No Glove(s) no love- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

No Glove(s) no love

Well, my AXO Descend gloves have finally bit the dust after 6 plus years, and I'm in the market for some new ones.
    What are people riding? Any recomendations or stay away froms?
    I looked at the reviews page, but who can sift thru 100's of styles, and 1000's of reviews?
    Not me.
    I'm looking for gloves that are good for the phoenix area and lots of rocks, not muddy, rooty trails.

Any thoughts on mechanics gloves from autozone/checker?
    Thanks for the wisdom....

AKA shitbird
    I've gone through tons of gloves and so far the two that have lasted longest for me were Oakley (forgot style name) and 661 Comps. The 661's surprised me since they are one of the more inexpensive gloves around.

As far an functionality and bang for your buck (no aesthetic consideration) I would guess that mechanic gloves would probably work great.
    JRA

Pivotal figure
    I just like to dig thru the clearance rack at Cycle Gear and find something I like. Seems like every time I find a glove that works, it gets discontinued. You really have to try them on though, no good if the fit is poor.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    POW gloves....look'm up..been rock'n a pair fer a lill while..like'em..

they are a strait up riding glove

Putting an order together today @ Cactus so they should be in with in 2weeks depending on ava. and all.

mtbr member
    Right!! I never would have thought of a motocross store, I'm heading over today.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Mechanix Gloves from any auto/home store.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    i'm not one to pay alot for gloves for i just destroy them. but i like a moto style glove for fit & duribility and had excilent luck with ordering from the clereance section on motosport.com. usually i pay $8- $20 for some thors, answer or no fear. all seem to work well.
    j

mtbr member
    I really love Troy Lee Designs MTB gloves. They have no padding in the palm which is what I like (I always cut out the padding on MX gloves when I raced dirt bikes) so they won't bunch up and give me blisters. They also have the terry swipes on each glove- left for spit, right for snot! The model I have is an older one and I haven't finished unpacking from the move so I can't get to them yet- but they have no armor on the outer which I like too. I have at least 2500 miles on these gloves and just ripped a finger tip open. Am debating on getting a new pair or having these ones sewn up!

For downhill stuff I would probably just use moto gloves too with the palm padding removed so I had the armor on the outer.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by ajmelin
    Right!! I never would have thought of a motocross store, I'm heading over today.
    Yeah, moto gloves are exactly the same as riding gloves. Lots of people use fox dirtpaws, but there are other decent ones too. The handlebar diameter is essentially the same with motos, so they have pretty much the same construction/features. Not only that, but they're not overly expensive, like some mtb gloves are. Maybe moto gloves had lots of padding in the past or something, but I haven't seen any recently.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    My craftsmen work gloves worked great for mtb. The only real difference is mtb gloves often have a little curve in the fingers and padded palms. Broken in work glove are fine for me though. And at 15-30$ a pair cheap enough too!

mtbr member
    Work gloves would be great for protection- but they have no venting for summer which is important to me since I tend to pool a lot of sweat in my gloves.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=cstem I tend to pool a lot of sweat in my gloves.[/QUOTE]

True that!!
    I sweat like a pig too.
    Just got back from Cycle Gear's discount rack and got a pair of 661 comps for $15.

mtbr member
    I bought a pair of 661s awhile back... they work great and vent well, and the grippy stuff on the index and middle fingers came into play more than I thought they would. I use these on long rides where I don't have to take my helmet off and on frequently. Since its a pain since I cant feel what I am doing.
    I got a $8 pair of Bell fingerless gloves from Walmart... I cant remember if I found these in the weight lifting area or the bike area... The whole back of the hand is vented and the palm is like a pillow. Nice on falls and I can mess with my helmet without taking my gloves off. I use these when I am doing NRA type stuff.

mtbr member
    I'm not a big fan of fingerless gloves while on the mt. bike. Like you said, the silicone on the finger tips is a pretty big difference, and plus I like the mental protection full finger gloves give me that my fingers will take less damage when I fall.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Can I ask why you would go out and spend money on gloves you dont know, if you had gloves that not only lasted 6 years, but you obviously liked wearing?

mtbr member
    Ya sure, no problem.

First, the gloves in question are toally kaput. Ripped seams, holes in the fingers, basically beyond repair. Trust me I tried. The gloves lasted so long in part due to the fact that I wasn't riding for a good portion of those 6 years.
    They just happened to be gloves that I bought super cheap that fit. I wasn't married to them, even though it may seem like it. I am however married to my wife, who still thinks my 09 Giant Trance X3 cost me $500 (its a long story, there was a broken frame trade in etc etc), and like cheap accessories. I wear the same clipless shoes to mt bike and road bike (crankbros candies). I don't swap pedal between bikes, I'm not that cheap. Plus the pedals that came with the Giant are blue and gray, and the road bike is red, boy would that clash.
    AXO is now 661, and the same named gloves are different now from what I can gather.
    Looking online, not many of the glove descriptions mention whether of not the thumbs are terry, which is a must for me, especialy now when it's (kinda) cold out. I hadn't thought about that feature when I first asked for help in my search, but realized it's importance once I got my hands on some at CycleGear.
    I'm hesitant about buying clothes online, because not only am I cheap, I'm picky. I like to get my hands on things. I hate to pay return shipping, and won't keep/wear something I don't like. I also fear change. I'm still rocking Vans "Old Schools" one blue pair one black, because I like the way they feel. No DC, no Nike, no new vans with the puffy tounges. Old Schools.

I apologize for going on and on, and hopefully answered your question in my babbling.

lurker extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Yeah, moto gloves are exactly the same as riding gloves. Lots of people use fox dirtpaws, but there are other decent ones too. The handlebar diameter is essentially the same with motos, so they have pretty much the same construction/features. Not only that, but they're not overly expensive, like some mtb gloves are. Maybe moto gloves had lots of padding in the past or something, but I haven't seen any recently.
    I just picked up some Dirtpaw's. I've been looking for an excuse to pick some up for a while and, well, lucky for me that I leave a pair of gloves on the bumper of my car and drive off at least once every couple of months (I even left some Fox Launch elbow pads with 'em this time)!

For $21.95, this is a tough glove to beat! They're easily as nice as any of the mountain bike offerings from Fox that I've used so far.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajmelin
    I am however married to my wife, who still thinks my 09 Giant Trance X3 cost me $500
    I subtract 50 % from anything I buy when I tell my SO the price..

Members who have read this thread: 0