NINER Demo Day in Prescott- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

NINER Demo Day in Prescott

NINER Demo Day

with John "Fuzzy" Mylne

Where: Ironclad Bicycles 710 Whitespar RD

When: April 23

Time: 1:30 - 4:30

I'm not affiliated with NINER, just passing on the info.
    Who Dares Wins

Powered by ice cream.
    Will they have a WFO?
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Over the Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    Will they have a WFO?
    Good question.....

Elitest thrill junkie
    I'd like to try the niner suspension bikes, but that's a day before the Whiskey Off-Road Race, and I won't be riding bikes that day.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    I'd like to try the niner suspension bikes, but that's a day before the Whiskey Off-Road Race, and I won't be riding bikes that day.
    Are you saving your strength? Racing again?

Heck last year I took a Grand Canyon hike the day before. (not recommended if you want to go fast)
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Are you saving your strength? Racing again?

Heck last year I took a Grand Canyon hike the day before. (not recommended if you want to go fast)
    Shhhh! Don't tell everyone. Ed got my reba rebuild kit in today. Rigid no more! I can finally stop swearing so much on the trail.
    Last edited by Jayem; 04-05-2010 at 08:12 PM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

banned
    Mar 2010
    Will they have a WFO?

I was in Ironclad the other day, and dudes said Fuzzy is bringing a trailer full of all the 2010 models, so imagine the WFO will be there.

mtbr member
    damn, i work that day!! Hells Bells!

Master Gardener
    badass

mtbr member
    Didn't you go on a Niner bashing tirade a while ago? What happened, change of heart, or just feeling like less of a troll?

I wouldn't buy the niner, those guys haven't been building bikes for very long and it shows (just go read the threads on the board). The biggest thing that bugged me was how there was a KNOWN flaw with the jet-9, but it took a long time for niner to come out and say that people shouldn't be riding/buying them. If you do go look, you'll see the saga continues. It's kind of like they bit off more than they could chew as far as bikes and the development of said bikes.

Honestly, I'd choose a 4-5" travel 29er though, something that pedals decently like a 429, sultan (although it is a bit heavier), or rip-9er (except for above issues). The 4-5" 26ers are ok, but for a marginal weight gain you will carry a lot more momentum with the 29er. The criteria is "fast", and not necessarily the "most fun" or "most versatile". With that criteria, I'd say go for the trail-29er with a decent suspension system. These newer systems like DW, CVA, VPP2, and so on allow for decent traits without some of the traditional tradeoffs like harsher travel or inactive suspension that has been the rule for most single-pivot and other older designs. The 29er hardtail completely crushes the old 3-4" 26" XC bike IMO, it rolls over stuff as well or better, pedals better due to being a hardtail, and doesn't weigh any more or possibly lighter due to being a hardtail. Only when the travel and terrain get way up there does the advantage go down significantly. In that sense, bikes like the 429 will be amazing due to being a little more race/speed orientated with the benefits of 29er wheels and the benefit of decent travel amount/quality.
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Pynis McDermott
    Didn't you go on a Niner bashing tirade a while ago? What happened, change of heart, or just feeling like less of a troll?
    Just because I felt that their bikes showed poor development doesn't mean that I wouldn't like to try em. They've also been making a lot of changes to the models, in any case, I'd still try em. I'd demo Ellsworths if they were here, just to have fun and try more bikes.

mtbr member
    That WFO looks sweet.
    SHITBIRD

Underskilled
    The WFO is sweet. I have been trying one for quite a while now.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

Members who have read this thread: 0