mtbr member

Night Riding in AZ

Let me start out by saying I'm a total NOOB at night riding so excuse my ignorance. My plan this summer (when the heat is unbearable) is to start doing more night rides. I just ordered my Magic Shine 1400 and 900 so I should be equipped.

What time do most people ride at? I was planning on getting up super early around 3 am and hitting the trail at 4am before the sun rises. I figure that's the coolest part of the night (or morning depending on who you are).

Where do most people ride? That might be a loaded question since I figure it's probably not exactly "following the rules" of most places to be out on the the trails at night. But seeing how I rarely see any enforcement on the trails I ride in the day time I figure they are most likely not patrolling at 4 am either (unless there was some kind of complaint).

im4Gsus
    most people start their summer night rides ~7pm or later. i don't find that cool enough.

i like your idea better of hitting the trail at 4am...but boy that's gonna be hard getting out of bed at 3am...

i H8 summers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

mtbr member
    3 am is only an hour earlier for me, right now I'm getting up at 4 am so I can take a dump and eat breakfast before my ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    3am? 4am? Yikes man! I'd classify that as early morning rides rather than night rides. You're getting the 'coolest' temps for sure and I bet there are the fewest people at that time though...

If I night ride I'll be out at 9pm or so. I've got two MS 900s and they give more than adequate light. SoMo and Hawes offer some good night ride options.

skilldest©
    I stay on flatter trails at night unless in a group - for safety reasons. Park rules are important. BUT IF I were to go outside park hours I WOULD stay on the fringes (away from main gates for example). That is pretty damn early...

mtbr member
    I do night rides at SOMO and Hawes all the time. Generally I do not park at the pima lot at SOMO since there are lots of rangers around the evening / night time. However, I do travel through the area, and will generally just turn off my light when I do so to avoid the rangers.

I would recommend starting from 46th st lot as an alternative instead, there is a security guard or an off-duty cop usually around there keeping an eye on things.

JohnniO
    Not saying anything for or against Magic Shine but if you search for Magic Shine on this website you will come up with a ton of threads full of users that have between 1 and 100 posts the majority of which are about Magic Shine lights.

Kind of like the Global Bikes formula.

A number of the users are on several different threads raving about them.

They may be good lights but I call bullsh!t. I've heard them mentioned around the boards lately kind of matter of fact style and something seemed a bit scripted.

mtbr member
    I like to hit the trails at around 4:30 am and no light is needed. If you want to get use out of the lights, I'd suggest actually riding at night.
    I'm here for the OT

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    All I know with MagicShines like them and they are cheap for the amount of light. Biggest negative is they're not the lightest which costs 4x as much.
    I get my dogs out at 4:30am all the time, still almost cool in Tucson then.
    agmtb

JohnniO
    Quote Originally Posted by abegold
    All I know with MagicShines like them and they are cheap for the amount of light. Biggest negative is they're not the lightest which costs 4x as much.
    If there are a number of users that post about nothing but Magic Shine lights repeatedly they must be great .

I looked at some more just now, They try to sound unbiased by comparing them unfavorably to something else for one reason or other but in the end chose the "Magic Shine bla bla model # bla" ...

I'm not hating on trying to make a buck but it's a bit dishonest.

mtbr member
    From someone who doesn't own a magic shine light (I purchased 2 night rider lights last year when the Magic shines were out of stock in most places), I wish I did. The magicshine light that was selling for around 90 dollars last year output as much as my 300 dollar nightrider light. My friend using the magicshine light went on all the same trails for just as long as I did without any issues with the magicshine light.

The only knock I can give to the light is the amount of heat it produces. I have also heard some stores do not want to stock them based on their unreliability as compared to a nightrider or light&motion. When you are talking about a light that is a 3rd of the price as the other lights, it performs up to par in my opinion, with a few shortcomings that are easy to look over due to the price.

