll be there with SS 20...still no baggy pants though. :-)

Steep Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    he has generously offered the use of the facilities after the ride (showers, pool/hot tub, grills for burgers). This would be BYOB & M. (booze & MEAT!).
    Just a warning that the after-BBQ may be up in the air. Jean Michell had to cancel and I believe he was our only MMR contact - Cathy can confirm. I will still bring a few beers in case folks can hang.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by AZClydesdale
    Just a warning that the after-BBQ may be up in the air. Jean Michell had to cancel and I believe he was our only MMR contact - Cathy can confirm. I will still bring a few beers in case folks can hang.
    Too bad...well, most of us will be across the street anyways...
    Ride more; post less...

Meatbomb

We will be starting this time by going up the Quartz trail. It's a little harder towards the end than going up the Taliesin trail, but it's a suffer-fest anyways, so why not start suffering sooner?

!

I'm impressed, if that is the trail on the north side that comes up out of the rocky wash, I've never been able to clean it. It gets real steep at the top just past that cut off trail over to the street .. There is always someone in their backyard watching me hike a bike up that dang hill It sure is a fun downhill though ..

you guys scare me

Steep Hill
    Too bad...well, most of us will be across the street anyways...
    Portobella's is an easy answer.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    I'm impressed, if that is the trail on the north side that comes up out of the rocky wash, I've never been able to clean it. It gets real steep at the top just past that cut off trail over to the street .. There is always someone in their backyard watching me hike a bike up that dang hill It sure is a fun downhill though ..

you guys scare me
    That is it...not too bad on gears; heavy on the SS in that one spot.

It will be a nice wake up call for all...
    Ride more; post less...

Meatbomb
    That is it...not too bad on gears

show off......

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    show off......
    I went up that way a week and a half ago on the 2-9 SS and didn't make that one part - spun out. It is very loose going up. BTW, it's the section right below that little double-track section...
    Ride more; post less...

meow
    Quote Originally Posted by AZClydesdale
    The BBQ & pool is still on! The key will go to the lead pack so they can get started while they wait for us slow asses to finish. I won't be able to stay all afternoon so we'll aim for the party to finish up by around 3.

Members who have read this thread: 0