Thread: North Rim?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

North Rim?

Has anyone been there yet? Do you know what kind of shape it is in?

I am planning on heading up next Fri the 28th I will be by myself and a little concerned about being out there. Will there be many people on the trail? Should I be concerned about that, I usually ride by myself but not that far out from everything. If anyone wants to join me you are welcome to. I don't ride really fast, but I would like to go for a long ride as long as I am up there. I usually average about 8.5 mph on rough hilly trails.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyrunner99
    I don't ride really fast, but I would like to go for a long ride as long as I am up there. I usually average about 8.5 mph on rough hilly trails.
    Careful of the edge and the bears. 8.5 mph should be fast enough to outrun them.

rainbow rim or AZT?

Explore More
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    Careful of the edge and the bears. 8.5 mph should be fast enough to outrun them.

rainbow rim or AZT?

I'll be up there Memorial Day weekend, Fri - Sun, doing a 115 mile bikepacking trek. Then to Gooseberry on Monday for some slickrock!

Here's a map of the route. I've got the .gpx file if anybody is interested.

...So, being I've never been up that way myself, would you say that it would be wise to bring along a bear bag/food hanging system?

Also, since you know the area and routes, should the lakes(though small they are) and tanks all be full to filter water or should I plan on stopping by the lodge on Sat and Sun to refill?

Enjoy the water next weekend!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails North Rim?-memdaytrekmap.jpg  

mtbr member
    This guy was up there last week http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate...rUrl=Translate see page 22.

Looks like there is still a lot of snow at the higher elevations, he didn't ride any of the trail the way it looks. Some of the pics do show dry ground it's been dry at Jacob Lake since the AZT racers went through 2 weeks ago but I should think snow is still an issue on some parts of the trails up there. On the up side it's got to be melting fast with 100 degrees in Phx today.
    Singin' I love hike a bike!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Well the weather was beautiful, a little windy on Fri, the 28th but perfect temps. The trails were dry, and for the most part clear. There were a couple snow drifts still, and few down trees. The aspens were not budding out much yet, and the grasses were not very green yet at the higher elevations there. Even with all that it was great ride and great to get to see the scenery up there. I will try to get some pics up in the next day or two.

It's a slugfest!
    RR99, I'm still waiting for these North Rim pics... I'll be up in that general vicinity this weekend...

-SS
    "I've got nothing to hoard...."

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Pics

Sorry I had been busy and forgot I put this up. Here they are.

Explore More
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Slug
    RR99, I'm still waiting for these North Rim pics... I'll be up in that general vicinity this weekend...

-SS

Just go and do it. Conditions were super this past weekend. A few trees down along the AZT/KPT, but no big thing. Only little patches of snow in the shade up high, but water everywhere it should be. So glad I didn't have to carry camp water with me all weekend.

Members who have read this thread: 0