JohnniO
    Quote Originally Posted by DankyCass
    From someone who doesn't own a magic shine light (I purchased 2 night rider lights last year when the Magic shines were out of stock in most places), I wish I did. The magicshine light that was selling for around 90 dollars last year output as much as my 300 dollar nightrider light. My friend using the magicshine light went on all the same trails for just as long as I did without any issues with the magicshine light.

The only knock I can give to the light is the amount of heat it produces. I have also heard some stores do not want to stock them based on their unreliability as compared to a nightrider or light&motion. When you are talking about a light that is a 3rd of the price as the other lights, it performs up to par in my opinion, with a few shortcomings that are easy to look over due to the price.
    I'm not for or against the lights. I don't care. I already own lights. I'm just pointing out how they are Spamming MTBR with bogus puppet accounts like Bikes Direct used to do.

banned
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DankyCass

Most bike shops don't want to carry them, because they have gotten used to the fat profit margins of night lights in years past, so they try to steer you to the most profitable lines.

I'm with stupid -------->
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnniO
    I'm not for or against the lights. I don't care. I already own lights. I'm just pointing out how they are Spamming MTBR with bogus puppet accounts like Bikes Direct used to do.
    I have two and know a few other "real" people that have them... nothing but good things. Sorry my post count is low, but that doesn't mean I am not real. There are many lurkers on this board that only chime in from time to time, don't count them out just because they aren't regulars. Some may be fake but I can attest that mine work great....

mtbr member
    I ride SOMO (DC usually) about 2-3 times per week. Usually on the mountain by 4am. Usually only see one or two other guys per week out early enough for lights.

JohnniO
    Quote Originally Posted by jdpowers
    I have two and know a few other "real" people that have them... nothing but good things. Sorry my post count is low, but that doesn't mean I am not real. There are many lurkers on this board that only chime in from time to time, don't count them out just because they aren't regulars. Some may be fake but I can attest that mine work great....
    maybe true but that doesn't negate the countless other users(puppets).

I'm not pointing out anyone on this thread. All you have to do is type Magic Shine in the search box and look at all of the threads on other boards with users that post nothing but MS Spam.

I wouldn't think spammers would get such a strong defense.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

I'm not pointing out anyone on this thread. All you have to do is type Magic Shine in the search box and look at all of the threads on other boards with users that post nothing but MS Spam.

I just got two magic shines and went on my first night ride about a week ago. They're great and they're cheap. I'm not sure I understand your conspiracy theory. Do you work for NiteRider? lol

Anyway, when I went on my first night ride I parked at Pima Canyon, but parked outside the gates. It was just before 7 PM and I ran into a ranger and picked her brain for a few minutes. To my suprise, she encouraged me to park in the lot even if the gates were going to close soon so that the neighbors don't get irritated and seemed very cool with people being in the park after dark. She understood that many people use the park after hours because of the temps and was totally cool with it. This was not at all the answer that I was expecting ...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I ride north mountain (trail 100 area) in the evening purty often during the summer months. I usually leave the house any where from 7 - 10 pm, sometimes I take the dogs out with me as I rarely run into anyone.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I get out of work at 1:00 am, SoMo is awesome at that time of night. I'm running with 600 lumens, works fine for me. It's amazing, when taking a break, shutting off the light and dark acclimating, it's not really that dark out there.

mtbr member
    I have a few friends whom I trust that recommended Magic Shine (one works for Oracle and the other works for ConsumerReview network... yes MTBR.com). They said the light doesn't actually out put the listed Lumes (900 is more like 700) but that they are so damn cheap it's almost hard to justify buying anything else.

My plan was to ride DC, Hawes and possibly McDowell (on their Saturday night rides). I extremely familiar with those trails so I figure they will be suitable for night riding for me.

Black and Sticky
    One way to get involved night riding is to try the summer series of night rides at McDowell Mtn Park. Look at http://www.maricopa.gov/parks/mcdowe...x?EventID=2352 . Search the calendars on that site. This year half of the rides are Pemberton Trail and half are at Comp Loops, both in MMP.

I ride Phx Mtn Preserve at night all the time. Highly recommended.

