mtbr member

North Rim - Rainbow Rim Tr Conditions

I am traveling through the area on a long mountain bike vay-kay road trip. Wondering about the rainbow rim; anyone have any details on the conditions up there??? I see highway 67 into the National Park is not slated to open till May 15th, not sure if this closure is at Jacob Lk or further south. I will be in the neighborhood May 10th or 11th. Perhaps it is just too early to ride the rainbow. Any data would be helpful. Thx.
    Last edited by Grizzattack; 05-01-2011 at 09:17 PM.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement." -- Mark Twain

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzattack
    I am traveling through the area on a long mountain bike road trip. Wondering about the rainbow rim; anyone have any details on the conditions up there??? I see highway 67 into the National Park is not slated to open till May 15th, not sure if this closure is at Jacob Lk or further south. I will be in the neighborhood May 10th or 11th. Perhaps it is just too early to ride the rainbow. Any data would be helpful. Thx.
    Just drove through on my way to Zion. Plenty of signs saying the road is closed but I did not look to see if the road was actually blocked or barricaded.

There was no snow on the ground although it was a nice ~45 out at around 5pm. You could see some slight rain clouds dropping water but when we got into it it was the lightest of all snow just drifting to the ground. It was gone so quick it didn't even run up or down the windshield.

I'm almost positive that the roads stay closed simply because they have to keep the North Rim on a specific schedule. They can't just call up the workers at the lodge and other places and say, "hey, we're opening early this year" and expect to get fully staffed on time.

So, it'll be good riding but don't know if you can get any further than the 89A/67 junction by any motorized means.

mtbr member
    Gate was still locked as of a couple of days ago, and there's still a lot of snow at the higher elevations.

I doubt the gate would ever be opened early though there is another gate right at the Park Boundary. They used to try to open earlier on drier years (May 10th) but after getting burned a couple of times it's now May 15th at the earliest.

There are ways around the gate and you could get out to the Rainbow Rim on dirt roads west of Jacob Lake. But it would be a long drive out there.

Other option exist though. You could ride the AZT north or south from Jacob Lake. If you go North be prepared for a slog climb back up.

I was just up that way to the State Line Campground terminus of the AZT. The last 11 miles of single track is pretty sweet. I did a 20 mile loop up on roads then rolling single track to the final drop to the state line.

The start of the single track.

It's not the Grand Canyon but pretty sweet non the less.

I would say the final 11 miles of the AZT is a more interesting trail then the Rainbow Rim. Maybe not for the big views but from a purely MBT rolling fun single track perspective. More then one rider has pointed out that the Rainbow Rim trail it self is a little bit flat and not that much fun.

To reach the State Line CG TH is on House Rock Valley road this can be accessed off of 89 or 89a. The easiest less dirt way is off of 89 in between Page and Kanab between mile post 25 and 26.

Enjoy

Tim
    Singin' I love hike a bike!!!

mtbr member
    Thanks. I talked with the ranger and she said the only way to get in was to take FR 22 from Fredonia, AZ. Looks like a long slog on a dirt road, anyone ever driven in that way?
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement." -- Mark Twain

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzattack
    Thanks. I talked with the ranger and she said the only way to get in was to take FR 22 from Fredonia, AZ. Looks like a long slog on a dirt road, anyone ever driven in that way?
    I have went that way lots of times. My favorite places to camp are off that road at Gunsight Point.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You can also get around the gate and get back to the pavement by staying just east of the highway to the north rim on dirt roads. The gate's not far south and the roads aren't bad. Take the road about 2 miles east of Jacob Lake (next to the AZ trail) south till you get around the gate. You will have the road to yourself. The road to the Rim will be blocked but it's south of the turn to the Rainbow Rim. While the views don't compare the AZ Trail is more fun.
    With the dry winter I'd bet the trail is ready. Camp at Locust Point in the trail's center and ride 2 out and backs. No bathrooms or water.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    I found this alternative around the gate too (Click Google Map link below).

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...7&ie=UTF8&z=14

Anyone had luck going this way?

mtbr member
    Hmmmm, might want to keep in mind that the area will be totally empty, no help anywhere from anyone should you get stuck, injured, sick or have car trouble. Are you running solo or will there be company?

mtbr member
    Years ago I looked up the word adventure, Webster's gave pretty much the same definition as Wiki.
    "An adventure is defined as an exciting or unusual experience; it may also be a bold, usually risky undertaking, with an uncertain outcome."

Have fun and be smart, you only live once.

mtbr member
    Ha! The last two posts are great! Thanks. I am planning on checking in at the Ranger Station in Fredonia, so If I dont re-emerge from the wilds I'll have my bases covered. The solitude is what I am after so, hwy 67's closure is cool with me. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Cool, letting someone know where you are heading and when you should return is a good plan.

Just noticed your Twain quote that's sums it up pretty good.

You may not be as alone as you might think, when I was out that way on a through trip 04 or 06 I forget, there was somebody at the north rim park gate. Pretty sure they had come in on FR22. You are not alone in seeking solitude, if that makes sense.

Enjoy it.

Tim

Members who have read this thread: 0