As far as lights go, I own Lupine, Niterider, Sigma, and MagicShine. You did fine with your choice. Agree with TurgleGerl that MagicShine is best bang for buck, although highest quality is Lupine, which is stupid expensive. Your light choice is perfect because you can ride with 1400 on bars and 900 on helmet.

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Night riding is great... I highly recommend it.

However... I actually do way more in the winter. This time of year it's daylight at 4:50 so I can do almost two hours and still get to work by 7:30.

The short days of fall and winter are when the lights really pay their way

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleGerl
    I just got two magic shines and went on my first night ride about a week ago. They're great and they're cheap. I'm not sure I understand your conspiracy theory. Do you work for NiteRider? lol
    :

You're just a puppet....

I'm with stupid -------->
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rideandshoot

However... I actually do way more in the winter. This time of year it's daylight at 4:50 so I can do almost two hours and still get to work by 7:30.

+1 My lights are retired until fall.

And I take my SPAM seriously...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rideandshoot

Ditto. I use mine more than anything on training road rides during the winter when days are shorter.

I have to be at work at 7, so if I'm not on the trail by 4 in the summer, I can't get in a good solid 2 hours. Plus, I have to ride through Guadalupe at 3am to get to the trail...so I like my lights on bright!

Chunky Monkey

SpammO

Maybe they are NOT spammers. If you are local in Phoenix I can show you a BIG box of $200-$400 lights, need parts?

Thx,
    John
    Lurkers Unite! Never mind....

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by cru_jones
    I ride SOMO (DC usually) about 2-3 times per week. Usually on the mountain by 4am. Usually only see one or two other guys per week out early enough for lights.
    Is that you I passed yesterday morning out there, at around 430 ? I was headed towards Pima canyon lot. I am out there 2-3 mornings per week. I leave my house at 415 and am usually on DC by 430.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenobite39
    Is that you I passed yesterday morning out there, at around 430 ? I was headed towards Pima canyon lot. I am out there 2-3 mornings per week. I leave my house at 415 and am usually on DC by 430.
    Sounds about right. I rode this morning too and I'm not sure I remember seeing anyone today. I think we crossed on the Pima lot side of the water tower. Usually catches me off guard to see someone, as it's pretty rare that early.

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleGerl
    Anyway, when I went on my first night ride I parked at Pima Canyon, but parked outside the gates. It was just before 7 PM and I ran into a ranger and picked her brain for a few minutes. To my suprise, she encouraged me to park in the lot even if the gates were going to close soon so that the neighbors don't get irritated and seemed very cool with people being in the park after dark. She understood that many people use the park after hours because of the temps and was totally cool with it. This was not at all the answer that I was expecting ...
    I have tt Rangers in the lot before 5 am and they don't have a problem with you being out there before the gates are open in the morning.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    anyone ride at T100?
    2000 something DB Sorrento
    2010 Motobecane 29Pro SL

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by cru_jones
    Sounds about right. I rode this morning too and I'm not sure I remember seeing anyone today. I think we crossed on the Pima lot side of the water tower. Usually catches me off guard to see someone, as it's pretty rare that early.
    Yeah, that was me on the Pima side. I was out there today with my girl riding but we didnt get there until 445 so we got a late start.

EDR
    I rode National up/down at night a few weeks back. That was a blast. Highly recommend it.

Two of the guys had Magicshine lights. They work awesome. Wish I had one. They are just Chinese produced stuff sold under several names but for 1/3 of the cost, why not?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks for the info everyone. I just put in my order for the Magicshine 900. I'll put that on my handlebars and pair it with my helmet-mounted MiNewt.

mtbr member
    From a debbie downer perspective.... I find that riding at night is MUCH harder on the equipment due to the lack distant vision. At the last MMP event, I was plowing into rocks and going way too deep into turns and hammering the brakes. I felt every other turn was going to dent a rim or flatten a tire.

Granted, I only have one very bright handlebar light... perhaps a helmet mounted light would help with this?

Members who have read this thread: 0